Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOR vs NIGHTFORCE

Options
  • 13-01-2011 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

thinking of buying a scope for my .308. it will be used on the range at various distances and i cant decide between an IOR or a NIGHTFORCE. so just looking for peoples opionons on both scopes

cheers

tommy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Can't comment on the IOR as I've never used one, but I can vouch for the Nightforce - Bloody good scope! Can't fault them TBH.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I'll start the ball rolling by endorsing the Nightforce. Never tried the IOR so no point running it down.

The Nightforce while being a bit more expensive than the IOR is worth the money. They have an excellent range of reticles for different purposes, and some of the highest magnification factors for a scope. If its the longer range shooting an 8-32x56 or 12-42x56 would be best suited. Don't forget the 20/30/40 MOA rail although with either of the aforementioned models a 20MOA will do for up to 1,000 yards.

The NXS model has side parallex, 0.25 (1/4) click value, and 10 MOA per turret revloution.
    The BR (Benchrest) model has the parallex incorporated into the objective lense housing and is not as "fussy" as the side adjustment on the NXS. It has 0.125 click value (1/8), and comes in a number of reticles, but some of the NXS reticles are not available on the BR models.

They are a heavy enough scope so weigh limits if you are doing comps could be an issue, but were talking grams. All in all they were designed as a target scope and perform this function excellently.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

A friend got a high mag IOR last year and I set it up for him and helped him zero it.
    Glass and reticule were ok but I didnt like the target turrets.
    After sighting in I found it a pain to set them back to zero
    I think I had to slacken 3 or 4 screws on each turret and couldnt get an allen key to fit properly.
    Personally I would get the Nightforce as they are proven in the world of target shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

I have a NF 5.5-22X56 and couldnt recommend it more.
    A mate of mine bought an IOR from John Greene and brought it out when I had my NF out aswell.
    I found the IOR reticle too big - I love the thin precise reticles on the NFs - but thats just my personal preference.
    In low light the NF was brighter then the IOR and my mate who had just bought his IOR agreed with this.
    The adjustment knobs on the NF have a much more precise and definite feel to them also over the IOR.
    In short - the IOR is a fine scope but if you can stretch the budget a little more the NightForce NXS scope - In My Opinion - is a better scope over all.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭meathshooter1

nightforce all the way the fclass lads swear by them.also consider s&b,zeiss

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

i have in IOR on my .308 and it works just fine. i have used it lamping a few foxes and it is well able for that. it is the 4-14x50
    i will be testing it on long range shooting soon enough as i have some superformance ammo that i want to do a drop chart for.
    i like the positive feel to the turrets and when i 0 them i can put a cover over them so as they dont get disturbed untill i want to click them up or down

i have shot to 430 useing the IOR PLINKING. and my longest deer shot at 312 was with the IOR on the .308. i cant complain.
    it would be best to get the 2 side by side if you could

best of luck with your choice

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Can only comment on the Nightforce, common complaints are poor contrast and less than perfect eye relief/alignment. Both of which are not deal breakers for me at all

Other than that they extremely well made, focus to a crisp image, work flawlessly and are easy to use. You cant really appreciate a scope like this until you look through some bad ones.

No experience with IOR but have heard good things. Go to range if possible and look through both side by side if you have any doubts

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Hartman

I hated my Nightforce, the glass was very clear but spent a long time messing around getting correct eye relief. Hated the knurled turrets too.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

i use an IOR 6-24x50 on my .308. cant fault it at all. glass is crystal clear, gathers lots of light in low light conditions, the turrets have nice positive feel to them, easy to focus, zoom etc and no problems to report as regards eye relief. factor in the price and its very good value for money. snipercentral.com do a very indept review on 2 or 3 of them, well worth a look;)

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    thinking of buying a scope for my .308. it will be used on the range at various distances and i cant decide between an IOR or a NIGHTFORCE. so just looking for peoples opionons on both scopes

cheers

tommy

You should also take a look at the sightron scopes.
    mate of mine just got the 10x50x60 model.
    We didnt get a chance to test it yet but it looks well built and the glass seems good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

zeissman wrote: »
    You should also take a look at the sightron scopes.
    mate of mine just got the 10x50x60 model.
    We didnt get a chance to test it yet but it looks well built and the glass seems good.

were did he buy the sightron and how much did he pay?

cheers tommy

were did he buy the sightron and how much did he pay?

cheers tommy

A relative brought it back from the states for him so it only cost him around
    720 euro. I think they are about 980 sterling in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

theres a spotless 10=50x60 one for sale on airgunbbs.com for 800 with mounts and sidewheel if your interested, just spotted it earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

I have a nightforce and i'm very happy with it, but if i was to shell out again i would realy consider the Sightron, have a read of this link..
    http://aimfieldsports.com/About-AIM-Products/Editorial-Reviews/Target-Shooter-June-2010-SIIISS-10-50x60-LRTD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

ormondprop wrote: »
    theres a spotless 10=50x60 one for sale on airgunbbs.com for 800 with mounts and sidewheel if your interested, just spotted it earlier

Your man sellin it's in Omagh, so you could do the deal f-2-f; he might knock a few £ off for doing it in person...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Glensman wrote: »
    Your man sellin it's in Omagh, so you could do the deal f-2-f; he might knock a few £ off for doing it in person...

do you have to be a member of that site to see where the sales page is?tommy

do you have to be a member of that site to see where the sales page is?tommy

Member and have a few posts under your belt as well mate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

I have a nightforce and i'm very happy with it, but if i was to shell out again i would realy consider the Sightron, have a read of this link..
    http://aimfieldsports.com/About-AIM-Products/Editorial-Reviews/Target-Shooter-June-2010-SIIISS-10-50x60-LRTD

Seriously tempted by the Sightron in either this mag or the 8-32X56LRTD at 580 euro in the US if I send it to a friend in the US to do the follow on shipping, or carry it home for me.

Was budgeting 500 + for second hand scopes but from reviews, these look like a good buy.

Tikkat3 wrote: »
    Seriously tempted by the Sightron in either this mag or the 8-32X56LRTD at 580 euro in the US if I send it to a friend in the US to do the follow on shipping, or carry it home for me.

Was budgeting 500 + for second hand scopes but from reviews, these look like a good buy.

If it's for benchrest you could try this fixed power sightron, ex-demo.

http://www.samplelist.com/Sightron-36x42-SII-Big-Sky-Rifle-Scope-DEMO-B-P1511.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Glensman wrote: »
    Your knowledge of Omagh men seems very limited :D

• Advertisement

demonloop wrote: »
    Your knowledge of Omagh men seems very limited :D

HaHaHa!!! :D

Advertisement