Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fingal Tri's Duathlon Series, open for entry.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭tinydave

Hi All,

Remember to get your one day licence if you need one by Thursday 17.02.2011 :D

Cheers
    Tinydave:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Whats the crack if I haven't received my TI licence yet? I applied last week but probably won't have it in time. Will a copy of the email do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I might give this a go as the two dates do not clash with other races i have on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

nomadic wrote: »
    Whats the crack if I haven't received my TI licence yet? I applied last week but probably won't have it in time. Will a copy of the email do?
    same here. applied 10 working days ago and no sign of it!

Hey lads,

Any feedback on yesterdays race, good / bad points ? all welcome.
    we had 117 signed up and 96 raced and 2 DNF's.great day had by all and the weather helped alot

Dave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Ah_go_on

Really enjoyed yesterday, lots of marshals and very well organised, I'll be back for the second one. I now know why that road is called heartbreak hill, nearly killed me on the 2nd run. Very friendly atmosphere aswell, well done. Any sign of results yet???

http://chipit.ie/admin/admin/editor.php?action=read&id=192

It's good to hear good feed back about the race esp as it was our 1st race.
    Alot of talk about the hill, all good and people loving the challenge. See u in march so :)

Great race with loads of marshalls and the weather was perfect. Maybe another bike marshall for the next one.;)

That's gonna be looked at alright, their was a train of about 6-7 going passed us at transition, no even trying to hide it! :rolleyes:

tinydave wrote: »
    That's gonna be looked at alright, their was a train of about 6-7 going passed us at transition, no even trying to hide it! :rolleyes:
    You the bald dude?

• Advertisement

There was bald welsh dude in transition and bald other guy floating around (that was me):D

Really enjoyed my first event! I never expected the hill to be so steep! Im looking forward to next month, hopefully I can run all the way up the hill next time. Glad the one day licenses were made available on the day as I hadnt got my TI license in time.
    That main road was the only bad point, really really bad surface for the bike.

tinydave wrote: »
    There was bald welsh dude in transition and bald other guy floating around (that was me):D
    Ahh right, I was the chap who was following the train that gave you's a shout. Cheers for the offer of a doughnut. I'm sorry now I didn't take it.

Ahh right, I was the chap who was following the train that gave you's a shout. Cheers for the offer of a doughnut. I'm sorry now I didn't take it.
    whats a train?:confused:

adamski8 wrote: »
    whats a train?:confused:
    Big line of bikes a little too close together.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

For the sole reason that draftees got done unlike the other duathlons I will be back. blatant drafting and pathetic excuses afterwards "I couldn't have been drafting I was the fastest on the bike" four people said that. One if the top three claimed "but you just couldn't drop back when passed". No actually you could, you just didn't. Fantastic to see the rule enforced. Just wish more races did. As more and more clubs teach members how to draft in races it's great to see an organiser running a more fair race.

(a good race for lots of other reasons too really enjoyed it. Would be perfect if the first run was longer)

It was a lovely doughnut too.. :)
    I get to race in the march one so it means I can have 2 maybe 3 more doughnuts lol

Yea I'd agree with that. Good to see penalties, it was a joke. Just disapointed I got roped in with the rest. What is the usual procedure with draft busting. Can it not be sorted out on the road? The bike passed a load of times but didn't say a word to anyone.

tunney wrote: »

(a good race for lots of other reasons too really enjoyed it. Would be perfect if the first run was longer)
    You could go up the Hill further Next time :):p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

On the drafting issue... is 2mins not the standard penalty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

I thought it was marshalled very well, nice to have the Guards at the big junctions and with them stopping the traffic it almost felt like you were on closed roads, the minor roads were so quiet.

The drafting was quite bad in places though, I could see two guys taking turns for about 7-8 km.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭DaveR1

For the sole reason that draftees got done unlike the other duathlons I will be back. blatant drafting

Fantastic to see the rule enforced.

@Tunney.... Do you not think the fact that all 7 who were busted had a bike split exactly 1minute faster than the next best bike split (you), meant that by giving them the 1minute penalty just let them get away with it? It didn't change the order of the top 5?
    However a correct 2min penalty or stopping them on the road as the rules imply when its constant, or disqualification, would all have moved you up to 1st?

