Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonsilla

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Angelmangle

If you drive you are spoilt for choice for shops, pubs, restaurants etc in Clonsilla. We are about 15 walking distance from both Clonsilla Railway Station and Coolmine Station, both take about 25/30 mins or thereabouts to get you into town. The 37 bus stops outside our door on the Diswellstown Road. There is the Millenium Park for dog walking or you could drive to the Phoenix Park which is a great resource and really nice to go walking in.

Where do I start with the shops! Roselawn is nearby with Tescos open 24/7. There is a smaller set of shops at the shopping centre in Laurel Lodge, Sweeneys is a really good butchers and there is a very good fruit and veg shop there too. There is Superquinn in Blanch village and of course Dunnes etc in Blanch Shopping Centre. So you are spoilt for choice in that respect.

The Clonsilla Inn is our local and grand for watching a match or for a quiet drink out. There are usually bands playing in the big back Lounge area on Friday/Saturday nights or you could stay in the front lounge/bar area if you fancied a quiet pint. There is the Carpenter as well as the Bell, Bradys - all good pubs. For restaurants Ravellos is a really nice Italian, we've always had really nice meals there and they are so reasonable. Shimla is the local Indian and it is brilliant, the food there is the best in my opinion. In blach village check out the Thai Garden, top notch thai food and again very reasonable.

I'd definitely would recommend the area, it has great facilites is close to various doctors surgeries, library, shops, restaurants, pubs, parks, bus routes/trains stations and various gyms so all in all a good place to live :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Walk around the area, go into the nearest pubs and shops day and night time, and you'll be able to make your own choice.

Mountview is actually in the Barony of Castleknock:) And in the Castleknock election ward ;). Fortlawn is officially in Clonsilla but Blanch or Clonsilla is all the same to me. Roselawn is bang in the middle of Blanch but they claim to be in Castleknock so its Castlenock for Mountview from now on ;)

The old boundaries are pretty useless for deciding where to live. Whats important is whats there now. Thats pretty obvious if you walk and drive around an area. When most people use these names they are talking about what close to the various villages. But the area names are all a mess as the developers and others have played with the names so they make little sense. More useful is to talk about specific estates, or developments, or a specific road.

Only solution is to check out an area yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Walking from Clonsilla to the Navan Road?? That would take ages!

Fortlawn and Woodvale ain't really in Clonsilla by the way. Do they have many knackers there? Eh well, the both have quite the reputation, even though in recent years, it has quietened down a lot.

Why not go for somewhere near Clonsilla Village or Coolmine or Castleknock or Carpenterstown? Much better services and transport links (bus and rail), areas are more relaxed and a lot more diversity in houses and apartments. You can rent amazing places now in Dublin 15 for near the same price as crappy old houses in the worst areas.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If you drive you are spoilt for choice for...pubs...in Clonsilla.

Actually I'd strongly disagree with this. Since I moved here over 6 years ago my only really complaint about the area is the lack of a single decent pub. All those mentioned are generic, soulless, barn-like suburban pubs completely devoid of character or atmosphere. If you like a pint in decent surroundings and don't want to go into town, I'm afraid you'll have to travel to somewhere like The Hole in the Wall or The Anglers Rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Walking from Clonsilla to the Navan Road?? That would take ages!

Fortlawn and Woodvale ain't really in Clonsilla by the way. Do they have many knackers there? Eh well, the both have quite the reputation, even though in recent years, it has quietened down a lot.

Why not go for somewhere near Clonsilla Village or Coolmine or Castleknock or Carpenterstown? Much better services and transport links (bus and rail), areas are more relaxed and a lot more diversity in houses and apartments. You can rent amazing places now in Dublin 15 for near the same price as crappy old houses in the worst areas.

Yes they are, Clonsilla isnt just the road from the pub to the train station.
    I cant see why people keep suggesting the OP tries other areas as he/she only asked about Woodvale or Fortlawn :)

Zaph wrote: »
    Actually I'd strongly disagree with this. Since I moved here over 6 years ago my only really complaint about the area is the lack of a single decent pub. All those mentioned are generic, soulless, barn-like suburban pubs completely devoid of character or atmosphere. If you like a pint in decent surroundings and don't want to go into town, I'm afraid you'll have to travel to somewhere like The Hole in the Wall or The Anglers Rest.

The closest pub to where the OP was asking about is Sammons. Great food and great entertainment . :)

I have to disagree with you on this. I moved into the area from Skerries and Nealons used to be my old local and in my opinion you don't get much better than that for a local pub. However, the Clonsilla Inn has actually grown on me in the last two years and we had a fantastic night out there on New Years Eve. I like that it has different sections and is quite cosy by the fire in the lounge. The Bell is great for music on a Saturday night. It just depends on the mood and what you want on the night. The Anglers Rest is really nice and great for food, but the downside is having to drive to it which means one of us can't drink.

However you are right in that there are no small "cosy" pubs in the area (that I know about).

I have to disagree with you on this. I moved into the area from Skerries and Nealons used to be my old local and in my opinion you don't get much better than that for a local pub. However, the Clonsilla Inn has actually grown on me in the last two years and we had a fantastic night out there on New Years Eve. I like that it has different sections and is quite cosy by the fire in the lounge. The Bell is great for music on a Saturday night. It just depends on the mood and what you want on the night. The Anglers Rest is really nice and great for food, but the downside is having to drive to it which means one of us can't drink.

