Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help!!Cost of 2,400sq ft dormer direct vs contractor

Options
  • 13-01-2011 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Can anyone tell me if there a big difference between in going direct labour or contractor? Have planning permission for a dormer house 2,400sq ft in Co.Limerick and looking into budgetting for it? i would like to get the house to a basic spec with plumbing and electricity included but would arrange for the floors kitchen etc to be done by friends or mine. just looking for a bit of help on where to start or how to go about getting quotes? Thanks in advance for your advice and help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭dare2dream

If you can share any info that would be great.
    D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Cookie1983

literally just starting out so hopefully someone in the construction field wil be able to share a bit of light on the whole situation!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

You're going to have to start with a spec of some sort, or no-one can price anything.

What is your goal ? The cheapest house you can build, or, the best house you can build ? Are you looking for an A-rated, or B-rated, or passive performance house ?

Maybe you have access to solid fuel (say, turf), and want to use that. Maybe you're near a gas line, and use that. Maybe you like oil. Are you having a range, or stove, or open fire ?

Pvc windows or ......other ? Double or triple glazed.......?

Start with the simple stuff.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

galwaytt wrote: »
    You're going to have to start with a spec of some sort, or no-one can price anything.

What is your goal ? The cheapest house you can build, or, the best house you can build ? Are you looking for an A-rated, or B-rated, or passive performance house ?

Maybe you have access to solid fuel (say, turf), and want to use that. Maybe you're near a gas line, and use that. Maybe you like oil. Are you having a range, or stove, or open fire ?

Pvc windows or ......other ? Double or triple glazed.......?

Start with the simple stuff.

+1, and the 2010 costs threads has a good bit of info in it..

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

very broad question! but to reply in simple terms (cos understand where you come from was here this time last year myself!). we in the west clare/lmk were told by our architech we're probably save about 10% going direct but a) no guarantee of that & b) would take lot longer. My bro went direct & it took them 3 years & he doesnt think he saved now he adds it all up. We went contractor started mar 1st last year & we 3-4 weeks away from moving in & we had (relatively) little heartache at all. Unless you in the trade & know your stuff I dont think you save going direct at the moment. it amazes me the people who have sat at desk all their lives suddenly think 'i can build a house' i know its been done & there's plenty of cowboys around too (or was!). but good builders are to be had now.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,533 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the very first point you need to realise is that you do not "save" money by going down the direct labour route.

You "EARN" this money.

The difference between direct labour (DL) and the contractor route (CR) is that in DL the client becomes the contractor, so you have to assume all the responsibilites of the contractor. Health and safety, insurance, building regulation compliance, and the general continuity of site management.

the one thing i experience repeatedly about DL houses is that you always hear the good news story and never the horror stories.... and theres plenty out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

sydthebeat wrote: »
    the very first point you need to realise is that you do not "save" money by going down the direct labour route. You "EARN" this money.

I nominate this for a sticky motto !! :D:D

And oh boy do you learn. BTDT, have the T-shirt. Never again. Nearly killed me. (literally, btw.......came off roof........ :eek: :eek: )

Amen, btw.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement