Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swapping LNB's

• 14-01-2011 1:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi, I just have a question regarding an LNB. I want to swap a single LNB for a quad LNB. Will the Sky box automatically pick up the signals/channels?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

should do.

Some reading for you here:

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/page10.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

yes. but you need a Sky Quad for a Sky Dish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Where would you get a sky quad LNB?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't forget some waterproof tape on the cable at the connection if you want to keep it working.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭get_d_hand_in

Don't forget some waterproof tape on the cable at the connection if you want to keep it working.

Do you need the tape if you have a cover that pulls down. The sky guy who put mine in never out any tape on them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Do you need the tape if you have a cover that pulls down. The sky guy who put mine in never out any tape on them.

Fill thends of the cables with silicone grease or vaseline before screwing them onto the lnb and then coat the outside of the connectors with same and then pull down the rain cover. Should do the job nicely.
    If you are using more than two of the outputs, then please invite me to watch someone try to wrap amalgamating tape around each individual output.
    It'll make for an afternoon's entertainment:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

excollier wrote: »
    Fill thends of the cables with silicone grease or vaseline before screwing them onto the lnb and then coat the outside of the connectors with same

Do you mean fill the f-connectors with grease? would it not short / conduct the signal?

a) No just on the Threads
    b) Vaseline and proper Silicone Grease (preferred) are both insulators, non-conductive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

watty wrote: »
    a) No just on the Threads
    b) Vaseline and proper Silicone Grease (preferred) are both insulators, non-conductive

Do you mean - put some grease on the cable before you screw on the f-connector? Is that the "threads" you are referring to?

Well, silicone grease is good for that too.

But Threads of LNBF.

I don't beleive in Screw-on-to-cable connectors. If using screw-on-to-cable connector rather than compression type, then you can put some amalgamating tape at junction of cable and screen (only thin layer) before screwing connector on LNBF

Don't forget if LNB uses clip in cover instead of "pull down" to pass coax through it before fitting plugs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

I used spray on motorcycle chain lube for about two years on my own quad lnb.
    Now that stuff really keeps the water out...one application and forget about it, it will never wash off, no matter how hard it rains or blows:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Tinkerbell22

Thanks to everyone for all the advice.Much appreciated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

Advertisement