Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Analog Drum workstation from Dave Smith: The Tempest

Options
  • 13-01-2011 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Looks very, very cool:
    Initial features:
    2 Analog oscillators and 2 Digital oscillators
    Digital sources have samples and waveforms (Prophet VS waves and others)
    Digital oscillator pre/post filter control
    Samples donated by FXPansion and Goldbaby
    Each voice has a Curtis lowpass filter and a discrete 2 pole highpass filter
    Onboard sequencer.
    8 Modulation paths
    2 LFOs per voice
    5 Envelopes per voice, dedicated filter and VCA envelopes, pitch and 2 aux envelopes. Pitch and Aux envelopes have assignable destinations
    Analog Disortion and Analog Stereo Compression on the master bus
    6 individual stereo outputs
    Light blue 256x64 pixel high contrast OLED screen
    16 Pressure sensitive drum pads
    2 Position and Pressure sensitive touch faders

Not clear whether you can load your own samples. Would be a pity if you can't

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/news/tempest.php

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭SinewaveSurfer

You can load your own samples

I'm just wondering how long they can be, and if the six voices will stand in the way of doing some old school samplist boom-bap hip-hop on this machine. I was hoping for 8 minimum, ideally 16, not all analogue mind you, but I was hoping that they could at least pack some extra voices in there for samples alone...

still nice to see some of the features I suggested to them many moons ago made it in :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭hubiedubie

Just watched the youtube video with Roger Linn. You can use multiple samples per voice. Just not playing at the same time. Can't remember how many.

This (Tempest) is more analog / synth focused. If Linndrum2 ever makes it to production it will be more sample focused.

hubiedubie wrote: »
    Just watched the youtube video with Roger Linn. You can use multiple samples per voice. Just not playing at the same time. Can't remember how many.

This (Tempest) is more analog / synth focused. If Linndrum2 ever makes it to production it will be more sample focused.

linndrum 2 was a work in progress - tempest is the end result.

Multiple samples per voice is obvious, it's in the spec (2.), and the 'not playing at the same time' part is the bit that's **** for hip hop production. Although, no, they can play at the same time, but they can only be triggered at the same time - not separately. Unless I'm mistaken. Didn't notice any mention of being able to independantly sequence each OSC per voice, that would certainly suffice for a bit of the ole boom-bap though

linndrum 2 was a work in progress - tempest is the end result.

Linndrum2 is a separate product / still vaporware. Here's Roger Linn's comment on the both products:

"While both products share many fundamental concepts and features, each has its own unique personality and strengths. Both products are still in development and there's plenty of work remaining to do. I'd prefer to still keep LinnDrum II under wraps for now, but Dave and I would like to share with you some advance information about the product for his customers, called 'Tempest'."

Linndrum2 is a separate product / still vaporware. Here's Roger Linn's comment on the both products:

"While both products share many fundamental concepts and features, each has its own unique personality and strengths. Both products are still in development and there's plenty of work remaining to do. I'd prefer to still keep LinnDrum II under wraps for now, but Dave and I would like to share with you some advance information about the product for his customers, called 'Tempest'."

oh me oh my!

thanks for setting me straight! I'm guessing lindrumII is going to be packing more of the samplist features...

• Advertisement

Yes I think / hope so. He's from an MPC background so I assume that's the plan. Also on the samples one of the developers has confirmed that you can't load your own (in version 1.0) but there are plenty preloaded.

I wonder have they agreed not to step on each other's turf too much ie Linn sticks to sampling mainly and Dave Smith sticks to synthesis.

It still looks killer. The drum machine market for 2011 will be unbelievably competitive: Maschine with VST support, Arturia Spark, Octatrack, Tempest and possibly Linndrum2

Yes I think / hope so. He's from an MPC background so I assume that's the plan. Also on the samples one of the developers has confirmed that you can't load your own (in version 1.0) but there are plenty preloaded.

I wonder have they agreed not to step on each other's turf too much ie Linn sticks to sampling mainly and Dave Smith sticks to synthesis.

It still looks killer. The drum machine market for 2011 will be unbelievably competitive: Maschine with VST support, Arturia Spark, Octatrack, Tempest and possibly Linndrum2

damn, should be able to load some oneshots ... hopefully that'll change.

speculating here but I reckon they're fully co-operative and are splitting the proceeds on both products down the line, but have agreed to maximise profit and make every potential user happy at the same time. to do this each machine shouldn't compete with the other, so you'll get guys owning both I'm sure.

I know I would if I had the cash. :D

future classics

future classics
    Yep. There's something about the Tempest that is much more appealing than the Jomox machines. The synth sounds on the demo are mighty impressive & Goldbaby samples are amongst the best. Starting saving now.

Advertisement