Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,909 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I actually think that has been a huge disadvantage to the team for two reasons. Firstly the Pats take it for granted every year, that they are going to the playoffs and taking anything for granted is never a good thing. Secondly and perhaps the most importantly point is the competitive edge. Marching through the regular season and getting a bye has not been good for us. Because we come up against teams like the Ravens and the Giants, who battled, scraped and fought their way through the seasons & playoffs. So when the reach us, they are fired up and shaped by much sharper competitive edge.

We on the other hand win on autopilot, we're all excited because we know they can take it to the next level. We are nearly always the pace setting offense. And so we await the big games with anticipation, but what has happened in recent seasons? We meet a hungrier, sharper and more competitive & battle hardened team that doesn't give us a chance to get out of the blocks. It mightn't do us any harm to battle and scrape this season, because at least then if we get to the playoffs. The team might have a bit more hunger to win key games.
    Ok this stuff is way ott. Its not easy to win games in the NFL regardless of who the opposition are. Just because we have won the division so often you guys are suggesting its because we have an easy division. Well lets face it, the Patriots are so good that the other teams don't look so good. The reason their records are not so good is because they have to face us twice per year. Take out the two Patriots game from their schedule and their records over the last ten years don't look so bad.
    Its like the Colts in their division while Manning was there, the other teams struggle mightily for most of that time but the reason for it was two losses a lot of years against the Colts.
    You are seriously underestimating just what a fantastice franchis Bob Kraft has built, what a phenomenal coach Bill Belichick is and how ridiculously great Tom Brady has been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Ok this stuff is way ott. Its not easy to win games in the NFL regardless of who the opposition are. Just because we have won the division so often you guys are suggesting its because we have an easy division. Well lets face it, the Patriots are so good that the other teams don't look so good. The reason their records are not so good is because they have to face us twice per year. Take out the two Patriots game from their schedule and their records over the last ten years don't look so bad.
    Its like the Colts in their division while Manning was there, the other teams struggle mightily for most of that time but the reason for it was two losses a lot of years against the Colts.
    You are seriously underestimating just what a fantastice franchis Bob Kraft has built, what a phenomenal coach Bill Belichick is and how ridiculously great Tom Brady has been.

Oh for fook sake no one isnt suggesting that the Pats have gotten a total easy ride due to a sh1te division. You are in fact making the point for us. The fact of the matter is the Patriots have a been strong team since 2001 and the fact the AFC East has been poor for the most bar maybe 1 season where the Pats struggled all over the place being so good ties into how sh1t the division has been for us. With the Pats being so good and the other AFC East teams not being up to the same standard it has made life for the Pats very easy and to be honest if you can't see that as a Pats fan you are slightly in denial. Every NFL fan can see including most Pats fans.

The AFC East especially has helped the Pats out over the years with Bill and Tom at the helm whether you want to accept it or not. Does this mean we are taking away from the Patriots abilities as a team? No it doesn't I don't even know where you are getting that idea from. But every little helps. The stupid thing is as Corvus pointed out if the AFC East and other teams in the AFC had been a tad more competitive over the years maybe our playoff runs and Bowl runs might have been a tad more successful because it would have raised the bar for the Pats even more.

Look at Matt Cassel's season at the helm he was 4-2 against AFC East teams. The Fish actually had a solid season that year and it showed that when the AFC East offers competition it makes life harder for the Pats but we still went 4-2 in the Division and 11-5 overall and failed to make the playoffs because of our loses to the Jets and Fish under Cassel's guidance. 10/11 times AFC East Champions sums it up.

But I do think and I am not alone on this until we get over the hump of beating physical defenses in the league we wont win a Bowl again. Even the first bowl against the Giants we were at full strength and their physicality bitch slapped us. Many say it was because of David Tyree's catch but lets face it our Offense struggled against the Giants Defense at times that day and their defense shut us down when needed.

And get the fook out with this nonsense and get off your pedestal. This is an insult to even suggest this to us as long time Pats fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Ok this stuff is way ott. Its not easy to win games in the NFL regardless of who the opposition are.

Huh? Jesus Christ eagle stall the ball there, because who said it was? Because I didn't, in fact I challenge you to back through any post I have ever made in this entire forum. And you will see I have never called the AFC easy, yes some others have, but not me. So please don't be accusing me in the wrong.
    Just because we have won the division so often you guys are suggesting its because we have an easy division.

Wrong again Eagle, I never said it was easy and once again look at my previous answer.
    Well lets face it, the Patriots are so good that the other teams don't look so good. The reason their records are not so good is because they have to face us twice per year.

For me the real reason is Tom Brady. I'm not taking anything away from the team, but if we take away 'The great One' then we wouldn't have dominated our division so much.

I hope the 'You' you are referring to there isn't me? Because I share your sentiments. but since you brought up some issue which I was not discussing in my last post. I will give you my thoughts on them. 4th winners ring or not, Brady is the greatest QB. No QB has ever gone through the sheer amount of change of receiving targets throughout out of his career. All of the greats had an elite core of targets throughout their careers, Brady has never had that luxury. Take Amendola for example, if he stays health, then there's no doubt he will make him look better than Welker. I call it the 'Brady efffect' it's just what he does to receivers.

He has mentored and taught a whole new bunch of rookie targets this summer. It says so much for Brady leadership, talent and ability that these young guys are already catching people's eyes. I said in the prediction thread that if Brady gets his usual numbers this year, then he should win the MVP hands down. He enters a season with 88% of all receptions and his top 5 receivers gone. No QB has ever, ever had to deal with this amount of change. I can go on and on about Brady but I won't.

