Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

File powder

Options
  • 13-01-2011 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

File powder, or powdered sassafras leaves, is an essential ingredient in File Gumbo - and I'd really like to try making File Gumbo! My problem is that I can't find anywhere that will ship it to Ireland at a reasonable price - Penzey's in the US do it, but want to charge me €38.99 to ship one small bag. Has anyone ever found anywhere to buy this stuff in Ireland? Preferably somewhere that'll post it to Mayo, as I very very rarely get to Dublin - like once every 3 years or so!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

http://www.seasonedpioneers.co.uk sell it (UK based), £2.50 for 26grammes and £4.95 for delivery to Europe. I think if you contact them, they'll ship just the file powder at a discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Thank you SO much - I've been looking for almost a year without success. You're a genius :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

I bought mine here. cgi.ebay.ie/GUMBO-FILE-POWDER-HERB-BLEND-4-oz-Cajun-cooking-/200454817680?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eac09c790

I don't know why it's listed under Wiccan stuff though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Darkginger wrote: »
    File powder, or powdered sassafras leaves, is an essential ingredient in File Gumbo - and I'd really like to try making File Gumbo! My problem is that I can't find anywhere that will ship it to Ireland at a reasonable price - Penzey's in the US do it, but want to charge me €38.99 to ship one small bag. Has anyone ever found anywhere to buy this stuff in Ireland? Preferably somewhere that'll post it to Mayo, as I very very rarely get to Dublin - like once every 3 years or so!

Sorry for opening this old thread again but did you ever get your "filé powder"? I am craving gumbo and cannot find this stuff anywhere. Some people use Okra as the thickening agent but I much prefer using filé. The UK referenced in this thread does not supply it any more.

Advertisement