Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon XXd vs XXXd

• 13-01-2011 8:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.

Got my first DSLR a couple of weeks ago and have completely caught the bug. Already thinking about upgrading in the next couple of weeks.

I'm just wondering about peoples opinions of the different ranges of Canon cameras.

I've read a few reviews of different models, and there often seems to be more emphasis on build quality and other features then on image quality.

Would you prefer to buy a XXd to a XXXd, even if the XXXd was cheaper and had a similar resolution?

Is build quality that important, or are there other features in the XXd range which I might not have considered?

I think what I really want to know is this: Is there anything about the XXXd range that prevents them from taking as good a picture as an XXd with similar/same sensor?

The XXXd range seem to offer WAY more bang for your buck, yet pros and semi-pros seem to favour the Xd and XXd series.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Why on earth are you thinking about upgrading already if you only have your camera a short time. You'd really be better off getting to grips with the camera you have, learn its strengths and weaknesses. Use it to learn what you can/can't shoot, what settings you need in a given situation and so on.

If you are happy with the camera you have stick with it. Perhaps buy a lens or two (depending on what you like to photograph). Just shoot and learn rather than getting caught up in what the best gear is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what he said - if you only started a few weeks ago, your experience is *far* more of a limiting factor than the camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Fnergg

condra wrote: »
    ..I think what I really want to know is this: Is there anything about the XXXd range that prevents them from taking as good a picture as an XXd with similar/same sensor?...

No.

Spend your money on good lenses and stop fretting about the camera body.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

I kept my first Canon camera body for years before upgrading it. Instead i just bought better glass, or other accessories that i needed as i went along.

Now, years later, i upgraded the body to a better one, but still have all the original lenses and accessories.

I'd personally be much happier with a Camera body and several good / decent lenses, as supposed to an upgraded camera with kit lens and relatively no experience of working a dlsr.

Basically, i agree with what everyone else has said. Ge to know your camera first, and if you really want to invest in it, get a nice lens, which will last you for as long as you are interested in photography.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Thanks for all the replies but it looks like I should have left out the first part. It is indeed my first digital SLR, but I have experience in film photography, graphic design and video already, so I'm already reasonably versed in shutter speeds, composition, exposure etc.

I do not expect the equipment to do the work for me. I'm simply thinking of throwing 100-200 euro onto a trade in, to go from 6 megapixel to 10 or more, for very practical reasons and not any sort of childish gear lust.

If anyone has anything to advise about XXd vs XXXd, do please let me know.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Thanks for all the replies but it looks like I should have left out the first part. It is indeed my first digital SLR, but I have experience in film photography, graphic design and video already, so I'm already reasonably versed in shutter speeds, composition, exposure etc.

I do not expect the equipment to do the work for me. I'm simply thinking of throwing 100-200 euro onto a trade in, to go from 6 megapixel to 10 or more, for very practical reasons and not any sort of childish gear lust.

If anyone has anything to advise about XXd vs XXXd, do please let me know.

Thanks

As i've only ever had a 50d canon I don't know really what I can tell you expect that all I ever hear is how the glass is more important than the body (unless you are doing large scale prints than maybe medium formats your man ect). throw down the money on some nice lens that you can still be using when you eventually get a different model.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Don't go out and buy stuff just for the sake of it (Bodies & Lenses) instead shoot with what you have and when you start to find you are being limited then look for a solution. You should shoot your own style and so that will mean that you will have your own requirements. Far better to come here with some shots saying "I am shooting xxxxxxx but I just cannot seem to get it sharp, what should I do?" Then the collective may say "Well you're doing a good job with what you have but a faster lens like xxxxxxx will make your life a lot easier"

Having said that, if you happen across a bargain then grab it, we all do.

Remember .... there's more than just Bodies & Glass that will absorb your spare cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Condra, did you buy an old 6MP Canon? Is it the resolution that you're concerned about or have you come across another limitation?

If the camera you have is doing what you want it to do, keep your money!

Thanks again everyone for the replies. I do appreciate people taking the time to reply. However, I have to respectfully assert that my original question (XXd vs XXXd) was not addressed.

I'm well aware that good kit doesn't make a good photographer, just like a Clavia Nord Synthesizer doesn't make a good musician, but I'm also not romantic enough to let old equipment get in the way of my goals.

As I mentioned above, the reason I was pondering the XXd vs XXXd thing was that I intended to get a camera with higher resolution than what I had, for very practical reasons.

I also saw a bargain which I didn't know if I could pass up. (in the end I didn't)

Anyway, I wanted to go from 6 megapixels to 10 or more, and I came across this:
    sweet.png

Can anyone spot the bargain above?

The guy in Conns didn't spot it until I was half way out the door already.

-

Turns out they somehow didn't realize the XSi was the 450d when they priced it.

For what it's worth, the difference between my old 300d and my new 450d (Rebel XSi) is NIGHT AND DAY, and the trade up price was minimal. I don't expect it to make me a better photographer, but it does take much higher
    resolution and much higher quality images than what I had.

There is a difference between "gearlust" and upgrading. This is an upgrade I know I won't regret.
    CabanSail wrote: »
    Having said that, if you happen across a bargain then grab it, we all do.
    Now that's sound advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

That's a s/h 450D, price is about right from what I've seen...