Now Belichick, I personally have no doubt in my own mind that by the time Bill retires he will be the greatest Coach to have ever graced the NFL. If he wins a fourth ring as a Head Coach, then it's beyond dispute. The Brady - Belichcik tandem will be remembered as the greatest and most successful QB & Coach partnership ever in the NFL. And when you look at what they have achieved in this era of free agency, then their partnership is even more remarkable.

But now I have to include 'The holy Trinity' by including Robert Kraft. What an an absolute man of class and a consummate gentleman he is. The respect and standing he holds across the NFL says it all about the man. A man who the players union call - "The Man Who Saved Football". We are truly blessed to have such a wonderful owner of the franchise and I'm sure when Johnathan takes the reigns some day, he will follow in his dads footsteps. The Patriots franchise model is, has and will continued to be copied by other teams across the NFL.

And to finish, read my last post again. I was talking about a competitive edge and I think we have lacked it against teams who have struggled and fought through their divisions to play us. Now just be clear, that is not saying the AFC is easy. But it is saying that having such an awesome offense, is probably a disadvantage when it gets to the blood and guts part of the season. Defenses win Championships and when we needed it to step up, it has been sorely lacking.

My one criticism of this franchise has been, for too long so much has been put on the shoulders of Tom Brady. And the fact that he has carried this responsibility for so long and with such style exemplifies his greatness. We have an elite offense every year, I said in my last post that we seem to win on autopilot and that is because of Brady. And be clear on something Eagle, when I said autopilot there and in my last post, I was not talking about the AFC East only O.K.

For me the real reason is Tom Brady. I'm not taking anything away from the team, but if we take away 'The great One' then we wouldn't have dominated our division so much.

Well technically not true. It has also depended on the supporting cast. As I pointed out Matt Cassel was 4-2 over the AFC east in his year as a starter in the absence of Tom Brady. Hard not to see how the lack of competition in the AFC East hasnt helped the Pats out. In fact that season There was strong competition from both the Jets and Fish and we still put up good numbers but failed to make the playoffs. Had TB being the starter yes we probably would have made the playoffs but it wouldn't have been as easy as previous years but again if his backup can go 4-2 in the division it really hasn't said a lot for the AFC East.

I hope the 'You' you are referring to there isn't me? Because I share your sentiments. but since you brought up some issue which I was not discussing in my last post. I will give you my thoughts on them. 4th winners ring or not, Brady is the greatest QB. No QB has ever gone through the sheer amount of change of receiving targets throughout out of his career. All of the greats had an elite core of targets throughout their careers, Brady has never had that luxury. Take Amendola for example, if he stays health, then there's no doubt he will make him look better than Welker. I call it the 'Brady efffect' it's just what he does to receivers.

I actually disagree with this to some extent. Of course the best QBs in the league are going to elevate any Wide Recievers abilities but as Pats fans we should also know best how sometimes this isn't true. The WR himself has to have talent for it to happen. Look at all the WR that came and went and did nothing with the Pats. Welker has shown his abiltiy the other night also showing you put him with any QB who knows how the play at a high level and he will get you yards.
    He has mentored and taught a whole new bunch of rookie targets this summer. It says so much for Brady leadership, talent and ability that these young guys are already catching people's eyes. I said in the prediction thread that if Brady gets his usual numbers this year, then he should win the MVP hands down. He enters a season with 88% of all receptions and his top 5 receivers gone. No QB has ever, ever had to deal with this amount of change. I can go on and on about Brady but I won't.

Catching our eyes and as much as we hope they all live up to what we see in the pre-season lets face it the jury is still out on our Receiver corp at the moment.
    Now Belichick, I personally have no doubt in my own mind that by the time Bill retires he will be the greatest Coach to have ever graced the NFL. If he wins a fourth ring as a Head Coach, then it's beyond dispute. The Brady - Belichcik tandem will be remembered as the greatest and most successful QB & Coach partnership ever in the NFL. And when you look at what they have achieved in this era of free agency, then their partnership is even more remarkable.

No arguments here but it does seem at times when you question what Bill or Tom or even Bob do some Pats fans just can't handle criticism and go down the road of having a go at ones following of the team and loyalty.
    But now I have to include 'The holy Trinity' by including Robert Kraft. What an an absolute man of class and a consummate gentleman he is. The respect and standing he holds across the NFL says it all about the man. A man who the players union call - "The Man Who Saved Football". We are truly blessed to have such a wonderful owner of the franchise and I'm sure when Johnathan takes the reigns some day, he will follow in his dads footsteps. The Patriots franchise model is, has and will continued to be copied by other teams across the NFL.

No arguments here.
    And to finish, read my last post again. I was talking about a competitive edge and I think we have lacked it against teams who have struggled and fought through their divisions to play us. Now just be clear, that is not saying the AFC is easy. But it is saying that having such an awesome offense, is probably a disadvantage when it gets to the blood and guts part of the season. Defenses win Championships and when we needed it to step up, it has been sorely lacking.

Competition breeds success no matter how you swing it and I agree with you the lack of competition at times has been evident but it does all lead back to how easy our offense has had it times. And yes they may have been the best offense in the NFL for a long time but good or bad their competition hasn't raised to their level so yes the word easy can easily come into play.

• Advertisement

TO. wrote: »
    Well technically not true. It has also depended on the supporting cast. As I pointed out Matt Cassel was 4-2 over the AFC east in his year as a starter in the absence of Tom Brady.

