Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Paranormal Investigation.Ross Castle 19th Feb 2011

Options
  • 13-01-2011 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

Well here we go!

Paranormal Investigation: Ross Castle - Saturday 19th Feb 2011

http://www.ross-castle.com/

ID19_main.jpg

Location:Ross Castle is on the Cavan/Meath boarder.It is situated on the shores of Lough Sheelin, County Meath, in the heart of Ireland. It features unique en-suite bed-and-breakfast accommodation in a historic setting. The castle offers beautiful waterfront views across a lake, famous for trout, perch and pike fishing & obviously ghosts.

Cost:The night will cost approximately €60 each incl. breakfast on Sunday morning. There are cooking facilities, beds, etc. This is a working guesthouse but we will have it to ourselves for the night. It is the only location in Ireland where you will have your own bed,warm showers and a full Irish breakfast the next morning.

This is not a first come first served trip. It has to go on my card in advance so I'm not leaving myself open to people not showing. I may try work out people getting payment to me in advance to cut down on this. If people are interested post here. Feel free to bring a +1 if you dont want to come alone (I brought a +3 on my first investigation many moons ago).

This will be a one night event with a group of 10 people including myself.

Please only out yourself forward if:

a) you are available on this date

b) you can get to the Castle (transport isnt provided but i'm sure some lifts can be sorted if you ask nicely)

c) you are willing to pay €60

Equipment:As I am organising this myself equipment will not be provided on the night. Please do not feel like you need to bring anything other than a torch. Personally I will have a torch, a still camera and an MP3 recorder. If you have an EMF meter or any other equipment feel free to bring it along.

Food:Food wont be provided on the night of the investigation. Traditionally someone gets nominated for a chipper run and everyone brings a few goodies for the community munchies. There will be ample tea and coffee provided.

Medical:If you are on any serious medication please let me know privately in case anything does happen so we know to call an ambulance and not the ghostbusters.

Usually we all meet at the castle at 8pm and investigate until about 1am with a few tea breaks in between. Co-incidentally Ouija boards are forbidden mainly because of the psychological effect they can have on people but secretly because I do not want to try and banish Lucifer himself from my bedroom.

This will be alot of fun, meet other paranormal boardsies and have some fun at paranormal investigation.

Can I also state this is being run at cost and I wont be making a cent on it.

Best

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Is there any chance of nicely and calmly asking for a sticky until the date :)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ruth KPS

Hahahaha G! You do make me laugh lol... count me in :D

Equipment wise, I won't be dragging our teams equipment all the way with me.. so I will only be bringing a torch, Digital Camera, a digital voice recorder, I will also bring an EMF Metre and Dowsing rods incase anyone wants to use them. I personally don't use them myself, but will bring them along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

If I can rob a lift there and back then I am almost certainly in, just gotta double check that.

ALMOST certainly. Can't stress that enough :P

Urizen wrote: »
    If I can rob a lift there and back then I am almost certainly in, just gotta double check that.

ALMOST certainly. Can't stress that enough :P

Ill pick you up! Students :rolleyes::D

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Riamfada wrote: »
    Is there any chance of nicely and calmly asking for a sticky until the date :)
    You charming man. Of course. Another bloody name change to wreck my head tho. ;)

Okay not particularly overwhelmed with interest in this despite poll results! If its not booked by the end of Jan Ill have to cancel.

Its always hard to convert mild interest into bums on seats. Especially when money is involved. Pity tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭feelio

how many you got so far?

:D Urizen, RuthKPS!

• Advertisement

People go! I'm looking forward to this.. I love Ross! Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Forgive my ignorance, but could you possibly explain the background behind Ross Castle and what the alleged supernatural activity there is? My only encounter with ghost stories of Ross were in a newspaper article and they were so reliable the author even got the county wrong :rolleyes:

I don't know much about the history of Ross, I don't like to know so I can't help you there!

So exactly how can one conduct an accurate investigation without prior research? Going in blind seems to me a surefire way to over-associate minor things thus getting an inaccurate measure on activity (or lack there of).

GodlessM wrote: »
    So exactly how can one conduct an accurate investigation without prior research? Going in blind seems to me a surefire way to over-associate minor things thus getting an inaccurate measure on activity (or lack there of).

Ill reply to this now but firstly are you looking for historical background or a list of other reported possible paranormal activity in the place?

Ill reply to this now but firstly are you looking for historical background or a list of other reported possible paranormal activity in the place?

The background on the haunting. What is the reported cause and what's the background on it?

The background on the haunting. What is the reported cause and what's the background on it?

Well not to sound glib but the cause for the purpose of a paranormal investigation would be, I assume, ghosts. The background to the paranormal activity in the place is in the past groups have seen some doors & chairs moving by themselves, voices have been recorded on audio devices and there has been knocks and bangs in the castle in the past.

Well not to sound glib but the cause for the purpose of a paranormal investigation would be, I assume, ghosts. The background to the paranormal activity in the place is in the past groups have seen some doors & chairs moving by themselves, voices have been recorded on audio devices and there has been knocks and bangs in the castle in the past.

Yes but who is it meant to be ghosts of? What reason would this ghost have to haunt the place? I'm assuming if groups go there then there has to be background that they have dug up, or the reason the very first investigation there took place.

Yes but who is it meant to be ghosts of? What reason would this ghost have to haunt the place? I'm assuming if groups go there then there has to be background that they have dug up, or the reason the very first investigation there took place.

How can you tell who the ghost is of? There isnt much history on the location as it was a ruin for many years. Other than the standard history there is little more to add. The reason the first investigations took place was because chairs and doors moved.

