Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amway products

Options
  • 14-01-2011 1:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever heard or used amway products.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes,

It's not actually pyramid selling but as close as you can go without being illegal.

Very narrow margin for sellers and overpriced product (though reasonable quality).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amway

American Way ?

Are you being asked to buy or sell?
    Amway combines direct selling with a network marketing strategy. IBOs may both market the products directly to potential customers and also recruit (sponsor) and train other people who become IBOs themselves and in turn have the same opportunity. Each IBO may earn income both from the retail markup on any products they sell personally, plus a performance bonus based on the sales volume they and their downline have generated.[3] People may also register as IBOs to buy products at a discounted rate.[51] [52] Amway has been accused of using high pressure tactics and in effect brainwashing its IBO's, using peer pressure in meetings and threats to get IBO's to recruit more, lower income members who are less likely to complain about being taken advantage of. These claims however have never been proved in the many court cases against them.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amway#Business_model
    Pyramid scheme accusations

Amway has several times been accused of being a pyramid scheme. A 1979 FTC investigation in the United States (see below), a 1997 Belgian court[63] and a 2008 court judgement in the United Kingdom all dismissed these claims.[64]
    FTC investigation
    Main article: In re Amway Corp.

In a 1979 ruling,[16][65] the Federal Trade Commission found that Amway does not qualify as a pyramid scheme since Amway compensation system is based on retail sales to consumers, not payments for recruiting.

It did, however, order Amway to stop retail price fixing and allocating customers among distributors and prohibited the company from misrepresenting the amount of profit, earnings or sales its distributors are likely to achieve with the business. Amway was ordered to accompany any such statements with the actual averages per distributor, pointing out that more than half of the distributors do not make any money, with the average distributor making less than $100 per month. The order was violated with a 1986 ad campaign, resulting in a $100,000 fine.[66]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Amway. Now that's a blast from the past. My family bought alot of their stuff in the early 80s. Overpriced and nothing brilliant about it. I agree that it's as close to pyramid selling as you'll get without being pyramid selling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭T Corolla

I attend a seminar of theirs in a dublin hotel in the past week. I thought also the products were overpriced espically the cookware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Legal pyramid selling. Stay away.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The Amway phenomenon comes and goes, and the only one making a lot of money out of it is the person who starts the ball rolling. He is the one coining it while all those down the food-chain are busily selling the stuff all around the place. It eventually fizzles out due to saturation of the market.

I was reluctantly dragged along to one of their almost "religious revival" meetings some years ago, and couldn't believe the people falling for it. I was expecting them to heal the sick, the way the speakers were carrying on. It was obvious that it wasn't going to be a full-time career for anyone of the hundreds in this particular hotel conference room.

• Advertisement
Advertisement