Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MHRV Balancing - is this installer correct?

• 13-01-2011 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

I self-installed my MHRV, but before we use it, I wanted to ensure the balancing was done by an installer, as I have heard on boards that that is important.

I called an installer up today, and he went through what they do, etc, and one thing surprised me -

I asked was balancing matching the intake and outtake flows of the unit so there is no net pressure in the house.
    He said that was not important the important thing, and instead the flow-rates to each room would be set based on size - e.g. 13/l/s from a kitchen, or wet room, etc.

While I know the system would have to be setup for each room, surely the overall flow in and out of the house would be important also?

He also said that the regs recommended 2 air-changes an hour.
    My own guess is that surely this is excessive (even if it is regs).
    We have been in the house for 3 months, and are relying on passive ventilation at the moment (HRV is off), so its just 2 open chimneys providing the whole house ventilation - and the house is not stuffy at all.

My concern with 2 air-changes per hour are the fact it seems wasteful
    1) the HRV unit will have to run at max, or close to it - 150 watts of power, 24/7!
    2) If the air is changed in the house every 2 hours (at a theoretical efficiency of 90%) this means effectively one full air-change per day approx, this means heating up 600m3 of air, which I guess is not that efficient?
    3) The above 90% doesn't account for others losses i.e. ducting in the attic, while insulated, will surely loose a significant amount of heat, as the air in it will be at 20 degrees, and the insulation on the pipes is at best an inch thick, so maybe that 90% could be 80, or 70 in reality...

Is it possible to simply run the unit at a lower speed, and if the house is not stuffy, then that speed is ok?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

You're right, 2 ACH is grossly excessive. A typical setting would be more like 0.3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

The system must be balanced

We await from TGDF
    Installation and Commissioning of Ventilation Systems for DwellingsAchieving Compliance with Part F

But this may assist

Advertisement