Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

babies and water

• 13-01-2011 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

as my wife is heading back to work soon i've been handed responsibility for keeping our little one intact. i've obviously been given the list of do's and don'ts with things like, 'feed', 'warm', 'play' on the do list and 'chillies', 'coffee', 'knives' on the don't list. she's an astute woman to have identified the areas of concern so accurately.

anyway, i'd been desperately trying to think of what to do with the baby all day long. i'm not naturally a very caring person and the thought of sitting around the house all day fills me with dread. so i thought i'd chance my arm and a couple of days ago i brought her to the local swimming pool. she absolutely loved it. for the full 15/20 minutes in the water it was smiles for everyone and shrieks of delight all round. and then, as soon as we get in he car to come home she's out for the count.

we've been every morning this week and each time it's the same. to me, this sort of information should be on the manual that they come with. anyone else take their little ones into the water and get the same? i'm really surprised as she normally hated baths.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭RedXIV

What age is the baby? my little one is heading for 6 months now and she likes to splash in the bath alright. Might still be a bit young but she might enjoy it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

The joys of swimming :) it is amazing what it does to them and when they're older it helps too. My eldest went on this i'm not eating my dinner. so instead of a big row i used to take her swimming for an hour or so and by the time we got home she'd eat the table never mind the dinner.. invaluable;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

My little lad loved swimming from about 4 months. I was bringing him from 10 weeks. They can be reluctant at first with the newness of it all but they really love the sensation once they're used to it.

My husband looks after out little guy two days of the week as well so I know what you mean about looking for things to do.

Another good one is if there are any story mornings around your area. They love the nursery rhymes. There's one in our local library and you can get the baby a library card and he can take board books out on loan. :)

Once the weather improves the local playground it a good place to go as well, most babies love swinging.

I think the most important thing though is to get out of the house. It can seem like such a chore at first but the boost you get really helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 limerick_lady

I'd give a limb to be able to spend my mornings with my son, unfortunately we're in the situation where we have to send him to creche! :(

Either way, find out if there are any parent & toddler groups in your area. I was at one while I was on mat leave, and there were dads there with their little ones too! It was great for the babies on a social level, as well as for the parents, and we've kept in touch since we've all headed back to work!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭d4v1d

RedXIV wrote: »
    What age is the baby? my little one is heading for 6 months now and she likes to splash in the bath alright. Might still be a bit young but she might enjoy it?

she's just gone six months. we were not too certain about it before we went but it worked out a treat.

the other suggestions offered up are also much appreciated. i'm going to spend today seeing what is available in the area and get out a bit more with her. many thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

not knowing your area, it is hard to suggest things, but you will find some lists of things to do and places to go on rollercoaster under their local living section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 GAK

try mykidstime.ie pretty good site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Is there a special nappy u can get to keep things in would love to bring my wee lad swimming just afraid of him having an accident lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭coats

elius wrote: »
    Is there a special nappy u can get to keep things in would love to bring my wee lad swimming just afraid of him having an accident lol

You can get little swimmers nappies for the pool in most supermarkets :)

Advertisement