I don't agree, one year isn't an accurate enough comparison for me. Now neasuring a comparison over three - four seasons, then yes maybe. It is like a man getting sent off in soccer, the team rallies when a man down. When the team lost Brady in 2008, of course they rallied around the new man. Now say if Brady's career was ended back then? Then I have no doubt you would have had a big drop of after the initial rally began to wane. Now of course I don't want to take away from the contributions of the team. But if we didn't have Brady since 2001, then we would not have had the success we have had.
    Hard not to see how the lack of competition in the AFC East hasnt helped the Pats out. In fact that season There was strong competition from both the Jets and Fish and we still put up good numbers but failed to make the playoffs. Had TB being the starter yes we probably would have made the playoffs but it wouldn't have been as easy as previous years but again if his backup can go 4-2 in the division it really hasn't said a lot for the AFC East.

I see what your saying, but isn't it also a lot to do with the QB they are facing? They have the misfortune of facing Brady. So are they that week? Or is Brady that good? But as I said before, regardless of AFC East, we usually have a great regular season. So when we get to the blood and guts games, we lack a competitive edge and a hunger.

I actually disagree with this to some extent. Of course the best QBs in the league are going to elevate any Wide Recievers abilities but as Pats fans we should also know best how sometimes this isn't true. The WR himself has to have talent for it to happen. Look at all the WR that came and went and did nothing with the Pats.

Of course the WR makes a contribution. Picking up the complex Pats playbook is a formidable challenge and is easy for no one.
    Welker has shown his ability the other night also showing you put him with any QB who knows how the play at a high level and he will get you yards.

I wouldn't give Welker too much praise there. I mean he hasn't got 'any' QB throwing to him. It's the great Peyton Manning throwing to him after all. I never expected Welker's production to dip in any way this season, because of Peyton Manning.

Sorry to say, but even when he was a Patriot, I always felt he was a bit overrated. Now don't get me wrong, he was a great servant and one tough durable little guy who defined the slot role. But the key word I used there is 'little guy'. I think using this little guy so much has cost us. That's not his fault, that's Belichicks fault.

For years now we have sorely lacked a deeper and outside threat. This has cost us dearly in the big games. Thankfully, thankfully i think they copped this and it's why I'm so excited to see players like Dobson, Thompkins and even Sims now on the team. They have a size and skill set we have sorely lacked.
    Hard not to see how the lack of competition in the AFC East hasnt helped the Pats out. In fact that season There was strong competition from both the Jets and Fish and we still put up good numbers but failed to make the playoffs. Had TB being the starter yes we probably would have made the playoffs but it wouldn't have been as easy as previous years but again if his backup can go 4-2 in the division it really hasn't said a lot for the AFC East.

I see what your saying, but isn't it also a lot to do with the QB they are facing? They have the misfortune of facing Brady. So are they that weak? Or is Brady that good? But as I said before, regardless of AFC East, we usually have a great regular season. So when we get to the blood and guts games, we lack a competitive edge and a hunger.

Catching our eyes and as much as we hope they all live up to what we see in the pre-season lets face it the jury is still out on our Receiver corp at the moment.

Yes we know they have now to walk the walk. But think of disasters like Ocho in the past, he couldn't even get his routes right in training camp, never mind the regular season. These rookies have stood out and credit too them. Now if you recall when they were drafted, one thing I like reading was they all were regarded as being smart, intelligent players.

Talent is one thing, but a having a football brain is another. They appear to have taken to the complex play book very well. The key man here though has been Brady, he has performed his role as teacher and mentor excellently. Here's a great article that goes into it in some detail.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4748016/tom-brady-adjusting-to-new-role-as-teacher

Competition breeds success no matter how you swing it and I agree with you the lack of competition at times has been evident but it does all lead back to how easy our offense has had it times. And yes they may have been the best offense in the NFL for a long time but good or bad their competition hasn't raised to their level so yes the word easy can easily come into play.

Yes we have been victims of our own offense if you ask me. But I think the competition issue isn't just confined to the AFC East. Look at the Texans, we biítch slapped them twice last year. Of course maybe the príck JJ Watt's spitting on the team log had something to do with it, who knows? But he didn't do much in those games against us. Beating them well in the playoffs probably didn't help us going into the Ravens game. Because maybe they were subconsciously complacent. But apart for us agreeing on the lack of edge or competition. We can't overlook some stupid & baffling decisions.

I mean after having a superstar game against the Texans. Vereen was ignored in the game against the Ravens. I mean seriously wft was all that about? I blame Bill for that and the failure to include Vereen against the Ravens still baffles me. Then look at the idiots in the secondary. Talib goes off injured and the secondary fell totally apart. So they are failings I suppose we can't really blame a lack of competition for.

No arguments here but it does seem at times when you question what Bill or Tom or even Bob do some Pats fans just can't handle criticism and go down the road of having a go at ones following of the team and loyalty.

I totally agree and I think that's a bad attitude to have. Just look at some of the fúcktards we have had on the secondary? Thankfully they got rid of Chung, but they also should have gotten rid of 'sick note' Dowling last year too imo. Then we finally cut cole? I was over the moon and then he's brought back again. I mean ffs!

I don't agree, one year isn't an accurate enough comparison for me. Now neasuring a comparison over three - four seasons, then yes maybe. It is like a man getting sent off in soccer, the team rallies when a man down. When the team lost Brady in 2008, of course they rallied around the new man. Now say if Brady's career was ended back then? Then I have no doubt you would have had a big drop of after the initial rally began to wane. Now of course I don't want to take away from the contributions of the team. But if we didn't have Brady since 2001, then we would not have had the success we have had.

