Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mtb chainset help

• 13-01-2011 7:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭

hey guys im looking for a bit of advice on my rear derailleur and cassette, im currently running a 2008 SRAM x7 9 speed(bought bike used so its fairly battered) and for the cassette its a Sram PC950 11 - 34, im also running 3 rings up front.
    Now my gears are kinda acting up even after getting my bike serviced particularly the last two sprockets on the cassette so im looking at just getting some new gear, whats the craic with putting a medium cage mech on a 3 speed up front?
    im looking at putting this sram cassette on the back as well as putting this SRAM x9 mech on, was looking at getting a shimano saint rear mech but it only comes in medium and short and i dont know if a medium cage will work.
    any suggestions or help would be great guys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Now my gears are kinda acting up even after getting my bike serviced particularly the last two sprockets on the cassette
    Before you splash out.

How exactly are your gears acting up? Chain slipping? or is the chain Jumping up or down to the next cog?

Are you cross chaining?

Does the guy who serviced it know what he's doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

yeah he does, id put it in gear and when i put some torque on it it can change (say while going uphill which is a pain in the ass) not always but sometimes, and then for some reason when i gear down to the easiest gear the chain will stay at the second last sprocket (except sometimes when i put pressure on it it will change :confused: ) its probably something small like gear ratios but im looking at upgrading the chainset anyway as i bought the bike second hand
    btw whats cross chaining?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Google Cross Chaining!

From what I understand the Saint stuff is for DH set up, and will most likely not work with your current gear leavers.

But to sort your problem, learn not to cross chain and replace your chain and cassette. The bike will feel like new and should not cost the earth.

Adrian

yeah ive a new chain on it since yesterday and i dont think its cross chaining (might be wrong or could one use of the bike while cross chaining have put the back mech and cassette out of wack?) as i have the front set to the largest cog and the back on the easiest but the chain is still on the 3rd cog in on the cassette :confused:

ok im going to try and put the cassette on myself as well as trying to adjust the rear derailleur myself any good instructional videos or advice? this will be my first time trying this so i hope i dont feck it up
    turned the thing upside down and no problems sigh... still think im going to put a new cassette on it though as it will be good to learn the inner workings of the bike any suggestions for the cassette actually?

• Advertisement

as i have the front set to the largest cog and the back on the easiest but the chain is still on the 3rd cog in on the cassette
    That is cross chaining. Don't use the a large cog on the front with a large cog on the rear. And don't use small with small either.

Put it on the middle or the smallest cog on the front and then try putting it on the largest cog on the rear. Then report back if there is still a problem.

That is cross chaining. Don't use the a large cog on the front with a large cog on the rear. And don't use small with small either.

Put it on the middle or the smallest cog on the front and then try putting it on the largest cog on the rear. Then report back if there is still a problem.

no as in i had it on the largest up front and i tried to get it to the smallest at the back but it would only go to the second or third, it seems to be missing gear changes for some reason any idea why lads? as in id gear all the way to the smallest cog but i wouldnt be at it instead id be at the third smallest so id have to gear to the third smallest and then forward again for it to change gear.

As for cross chaining how serious is it? i generally use the middle chain up front for everything does that mean i can only use gear 4,5,6 at the back or is there leeway to using 3,2 or 7,8 for small times?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭C3PO

In my experience if you relace a well worn chain with a new one you will nearly always have to replace the cassette as well! It's a really easy job with the right tools and refer to the Park site for advice!

i generally use the middle chain up front for everything does that mean i can only use gear 4,5,6 at the back or is there leeway to using 3,2 or 7,8 for small times?
    With the middle chain ring you should be able to use all the gears.

It sounds like it could be

1. the limit screws on your rear derailler are set up wrong
    or
    2. your rear derailler is bent.
    or maybe
    3. the gear cable is over tight.

Did they gears work straight after you had it serviced? Before you took it anywhere it could be damaged?

or
    or maybe

Did they gears work straight after you had it serviced? Before you took it anywhere it could be damaged?

to be honest im not too sure i took it out for a 2 hour spin today and its definitely skipping and missing gears :( it could be the cassette is worn down but im sure the guy that serviced it would have spotted that seeing as he replaced a ring up front because it was worn, im going to give the bike a good cleaning and im going to see if the derailleur goes through the whole range or not. Im also going on a club spin tomorrow so il see what those guys have to say, iv had no luck with this bike which is a pity because the frame and suspension are amazing :(
    so i can use all the gears in the middle ring? if so thats the job as trying to go up a steep incline in 4 or 5 was a pain in the arse :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭ciarsciars

or
    or maybe

Sounds like it could be number 3. to me. Definitely try loosing the cable a little (turning the tensioner clockwise on the shifter) before buying new components.

