Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replaced broken dvd drive... still not loading games :(

• 13-01-2011 10:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Hio,

I have replaced a dvd drive in an original xbox.

Symptoms: Original drive would not load games properly. It would detect the game, attempt to load, then fail.

Solution: I bought this drive as a replacement (Samsung TS-H943 DVD-ROM Drive). I fitted it, switched on the xbox. I inserted a game but the menu showed 'Play DVD'. So when you launch the game you get 'Please insert this disc into an xbox'.

I tried another game, first time I got the Xbox logo, then stuck on this. Second time got 'Insert this disc into an Xbox'.
    It seems that the Xbox thinks its a dvd player only.

So, should I try upgrading the firmware for the brand new dvd drive or would I be wasting my time? If so, which software should I use.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

You need the PCB (printed circuit board) from your original drive as it contains your key unique to that Xbox 360 put that into your new drive, or dump the firmware of the original and flash that onto the new

Edit: you can't simply swap drives you need to either take the circuit board off the old one & swap it into the new one

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭steo2k9

Either swap the PCB if the drive is the same like said above or you'll have to read the firmware from the old one to get the key and flash it to the new one. The PCB swap is easier for beginners.

Advertisement