Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonsilla

Options
  • 13-01-2011 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

Thinking of moving to clonsilla, whats the area like in general? are there any supermarkets nearby or would i have to head down to blanch to do shopping?
    Are there many knackers around the area? And whats the public transport like? would i have to walk down to naven road to get a bus?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Its a big area, where abouts are you thinking , some areas are very good for public transport as its right beside the trains or buses, other areas not so much. You can shop in superquin which is in blanch village or tesco in roselawn. There is a Dunnes in Ogar which is near Clonsilla, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Thanks for the reply, at the moment it looks like maybe either fortlawn avenue or woodvale garth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Laisurg wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, at the moment it looks like maybe either fortlawn avenue or woodvale garth.

Might be better if you find somewhere closer to Clonsilla Village. Then you would also have the option of getting the train aswell as the bus.

Unfortunately i'l be renting and i have a dog so that limits my choices quite a bit, where bouts is clonsilla village? looking around on google maps but its not listed. Also would you say the areas are rough at all? Heard there was a halting site somewhere around clonsilla.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Never have heard of a halting site anywhere in clonsilla ever.
    Woodvale would be a better place to rent as it is a private estate where as fortlawn is a concil estate with some houses being privately owned.

Both are on the 39 bus route into town and with in walking distance of the shopping centre.
    The 39/a bus can take from 40 mins to an hour to get into the city centre.

Woodvale is a 15/20 mins walk from the clonsilla train station which can have you in town in 20 mins and it back on to Hartstown park which is good for dog walking.

Consilla Village is really just a strip of shops at the junction of the clonsilla road and shelerin road.

I suggest you use google map street view to have a look at both estates to get an idea of what they are like.

• Advertisement

Thank you very much for the info Thaedydal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Edit: I stand corrected, fortlawn avenue is down as Clonsila. But its like 5 minutes in a car from Clonsila village/the main part of Clonsila.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Fortlawn avenue has its moments but its ok. Its close to the mountview shops and a short walk to Lidls in Blakestown and the Blanch center. Its also close to Blanchardstown road south where you can get the bus into town without having to go around the hartstown loop and the shopping centre. Its close enough to Supervalue in Hartstown but Woodvale Garth would be closer. clonsilla Village is close enough to walk from both areas and handy enough to get a bus up to the train station if needed. Dont dismiss Fortlawn just because its a council estate as you can get the same type of people in all areas including woodvale which is just next door so to speak.

Fortlawn isn't Clonsilla but parts of Whitestown is, the land parcels are werid that way and so the houses have clonsilla ond the deeds.

jeffk wrote: »
    I know its not your fault, but I wouldnt say fortlawn avenue was in Clonsila. Thats a case of postcode snobbery, put a high end area on your postcode and the house value goes up.

Sorry if its off topic.

Mountview is actually in the Barony of Castleknock:) And in the Castleknock election ward ;). Fortlawn is officially in Clonsilla but Blanch or Clonsilla is all the same to me. Roselawn is bang in the middle of Blanch but they claim to be in Castleknock so its Castlenock for Mountview from now on ;)

• Advertisement

I thought it wasn't and then my older brother says it was, to me Clonsila is all around the village and within that area.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Fortlawn isn't Clonsilla but parts of Whitestown is, the land parcels are werid that way and so the houses have clonsilla ond the deeds.

Whitestown is Mulhuddart. Fortlawn is Clonsilla, Roselawn is Blanch.

Mountview is actually in the Barony of Castleknock:) And in the Castleknock election ward ;). Fortlawn is officially in Clonsilla but Blanch or Clonsilla is all the same to me. Roselawn is bang in the middle of Blanch but they claim to be in Castleknock so its Castlenock for Mountview from now on ;)

We are the same down here, we can use Corduff or leave it out and just use Blanchardstown.

Fortlawn avenue has its moments but its ok. Its close to the mountview shops and a short walk to Lidls in Blakestown and the Blanch center. Its also close to Blanchardstown road south where you can get the bus into town without having to go around the hartstown loop and the shopping centre. Its close enough to Supervalue in Hartstown but Woodvale Garth would be closer. clonsilla Village is close enough to walk from both areas and handy enough to get a bus up to the train station if needed. Dont dismiss Fortlawn just because its a council estate as you can get the same type of people in all areas including woodvale which is just next door so to speak.

When you say it has its moments what do you mean? Just young kids acting the bollocks or worse?

Clonsilla is easier to write on forms etc but id say Blanch to a taxi driver if coming home ;)

Fortlawn Avenue and Woodvale Garth are both in the parish of Mountview.

The same as you would get across most estates in Dublin.

I have a friend who lives there and she never had much trouble. I was up there a few nights till the wee hours and didnt see much trouble. I just remember lads used to sit on a green with a fire and some tinnies, but that green is now made into more houses.

Laisurg wrote: »
    When you say it has its moments what do you mean? Just young kids acting the bollocks or worse?

Its the same as all areas with Woodvale being no different. I know the avenue and there are some good decent people there with a decent community spirit. Choose the one that will cost you less as there is not much diffrence in the two of them. Its also close to the friendliest newsagents in Dublin ;)

woodvale would be better than fortlawn, I would try nearer Clonsilla village or nearer coolmine to be honest, you could rent there as well.

Why? Is that just snobbery ?

Why? Is that just snobbery ?

Well he asked about public transport so I think nearer the train is better. sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

OK folks, you're running off topic here so lets knock that discussion on the head please.

Well he asked about public transport so I think nearer the train is better. sorry.

The Op asked about 2 locations which are close to each other so moving closer to a train station wasnt an option. Both locations are handy enough to get a bus to anywhere they want and clonsilla train station is within walking distance if you dont mind the walk .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Never have heard of a halting site anywhere in clonsilla ever.

The halting site is on Porterstown Road and has been for as long as I can remember (I've lived in Clonsilla since 1983). As far as I am aware the residents cause no trouble at all (unlike some of the settled people).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Alright, final warning here folks. I've had to remove some posts that were likely to cause an off-topic row. Sensible answers to the OPs questions or the thread will be locked.
    Thanks.

I wouldn't live in Fortlawn, I know there are good people living there and I don't mean to cast aspersions on any of them but, two of my family members were randomly attacked and assaulted walking through there in the evening over the last 6 years and in one case needed stitches to their head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

I wouldn't live in Fortlawn, I know there are good people living there and I don't mean to cast aspersions on any of them but, two of my family members were randomly attacked and assaulted walking through there in the evening over the last 6 years and in one case needed stitches to their head.

I wouldn't walk through Fortlawn due to concerns over my safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

They are both fairly rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Swampy wrote: »

Woodvale Garth is not rough at all. I don't know which part is Fortlawn Ave so can't comment.

I wouldn't walk through Fortlawn due to concerns over my safety.

Trust me, its as safe as anywhere else in Dublin at night time.

• Advertisement

Swampy wrote: »

I cant speak for Woodvale but Fortlawn has quietened down a hell of a lot in recent years. There is good and bad in all areas including the likes of castlenock.

Advertisement