I do and I dont buy into the team rallying around to get the job done. On one hand you are saying they are lost without Brady but on the other you are saying they arent. Can't have it both ways.

I do agree makes a huge difference having a solid support cast there is no denying that but Cassel aguy who had barely thrown a football since High school had a very good season that year even if I buy into the team rallying around him he still went 4-2 against the AFC East due to our Offense and how we play. Many expected the AFC to be a lot tougher for the Patriots without Brady but it was a team effort and has always been.

But You and Eagle have missed my point completely. When I say the AFC East has been easy for us and other AFC teams I mean they are easy compared to Patriots standards over the years. 10/11 of AFC East wins show that. The Pats are on a much higher level than the rest of the AFC East and yes the AFC East and the AFC has been easy for the most part. Take any sport where a team is dominating. Yes they are most likely one of the best or the best and there will be games and teams they just make light work of and find very easy and for me that is the AFC East. Call it what you will but the Patriots have found life a lot easier being stuck in the AFC East. Add all of this with the fact the Fish and Jets and Bills have been messes or rebuilding constantly and its hard not to say the AFC East is easy.
    I see what your saying, but isn't it also a lot to do with the QB they are facing? They have the misfortune of facing Brady. So are they that week? Or is Brady that good? But as I said before, regardless of AFC East, we usually have a great regular season. So when we get to the blood and guts games, we lack a competitive edge and a hunger.

To be fair you can't just basically say it was all Brady. But I see what you are saying when sticking with the point I was trying to make. The AFC East is an easy division for the Pats and most likely will be again this season.

Of course the WR makes a contribution. Picking up the complex Pats playbook is a formidable challenge and is easy for no one.

Plenty have come and gone and picked up the playbook and were still bad or average.

I wouldn't give Welker too much praise there. I mean he hasn't got 'any' QB throwing to him. It's the great Peyton Manning throwing to him after all. I never expected Welker's production to dip in any way this season, because of Peyton Manning.

So what? His route running and catching ability are all him. His mental and physcial toughness are all him. Yes he has Manning throwing to him but lets not use that as an excuse to say "Oh look Manning now making Welker look good"
    Sorry to say, but even when he was a Patriot, I always felt he was a bit overrated. Now don't get me wrong, he was a great servant and one tough durable little guy who defined the slot role. But the key word I used there is 'little guy'. I think using this little guy so much has cost us. That's not his fault, that's Belichicks fault.

See this part drives me insane as a Pats fan. Welker was an absolutely fantastic servant to the club and no matter how things ended he went well above on beyond what was expected of him. 111 catches and 1165 yds averaging 10.5 yds a catch with Cassel throwing to him also the kid had talent. And again Bill Belichick signed him for a reason. No way Bill was signing an average kid with his size hoping Brady would make him a star.
    For years now we have sorely lacked a deeper and outside threat. This has cost us dearly in the big games. Thankfully, thankfully i think they copped this and it's why I'm so excited to see players like Dobson, Thompkins and even Sims now on the team. They have a size and skill set we have sorely lacked.

I agree.

Yes we know they have now to walk the walk. But think of disasters like Ocho in the past, he couldn't even get his routes right in training camp, never mind the regular season. These rookies have stood out and credit too them. Now if you recall when they were drafted, one thing I like reading was they all were regarded as being smart, intelligent players.

Coming back to WR Im not talking about the Ocho types when I mentioned guys who failed. Im talking about guys who were just average or dropped footballs. Guys who got the playbook but not even Tom Brady could raise their game. Why? because they had very little talent to begin with. So you have to credit to the small tough durable fooker that is Wes Welker. Calling him overrated is an insult to be honest.
    Talent is one thing, but a having a football brain is another. They appear to have taken to the complex play book very well. The key man here though has been Brady, he has performed his role as teacher and mentor excellently. Here's a great article that goes into it in some detail.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4748016/tom-brady-adjusting-to-new-role-as-teacher

No debate here so I wont go into it.

I mean after having a superstar game against the Texans. Vereen was ignored in the game against the Ravens. I mean seriously wft was all that about? I blame Bill for that and the failure to include Vereen against the Ravens still baffles me. Then look at the idiots in the secondary. Talib goes off injured and the secondary fell totally apart. So they are failings I suppose we can't really blame a lack of competition for.

Texans were a hot and cold team playoffs proved that. All talk no action.

I do and I dont buy into the team rallying around to get the job done. On one hand you are saying they are lost without Brady but on the other you are saying they arent. Can't have it both ways.

I didn't say we are lost without Brady. Of course the team played it's part. But I did say there is no way we are ever achieving what we achieved without Brady.
    I do agree makes a huge difference having a solid support cast there is no denying that but Cassel aguy who had barely thrown a football since High school had a very good season that year even if I buy into the team rallying around him he still went 4-2 against the AFC East due to our Offense and how we play. Many expected the AFC to be a lot tougher for the Patriots without Brady but it was a team effort and has always been.

For me personally and to repeat what I said. I can't compare Cassel to Brady based on just one season. I would need to measure Cassel over a three-four season period.

But You and Eagle have missed my point completely. When I say the AFC East has been easy for us and other AFC teams I mean they are easy compared to Patriots standards over the years. 10/11 of AFC East wins show that. The Pats are on a much higher level than the rest of the AFC East and yes the AFC East and the AFC has been easy for the most part. Take any sport where a team is dominating. Yes they are most likely one of the best or the best and there will be games and teams they just make light work of and find very easy and for me that is the AFC East. Call it what you will but the Patriots have found life a lot easier being stuck in the AFC East. Add all of this with the fact the Fish and Jets and Bills have been messes or rebuilding constantly and its hard not to say the AFC East is easy.
    I didn't miss your point TO., I see your point but I just don’t entirely agree with it. Yes we dominate the AFC and that’s a fact of life in the Brady-Belichick era. But they can’t be blamed for that and I don’t think that’s the complete reason why we've been uncompetitive at times. Of course having a tougher division would help us, but it’s not the only reason why we've fell short.

