Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gruel

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Blanch probally cost 40 mill to build i mean they dont have to get it all back in 15/20 years greedy xxxekers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Thaedydal wrote: »
    A lot of them are going to end up closing, Gamesworkshop closed new years eve.

Wow...didn't know that. That place was always very busy, so I'm surprised they weren't making money. Shame really as it was good for the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Was that the Warhammer place

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Hootanany wrote: »
    Yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Bah, regretting all the times I gave them a pass cause I didn't want to queue. Where to get a delish roast in a roll now. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I was in a place in Cork last night which is very similar to Gruel, which I made mention of, only to be advised of this bad news. Terrible shame - fantastic food and such lovely people. One of my favourite places to go when living in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Wow...didn't know that. That place was always very busy, so I'm surprised they weren't making money. Shame really as it was good for the kids.
    Hootanany wrote: »

I was there for the last 30 mins before the shutter went down for the last time.
    They had auctioned all the scenery boards. There was a lot of players hanging around of all ages sad to see it go and hoping they might see each other in the city but relastically it's too far for most to travel for a game or two on an evening and most of the younger kids wouldn't be let.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭boosh_fan

Dudess wrote: »
    I was in a place in Cork last night which is very similar to Gruel, which I made mention of, only to be advised of this bad news. Terrible shame - fantastic food and such lovely people. One of my favourite places to go when living in Dublin.

Was that the Silk Purse by any chance?

The closure of Gruel and Mermaid is such a shame for Dublin. There should be some intervention for home-grown businesses like these which can help them stay afloat rather than letting them go under and sticking another Starbucks/ Subway into the builings. It makes me sick to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

boosh_fan wrote: »
    Was that the Silk Purse by any chance?
    Heh, spot-on. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I was a fan of Gruel too - I loved their funky irregular decor and especially their delicious roast on a roll.

Another casualty of the economic car crash that is Ireland.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Speaking of crazy rents I never understood how places like Gamesworkshop or Forbidden Planet make enough to cover these types of rents, let alone other expenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Riamfada wrote: »
    Speaking of crazy rents I never understood how places like Gamesworkshop or Forbidden Planet make enough to cover these types of rents, let alone other expenses.

Gamesworkshops sells a lot more then people think, esp the likes of the novels and they actively support and encourage new people starting in the hobby and once they get collecting it all ads up.

Forbidden Plant aka forbidden prices is a book shop, collectables, manga and comic book store all rolled into one, it reaches out to several differing randoms and nerd types and those who need/prefer to by in real shop rather then online.
    A lot of thier stuff is priced over the odds but your not waiting for it to be shipped or paying postage and packaging and hoping it gets pass customs.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Good blog post here about the whole thing.
    The top of Georges St really is awful looking with the amount of derelict buildings.
    Surely it's better to have someone in there than nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Christ the way things are going only the big players will be left .i.e McDonalds, Spar, Starbucks etc... Every town in this Country is already starting to look the bloody same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Damn, Gruel was easily my favourite place to eat in Dublin and was my #1 recommendation to people who wanted something a little different. I never ate in The Mermaid but only because it was beside Gruel and would go on there instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Scruff101

No way can't believe this, I LOVED the brownies from Gruel!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

I've spent years intently peering at the menu of The Mermaid waiting for the day that I had enough disposable cash to eat there. Should have sold my first born to have the oppurtunity, damn!

So sad Gruel is gone, great place to people watch

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I was planning on going there tonight :(

I can't help but hope that the premises stay empty for a very long time and the landlady comes to regret her greed. 30 people out of jobs and two excellent restaurants closed because somebody wanted to line their pockets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 gubernaculum

Twee. wrote: »
    This did not come from a 100% source and I can't find anything about it online, but I heard that the new cafe upstairs in Tower Records is operated by the Gruel/Mermaid crowd.

Sound Bites cafe upstairs in Tower Records is definitely being run by at least 2 of the ex-Gruel folk. They're doing some similar fare to Gruel's old menu and the coffee's good :)

I miss the Mermaid, had some great meals there.

Advertisement