Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many days without service are needed to break a contract with Magnet?

• 13-01-2011 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

My line went down 6 days ago and despite calling Magnet daily, the only response I get is that an engineer will call me during the day, which never happens.

I'm still under the 12months clause, but I can imagine that if they stop providing any service it should be possible to terminate the contract without any penalty. Do any of you know how long does one to be without service to avoid the termination penalty?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Just don't pay them any more.

Their legal advisers will tell them there's no point in pursuing you.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

n97 mini wrote: »
    Just don't pay them any more.

Their legal advisers will tell them there's no point in pursuing you.

Frankly thats unhelpful advise and isn't a very good route to go down, especially for the amount of hassel it'll create for the OP.

In relation to the OP's issue, is the 6 days without service both phone and Broadband or just Broadband?

What exactly did they say when you reported the issue, did they troubleshoot, raise a fault ticket etc?

Cabaal wrote: »
    Frankly thats unhelpful advise and isn't a very good route to go down, especially for the amount of hassel it'll create for the OP.
    Speaking from experience the OP will probably get a couple of letters and that'll be it.

OTOH, you're possibly suggesting he put up with more nonsense. Enough is enough!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Speaking from experience the OP will probably get a couple of letters and that'll be it.

Still pretty irresponsible advice none the less,
    OTOH, you're possibly suggesting he put up with more nonsense. Enough is enough!

I'm suggesting he follow their fault process and atleast give them the chance to resolve his issue, given there's a Magnet rep on boards.ie I';m sure he'd get assistance if he contact him.

There's also Magnet's own support forum,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Magnet: Gary

Hi,

Please send me your account number and name via PM and I will get onto this straight away.

Thanks

Gary

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Still pretty irresponsible advice none the less,
    You might need to explain how refusing to pay for a service not being received is irresponsible

You might need to explain how refusing to pay for a service not being received is irresponsible

I don't have to I have enough experience with small claims court and other services to know that they generally look dimly on people that do this to companys without atleast following a companys complaints procedure.

In addition to this it also means the company is legally entitled to pursue the debt all they want and pass it to a debt collection agency, they in turn will annoy the crap out of the OP

You may say they'll drop it but this may not be for 12 months or more after numerous calls and letters etc,

You may speak from your one or two personal experiences with a very slanted view, I however speak from industry experiences on numerous levels.

The OP is much better off interacting with the company in the manner I've already suggested atleast in an attempt to get the issue resolved.

If its the case they can;t or won't resolve his issue then he has evidence he has attempted to get it resolved and he'd much more easily be able to go further and get refund and/or contract waived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You can't just stop paying. First, you need to give the provider time to fix the problem, and if it's not fixed (or takes too long), then you can use this as a reason to cancel without penalty. If you just stop paying, then you are in breech of the contract, and will be liable for any fees that might apply.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

And you should keep a written record of all your dealings with the company during the process.

The basic test is what would a reasonable person think of the behaviour of both parties. And as has been rightly observed above just heading off into the sunset leaving unpaid bills is unlikely to impress a third party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭billyboy01

They should compensate you for your lack of service, either with a free months service or a discount on your current bill.

• Advertisement

OP, did you manage to get your issue looked into?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 b6sh

Yes, they fixed it on the 17th (making it a total 10 days with no phone or broadband). It was a remote issue as no engineer visit to my home was needed to resolve it.

Thanks everybody for the advice, I decided to keep it civil and continue paying. I will now have to contact their billing dep. though, as they charged me the full month and that's unfair.

Advertisement