Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maintenance payments

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    What I save on school stuffs I have to spend on formula foods and clothes for a growing toddler. The OP never specified the childs age. And feeding a 2 year old is expensive too. They need 3 meals a day and snacks, but they are not able to tell you what they want to eat and you can end up using as much food as a teenager then.

My sister and I were both in our teens and I was in college and living away from home and all my mother got was 50 a week each. And that was court ordered!
    i think you'll find when you are older its more expensive to feed and clothe a teenager. i have a 16 month old and a seven year old and as the seven year old gets older it gets more and more expensive. We also have another on the way so i honestly can see the expenses

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Oh if the person is a well paid professional of course the child should be given more money, after all it would give them a better standard of living and that is what every parent would want..... surely? :)
    Agreed. If people are struggling people what can we do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

What I save on school stuffs I have to spend on formula foods and clothes for a growing toddler. The OP never specified the childs age. And feeding a 2 year old is expensive too. They need 3 meals a day and snacks, but they are not able to tell you what they want to eat and you can end up using as much food as a teenager then.

My sister and I were both in our teens and I was in college and living away from home and all my mother got was 50 a week each. And that was court ordered!

Sorry but no way. I know formula is expensive and so are nappies and bottles and shoes you have to replace every three months because of growth and yadda yadda.

But I also had a younger brother who is now 6'2 and I remember how much he ate during adolescence. It was like keeping a horse. A minimum gallon of juice a day to start with! And he wasnt even athletic. Forget about it if you have an athlete in the house.

School books, uniforms, transport, grinds, orthodontics. And you are paying for adult sized clothes at that point too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

amiable wrote: »
    Agreed. If people are struggling people what can we do?

The most angering thing is everyone has less money now but the price of raising children has sky rocketed!!!!

Sorry but no way. I know formula is expensive and so are nappies and bottles and shoes you have to replace every three months because of growth and yadda yadda.

But I also had a younger brother who is now 6'2 and I remember how much he ate during adolescence. It was like keeping a horse. A minimum gallon of juice a day to start with! And he wasnt even athletic. Forget about it if you have an athlete in the house.

School books, uniforms, transport, grinds, orthodontics. And you are paying for adult sized clothes at that point too.

Yes boys are always costly. They eat a lot. Although a gallon of anything a day is actually unhealthy!! :)

But as I said, my mother got 400 a month for 2 teenage girls that were old enough apart and polar opposite sizes that nothing were hand-me-downs and school books were often updated by the time my sister came up.

• Advertisement

The most angering thing is everyone has less money now but the price of raising children has sky rocketed!!!!

Everything has skyrocketed. Just wait till petrol goes up to 2E a litre. You will see this in the price of EVERYTHING you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I also think the amount of time the child spends with the absent parent is relevant here. In my case, my sons father is not involved (his choice) and he contributes 75pw towards the cost of his sons upkeep. Afterschool childare alone costs 125pw...if he was involved in his life, he would obviously be cutting the costs I spend directly on him, and would therefore reduce the cost of maintenance the judge ordered he pays.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭tomo536

chucken1 wrote: »
    My partner has an 11 year old daughter. He pays 35e a week to her mother. This has been for the last 2 years,before that he was working and paying 100e a week. This was by mutual agreement between him and his daughters mother.

He is now on illness benefit receiving 188 and 124 for me.

His daughters mother is now threatning court action to make him pay more,which he simply cant afford. She works full time.

So,my question is..do courts use a % or how do they calculate a maintainance payment for someone on social welfare?
    It will depend on the judge on the day,they all differ.the best part of them will look at how much money he is getting in and what outgoings are and make a decision based on that.Tell him to keep reciepts of everything he spends on the child.If he is not working he is entitled to free legal aid(GET IT)I from experience have found most judges are reasonable,and look at it,if you can not afford it they wont screw you.Hope this helps

Fittle wrote: »
    I also think the amount of time the child spends with the absent parent is relevant here. In my case, my sons father is not involved (his choice) and he contributes 75pw towards the cost of his sons upkeep. Afterschool childare alone costs 125pw...if he was involved in his life, he would obviously be cutting the costs I spend directly on him, and would therefore reduce the cost of maintenance the judge ordered he pays.

Absolutely. Their absence costs YOU money. But the judges don't take that into consideration.

Oh I know Metrovelvet, One thing for myself alone. Formula Milk used to be 7-7.50 a carton, now it is up to 9.35, but I have been cut money!?!?!?! Madness and he goes through one and half of them a week some weeks!

Agreed, if your ex was looking after the child while you worked then surely you would not have to get that service and he would be paying for the child to be fed while with him and have clothes there with him for the child too saving you money and costing him some!

• Advertisement

disagree,i spend a lot of time with my nine year old and my maintenance has not come down,she is always looking for more.I have seen a cut im my wages of over 200 a month,do you think if i brought her to court to get it reduced it would happen.DONT think so

tomo536 wrote: »
    disagree,i spend a lot of time with my nine year old and my maintenance has not come down,she is always looking for more.I have seen a cut im my wages of over 200 a month,do you think if i brought her to court to get it reduced it would happen.DONT think so

What we are saying is that since you spend time with your child you SHOULD be allowed have to pay less!!! It is the fairest thing, but sadly the legal system is a bit mad some times!

Oh I know Metrovelvet, One thing for myself alone. Formula Milk used to be 7-7.50 a carton, now it is up to 9.35, but I have been cut money!?!?!?! Madness and he goes through one and half of them a week some weeks!

Agreed, if your ex was looking after the child while you worked then surely you would not have to get that service and he would be paying for the child to be fed while with him and have clothes there with him for the child too saving you money and costing him some!

I don't know why it's so expensive. It used to cost me $25 -$30 for a tin in the US and in France its also expensive.

I don't know why it's so expensive. It used to cost me $25 -$30 for a tin in the US and in France its also expensive.

Well the way it works is I receive €218 a week, €50 of that is rent and that leaves me with €168 for food and bills. €9 is 18% my money a week. And that is only one carton! Also since everything in the US is usually supersized how much was in the carton, ones here are only 900g

Absolutely. Their absence costs YOU money. But the judges don't take that into consideration.
    I got a second part time job to help with my finances and as soon as she heard i was back in court had to pay more.The sad thing the extra few bob i was making was not worth it after maintenance was increased so had to pack it in.I would not mind the money i was trying to save up was to bring my daughter away on a little holiday but alas thats gone now.Why are some people so bad.

Well the way it works is I receive €218 a week, €50 of that is rent and that leaves me with €168 for food and bills. €9 is 18% my money a week. And that is only one carton! Also since everything in the US is usually supersized how much was in the carton, ones here are only 900g

About 700 grams I think. The cans are about 25 ounces. Sorry Im still on the imperial system.:) Im an old lady.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_12?url=search-alias%3Dhpc&field-keywords=baby+formula&sprefix=baby+formula

Why are some people so bad.

Some women are only after the money, and some fathers do not want to pay for their actions in creating a child. It is a sad fact and one I wish did not exist! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Each case is different and I said it was relevant, not that a judge would take it into consideration.

But in my case, if my sons dad was seeing him, and therby reducing the financial burden that I face on a daily basis, the judge would not have ordered 300pm maintenance for his son. My wages have been cut by 237pm btw. But if I brought his dad back to court, do you think the maintenance would get increased? DONT think so.

Advertisement