For me it’s also factors like our pathetic secondary, losing Gronk when we really need him. And what happens when you lose Gronk? They depend more on Wes. So all the Ravens have to do is flood the middle and limit Wes. That’s how they won the AFC title. They knew we had no deep or wide options, so we couldn't keep them honest. And that’s why I got pissed with Wes tbh, he began to remind me of what we lacked. Which wasn't his fault of course.
    So what? His route running and catching ability are all him. His mental and physcial toughness are all him. Yes he has Manning throwing to him but lets not use that as an excuse to say "Oh look Manning now making Welker look good"
    I never questioned his ability but I think our reliance on him was to the detriment of having a more dynamic, unpredictable attack.
    See this part drives me insane as a Pats fan. Welker was an absolutely fantastic servant to the club and no matter how things ended he went well above on beyond what was expected of him. 111 catches and 1165 yds averaging 10.5 yds a catch with Cassel throwing to him also the kid had talent. And again Bill Belichick signed him for a reason. No way Bill was signing an average kid with his size hoping Brady would make him a star.
    I think you miss my point. I said Welker was a great servant in my last post and I also said that in here long ago. But I think we were over dependent on him. Now that wasn't his fault of course. But our over reliance on him stunted our search and development of deep & wider threat options. And it was the lack of these threats that has cost us dearly in big games. The blame for that has to land squarely on Belichick’s lap.
    Coming back to WR Im not talking about the Ocho types when I mentioned guys who failed. Im talking about guys who were just average or dropped footballs. Guys who got the playbook but not even Tom Brady could raise their game. Why? because they had very little talent to begin with. So you have to credit to the small tough durable fooker that is Wes Welker. Calling him overrated is an insult to be honest.

An insult? What you are doing right now sums up why he is overrated tbh. And to make it clear about overrated. I am really talking about the reaction of you just there and why a lot of Pats fans go ape whenever you question Wes. I already said he was a great servant for the team and I already said in my last post that Welker defined the slot position. For christ sake, I can’t give him a bigger compliment than that can I? But as good as he was, our reliance on him hurt us imo.

For too long he was Brady’s comfort blanket and that hurt us. I said in here months ago, that with Gronk injured and Wes gone it could be a blessing in disguise. Because it will force Brady to develop new options. Now we have Amendola, Boyce, Dobson, Thompkins and Sudfeld. Brady seems to have done a fine job integrating them into the playbook. That’s 5 new guys that could bring a more dynamic threat than our old dependence on Wes brought.

Now If Wes had of stayed, then I have no doubt we would not have developed this young rookie receiving core. SO YES I am glad Wes is gone, because we now potentially have a much more unpredictable and dynamic attack. Yes they might all fail and they might be flops, but do you know what? It won’t bother me, because at least it would have been right to try to develop a more dynamic & unpredictable attack.
    Texans were a hot and cold team playoffs proved that. All talk no action.
    Well I suppose you could say we proved that. They met the big boys and got called out over it.

Jesus H Christ, I just heard we brought back Leon Washington. Why is beyond me.

An insult? What you are doing right now sums up why he is overrated tbh. And to make it clear about overrated. I am really talking about the reaction of you just there and why a lot of Pats fans go ape whenever you question Wes. I already said he was a great servant for the team and I already said in my last post that Welker defined the slot position. For christ sake, I can’t give him a bigger compliment than that can I? But as good as he was, our reliance on him hurt us imo.

Im leaving the other stuff alone because at this point it will go around in circles but one thing that grinds my gears is people making out Brady made Welker and then saying he is overated and then making points that us that like Welker are overating him with our reactions and apparent non criticism which to me is BS. How can you on one hand say Brady makes him look better and then applaud him while saying he is overated? Doesn't matter what my reaction is it can't overate a player you actually agree is a solid WR. Makes no sense.

I have been very critical at times with Welker, all you have to do is search my posts. But to bring in Amendola who is smaller and not as robust to replace him is mad. Sure if Amendola works out great with got that slot position sewn up again but if he doesn't then getting rid of Welker who has proven himself with Brady, Cassel and now Manning looks a tad silly at best. Unless they feel Amendola's age is the key going forward.

I guess I just don't get your argument here when it comes to Welker and you are not alone. Brady makes every WR look better but as I said and we both agree it takes talent to begin with to work with Brady and Welker had that. I guess you will have to show how on earth I have overrated him because I read what I wrote and I don't see where I did.

I do think if you agree he is a talented guy even if Brady did or didn't make him better then yes you are insulting the guys and his talent or contradicting yourself. Help me out here as I have no idea why you think I am overrating him. Do I think he is better than Amendola? Yes I do. Do I think he is more robust and a better WR long term than Amendola? Yes I do.

As for the Young group of WR how would it have been any different with Welker still around? Amendola = Welker and Welker = Amendola. Sure Amendola is younger but I touched on the problems we could face with him. But I don't see how its any different in developing our rookies having 1 or the other around. Either way the Dobson, Thompkins and Boyce would have had the same development time.