Simply put many of these locations dont have provable detailed backgrounds.

How can you tell who the ghost is of? There isnt much history on the location as it was a ruin for many years. Other than the standard history there is little more to add. The reason the first investigations took place was because chairs and doors moved.

Simply put many of these locations dont have provable detailed backgrounds.

Well all of the world's most documented and interesting haunting spots have a lore behind them and it is usually identifable at least what the ghost is of (i.e. old man, little girl, etc.) and why they are there. Seems to me a location whose background is based solely on paranormal groups isn't that interesting or much of a spot.

The likes of Leap or Shanagolden that have a background to it is the type of thing I am taking about. People started going there because of activity plus a lore that it was based on. I mean, if something weird happens a lot then great, but seems a bit odd to 'investigate' by looking for bumps and noises and not actually finding out what they are and the reason behind it all.

Of couse different strokes, to each their own and all that, but to me an investigation should have some investigating and a reason to do it.

• Advertisement

Of couse different strokes, to each their own and all that, but to me an investigation should have some investigating and a reason to do it.

Okay well firstly Leap is a scam and its stories are faked in my opinion.There are no crazy murder stories of Ross Castle but visitors and guests reported strange paranormal phenomenon. Then groups went and groups get strange paranormal phenomenon. People go to investigate the phenomenon not the crazy stories of a brother who killed his uncle in revenge for killing his father and marrying his mother kind of thing.

Ross has a background of a death in the lake but because it is not verifiable Im not going to throw it up here.

Put thanks for derailing the thread, much appreciated!

In my opinion, Leap isn't a scam, I have seen spirits there myself with my own eyes, but they can be discussed on a different thread. This is not the place.

We have a research manager who looks into every bit of history he can find. So we do not go in blind as a team, I choose not to know.

Okay well firstly Leap is a scam and its stories are faked in my opinion.There are no crazy murder stories of Ross Castle but visitors and guests reported strange paranormal phenomenon. Then groups went and groups get strange paranormal phenomenon. People go to investigate the phenomenon not the crazy stories of a brother who killed his uncle in revenge for killing his father and marrying his mother kind of thing.

Ross has a background of a death in the lake but because it is not verifiable Im not going to throw it up here.

Put thanks for derailing the thread, much appreciated!

Correction, the modern day stories of Leap that people post up these days are a sham, but the stories about the bodies being cast inside the walls were known even when my Grandparents were young, and likely earlier. Just because people fill a place with a load of cock and bull doesn't mean all of it is cock and bull.

I apologize for derailing the thread but I thought there might actually have been something to be learned. Besides, it's not like anyone else is using it.
    Ruth KPS wrote: »
    In my opinion, Leap isn't a scam, I have seen spirits there myself with my own eyes, but they can be discussed on a different thread. This is not the place.

We have a research manager who looks into every bit of history he can find. So we do not go in blind as a team, I choose not to know.

That would explain it; makes sense. Splitting up the workload into different specialities seems like a good method.

Not to blow my own horn but I am an archaeologist :p

Anyway listen, so far its me, Ruth and Urizen. If there isnt a serious take up on this by the end of the month Im going to cancel it.

Not to blow my own horn but I am an archaeologist :p

And? The bodies were said to have been removed from the walls decades ago so even if you had dug into them you aren't likely to find anything anyway.

And? The bodies were said to have been removed from the walls decades ago so even if you had dug into them you aren't likely to find anything anyway.

I was being facetious, nevermind. Anyway can you link me to a reputable academic source for the Leap bodies or is it just stories?

I was being facetious, nevermind. Anyway can you link me to a reputable academic source for the Leap bodies or is it just stories?

You do realise that academics generally don't touch the paranormal with a ten foot pole right? And reputable is a matter of perspective; many 'reputable' sources in history have been known to lie for personal gain. Note furthermore that I am not shoving the Leap thing down your throat or claiming it as fact; I just disagree with you.

Best thing I've seen was a record of the report that the construction team who dug them out filed. I mean fair enough if they claimed to see the devil or something and you shoot it down, but you can't really lie about human bodies which were excavated from a building, i.e. a council job. So unless you want to cry conspiracy...

Regardless, we are on a paranormal forum, a topic whose foundation is stories. Besides, why are you adamant on stories of Leap being bogus just because they are stories, but yet accept the same thing for other locations that you do believe in? Not very rational for a person who is asking for rational sources :)

Anyway, I digress. Don't want to derail your thread any further. I do apologise.

Where do you make out he is accepting of other stories? And why would any paranormal team need or want to know what others have reported or anecdotal stories about any venue? All they need to know is that weird stuff could happen. Their job is to record any such events or evidence, and only put together theories on the cause after the fact. To do so beforehand would be to go with a preconception and bias. Completely the wrong attitude to have, I would think.

riamfada, sorry for further derailment. :) You should pm those who clicked your poll, maybe they missed this.

• Advertisement

Regardless, we are on a paranormal forum, a topic whose foundation is stories. Besides, why are you adamant on stories of Leap being bogus just because they are stories, but yet accept the same thing for other locations that you do believe in? Not very rational for a person who is asking for rational sources :)

Yeah I was kind of looking for an academic report on the bodies from Leap or any offical document about them. Nothing paranormal about that.

You also may have missed this but I am a complete skeptic but I enjoy a good paranormal investigation and I also said I dont believe stories from any location without valid historical proof and used Leap as an example not as an exception to the exception to my rule.

Advertisement