Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do in Galway city

Options
  • 14-01-2011 1:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭

Hi everyone

So in 2 weeks ill be heading down to galway (just myself and himself) for 2 nights on a weds and thurs.

Just wondering if any of you locals could give me a few tips on what to get up to?

We head down a lot and do the usual of heading to connemara etc but have decided to give it a miss this time because its too bloody cold and gets dark alot earlier!

So if you could recommend the best pubs etc? We love the kings head and places like that...

If you could recommend good trad bars and nice restaurants?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭pagancornflake

Goldenegg wrote: »
    Hi everyone

So in 2 weeks ill be heading down to galway (just myself and himself) for 2 nights on a weds and thurs.

Just wondering if any of you locals could give me a few tips on what to get up to?

We head down a lot and do the usual of heading to connemara etc but have decided to give it a miss this time because its too bloody cold and gets dark alot earlier!

So if you could recommend the best pubs etc? We love the kings head and places like that...

If you could recommend good trad bars and nice restaurants?

Thanks in advance!

Not sure if you would preclude any kind of outdoor excursions during your trip down but if not, I find that a walk along the salthill promenade is always very enjoyable instead of heading to Connemara, since there are plenty of places to stop if it gets very cold/wet, and the atmosphere is very nice on the weekends when lots of families head for walks. Also there's a few very nice places to eat on the way back into Galway city (my own favorite being Pantai; great asian place).

Pub wise my own favorites would be the blue note and Bierhaus, both near domnick street. You could check out the Roisín Dubh near there as well, though it may be packed with drunk students later in the night if you head on a wednesday/thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭StonedRaider

Dogs on a thursday night (college road.10min walk from eyre square). Decent enough food as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭paulosham

If you're looking for trad try The Crane. http://www.thecranebar.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭stunt_penguin

Goldenegg wrote: »

decided to give it a miss this time because its too bloody cold and gets dark alot earlier!

Connemara is extra-gorgeous at this time of year when it's sunny, and everywhere is quiet, everything's a scad cheaper and it's not *that* cold outside. If it's sunny, get yourselves out to Letterfrack, climb the Diamond then head back to Galway and soak up some trad in the Crane.

I shall accept nothing less from ye!*

*comment void if weather is pants.

Advertisement