Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winforms executable application self-signed certificate for an organisation

Options
  • 13-01-2011 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have developed a simple winforms application using .net 3.5 and C# for an organisation. It accesses a SQL Server database and parses a bit of Xml.

When I started developing the database connectivity stuff I had to create a temporary/test key in the Project Properties signing page in VS 2008. This fixed the problem and I have been able to finish the application.

However, when I build or publish the application the resulting executable outputs a security error when connecting to Sql server. I believe this is because the application isn't signed.

Given that the application is for internal use, I not want to purchase a certificate from a CA. Can someone explain to me how to create a self signed certificate that we can install on the SQL server so that this application will work?

I created a cert using makecert.exe and it said it was successful but I cannot find the cert that was created.

I really would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks,

John

Advertisement