Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info on the 22-250 round compared to the .223

Options
  • 13-01-2011 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭

Lads, I have a .223 remington and an anschutz .22lr and I'm looking at getting a new calibre rifle mainly for hunting rabbits and foxes.
    I dont have the cash at the moment to get into deer hunting although I would eventually love to get into it but wont until I get some practical experience with an experienced stalker who is willing to bring me along and let me help them drag a deer home -any offers ????:D

In the meantime I'd like to get another hunting rifle as I have an AICS stock on my remy .223 and its a bit too heavy for some of the grounds I have permissions on and have heard lads talk about the 22-250 - do I need any special permissions to get this calibre ?
    What do you lad think of the 22-250? Are they easy to find ? And is the ammo easy to get also ? What price should I expect to pay for a 22-250 ?

Any info lad - as usual - much appreciated.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

Personally couldn't justify getting a 22-250 if I already owned a 223.
    Did you not hold onto the original stock? Surely swapping the stocks depending on where your going would be a much cheaper option?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

dos29 wrote: »
    Personally couldn't justify getting a 22-250 if I already owned a 223.
    Did you not hold onto the original stock? Surely swapping the stocks depending on where your going would be a much cheaper option?

I have the old stock alright, but not the two screws that hold it.
    Are they easy enough to come by ?
    I just hated the synthetic stock that the remy came with.
    Is there much of a difference between the .223 and .22-250.
    Ideally I'd like to leave the .223 in the AICS and have another rifle - normal stock for hunting aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Personally, If I wanted to change a rifle, I'd change the .223 into a .243.

Still be fantastic on bunnies and you could use it on deer.

The .22-250 can be hard to get factory ammo.

If your going to go Coillte let route you'll want a .243 over a .22-250

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

If you're hanging onto the .223 you'll find a .22-250 doesn't give you that much over it. It's faster and flatter, but louder, rougher on barrels and kicks harder. For what you're doing now, either a lighter, more manageable stock for the .223 or just carrying it as is sounds a better plan. Personally, I really like the .22-250, but there's no really good reason anyone with a good .223 should change for one. If you're stepping up to deer in the future, go further than the .22-250 and you'll have the extra margin as well.

Personally, If I wanted to change a rifle, I'd change the .223 into a .243.

Still be fantastic on bunnies and you could use it on deer.

The .22-250 can be hard to get factory ammo.

If your going to go Coillte let route you'll want a .243 over a .22-250

As I said earlier Tack - theres too many hoops I'm not willing to go through at the moment without proper deer stalking knowledge in an effort to get a deer hunting round (.243) as much as I'd love it !
    I'd just like to get experience on a new round I've never used before.:)

• Advertisement

vixdname wrote: »
    As I said earlier Tack - theres too many hoops I'm not willing to go through at the moment without proper deer stalking knowledge in an effort to get a deer hunting round (.243) as much as I'd love it !
    I'd just like to get experience on a new round I've never used before.:)

Firstly, ask FO can you get a .22-250 relatively easily.
    Patsat got one recently, in an AICS.
    Remington 700.

One of the most accurate 300yard rifles ever made was a .22-250 heavy barrel.
    I've not seen a bad one, and a serious fox round.

If you want to practice stalking, go goat shooting.
    Use the meat for dog food, but you'll get the hang of skinning on a goat as anatomy wise they are very similar.

Stalking season is 4 weeks left approx, however, I personally would only shoot antlerless deer these days as a doe in calf I think is not my cupaín Tae.

Shooting deer is not hard, just massively time consuming IMvHO

Firstly, ask FO can you get a .22-250 relatively easily.
    Patsat got one recently, in an AICS.
    Remington 700.

One of the most accurate 300yard rifles ever made was a .22-250 heavy barrel.
    I've not seen a bad one, and a serious fox round.

If you want to practice stalking, go goat shooting.
    Use the meat for dog food, but you'll get the hang of skinning on a goat as anatomy wise they are very similar.

Stalking season is 4 weeks left approx, however, I personally would only shoot antlerless deer these days as a doe in calf I think is not my cupaín Tae.

