Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do in Dub with a tourist

Options
  • 13-01-2011 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi Guys!

I have a friend visiting for the weekend. He is from France, I am from Cork, only met once before. Anyway I'm meeting up with him to show him around. But as i'm from Cork maybe u Dubs can help me. What are must do things for someone who has never been to Dub? Should we go to Guinness or where else? Also good pubs to bring him to on Fri or Sat....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

yea do the Guinness thing...its interesting enough..you can enjoy a few nice pints of Guinness at the Gravity bar at the end and get a panoramic view of the city..
    you could get the dart out to Howth or Dalkey perhaps?
    go to St. Stephens Green, Ivy Gardens, walk through Temple Bar during the day, check out all the different statues and sculptures around the city there is loads and some of them are really great & great for photos too!
    Show him O'Connell Street and onto Phoenix Park?
    there is so many pubs around to choose from its up to you..maybe find somewhere with some trad music if its your taste?
    lots of nightclubs and late bars too..
    there is a market at the point village every weekend till about 4 or 5 pm...its a nice walk down to it along the quays & docklands and the dublin eye is there too its only 8euro each.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

A good starting point might be one of the hop-on hop-off bus tours as these serve most of the main tourist destinations. So you could take in Guinness, Kilmainham gaol, Trinity, Christchurch, etc or just pick one attraction to spend time at while seeing the rest of the city if you wanted to.

Pubs - well Temple Bar is very touristy but any time I've shown someone around the city I've brought them there just so they can see it. I prefer some of the pubs around Grafton st/George's st/Camden st (Long Hall, Grogans, Whelans, Kehoes) but it all depends on what kind of places you like to drink in.

So for tourist 'essentials' I'd say Guinness, Christchurch and maybe Kilmainham for some history or The National Gallery if you want a bit of culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

go out to howth on sunday, have a pint/dinner in the bloody stream and walk around the harbour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

dart to bray..much nicer than howth!! a lick of pints. into town for a few more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

go out to howth on sunday, have a pint/dinner in the bloody stream and walk around the harbour

There's also a farmers market opposite the train station/bloody stream and if the weather is good Deerpark is a nice spot with a great view from the top of the rhododendron walk behind the hotel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Archaeology stuff .. do a walking tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

Nozebleed wrote: »
    dart to bray..much nicer than howth!! a lick of pints. into town for a few more.

eh he wants to know what to do in Dublin not Wicklow. :D

a lick of pints? oh dear:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

are you for real? bray is a dump in comparison to howth

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I, personally, enjoy the Irish Museum of Modern Art... but if he's from Paris I'd be slightly embarrassed compared to their galleries. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Is the market still on Sundays? They have the most amazing food (read: brownies) at that market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Yes, slot machines and games arcade are certainly nicer than a peaceful harbour village.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Are you off yer bleeding bin? Bray is a kip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 overheard

OP here. Guys yer gas, fighting over bray and howth haha. The Guinness factory is a defo so and I'll prob tie it in with the bus tour. A market (weather permitting) will hopefully be on the cards too... Oh and as he's looking for Irish culture- a lock of pints! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Am I the only one who finds the Guinness factory mind numbingly dull?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The Viking Splash tours are good craic too. You need to book in advance for weekends.

Advertisement