• Advertisement

I think it's a great deal. Regardless, it was a very worthwhile upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

As I mentioned above, the reason I was pondering the XXd vs XXXd thing was that I intended to get a camera with higher resolution than what I had, for very practical reasons.
    Would have been a good idea if you'd mentioned this in your OP!

It shouldn't have mattered. I asked peoples opinions on A vs B.
    Like I said though, I appreciate people taking the time to reply, either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Dimy

I've had a 350D and currently own a 50D body. To be honest I don't believe the camera body makes a very big impact on picture quality if in fact at all.

Lenses make the big difference, so better to invest in them then upgrading your current body. Don't get me wrong, the 50D is a much better camera than the 350D but for other reasons. The better build quality mostly and it's a bigger body making it a bit more comfortable to operate.

Imho, the 60D is the downfall of the XXD series... it has a full plastic body. If you do want to upgrade to a XXD, go for a 30-40 or 50D. I guess the 7D is the true successor of the 50D.

Thanks for the comment Dimy. I think I'm starting to get my head around Canons strange naming/numbering system. Seems the XXXd series offers great value for money, as long as you're prepared to be gentle! Anyway, with any luck, I won't have to upgrade for a long time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fatscally

I'm going to go with Cabinsail on this and do a "what he said".

The night and day effect you're getting is 3 generations of digital upgrade. The 300 was never brill, the 350 was outstanding in it's class at that time and the 450 is a minimal upgrade. I don't think you made a killing at that price but once you're happy that'll do. Now that we know more about your intentions I think it was a good move to go from the 300 to the 450d but that's where I'd leave it until I built up a decent lens collection.

Your question xxxd v xxd... is many fold. Build is more robust and durable, pixel count usually higher, dynamic range broader, processing speed faster for focusing/writing to card etc, better night time focusing and on and on and on. When you go again from xxd to xd then it's another step up in all directions. It might be understood as Box Cart to Ford Fiesta to Tank.

As for taking pictures: At low iso, say with the same lens, and let's say in studio conditions and say printed on an A3 sheet, there wouldn't be much percievable difference between the 450d, the 50d and the 1Ds. (That'll get some goats up). But at higher resolutions and under bad lighting when you need a performance camera the 450d will strain quickly to focus and get noisy past 400iso, the 50d will do well up to about 800iso, and naturally the 1Ds leaves them in the dust (or should that be dusk?)

Enjoy.

Cheers for the witty and insightful reply.

The 300d was terrific fun but I felt the image quality was mediocre, and the 6mp res was a tad low. I feel almost scared to say that because it's evidently a tough crowd in here sometimes. :p

I've been reading comparisons on other forums and it seems to get up peoples backs when people ask for comparisons between camera models, so I apologize if it p***ed anyone off.

I agree with you that with the 450d I can forget about bodies now and focus my future investments on lenses. I've already bought a "nifty fifty" and it is great for portraits. Eventually I'll splash out on a truly great lens, but for now I'm very happy with the kit lens and 50 prime.

Cheers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Thanks for the comment Dimy. I think I'm starting to get my head around Canons strange naming/numbering system. Seems the XXXd series offers great value for money, as long as you're prepared to be gentle! Anyway, with any luck, I won't have to upgrade for a long time now.

Wikipedia has a great page to show features and naming -
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Canon_EOS_Digital_Cameras

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

Hi Condra, welcome to the forum.

I had a 450D in the past and I have a 40D now as my backup camera. Build quality isn't the be all and end all for me either, but the 40D feels a lot more "solid". I prefer the controls on the 40D too, the selection wheel yoke on the back is great and there is also a display on the top of the camera (don't use this much myself).

The best thing is the increased fps. High speed continuous drive is great fun! Great for sport and action shots etc.

Overall, I suppose I found it a reasonably big step up from the 450D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

I think the biggest differences between an XXd and an XXXd (of the same generation) are the strength of the body (the XXd body will have a hell of a lot more metal in it, and generally be more solid, on the law of averages) and the maximum burst rate FPS you can squeeze out of it; for the sake of example, the 50D versus the 500D (which were released around the same time). Both have the same number of megapixels (15.1) on an identically-sized sensor (APS-C), but have differently designed sensors - the 50D can pull a lot more data off the sensor than the 500D can - 6.3 or so versus 3.4.

Also, the more expensive camera may have additional features unlocked - one that I spotted looking at the Wikipedia pages was that the Exposure Bracketing was up to +-9 stops on the 50D, and +- 3 stops on the 500D. I'm not sure when exactly you'd need that wide a range, but there you go.

The other thing I remember about the differences between these two models is that the 50D has a top-mounted LCD display whereas the 500D doesn't. I'd imagine the LCD is damned useful in bright sunshine.

Don't know if any of that helps, but...
    Gadget

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies. Image quality and price/value are more important to me than build quality or burst speed, so I'm happy enough that the modern XXXd cameras are capable of very high quality images.

I might upgrade to a XXd at some point in the distant future, but I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything too important for what I'm doing right now, which is mostly lightbox stuff and a few portraits.

Advertisement