Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gruel

Options
  • 14-01-2011 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭

Has it closed down loved there half & half shame if it true

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

is that the place on lord edward street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

It's on Dame Street.

Has it closed down?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Shutters down since Friday

Mermaid blinds were closed as well are they connected

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

They're connected alright. Would be surprised if true - sad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

yes read somewhere they went out of business.

Lovely food very late convert but everytime i was there it was packed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Hootanany wrote: »
    Mermaid blinds were closed as well are they connected

A friend of mine was a chef there,got laid off just before christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Ah ****e!

Giblet wrote: »
    Ah ****e!

Baking Powder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

herya wrote: »
    yes read somewhere they went out of business.
    Hootanany wrote: »
    Lovely food very late convert but everytime i was there it was packed
    more evidence of greedy ****ing landlords? or just bad business people? Or tough market?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

http://www.irishtimes.com/letters/

See the letter 'closure of restaurants'

cailinoBAC wrote: »

I ****ing hate those greedy bastards.

so that it may be forever immortalised and not hidden in the depths of news archives:
    Madam, – It is with great sadness that we announce the closure of the Mermaid Café and Gruel on Dame Street, Dublin.
    For two years we have weathered the economic storm which has seen a fall-off in trade of over 30 per cent, but have now been forced to lock our doors primarily by the intransigence of landords who still demand boom-time rents with their upward-only review mechanisms still in place.
    As we depart, we can only wonder at the shortsightedness of this behaviour that has robbed Dublin of a viable business operating what we believe to have been two well-loved eateries, placed 30 people out of work and left many suppliers high and dry as we enter a new year. To these latter, our strongest feeling of regret.
    We hope over the past 16 years that we have contributed something to the cultural life of the capital and we would like especially to thank all our loyal patrons over the years, many Irish Times readers among them, who may miss us as we do them, for their support. Goodbye and good luck. – Yours, etc,
    MARK HARRELL
    BENEDICT GORMAN,
    Dame Street,
    Dublin 2.
    Our company moved office about 3 months ago. After we'd made all the arrangements, but just before we'd signed, the bastard LL tried to up the rent! :mad: It's no wonder so many places are going out of business. And neither politicians or their darlings of the media will pick up on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

cailinoBAC wrote: »

There's also an article in the business section

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2011/0114/1224287488277.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Taken from the article in the Business section
    The combined rent on the two restaurants at 68 and 69 Dame Street was €190,000. When Mr Harrell and Mr Gorman opened the Mermaid, at number 69, in 1996, the rent was £15,000.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I know the £15,000 initially was only for number 69 but that's an insane rise in costs to €190,000.

The landlord should really be named and shamed here and questioned as to how they believe that €190,000 is a justifiable level of rent in the current environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Maybe the buildings have changed hands since 1996 and are under a large mortgage now?

Obviously, I agree that the rents are ridiculous though.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

Such a pity - i loved Gruel although I'd never been to The Mermaid. It seems that a lot of retailers, landlords and suppliers still think we're in the middle of a boom. such bad business!

stovelid wrote: »
    Maybe the buildings have changed hands since 1996 and are under a large mortgage now?
    if that were true, then what will happen now that they (the landlords) are out €190,000? Nothing. Because I'd bet it was largly profit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    The landlord should really be named and shamed here and questioned as to how they believe that €190,000 is a justifiable level of rent in the current environment.

The owners will be listed in Thom's directory or Thom's Commercial directory.

Thats some jump in rent crazy bucks to be shelling out then there is rates waste charges water charges and god knows what other charges phew i out of breath.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

This did not come from a 100% source and I can't find anything about it online, but I heard that the new cafe upstairs in Tower Records is operated by the Gruel/Mermaid crowd.

Hope the grub is as good

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I should visit for "research" purposes....

Lettuce know how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,689 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Can't believe the Mermaid is closed. Great great treat for lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

The hot beef rolls in Gruel were gorgeous. Shame to see the place go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Some of the small-medium sized units in the Blanchardstown centre have rents over €500,000. I don't know how those shops make a profit. I guess the shops must be passing the cost onto us..the consumers.

Some of the small-medium sized units in the Blanchardstown centre have rents over €500,000. I don't know how those shops make a profit. I guess the shops must be passing the cost onto us..the consumers.

That scandalous
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

Twee. wrote: »
    This did not come from a 100% source and I can't find anything about it online, but I heard that the new cafe upstairs in Tower Records is operated by the Gruel/Mermaid crowd.
    Twee, I had breakfast in Sound Bites the other morning and it was really nice, coffee was great in my opinion.

Review here (not mine!);
    http://prudence.ie/?p=4275

Only problem with the place is that you get so comfortable and relaxed that you don't want to leave - good music playing in the shop also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

A lot of them are going to end up closing, Gamesworkshop closed new years eve.

Advertisement