Shooting deer is not hard, just massively time consuming IMvHO

Where can I go goat shooting in the Waterford area do you know Tack ?
    Sorry for all the questions !!!!
    The 22-250 sounds like a nice round

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭The Big Fella

Would a .223 be suited to goat shooting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

You will find it just as hard to justify a .22-250 as you would a .243 as they are both considered a deer caliber here in Ireland.
    Trouble is you are dealing with a FO. That has no idea what different cal's are used for. All he knows is anything over a 22-250 is for deer full stop.

If you wanted to try something as powerful but not considered a deer cal. You could look for a .220 swift very similar to .22-250 some would say better.
    Having said that you will be spending a lot of money on a rifle that will be doing the same job as the .223 all be it with more power.

It's really not that hard to apply for a deer cal.
    A deer hunters license is free and only a matter of knocking on a few doors for permission and that's it.
    I would say it would be easier to license a deer cal then a second vermin cal as you would have more reason to justify looking for a larger cal and still hold your .223.
    It's all about justifying to the garda why you need each cal.
    I did it by saying my .22lr is for rabbits and target.
    My .223 ls for vermin and target practice
    And my .308 is for deer and target.
    All legit and straight forward

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Xplor.er

am sure it would. see if your gun likes the 75grain bullets, there would be no problem with these.

• Advertisement

I shot goats many years ago with a swift.
    Head shots on young billies.

I reckon a .223 would drop a goat @100-200 yards with a well aimed shot.
    I shot several goats with a 6.5 which had power to spare

Very little Energy difference @100 yards between .223 53 grain Superperformance and a 50grain Superperformance .22-250.

Your FO will let you know.

But as Paulo says, Deer permits are Free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Where can I go goat shooting in the Waterford area do you know Tack ?
    Sorry for all the questions !!!!
    The 22-250 sounds like a nice round

there are some goats not to far from waterford near me. the .22-250 is a lovely round but you are not gaining much over a .223 for all the effort

yes a .223 is well able for a goat but as with every round shot placement is crucial

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Lads, I have a .223 remington and an anschutz .22lr and I'm looking at getting a new calibre rifle mainly for hunting rabbits and foxes.
    I dont have the cash at the moment to get into deer hunting although I would eventually love to get into it but wont until I get some practical experience with an experienced stalker who is willing to bring me along and let me help them drag a deer home -any offers ????:D

In the meantime I'd like to get another hunting rifle as I have an AICS stock on my remy .223 and its a bit too heavy for some of the grounds I have permissions on and have heard lads talk about the 22-250 - do I need any special permissions to get this calibre ?
    What do you lad think of the 22-250? Are they easy to find ? And is the ammo easy to get also ? What price should I expect to pay for a 22-250 ?

As tack said I recently got a 22-250 and fitted it to an aics. It would be worth while to chat to person who would issue the license as he/she may require a deer permit for that calibre. I got it easily although the guards did view the calibre as a deer rifle but I already had a permit so let me have it.

Is the 22-250 that better than a .223? I would say it's the same situation as the .204... While the 22-250 does offer more, for me it wouldn't offer me enough to change from a .223 that I am happy with and is shooting well.

If your lookin for a different experience how about a rebarrel on your .223..either to .223 again or a similar calibre?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Hi Vixdname, I did something similar to what you are planning. Traded in my old .22lr for a .22-250. I bought one because my FO regarded all .22's as the same (:eek:) and it meant I could get a CF rifle without a deer license but have something for deer if and when I did get the license. Now that I have a license and some experience my advice would be go up to at least .243 if you are going to be taking more than 1 or 2 head a year and especially if you are hunting big Sika stags. The .22-250 is a super round, but falls between 2 stools (IMHO). Overpowered for foxes, underpowered for deer. I'll keep my .22-250 for foxes and the occasional deer, but if I was doing it all again I'd get the license first (it costs nothing) and buy something a bit bigger. As you already have a .223, you're set for foxes, goats etc. Save the cash for a 'proper' deer rifle, the .22-250 won't do much your .223 isn't already doing.

On ammo availability, 55gr .22-250 is readily available from a lot of sources, but the 60gr required by NPWS for deer is a pain in the ar$e to source and a lot of rifles don't like it. I had to bed my action to get acceptable groups, and even then I'm not particulaly confident with it.

Advertisement