Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BBC confirms Formula 1 in HD for 2011

• 13-01-2011 8:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭

The BBC has announced that it will broadcast the 2011 Formula 1 season in high definition in the UK.

The news comes following the confirmation by Formula One Management (FOM) that all broadcasters will receive an high definition feed from this year.

As revealed by AUTOSPORT earlier today, FOM officially confirmed true HD coverage starting in 2011.

"Along with many, many HD viewers, I'm delighted that we'll have a chance next season to see Formula 1 in all its glory on television," said Danielle Nagler, Head of BBC HD and 3D.

"It's fantastic news that FOM has decided to green light HD broadcasts, and we're looking forward to sharing with the fans all the races in all their detail on BBC One HD and BBC HD."

The BBC also confirmed that former team boss Eddie Jordan will continue to be part of its commentary team, in an expanded role as primary analyst.

"It's fantastic that Eddie is rejoining the team, and this year in a more expanded role," said Ben Gallop, BBC Head of F1. "He's such a core character with his outspoken views, unrivalled contacts in the sport and his ability to unearth the stories from the paddock.

"We're also delighted to be broadcasting in HD, something we know fans have been waiting for and it will really add something extra to our coverage for 2011."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88883

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Does anybody know if they have decided on Moto GP being in HD yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I presume we are out of luck here in Ireland with Sky?

mad muffin wrote: »
    I presume we are out of luck here in Ireland with Sky?

You can tune in BBC One HD and view through Other Channels if using a Sky box.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    You can tune in BBC One HD and view through Other Channels if using a Sky box.

Yeah but not record...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Yeah but not record...

A freesat box or a combo with hard drive can record BBC HD

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Rizzo the Rat

it says in the press release that it will be in on BBC1 HD and BBC HD. If it is on BBC HD (Channel 143) you will be able to record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭cartman51773

if its bbc hd were laughing but i cant see us ever getting BBC one Hd on the epg

it says in the press release that it will be in on BBC1 HD and BBC HD. If it is on BBC HD (Channel 143) you will be able to record.

WooHoo...:pac:

I skimmed through it but didn't see anything about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

BBC1HD for the live race, BBC HD for the highlights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Live is the only way to watch sport anyway, so I`m not too fussed that its on BBC1 HD (as a Sky subscriber).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

God bless the BBC, their F1 coverage is brilliant as it is, and now in HD. They cover the entire weekend, including testing, practice, qually, race and post race forum (red button or fta stream channel). All great, informative and entertaining stuff. . . .And not an ad in sight,

Remember the dark old days of (SH)ITV ???? Ads every 4 minutes usually during a major crash or when Haikkenen was passing Schumacher.

evilivor wrote: »
    BBC1HD for the live race, BBC HD for the highlights.

Noooooooo. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Apogee

Yeah but not record...

Does BBC One HD show up on the default EPG (i.e. with the card inserted upside down) like BBC HD ?

If yes, then you can use the following procedure to record BBC One HD.
    "How to record FTA channels on your Sky+/Sky+HD box"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭sob1467

Does anybody know if they have decided on Moto GP being in HD yet?

The last two races of the 2010 season were in HD. I remember watching both of them on the HD channel. It really adds to the race.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/General-news/2010/October/oct2110-bbc-motogp-hd/

sob1467 wrote: »
    The last two races of the 2010 season were in HD. I remember watching both of them on the HD channel. It really adds to the race.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/General-news/2010/October/oct2110-bbc-motogp-hd/

Yeah. They wanted to see what the reaction to it would be. It would be madness to not have it in HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

There is nothing like the bass and Guitar riff from the song "The Chain" by Fleetwood Mac to open the program. Hopefully we might get to see BBC One HD on the epg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

Jonathan Legard is out.

Martin Brundle is lead commentator and David Coultard will be joining him in the commentary box (sigh... queue the "Well, I used to drive for that Red Bull Team..." comments).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 jay lazy

I was thinking of getting Sky in my apartment now that HD has been announced for the 2011 season.

NTL is the default provider in my block but they can't provide HD yet just regular channels.

Is there anything I should check to make sure i can watch the F1 in HD before I sign up for Sky?

Thanks

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

jay lazy wrote: »
    I was thinking of getting Sky in my apartment now that HD has been announced for the 2011 season.

NTL is the default provider in my block but they can't provide HD yet just regular channels.

Is there anything I should check to make sure i can watch the F1 in HD before I sign up for Sky?

Thanks
    As you seem to be in an apartment block, will you be alowed to fit a satellite dish?

Is there maybe a communal dish? Doubtful, since you say NTL/UPC is the default provider.

You don't necessarily need Sky to get BBC HD, it's available with a Freesat or FTA HD box and relevant dish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 jay lazy

Sorry should have explained, a communal dish has recently been installed hence the possibility of Sky rather depending on NTL.

The whole block is prewired by Smarthomes so I imagine that installation will be easy.

Was just thinking are there any areas that can get Sky but not HD? probably not as it's satellite based rather than NTL?

• Advertisement

If you can get Sky you can get HD.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If you can get Sky you can get HD.

..... and you can get Freesat, which has BBC HD and BBC 1 HD, as well as ITV 1HD, and soon, CH 4HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Unlike UPC (NTL is gone), Satellite reception gives some free HD channels.
    If you have a Sky box, a Sky HD subscription gives more better quality HD than UPC cable (anywhere a Sky or satellite box works), with some continued free HD and over 45 decent non HD channels free, if you cancel. Cancel UPC cable and you are entitled to nothing.

A communal dish also works with Generic FTA and Freesat HD receivers as well as Sky subscriptions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 The Mirage

I am on UPS and the F1 coverage is not on BBC HD - is there a different channel called BBC1 HD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Shame the on screen graphics are in the 4:3 safe zone.
    The Mirage wrote: »
    I am on UPS and the F1 coverage is not on BBC HD - is there a different channel called BBC1 HD?

Yes, yes there is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,046 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

sob1467 wrote: »

Naw it doesn't, its still boring;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

The Mirage wrote: »
    is there a different channel called BBC1 HD?

YES.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

NIMAN wrote: »
    Naw it doesn't, its still boring;)

Maybe we should get the North West 200 and the Ulster Grand Prix and the TT in HD, that really would be exciting....but no, that would terrify any F1 fans who came across it by mistake:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I didn't think there was too much of a difference between BBC1 on my box and BBC1HD in my other channels TBH. Its not good quality at all compared with say the Nascar or Indycar, even the British Rally championship shows on sky sport HD. If they moved it to the dedicated BBC-HD channel then that might be different though, still i wasn't convinced by Sundays showing!

• Advertisement
Advertisement