Last thing on this. You say we depended on him so much, sure we did but I can't blame Welker for that and I know you agree. Did that dependencies cost us over the years? Yes it did and we both agree on that. So seen as we agree on most of all things on him how am I overrating him?

• Advertisement

Im leaving the other stuff alone because at this point it will go around in circles but one thing that grinds my gears is people making out Brady made Welker and then saying he is overated and then making points that us that like Welker are overating him with our reactions and apparent non criticism which to me is BS. How can you on one hand say Brady makes him look better and then applaud him while saying he is overated? Doesn't matter what my reaction is it can't overate a player you actually agree is a solid WR. Makes no sense.
    I already said Welker was a great servant, I already said he defined the slot receiver role and what a slot receiver should be. But I think his role was given too much importance on our team and we paid a price for it. And yes, to repeat what I said way back. I have no doubt that if Amendola can stay healthy, then his numbers could be as good. But I don’t want to happen, because our overreliance on the slot has hurt us in the past.
    I have been very critical at times with Welker, all you have to do is search my posts. But to bring in Amendola who is smaller and not as robust to replace him is mad. Sure if Amendola works out great with got that slot position sewn up again but if he doesn't then getting rid of Welker who has proven himself with Brady, Cassel and now Manning looks a tad silly at best. Unless they feel Amendola's age is the key going forward. ?
    TO., from all the reports I’ve read and watched when we signed him. They all list Amendola as being 2 inches taller that Wes, they also rated him to be faster and to provide a better outside option at times. But I don’t care about that, because I said in this thread months ago before free agency started, that I didn’t want to sign Amendola. I didn’t want another Welker 2.0. I’m fed up with runty slot receivers and it’s not the first time I’ve said that.
    I guess I just don't get your argument here when it comes to Welker and you are not alone. Brady makes every WR look better but as I said and we both agree it takes talent to begin with to work with Brady and Welker had that. I guess you will have to show how on earth I have overrated him because I read what I wrote and I don't see where I did.
    You said earlier that me calling him overrated was an insult and I said that very reaction from you, is why I personally think he is overrated. I raised the issue of being overrated here and it wasn’t directed at you specifically. It was directed at Pats fans in general who think Wes was the be all and end all for the offense.
    I do think if you agree he is a talented guy even if Brady did or didn't make him better then yes you are insulting the guys and his talent or contradicting yourself. Help me out here as I have no idea why you think I am overrating him. Do I think he is better than Amendola? Yes I do. Do I think he is more robust and a better WR long term than Amendola? Yes I do.
    How am I contradicting myself? He served us very well, he was the best slot receiver in the league. But it’s a position we put too much importance on and it has hurt us. We ignored the wider and deeper threats and gave this little slot guy way too much of a role in the team and too much importance imo. So I think his role became very over rated as a result and this shortcoming was exposed in big games. I don’t know how to make my position any clearer than that.
    As for the Young group of WR how would it have been any different with Welker still around? Amendola = Welker and Welker = Amendola. Sure Amendola is younger but I touched on the problems we could face with him. But I don't see how its any different in developing our rookies having 1 or the other around. Either way the Dobson, Thompkins and Boyce would have had the same development time.
    There is absolutely no way we would have developed the rookies we have, If Wes had of signed a new deal. Would Brady have had the patience to even work with such an amount of rookies? If you read that article I linked earlier. Riddley said he was amazed at how patient Brady was with all the new rookies. He said he didn’t think Brady had it in him. No doubt in my mind, that all the changes forced Brady to take on a bigger & more patient mentoring role than he ever has. In the past it’s been a case of fúck that rookie, you’re not where you’re supposed on your route so I’ll pass to Wes then.

Gronk’s uncertain health, the departure of Wes and then the arrest of a certain scumbag. Forced wholesale changes onto our receiving corp. If all of that did not happen, then there is no way we would have such a talented crop of young rookies right now. One of the few anomalies of the Belichick era, is that we have not been very good at picking up and developing young rookie WR’s. This year could be a significant change to that poor record and it’s down to the loss of 88% of our pass catchers from last season.
    Last thing on this. You say we depended on him so much, sure we did but I can't blame Welker for that and I know you agree. Did that dependencies cost us over the years? Yes it did and we both agree on that. So seen as we agree on most of all things on him how am I overrating him?
    I already said I didn't blame Welker for our over dependence on him. Regarding the overrating issue, I’m beginning fee like a broken record on this now. Many Pats fans miss Wes, I don’t. Why? Because we relied on him too much, he stunted the development of a more dynamic, deeper & wider threat. He became a comfort blanket for Brady. I said in my last post that this was not the fault of Wes. I said in my last post that I blamed Belichick for this. So what more can I say?

I already said Welker was a great servant, I already said he defined the slot receiver role and what a slot receiver should be. But I think his role was given too much importance on our team and we paid a price for it. And yes, to repeat what I said way back. I have no doubt that if Amendola can stay healthy, then his numbers could be as good. But I don’t want to happen, because our overreliance on the slot has hurt us in the past.

You said earlier that me calling him overrated was an insult and I said that very reaction from you, is why I personally think he is overrated. I raised the issue of being overrated here and it wasn’t directed at you specifically. It was directed at Pats fans in general who think Wes was the be all and end all for the offense.

How am I contradicting myself? He served us very well, he was the best slot receiver in the league. But it’s a position we put too much importance on and it has hurt us. We ignored the wider and deeper threats and gave this little slot guy way too much of a role in the team and too much importance imo. So I think his role became very over rated as a result and this shortcoming was exposed in big games. I don’t know how to make my position any clearer than that.

