Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dear Galway, I need your help!

Options
  • 13-01-2011 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Before anything else is said, I apologize in advance if I have broken any rules by making this post. You can take me out back and beat me with the ugly stick when I'm done.

I want to move to Galway City. My life, as I know it, came crashing down around me last week, and I'm now faced with a unique opportunity. I have no constraints. I have found myself left with a mess to clean up from a previous relationship, and then I find myself with no plans.

After speaking with friends and relatives I was blown away by just how many people heard my story and immediately said "Move to Galway". I've been told how amazing your City is on countless occasions, and likewise have been told to spend a couple years there on just as many occasions.

So **** it. I'm from Newfoundland, and there's no bloody jobs here either, so why not try something different? Getting a visa is no worry, thanks to the Working Holiday agreement Canada and Ireland have.

But a job is a problem. I'm having a hard time even knowing where to start looking for work in Galway, with the ****ty part being that it's largely due to the fact that there's no work for the Irish, let alone us leechers and wannabe rovers.

So, good people of Galway, I ask you; Should I hop the pond and come for a rest? Is there much work to be had for a guy who's spent the last 5 years in bars and working as a laborer while being a student? Or am I simply another lost North American stupidly trying to find himself by invading your home?

Lastly, if anyone knows of any bars, or for that matter anything, that may be looking for someone at all, feel free to let me know. But I'll understand if you keep the good ones for yerselves. :)

Thank you for your time Galway. Maybe I'll see you soon. :)

Sincerely,
    A Lost Newfie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

I'd say go for it! I moved down here six months ago after years in Dublin, and I love it. I work for myself, and can work from anywhere (meetings permitting) so Galway's a great fit for me.

The employment situation isn't great to be honest, but if you've got bar experience and are willing to hit the pavements day after day in search of work, something will turn up.

Galway's a lovely city, not too fast-paced, some great bars, restaurants and sightseeing, and the countryside is close by. If you can get work, I promise you won't regret it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭baldshin

I say go for it! There are actually lots of jobs, if you are willing to do minimum wage, mainly retail kind of things. Full time work is hard to come by, but you would probably pick up something part time 20-30 hours. Best way of getting a job here generally is to call around to places with your cv(reume) rather than by email and the like. You'll pick up a room cheapish enough too, and if you like being social and going out, seeing live music etc, you will love it here!
    Downsides- the weather and infrastructure/public transport!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 TweakNF

Yeah, the climate is similar to here in St. John's, and the public transport has been on strike for over a month, and was complete **** when it was functional. I'm ready for a change anyway, so bring it all on. Thanks for the responses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Well OP, Galway is great you will love the place and it's people, but be warned we are in the middle of a major recession and work may not be that easy come by.

Quite a number of my friends have moved from Galway to Canada due to the lack of work here. That said Galway is such a great place full of pubs, although few have closed up in recent weeks, and you are able to do bar work that I'd say chance it!

Conversely I myself was thinking of moving over to Canada for the summer months for work, I'am a student.

I'am also a carpenter and was hoping I could find a bit of work there, maybe even in Newfie. Bad idea?

There's carpentry work to be had man. We need trades people. The pay can suck at times, but if you're willing to work man, come over. St. John's is a great city, my home and my life. I need a break, but I recommended it to anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I agree with the rest, it's definitely worth a shot. We have a few Canadians on boards and in this forum so they can give you the low-down on how to get everything in order etcetera but out of all the people I've met that moved here only one didn't like it (broken relationship etc...).

It depends really on your skills to get work but expect to go a lot of handing in CVs, checking job sites and getting frustrated...

Oh and read previous threads on the same topic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I would say make the move if things do not work out you can always move back if you don't move you will always regret it best of luck,let us know how you get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

You need to come to Cork my good man :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

^^^^^^^^^^No, no you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

tommy21 wrote: »

permabanned.

/moderation

;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Go for it, I happened to know some newfie girls over here and they loved it. If you have loads of bar experience you'll surely get something if you give it a few weeks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Bar jobs are actually fairly easily got. the clubs and some of the bigger pubs have a pretty high turn over, which probably means they are crap to work for, but feck it, a jobs a job.

go for it buddy, we'll have a welcome beer for you. help ya settle in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Newfies can get a work visa in Ireland like the Irish can in Australia. Canadians are well regarded everywhere so it is worth the lash I suppose.

Get here before April when the students will start looking for summer work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Face Book friend a few of the bigger bars. You could get chatting to someone hiring at best, and at worst, have a bit of knowlege of the place and the crowd when you pound the pavement. Nothing better than in person chats, but try everything. Go for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

I say go for it. Galway is a great city with a good nightlife. Just be warned, Galway likely be a bit more expensive to live in than Newfie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

Go for it but you will need a fair bit of cash till you find your feet.
    Like most towns, its a great place if your not from here.
    If you do make it over just bump this thread if you have any questions about housing, shopping and all the rest.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Galway is a wonderful place. Don't be fooled into thinking that it is a city - the population is a mere 75,000 - which is a good thing for me. Weekend nightlife is exceptional; public transport is just okay and the weather is indifferent as best.

I suggest getting a centrally located apartment so you won't need a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

It's a city by Irish standards, this is an Irish board. So it's a city.

You're going to find a lot of biased responses here OP, but they're all encouraging at least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭stunt_penguin

A wild redditor appears!

A wild redditor appears!

Damn! I've been discovered!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Did Xiney put you up to this? We send her whole family over there and the next thing theres an invasion of canucks - what gives?

Coming over here steelin' are wimmins and are jibs? LOL

Sure why not, you can't make the place any untidier than it already is...

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Lensbaby89

Your move excites me greatly. I think you are 100% doing the right thing! There's a bar called the Front Door right opposite my apartment who have been looking for part time bar staff for some now...if you were to email me on a CV I'd have no trouble handing it in for you? Pubs in Galway are always looking for new staff all the time, I'm sure you'll find something. When do you plan on making the move?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

Find a room here

Keep an eye on the classifieds for jobs here

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭PauricTheLodger

Keep an eye on the classifieds for jobs here

FYI, you might need to deactivate Adblock Plus on that page to access the actual classifieds...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Seaneh wrote: »
    Bar jobs are actually fairly easily got. the clubs and some of the bigger pubs have a pretty high turn over, which probably means they are crap to work for, but feck it, a jobs a job.

go for it buddy, we'll have a welcome beer for you. help ya settle in.

doubt it for the next while since cuba and celler staff are all looking for a job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Don't forget that in Ireland shirts are mandatory.

Unlike Canada;
    randy-trailer-park-boys.jpg
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

tommy21 wrote: »

Hooooooooo no you dont... This ones ours. We dibsed him first. Gout of the Galway City forum...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

FYI, you might need to deactivate Adblock Plus on that page to access the actual classifieds...

Thanks Padraic! Was wondering why that page was so bare!

So, not to bring back a dead thread or anything, but after a couple weeks of planning, I'm jumping off the deep end.

I'm booked to land in Dublin on the 22nd of March, and hope to be in Galway a couple days after.

I've seen some things in my life, I've done some thing in my life, but I've never been so terrified and excited by something in my life. Thank you you all for your replies, you certainly can sell your city.

See you all in about a month, god willing. Be nice to me, Galway?

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Post again once you're here. Might be a Boards Beers opportunity.

Advertisement