Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extremely lengthy install times?

Options
  • 13-01-2011 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭

Just after getting BFBC2 for PC there earlier today, but for some reason, the installer is making next to no progress - took about 10 minutes to complete the DirectX install, and the progress bar was barely filled about 15 mins after that...

I haven't had any issues installing any other games recently - would it be an issue with the game itself, or have I done something incredibly wrong?

Spec:
    ATI Radeon 5870HD 1GB
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz
    6GB RAM

Not sure of anything else that might be helpful... :o

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Robby91 wrote: »
    Just after getting BFBC2 for PC there earlier today, but for some reason, the installer is making next to no progress - took about 10 minutes to complete the DirectX install, and the progress bar was barely filled about 15 mins after that...

I haven't had any issues installing any other games recently - would it be an issue with the game itself, or have I done something incredibly wrong?

Spec:
    ATI Radeon 5870HD 1GB
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz
    6GB RAM

Not sure of anything else that might be helpful... :o

Installing from DVD or Steam?

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

Oh, forgot about that - I'm installing from the DVD

It's been about 45 mins to an hour now, and it's ~15%... pretty fecking ridiculous :mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Oh, forgot about that - I'm installing from the DVD

It's been about 45 mins to an hour now, and it's ~15%... pretty fecking ridiculous :mad:

I seem to remember it being a slow installer, but not that bad. Do have a second drive to try in? Have you tried cleaning the disc?

Edit: there's an alternate install method here: http://www.battlefieldhr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=483

I don't have a second drive, and the disc was pretty much spotless.

I've managed to sort it now. Had to burn the contents of the DVD to an ISO and run it with Daemon Tools - haven't had a chance to play yet (patching from 515-something to 610-something (I think) will keep me busy for a while :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

your dvd drive is buggered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Yeah, that is taking the piss taking that long....however I would say maybe the DEAMON TOOLS is messing with the install. Could be copyrite protection on the disc and making it conflict with it......

Would not go as far as saying the DVD ROM is fooked, as it would be acting up on all games and discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Yeah, that is taking the piss taking that long....however I would say maybe the DEAMON TOOLS is messing with the install. Could be copyrite protection on the disc and making it conflict with it......

Would not go as far as saying the DVD ROM is fooked, as it would be acting up on all games and discs.

Eh, Wonda, he used Daemon tools to install it properly. It was installing it from the DVD that was the issue, not DT lol

Eh, Wonda, he used Daemon tools to install it properly. It was installing it from the DVD that was the issue, not DT lol
    Unless the program I used to burn the ISO would be tinkering with any copy protection - I'm not really well-versed on CD/DVD copying tools so I have no idea tbh. Google has brought me a few others (very little, one or two from some quick searches) who have had a similar issue - some guy let the thing install for 10 hours :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Yeah, I know that dubs.:rolleyes: But if you have that program open it can interfere with installs and CD DRIVEs etc...trust me I had this problem.

Eh, the DVD drive doesn't seem to be an issue at all (you were probably onto something with Daemon Tools though, Wonda-Boy)

Uninstalled the game because the updater wasn't working, and re-installed it from the DVD after closing Daemon Tools and it was done in 15-20 mins

Sadly though, the updater is still a steaming heap of sh*t - I had to download v553292 manually from EA, but there is no download available for v602574 and the updater keeps getting a data error at loader-00.fbrb...

Fairly bloody annoyed at that now, I wanted to give the game a go just for the multiplayer but now it's not much more than an expensive coaster...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Eh, the DVD drive doesn't seem to be an issue at all (you were probably onto something with Daemon Tools though, Wonda-Boy)

Uninstalled the game because the updater wasn't working, and re-installed it from the DVD after closing Daemon Tools and it was done in 15-20 mins

Sadly though, the updater is still a steaming heap of sh*t - I had to download v553292 manually from EA, but there is no download available for v602574 and the updater keeps getting a data error at loader-00.fbrb...

Fairly bloody annoyed at that now, I wanted to give the game a go just for the multiplayer but now it's not much more than an expensive coaster...

Oh yes there is
    http://www.fileplanet.com/217662/210000/fileinfo/Battlefield:-Bad-Company-2-Patch-v602574-R10

Oh... :o

Although, this is still giving me ridiculous trouble. Both the BC2 updater and the self-extracting archives are having issues at the same point (assuming the updater follows some logical order in downloading the .p files) - I've downloaded the patch from FilePlanet, AusGamers, EA and another mirror , and I'm getting CRC errors when extracting the files from the archive on patch28.p (along with a few others, annoyingly, but 28 has been common to all the failures so far) and the tempPatch folder only contains the files up to, and including, patch27.p... now, if only I could figure out why this file is being so damn stubborn :mad:

Maybe I can find a place where I can torrent the file, since that's usually served me well when all else fails... GamersHell doesn't have the patch (I think) so that's not an option :(

Here's an alternate source:

http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/battlefield-bad-company-2/downloads/battlefield_bad_company_2,44680,2319625.html

Try using a download manager, Flashgot, Free Download Manager, etc to allow resuming.

Spear wrote: »
    Here's an alternate source:

http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/battlefield-bad-company-2/downloads/battlefield_bad_company_2,44680,2319625.html

Try using a download manager, Flashgot, Free Download Manager, etc to allow resuming.
    Thanks for that - after 6 attempts at downloading the patch (4 of which were overnight, I think, so there wouldn't be any activity that might interfere), I got the patch working after downloading from that site with Free Download Manager.

Now, I need to figure out how to play :pac:

Advertisement