Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dear Galway, I need your help!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

PIIIIIIIIIINTS...... !?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I <3 this thread, re-enforces why this city is the best in Ireland.

Welcome OP! We'll have a nice pint of special when you get here (you'll learn, you'll learn)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 TweakNF

:D I'm excited even more now. Pints!!

Alright, what secrets 'bout your fair town do I need to know? I'm flying blinder than a bat in a daytime fog here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

TweakNF wrote: »
    So, not to bring back a dead thread or anything, but after a couple weeks of planning, I'm jumping off the deep end.

I'm booked to land in Dublin on the 22nd of March, and hope to be in Galway a couple days after.

I've seen some things in my life, I've done some thing in my life, but I've never been so terrified and excited by something in my life. Thank you you all for your replies, you certainly can sell your city.

See you all in about a month, god willing. Be nice to me, Galway?

:)

Well you'll be here just in time for Summer which is usually great in Galway. Evenings will be getting longer.

Better than arriving in mid November anyway.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭friendface

Alright, what secrets 'bout your fair town do I need to know? I'm flying blinder than a bat in a daytime fog here.

Hey, good to see you've decided to make the move. I can say for sure you won't regret it. Even if finding a job doesn't work out, you are guaranteed a great time in Galway. I've been living here for almost 6 years now(as a student) and love it. Even though it's a relatively small 'city', there is always something to do and the place always seems to have a nice lively atmosphere. I guess that's to be expected in a city where students would probably make up nearly a third of the population (around 25k between the two colleges as far as I'm aware).

If you're looking for a place to live, I'd recommend looking for accommodation on the west side of the city (there are plenty of other threads on here giving reviews/opinions on different locations). There are a number of decent estates on the east side of the river also, but I've always preferred the west side :) There a a good few places within walking distance of the city and Salthill (Beachfront and Promenade, which would be ideal since you are arriving before Summer). Just check out properties for rent on google maps on daft.ie. Might be an idea to search for shared accommodation so you'll have people to talk to and show you around when you arrive.

Nightlife is pretty good around Galway, although like a few people have mentioned, there have been a couple of bars/clubs closing down. Still though, there are plenty of fantastic late night bars with live music any night of the week. Depends on your taste.

Best of luck with the move anyway. Hope it works out well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Sionach

friendface wrote: »

If you're looking for a place to live, I'd recommend looking for accommodation on the west side of the city

You couldn't pay me to live any where near west side!
    City center, north, east or south but not fing westside!!!!

Other than that, best of luck with the job hunt and welcome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MazG

Sionach wrote: »
    You couldn't pay me to live any where near west side!
    City center, north, east or south but not fing westside!!!!

Other than that, best of luck with the job hunt and welcome!

South? Wouldn't that be a little wet?

Don't mind this guy, OP - Westside is bestside! Salthill might not give the best first impression (especially if it's pouring rain the first time you go there!). But it's actually really great to be able to walk out your door and down to the prom for a stroll/jog or to the beach for a swim.

Welcome to Galway and good luck with finding a job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

MazG wrote: »
    South? Wouldn't that be a little wet?

Don't mind this guy, OP - Westside is bestside! Salthill might not give the best first impression (especially if it's pouring rain the first time you go there!). But it's actually really great to be able to walk out your door and down to the prom for a stroll/jog or to the beach for a swim.

Welcome to Galway and good luck with finding a job :)

We've had entire threads about the difference between
    • the west side of the city
    • The West
    • Westside
    Please ... not another one! :eek:

OP, two pieces of advice:

1) Until you get a job, stick to the centre. Nothing worse than living way on the west of the city and working on the far east, or vice versa.

2) Here's some stuff about the public transport system - check out the regional buses section first to see your options for Dublin-Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MazG

JustMary wrote: »
    We've had entire threads about the difference between
    • the west side of the city
    • The West
    • Westside
    Please ... not another one! :eek:

OP, two pieces of advice:

1) Until you get a job, stick to the centre. Nothing worse than living way on the west of the city and working on the far east, or vice versa.

2) Here's some stuff about the public transport system - check out the regional buses section first to see your options for Dublin-Galway.

My most humblest apologies. :o

Good advice on living in the city centre until job situation is sorted though. I second that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 TweakNF

You've got a beautiful city here Galway. If you see a guy wandering about with a green jacket, long hair and a grey cap on, feel free to stop and say hi. I don't know a soul here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

You've got a beautiful city here Galway. If you see a guy wandering about with a green jacket, long hair and a grey cap on, feel free to stop and say hi. I don't know a soul here!

Take it you made it so? :D

great to see you made it.

As good a reason as any to arrange Boards beers, no?

And don't worry, I'll be a Boards Beers virgin too lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Agreed. A Galway beers would be great. Only got to stay for a half hour at the last one. Though I got to meet Biko.

**basks in the moment**

Welcome to Galway dude! Hope you enjoy it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Don't drink the water from the taps.
    You owe RTE €160 if you've looked at a TV.
    Never, ever trust a signpost. Their only purpose in the west of Ireland is to confuse or lead people astray.
    People in tracksuits are not athletes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 WindyMyth

Hey OP and Galway boardies. Long-time lurker, first time poster.

I'm going to assume you found a place to live, but I'm going to go with some other posters here and say stick to the Centre until you have a job secured, or whatever else. I'm a displaced late 20s student doing a semester at NUIG, and found myself a place in City Centre and bloody -love- it. Not wanting to give up this place is one of the many reasons I'm not looking forward to going back in a few months!

Also, as a lonely American havin' a hard time meeting people, if you want to grab a pint and check out the music scene, give a yell. Bit busy the next few weeks, but might be able to make some time!

Welcome to Galway. Hope you love it as much as I do.

(Also, keep an eye on these boards, there's an answer to any question you might have here! I needed a new headset for my laptop, didn't know where to find one, and lo and behold, there was already a thread buried in the fora!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

your from newfoundland? GRRAT ****ing place lived there for 4 months a few years ago , what part of that wonderful county are you from?

Advertisement