Im also going on a club spin tomorrow so il see what those guys have to say,
    Thats the best thing you could do. Someone will know straight away whats wrong.
    iv had no luck with this bike which is a pity because the frame and suspension are amazing :(
    Gears can be a real pain in the backside until you fully figure out how they work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Go out on the club spin,Im sure a few of youre club members will be able to point you in the right direction to fix the problem.

ciarsciars wrote: »
    Sounds like it could be number 3. to me. Definitely try loosing the cable a little (turning the tensioner clockwise on the shifter) before buying new components.

no luck :( i tried tightening it and loosing it but i have the same problem, the exact problem is that il have the chain on the biggest cog at the back and im able to run through all the gears on the way out until i hit the last one where it just wont change (i can flick the shifter back and forth at this gear and nothing happens as it wont go into the last and im only shifting back into the second last) and then on the way back in it starts missing shifts and skipping them any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭zil

no luck :( i tried tightening it and loosing it but i have the same problem, the exact problem is that il have the chain on the biggest cog at the back and im able to run through all the gears on the way out until i hit the last one where it just wont change (i can flick the shifter back and forth at this gear and nothing happens as it wont go into the last and im only shifting back into the second last) and then on the way back in it starts missing shifts and skipping them any ideas?

When was the last time you changed the gear cables outers? Sounds like a load of mud has gotten inside the gear cable and is causing lots of friction.

zil wrote: »
    When was the last time you changed the gear cables outers? Sounds like a load of mud has gotten inside the gear cable and is causing lots of friction.

what are cable outers? anyway i havnt as ive only had the bike for two months unless they guy that serviced my bike did

club cycle canceled today :( one thing ive noticed is that the gears seem to shift much better when i have the bike upside down with no weight on the system is that a clue that im missing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

If the chain is jumping on the cassette, you'll need to replace the cassette.
    If the chain is not moving up and down the cassette correctly you need to fix the shifter cable tension.
    If the chain is not moving onto either of he extreme coges at all, you'll need to adjust the limiters.

This video is excellent an shows how to do it very very easily.

thanks for that its a weird problem in that it seems to shift grand from the easiest out to the second hardest and then wont shift to the last and then it starts skipping on the way back in :confused: i think im going to change the cassette anyway (as id like to have some new components on the bike :D) at the moment my cassette is an Sram PC950 11 - 34 would i be able to swap that out with this (i know its more of a downhill cassette but its good value and is probably very sturdy) or would i have problems with it being a different size etc. ? anyway thanks for the reply Gavin

If you want to replace the cassette, just replace like with like, plus you will be thankful of those lower (easier) gears when climbing those hills :). I would get the following: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5213

Couple of things to factor in:
    1) If replacing the cassette it's a good idea to replace the chain, this one's fine with the above casstette: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9911
    2) If replacing the chain and cassette yourself you will need tools to do both. Google for more info.

• Advertisement

If you want to replace the cassette, just replace like with like, plus you will be thankful of those lower (easier) gears when climbing those hills :). I would get the following: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5213

Couple of things to factor in:
    1) If replacing the cassette it's a good idea to replace the chain, this one's fine with the above casstette: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9911
    2) If replacing the chain and cassette yourself you will need tools to do both. Google for more info.

ive kind of fixed the gearing myself (experimenting by tightening and loosing the gear tension cable as well as the two screw adjuster yokes :D) and it seems to be working a bit better anyway also glad to get a bit of experience with adjusting the rear derailleur.

im still going to go about getting some new gear though first on the list is a good cassette, i really like the one you listed as its great value but what would you say about something like this shimano saint cassette? its a bit more expensive but im willing to pay for the quality

Why do you think the Shimano one is better quality than the SRAM, the price? As far as I know PG970 is the equivalent or SLX.

Why do you think the Shimano one is better quality than the SRAM, the price? As far as I know PG970 is the equivalent or SLX.

i thought shimano saint was basically the toughest gear (FR an DH gear) you could get from shimano? i could be wrong im kind of new to the whole scene :o i guess i just want try and get the best gear setup i can for my money (not xx as i aint rich :D), im also trying to balance the bike out so its not 100% CX or DH so all the components are confusing me

Advertisement