Okay - I had assumed it was a 2 minute penalty. 1 minute is a joke and does not act as a deterent to drafting. In fact, knowing its only a minute the next time I ...............

Did I deserve to win - no.
    However did some weaker bikers outsplit me - yes.
    Is one minute fair no. Is 2, barely. 5-10 minutes pentlaty and that acts as a deterent.
    Actually now that i think about it 1 minute, thats like saying "come race, come draft, its all good"
    In fact I'm rather annoyed. I know some of the top five are much weaker than
    Me on the bike but rode faster.

Okay - I had assumed it was a 2 minute penalty. 1 minute is a joke and does not act as a deterent to drafting. In fact, knowing its only a minute the next time I ...............

Did I deserve to win - no.
    However did some weaker bikers outsplit me - yes.
    Is one minute fair no. Is 2, barely. 5-10 minutes pentlaty and that acts as a deterent.
    Actually now that i think about it 1 minute, thats like saying "come race, come draft, its all good"
    In fact I'm rather annoyed. I know some of the top five are much weaker than
    Me on the bike but rode faster.

I think the penalties given were convenient in that they showed that they acted on the drafting but it didn't really penalise anyone ie. avoiding any real controversy.

I'd be pissed off if it was anything more than a training race for me. Just for the record,I feel I would have gone quicker on the bike but there was no way past the group. I asked for the bike marshall to be sent up to the front as I passed transition after the first lap(tinydave can back me up on that one).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭Ceepo

mloc123 wrote: »
    On the drafting issue... is 2mins not the standard penalty?

My understanding is that for Sprint distance, penalty is 1 min, Oly is 2 mins and longer distances 5 mins,
    1 minute is the correct penalty. not everyone will agree if its fair but them's the rules.

But as far as i know the draft marshal can stop (when safe) and give the time penalty and then the draftee can carry on about there race, and in this case 6 people as the first in line is deemed not to drafting could have been stopped.

Everyone knows that it happens and its good to see that something is been done about it

I'm guessing everyone will be faster next race?! what times generally would people expect the times to go by? Would it be ambitious of me to aim for 10mins off my time of 1:16?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Fergus McGrath

Ceepo wrote: »
    My understanding is that for Sprint distance, penalty is 1 min, Oly is 2 mins and longer distances 5 mins,
    1 minute is the correct penalty. not everyone will agree if its fair but them's the rules.

But as far as i know the draft marshal can stop (when safe) and give the time penalty and then the draftee can carry on about there race, and in this case 6 people as the first in line is deemed not to drafting could have been stopped.

Everyone knows that it happens and its good to see that something is been done about it
    Your right about the penalties there id say it would be more of a penalty to stop them on the course as it would work out as a more than 1 min penalty ! Ideally if we had a few motorbike marshals this would be the way to do it but unfortunately not able to be done for this race at east for the 1st one !
    This is only our 1st race so we will definitely be aiming to improve as we go along
    Roll on March 19th:pac:
    And thanks for the feedback guys

I thought it was a well marshalled race and I was impressed at the number of volunteers.

If I was to do the next race I would do a few things differently. I would be lighter, I would wear a heavier runner. I would have practised short course transitions and stay on course on the bike. more importantly I'd sit off the back on the bike (legally or illegally - probably illegally) and wait for T2 and then run with fresh legs. One minute for drafting - cheers, I'll take that.

On a separate note is there a contact email address for the race organiser? Unrelated to anything discussed on this thread.

To clarify - I really enjoyed this race and thought the organisers, the club and the marshals did themselves proud. A challenging course with a nice post race spread.

• Advertisement

I think the penalties given were convenient in that they showed that they acted on the drafting but it didn't really penalise anyone ie. avoiding any real controversy.

I'd be pissed off if it was anything more than a training race for me. Just for the record,I feel I would have gone quicker on the bike but there was no way past the group. I asked for the bike marshall to be sent up to the front as I passed transition after the first lap(tinydave can back me up on that one).

Yep you gave us a shout as you went passed and you were well out of the drafting box when i seen you :)

Advertisement