There is absolutely no way we would have developed the rookies we have, If Wes had of signed a new deal. Would Brady have had the patience to even work with such an amount of rookies? If you read that article I linked earlier. Riddley said he was amazed at how patient Brady was with all the new rookies. He said he didn’t think Brady had it in him. No doubt in my mind, that all the changes forced Brady to take on a bigger & more patient mentoring role than he ever has. In the past it’s been a case of fúck that rookie, you’re not where you’re supposed on your route so I’ll pass to Wes then.

Gronk’s uncertain health, the departure of Wes and then the arrest of a certain scumbag. Forced wholesale changes onto our receiving corp. If all of that did not happen, then there is no way we would have such a talented crop of young rookies right now. One of the few anomalies of the Belichick era, is that we have not been very good at picking up and developing young rookie WR’s. This year could be a significant change to that poor record and it’s down to the loss of 88% of our pass catchers from last season.

I already said I didn't blame Welker for our over dependence on him. Regarding the overrating issue, I’m beginning fee like a broken record on this now. Many Pats fans miss Wes, I don’t. Why? Because we relied on him too much, he stunted the development of a more dynamic, deeper & wider threat. He became a comfort blanket for Brady. I said in my last post that this was not the fault of Wes. I said in my last post that I blamed Belichick for this. So what more can I say?

Ok so he is overated because Pats fans miss him? Ok got you. You don't like him because we used him too much and depended on him way too much. Ok got you. You blame Bill and co for it, ok got you. Now that is cleared up I disagree with you when you say the Rookies wouldn't get the same attention if Welker was still there. I dont care how many articles you throw at me showing Brady is now working more with the Rookies and I will tell you why:

Amendola and Brady have already found sync according to many reports largely due to the offseason workout they had together and camp. I do think you are wrong to blame the "slot" as the reason why Brady has no faith elsewhere.

For the last few season what has Brady had to depend on? 2 Tight ends and a Slot WR. 1 of those Tight ends is injured and the other is in Jail. Amendola then replaces the slot. So Brady now realises like any good QB would that he now needs to find other targets and the coaches know the exact same thing. If you really think Welker leaving is the reason for it I don't think there is anything I can say that will change your mind.

Brady is no idiot though and since Moss left I am sure he knows now more than most that developing these rookies especially the outside guys is imperative now he has limited options and would like to have that deep threat again.

Amendola or Welker it makes no difference as soon as Hernandez was going to jail that focus then shifted to who the fook else will catch footballs with Gronk still injured. and I would put any amount of money on it Bill and Tom sat down and came to a quick decision of lets make sure we rep these rookies and make sure we get a rapport going or hit the FA and look for outside guys who could be serviceable. Lucky for the Pats right now it seems the rookies have stepped up to the plate.

Any coach will tell you that you have to work with what you have and unfortunately for us Pats fans at times Welker became all too dependable as did Gronk and Hernandez due to us having no options outside. Bill was basically working with what he had at the end of it all. I actually wouldn't be surprised if Josh reminded him that looking at X and Y type WR in the draft and FA might not be a bad idea to advance our passing game again.

What it comes down to is Brady going to Welker because all of his options were slim for the most part especially on the outside. Welker was also only part of the problem. Gronk and Hernandez became far too much of a focus also so much so when they were injured it hurt us in the sense they were no longer a target on the field and that Welker then became the main focus again.

So if Welker is overrated so is Amendola and the slot is not the problem. It actually comes down to our coaching staff depending on Welker, Gronk and Hernandez and not fixing the outside guys since Moss left.

As I said I 100% disagree with you saying Brady wouldn't have done the same thing with the rookies had Welker stayed and in fact none of the articles suggest it either.
    TO., from all the reports I’ve read and watched when we signed him. They all list Amendola as being 2 inches taller that Wes, they also rated him to be faster and to provide a better outside option at times. But I don’t care about that, because I said in this thread months ago before free agency started, that I didn’t want to sign Amendola. I didn’t want another Welker 2.0. I’m fed up with runty slot receivers and it’s not the first time I’ve said that./quote]

As for this they are an inch the difference and Welker is heavier by about 10 pounds but just look at the two of them when they arent wearing Pads. Welker is definitely bulkier and Welker has proven already he is more robust anyways.

