Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BJJ Resources

• 13-01-2011 5:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I’m just getting started on my BJJ journey out in Informed Performance and am looking for any good blogs, articles and youtube channels to check out.

Things along the lines of what to be doing as a beginner (surviving?) and some guidelines on how to do it, general articles about the sport and peoples journey etc, and just any good youtube channels which show basic technique so I can be watching and learning when I’m not on the mat would be sweet..

Barry recommended a book called Jiu-Jitsu University (I think?) – anyone know if it can be got in Dublin or will I have to order it online?

Cheers!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

+1 for Informed Performance and Barry.. Great gym.

Jiu-Jitsu University is amazing. Definitely worth getting. I've looked nearly everywhere in Dublin City/Blanch/Dundrum/Liffey Valley.. Couldn't find it anywhere :(

Are you going the gi/no gi route or both?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

ScareGilly wrote: »
    +1 for Informed Performance and Barry.. Great gym.

Jiu-Jitsu University is amazing. Definitely worth getting. I've looked nearly everywhere in Dublin City/Blanch/Dundrum/Liffey Valley.. Couldn't find it anywhere :(

Are you going the gi/no gi route or both?

Both dude.

I’ve only had like 2 rolls, a gi and no-gi. I was able to survive alright (ish) without the gi cos I’m fairly strong and was just able to push people off, I was also rolling with some smaller guys that day. There was no movement or anything to create space or re-establish guard without the gi, just pure muscling ppl away. Then I got into a gi and got absolutely SLAUGHTERED. Like proper murdered.

Gi seems to be a lot more technical from my incredibly limited exposure, and trying to muscle it clearly isn’t going to work… i.e I’m guess I’ll become more technically proficient by training in a gi, and will be able to apply a lot of that to no-gi, even if it’s not the exact same.

I’ve heard a few of the lads say it’s a lot easier to go from being good in the gi to being good no-gi than the other way around and I don’t see any point in using my strength as a crutch to avoid becoming better technically!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Hanley wrote: »
    Gi seems to be a lot more technical from my incredibly limited exposure, and trying to muscle it clearly isn’t going to work… i.e I’m guess I’ll become more technically proficient by training in a gi, and will be able to apply a lot of that to no-gi, even if it’s not the exact same.

I’ve heard a few of the lads say it’s a lot easier to go from being good in the gi to being good no-gi than the other way around and I don’t see any point in using my strength as a crutch to avoid becoming better technically!

Its really refreshing to hear a beginner speak like that! You seem to have the right mind for the sport from the outset, which is very important to progressing. Best of luck! And dont quit, it gets much better the longer you train.

Heres JJ University book online:http://www.budovideos.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=27415&cat=306&page=3

Got this from a Roy Harris blog:

White Belt

This is the belt of paying your dues. This is the belt where you will spend most of your time on his back. You usually end up doing most of the tapping as well.

Your ability to grapple successfully will depend largely on three things:

your previous martial arts experience, (a grappling background helps a lot)
    your current fitness level, (a higher level of fitness help tremendously)
    your ability to learn visually (visual learners adapt and absorb information more quickly)
    Students who come from a wrestling background seem to adapt very well to the slight change in grappling methods. Students who come from an athletic background also seem to adapt quite well.

Those who come from a striking background sometimes have a difficult time adapting. Many have become so accustomed to visually grabbing onto the vertical and horizontal lines of the walls, doorways and ropes to stabilize their equilibrium that they feel very uncomfortable with the diagonal world of grappling. They quickly learn that the ground has not been their friend, and, that they must take some time to acquaint themselves with this new perspective.

The most frustrating part about being a white belt (especially if you have no experience on the ground) is the fact that most of the advanced students will make you tap, or at least positionally dominate you. (I remember feeling frustrated as a white belt.) This frustration usually leads to white belts asking questions like, "How do I get on top of these guys? How do I escape the side or full mount? How do I tap out the blue and purple belts?" Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do right now to immediately change the tables in your favor. Get used to the blue and purple belts tapping you out. Get used to having them positionally dominating you. Consider tapping as a "form of learning", a way of "paying your dues." I remember when I was a white belt. I remember feeling like a rag doll in the hands of the blue and purple belts. I wish there would have been something I could have done to prevent from feeling like that, but there wasn't. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is just one of those "time in service" things. You simply have to put your time in. There are no short cuts!

