Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

getting quotes for furnishing council house query ?

• 13-01-2011 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

ok ive accepted my offer of a council house
    3 bedroomed unfurnished
    been told by community welfare officerto go get quotes for furniture, flooring, appliances etc for house
    ive never had to purchase such items before so not sure what to expect to pay, but went looking they were dearer than i had expected even with sale prices. and ive found it adds up quite a bit im unsure what we will be given and worried it may not be enough is there any thruth to there being a liit of €3000 to fully fit out the house ?
    any one who has been through this process id like to hear how it went for you and rough estimate of cost and whta you had to get as ive about 2 weeks to get it all priced and fitted ?
    cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Get the quotes first and take them to the welfare officer. He'll decide from there how much the health board will pay towards the bill. You probably wont get the full amount...but there are some things you can do without for now.
    And...congratulations on your new home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭sls

i need carpets basically flooring throughout the entire house
    cooker, washing machine, fridge, beds, furniture
    id be happy with that but price for those alsone seems higher than i was expecting and im worried if not full amount do i need to come up with the rest as im not in any great financial situation
    just slightly concerned and thanks for congratulations

Well,I suppose if you dont go mad looking at a suite for 2000 and a cooker for 1000,you should do ok :D

Ah no,seriously..shop around and get the best prices.

Make a list and stick to it and as you get the cheapest quote for each,you'll have a fair idea how much you need from the CWO.

Also..keep an eye on Free websites. You might not have to buy half as much as you thought ;)

does how much your awarded vary from county to county im not looking for top line models by any means just basic appliances that will last and cheapest carpet they have even at that is spiraling up and over €3000 by the time ill have the lot estimated

sls wrote: »
    does how much your awarded vary from county to county im not looking for top line models by any means just basic appliances that will last and cheapest carpet they have even at that is spiraling up and over €3000 by the time ill have the lot estimated

I really dont know how the CWO calculates what you'll get,sorry cant help you on that one.

But please...have a look at the free websites!!

• Advertisement

i only know of jumble town and adverts.ie on here any where else you could suggest id much appricate it ?

They're my top 2 :D

Theres also freecycle and itsinmyway.com

Stick up a wanted ad on JT, I bet you'll be lucky!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭upinthesky

i think anything you buy has to be new i don't think they will pay out on second hand stuff
    congrats on the house!

lisar816 wrote: »
    i think anything you buy has to be new i don't think they will pay out on second hand stuff
    congrats on the house!

Theres free sections all all those sites. :)

Jumbletown.ie is totally free..everything on it is free free free :D

Its a fantastic site!

So what Im saying to the OP is to try get some stuff free,then she wont have a huge list going to the CWO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

Both my sister in law and friend recently moved into unfurnished council houses. Both were given just over 3000 euro to furnish their houses. Neither had to provided quotes before they received the money so it definitely must differ from area to area as both of them are in different counties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

buy some second-hand furniture. Or visit liquidation depots. €2000 should go a long way.

trish2007 do you mind me asking what counties they are in ? yes i understand it might be nice to manage to pick up one of the items or more on a free website if im lucky would have a smaller list with a smaller sum when going to CWO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

sls wrote: »
    trish2007 do you mind me asking what counties they are in ? yes i understand it might be nice to manage to pick up one of the items or more on a free website if im lucky would have a smaller list with a smaller sum when going to CWO
    Donegal and Mayo. Sister in law was given a list with the expected costing of each item on it as a guide but she didnt have to stick to it or provide receipts for what she spent the money on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Trish2007 wrote: »
    Both my sister in law and friend recently moved into unfurnished council houses. Both were given just over 3000 euro to furnish their houses. Neither had to provided quotes before they received the money so it definitely must differ from area to area as both of them are in different counties.

That's unusual. The norm would be for the CWO to send payment cheques to the shops based on the quotes submitted for the relevant allowed items the tenant selected, up to a certain amount. An amount of only about Euro 300 is usually paid by cheque directly to the tenant.

my sister in kilkenny just got one cheque for her items was not paid to shop or individual cheques ahe did have a smaller amount paid to her as in full time work with good wage coming in
    ive a quote so far for €3200 foreverything bar flooring ?
    whats views on this

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

ikea and bargaintown are your friends:)
    Ask powercity for a quote for all the appliances that you need,they give good discounts.
    It should be more then possible to kit a small house out with basics for 3k.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭dozydelilah

Give your full list to the council. I would imagine the flooring would be in?? Ask!! There's no harm. Also ask them for the energy rating for the house!! By law it should have one, and if it's bad it's you that's going to have to heet it!!!
    Also keep an eye on donedeal.ie people selling all kinds of things, and there's pictures. I got the exact cooker I wanted, it was brand new ( still had the plastic an all on it!! It was less than half the price it would be in the shops!!

have seen the house and its just concrete floor no flooring fitted i have to price carpets tiles woodfloor etc for all the rooms as well and fitting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭upinthesky

ahh that's no good get your quotes for everything including flooring and see what they can do for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭danois

it all really depends on were you are living and on the CWO some will give more than others. when i got my stuff they did not allow money towards flooring as its not a necesity unless you have a child with astma.

Just be nice to the CWO i went in and the next day a friend of mine went in we were both on the same payment and both gave in quotes that were within 100 of each other and she got 700 less off him than i did no idea why so be nice cause its at the discretion of the CWO

• Advertisement
Advertisement