However you are right in that there are no small "cosy" pubs in the area (that I know about).

If you are including more of Dublin 15, the Twelfth Loch is a great cosy pub, and the Carpenter is also pretty good. Twelfth Loch also does great food and a decent selection of beers. I have also never seen bouncers/security in either which is great sign for a bar.

I would not really go for the Bell or Clonsilla Inn, they both look like barns, both have bouncers, provide a very limited selection of beer, food ain't great and atmosphere can be a bit dodgy sometimes. They are okay for a drink, but never a local. They don't seem to invest in their pubs compared to places like Twelfth Loch or Carpenter.

If you are including more of Dublin 15, the Twelfth Loch is a great cosy pub, and the Carpenter is also pretty good. Twelfth Loch also does great food and a decent selection of beers. I have also never seen bouncers/security in either which is great sign for a bar.

I would not really go for the Bell or Clonsilla Inn, they both look like barns, both have bouncers, provide a very limited selection of beer, food ain't great and atmosphere can be a bit dodgy sometimes. They are okay for a drink, but never a local. They don't seem to invest in their pubs compared to places like Twelfth Loch or Carpenter.

I must try the Twelfth Lock, have never been there for drinks in the evening, just for lunch years ago, and it sounds good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the best pub reachable in the area would be the strawberry hall - they offer a minibus service, and will collect you at your house (for free) if you ring them. not sure how many nights of the week this service is available, but i'm pretty sure it's available on friday and saturday nights. it's small and cosy compared to most other pubs mentioned.

Barns with bouncers. Not feeling the love for those myself. Even the original Clonsilla Inn before the extension wasn't much of a pub either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

BostonB wrote: »
    Barns with bouncers. Not feeling the love for those myself. Even the original Clonsilla Inn before the extension wasn't much of a pub either.

The old blanchardstown House had it moments

Yes they are, Clonsilla isnt just the road from the pub to the train station.
    I cant see why people keep suggesting the OP tries other areas as he/she only asked about Woodvale or Fortlawn :)

It should be...:P

We suggest other areas because that's what good neighbours do!

the best pub reachable in the area would be the strawberry hall - they offer a minibus service, and will collect you at your house (for free) if you ring them. not sure how many nights of the week this service is available, but i'm pretty sure it's available on friday and saturday nights. it's small and cosy compared to most other pubs mentioned.

Forgot to mention there. Nice spot and it's a great service they offer.

I was only in there once and i loved it. Nice old cosy pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

They run on Thursday nights too, I only know this second hand though, I wasn't invited :(

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭wildlifeman

lets keep this on topic folks, so fortlawn is a kip!

wildlifeman, any more of that sort of rubbish and you'll find yourself infracted or banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Tommy Target

Looking at renting around the general area...Keep going folks:) learning a lot...worked in roselawn years ago So i have some knowledge of area

• Advertisement

Looking at renting around the general area...Keep going folks:) learning a lot...worked in roselawn years ago So i have some knowledge of area

Roselawn is a good area, probably a bit older since you have been there last, not as many kids around so pretty relaxed. Only negative is that many of the houses for rent in this area have always been for rent, and boy do they look it when you are inside. But a good house and you will be very happy! The Roselawn Shopping centre is also getting better with time. Unfortunely, the Roselawn Inn probably looks the exact same way as it did 5, 10, 15 years ago. Nearly always empty, terrible inside, terrible atmosphere, don't even think they have any big tvs for sport anymore, overall, dismal! But Twelfth Loch and Carpenter are near enough so no biggy.

There are very nice new areas in Carpenterstown and Castleknock worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Tommy Target

Thanks for that.....Actually 15 years since i worked up there:)...Looking around clonsilla tonight an tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

the Coolmine Road is supposed to be the division between Blanch and Clonsilla
    So if you're at the junction of the Clonsilla Road and the Coolmine Road looking down the Coolmine Road towards the railway Blanch is on you left Clonsilla is on your right

So if you're at the junction of the Clonsilla Road and the Coolmine Road looking down the Coolmine Road towards the railway Blanch is on you left Clonsilla is on your right

Based on what?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

:confused:

So Roselawn isnt Castlekock then? Nice one ;)

Eh, I think Rory is think of parishes. So the parish of Blanch and the parish of Clonsilla. But a lot of what he has lumped into Blanchardstown is Castleknock, or to be correct, the barony of Castleknock.

So Roselawn isnt Castlekock then? Nice one ;)

Its sweeping comments like that don't help. Do you mean the barony, the parish, the village, what? They are not all the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

BostonB wrote: »
    Based on what?

2 things
    Lived in Coolmine for 30 years and the fact that I said "supposed"
    As opposed it really is honest to god swear on the bible and my childs life.
    If it is great for me if not well I won't lose any sleep.
    It's not like I said it was the division between north and south Dakota

• Advertisement

... I said "supposed"...

LOL. Fair nuff. But what it was back then and what it is now is very different

D.15 didn't exist back then. It was just the original villages.

Advertisement