The only encouragement that I can give to you is this, "Keep training! Your day is coming. The day will come when you will no longer be a white belt. The day is coming when you will be able to escape from any position with finesse and ease. Then, it will be your turn to watch the frustration of the new white belts that enter your school. Then, it will be your turn to encourage them as I have encouraged you!"

White belts are expected to rely on speed, power, strength and explosiveness. For that is all they know. However, once a person dons the "blue belt", the world of Jiu Jitsu suddenly changes.

Its really refreshing to hear a beginner speak like that! You seem to have the right mind for the sport from the outset, which is very important to progressing. Best of luck! And dont quit, it gets much better the longer you train.

Heres JJ University book online:http://www.budovideos.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=27415&cat=306&page=3

You can thank Barry, Will and the lads I've rolled with for that!!

I've already been warned that i'm going to make some progress and then have it all yanked away from me again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

lets hope theres never an irish bjj weightlifting meet anyway.

Huh?

Huh?

Me: (hence the primary reason for seeking to avoid using strength)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

I picked up Saulo's book in Chapters - I'm not too sure how good it would be for a beginner though. It only has gi techniques and there are so many that you could just end up with a logjam.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Logjamming is my favourite movie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 randyfan

http://caneprevost.wordpress.com/ is the best blog that i've come across

A lot of youtube videos are based on flashy impressive looking techniques but don't really work on a consistent basis that's why I like the above blog, it's based on the fundamentals of each position. When looking at youtube clips I prefer to look at competition footage. Start with ADCC or the Mundials and you've hundreds of hours of footage to get you started. My personal favourites are Marcelo Garcia, Rafael Mendes, Robert Drysdale, Cobrinha, Roger Gracie.

Jiu Jitsu university might be available in chapters on parnell street. I know they sell a lot of Victory belt publications (that's the publisher of JJU) now so there's a good chance they have it.

randyfan wrote: »

A lot of youtube videos are based on flashy impressive looking techniques but don't really work on a consistent basis that's why I like the above blog, it's based on the fundamentals of each position. When looking at youtube clips I prefer to look at competition footage. Start with ADCC or the Mundials and you've hundreds of hours of footage to get you started. My personal favourites are Marcelo Garcia, Rafael Mendes, Robert Drysdale, Cobrinha, Roger Gracie.

Jiu Jitsu university might be available in chapters on parnell street. I know they sell a lot of Victory belt publications (that's the publisher of JJU) now so there's a good chance they have it.

Thanks dude. I actually stumbled across that site yesterday and read a few things on it and really enjoyed it. Was on Matt Thronton's blog earlier too.

Must have a ramble down to Chapters ove the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

cripes hanley is doing bjj :eek: and will be posting on the sd/ma forum :eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Andrew H

I got my copy of Jiu Jitsu University in Chapters as well. I prepaid and they ordered it in for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Andrew H wrote: »
    I got my copy of Jiu Jitsu University in Chapters as well. I prepaid and they ordered it in for me.

Good to know. Must get on that.

I have had the same experience in transitioning from No Gi to Gi rolling. I was making some progress in No Gi, I could see some improvements and understanding etc starting to become apparent. Then I started training with the Gi. It was a lot harder. Grueling even. Frustration would be the main word I would use. All said and done though?

I loved it.

I picked up afew bits and pieces from rolling with the blues and purples and I'm thankful for the time they take when they offer me bits of advice here and there. Onwards and upwards!

randyfan wrote: »

Stole the website I was going to post! :mad:

I've found that just rolling is the best way.. After a few good sessions you won't be getting tapped out as much..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

ScareGilly wrote: »
    I've found that just rolling is the best way.. After a few good sessions you won't be getting tapped out as much..

I've read many times that it's simply a matter of putting the hours in. As someone just about to start BJJ, I find that very comforting to know. It'll certainly make it easier to accept getting my ass handed to me for the first couple of months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭MaeveD

If anyone is interested, I'll have some copies of Jiu Jitsu University and Drill to Win by Andre Galvao available in the studios next week.

Another great blog here, first one I bookmarked and have loved it ever since..

Found his one recently, haven't really looked through it in depth though.. http://austinjiujitsu.com/tech/default.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Malolan

Advertisement