Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So I got GT5, to see what all the fuss was about

• 13-01-2011 9:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭

I've played lots of sim racing on the PC, mostly Papyrus stuff to start with, and done a lot of online league racing in some of their Nascar sims, and of course Grand Prix Legends. Live For Speed, GTR and GTR2 also got driven a fair bit, and finally just over a year ago subscribed to iRacing, which is by far the best online sim racing experience I've had. Much as I love it though, the amount of time needed to take part in a series and be competitive is too much for me at the moment, so I'm in a pro-longed break from it for now.

Got GT5 at Christmas when the PS3 arrived, I'd never played any of the previous versions, so when I eventually got around to setting up my G25 on the PS3, I gave it a go. It surprised me, its actually a very good game, and it looks stunning, the replays and screenshots you can take are incredible looking. I wouldn't go as far as saying its a simulator, its too easy really to jump in and drive with all the aids off in GT mode, and win, but still, it has enough detail in it that it has drawn me in and has kept me playing it. Only playing A spec at the moment, up to level 21 and steadily rising, it seems very easy to make money, the seasonal events in particular have nearly all been reasonably straight-forward to win (apart from Nascar at the ring).

Its a game I can just load up, run through a few races, browse the car dealerships and buy stuff I've either owned, or always wanted to own. The game does get you into a "car collector" mood. Really want to get my hands on a 91 Honda Prelude 2.2 SI VTEC, I've raced against one during one of the A spec races, so I know its in there, hasn't come up in the used car dealership yet though.

Next up for me is online play. No idea what to expect, but from reading the threads here its good that there are penalties for course cutting. I see the races you guys are running here are in Arcade mode, is that different in some way to how to cars handle in GT mode?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭nocal

There are some differences between online mode and GT mode.
    The most striking is that the grip of the tyres improves as the tyre heats up and then depending on the length of the race and the abuse the tyres get they can go off a bit. I would guess that the tyre grip model used is not quite as realistic as it could be but it plays a role.

I think the other main difference is that the side of the track and off the track have a grip setting of "real" in the online mode but it is set to "low" in GT mode (which actually makes these areas have more grip. I think you can set this yourself in Arcade mode if you so wish.)

For Online mode the rules can be set by the person who creates the room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭M00lers

Have you adjusted the Physics settings in the wheel setup? It makes a massive difference to the feel when using a wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Have you adjusted the Physics settings in the wheel setup? It makes a massive difference to the feel when using a wheel.

How do you adjust the settings of a wheel, ive a DFGT and i know i can change the button config but thats about it, is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Doc_Savage

Go into settings and down twice till you see a load of wheels... go into steering options and you can change the level of force feedback. If the option doesn't highlight a dfgt then it doesn't apply to it. Ie. That setting may apply to the dfp (driving force pro) . I recommend setting the level at 9 or 10. It's heavy but makes the steering feel more direct. Hope you have a good stand as my wheels tearing my homemade stand apart at that setting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Ive found it a tad over rated and mildly irritating at times, got myself to level 20 and nlocked the expert races and found 1 race i could compete in and no more until level 21. the class right under expert had a classic car championship that i couldnt compete in as all the cars cost waaaay more than the million odd credits ive got(i mite be my fauly, maybe their is a cheap car to buy i havent noticed).
    The engine sounds are underwhelming and at times pathetic.
    Ive found some of the special events and licenses are either way to easy to get gold or near impossible to get even silver.
    I was really looking forward to the top gear track challenges until i had a go in the cars but atleast i got to see the track from more angles than than on tv.

• Advertisement

For the classic car championship I used a 60s Camero that I race modded and it was a challenge but one I enjoyed!

If you are having trouble leveling up then take part in the seasonal races.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

The seasonal event races are the money makers, easy to win with a lightly modified car. Well worth buying the car if you don't have it to take part.

I've started playing B-Spec, its rather dull, but a nice way to win all the lower events again to get more free cars, and credits, with no need to spend any credits as I've the cars to compete already from my A-spec racing.

Yea ive been on the b-spec a bit, seems very easy to win races just prefer doing the actual racing myself. Planning on getting stuck into the seasonal races over the weekend and hopefully get enough money to buy a few or the more expensive cars, dont think i could handle doing that classic championship in the camaro:D

Get your b-spec guy to do the "like the wind" event and you'll win a Toyota 7 race car and the historic racing event is a doddle with that!

Good stuff thanks, only done a few b specs so far, the "like the wind" event is still a got way off but atleast it gives me a reason to stick with the b spec for a while.

• Advertisement
Advertisement