Ok so he is overated because Pats fans miss him? Ok got you.
    Come on, that’s not what I said earlier, I think some fans saw him as the be all and end all. “OH God, Wes is gone, what are we going to do?” And no I’m not attributing that quote to you o.k.
    For the last few season what has Brady had to depend on? 2 Tight ends and a Slot WR. 1 of those Tight ends is injured and the other is in Jail. Amendola then replaces the slot. So Brady now realises like any good QB would that he now needs to find other targets and the coaches know the exact same thing. If you really think Welker leaving is the reason for it I don't think there is anything I can say that will change your mind.
    Brady has no say on who to draft, Brady has no say on who to sign. Our lack of replacements for Moss had nothing to do with Brady. Brady’s reliance on Welker developed because apart from out TE’s, there was nobody else for him to go to. And that was the problem. Welker leaving, Gronks health issues when we always need him the most, Llyod not doing what was hoped of him. And of course, our dismal performance in the AFC championship game. Yes they are all factors for a change in focus this season.
    Brady is no idiot though and since Moss left I am sure he knows now more than most that developing these rookies especially the outside guys is imperative now he has limited options and would like to have that deep threat again.
    There’s no doubt the AFC Championship game was the eye opener for Brady and the Coaches. No Gronk yet again and Welker not doing much with his space being stifled by the Ravens.
    Amendola or Welker it makes no difference as soon as Hernandez was going to jail that focus then shifted to who the fook else will catch footballs with Gronk still injured. and I would put any amount of money on it Bill and Tom sat down and came to a quick decision of lets make sure we rep these rookies and make sure we get a rapport going or hit the FA and look for outside guys who could be serviceable. Lucky for the Pats right now it seems the rookies have stepped up to the plate.
    Apart from Sims, we had all those rookies on board by early May. Long before Hernandez ever went to jail so you can’t attribute their development on him going to jail. We tried the FA market before and we’ve seen how poor the return we got from it. It took them long enough to realise that though imo. Their drafts made it clear what their focus was and thankfully for once, it wasn’t going to be JAGs.
    Any coach will tell you that you have to work with what you have and unfortunately for us Pats fans at times Welker became all too dependable as did Gronk and Hernandez due to us having no options outside.
    Yes, we stuck with what we had, we had no deep threat. A pattern emerged and it really hurt us when it mattered.
    Bill was basically working with what he had at the end of it all.
    I don’t agree with that, he’s the man who created what we had. He allowed the gap to occur after Moss left, so it’s on him.
    I actually wouldn't be surprised if Josh reminded him that looking at X and Y type WR in the draft and FA might not be a bad idea to advance our passing game again.
    Maybe he did, but thank fúck someone had an epiphany.
    What it comes down to is Brady going to Welker because all of his options were slim for the most part especially on the outside. Welker was also only part of the problem. Gronk and Hernandez became far too much of a focus also so much so when they were injured it hurt us in the sense they were no longer a target on the field and that Welker then became the main focus again.
    Yes I largely agree with that, the lack of reliability with our TE’s gave Welker more attention at times. He can’t be blamed for that of course. But top defenses snuffed it out.
    So if Welker is overrated so is Amendola and the slot is not the problem. It actually comes down to our coaching staff depending on Welker, Gronk and Hernandez and not fixing the outside guys since Moss left.
    Yes, I said we never replaced Moss or had an alternative deep/outside threat replacements. The problem with the slot was our predictable over reliance on it in times of crisis.
    As I said I 100% disagree with you saying Brady wouldn't have done the same thing with the rookies had Welker stayed and in fact none of the articles suggest it either.
    Old habits die hard and if Welker didn’t leave or Gronks health start to raise eyebrows. There is no way we would have such a group of young receivers chomping at the bit right now. I also think Brady’s age might have played a big factor. He’s not getting any younger, so it was time to try and get some young talent in and develop them before it was too late.
    As for this they are an inch the difference and Welker is heavier by about 10 pounds but just look at the two of them when they arent wearing Pads. Welker is definitely bulkier and Welker has proven already he is more robust anyways.
    I don’t care about who’s what tbh, I just want to see less importance on the slot for a change. Because if Gronk is injured yet again, it might be nice to have some WR’s on the field who will keep a defense honest. Instead of reverting back to a slot target like we have for so long.

Brady has no say on who to draft, Brady has no say on who to sign. Our lack of replacements for Moss had nothing to do with Brady. Brady’s reliance on Welker developed because apart from out TE’s, there was nobody else for him to go to. And that was the problem. Welker leaving, Gronks health issues when we always need him the most, Llyod not doing what was hoped of him. And of course, our dismal performance in the AFC championship game. Yes they are all factors for a change in focus this season.

I never said Brady controls who we draft. I was talking about finding targets on the field. And the rest of this quote is exactly what I said above.
    Apart from Sims, we had all those rookies on board by early May. Long before Hernandez ever went to jail so you can’t attribute their development on him going to jail. We tried the FA market before and we’ve seen how poor the return we got from it. It took them long enough to realise that though imo. Their drafts made it clear what their focus was and thankfully for once, it wasn’t going to be JAGs.

Yes we did have them back in May but camp was really the only time they really got tested, the OTAs wouldn't have shown much other than fitness and basic ability and drills. And mini camp would have been the coaches starting to get an idea of who goes where and what they give and what they can do. Full camp is where Brady and the rookies would have worked more together and started to gel and develop and Hernandez wasn't there. I also never attributed their development to Hernandez going to jail. I said it ultimately became one of the reasons.
    I don’t agree with that, he’s the man who created what we had. He allowed the gap to occur after Moss left, so it’s on him.

What? I wasn't saying Bill was or wasn't at fault here. Just pointing out the fact that he was working with what he had. Why he didn't fix the problems is anybodies guess and something we all knew was an issue. But don't read too far into what I wrote.
    Yes, I said we never replaced Moss or had an alternative deep/outside threat replacements. The problem with the slot was our predictable over reliance on it in times of crisis.

Exactly not having an outside threat made us fall on the slot which in the end had nothing to do with Welker. And this is where we come along at a point and disagree that you say Welker would have stumped rookie growth and I disagree because those rookies are now part of a solution that everyone including the coaching staff knows and Brady. I am 100% with or without Welker/Amendola those rookies would have gotten the same time and work.
    Old habits die hard and if Welker didn’t leave or Gronks health start to raise eyebrows. There is no way we would have such a group of young receivers chomping at the bit right now. I also think Brady’s age might have played a big factor. He’s not getting any younger, so it was time to try and get some young talent in and develop them before it was too late.

See now Im lost now are you saying Brady would have just settled on Welker and not developed the rookies because of the old habit?

Tom Brady and Bill Belichick are the best Coach QB combo in the NFL and all of us Pats fans can agree on that and I guess we are done here because I don't think the Pats and Bill and Tom are that naive to continue falling on Welker as the solution had he stuck around or that the Patriots and Bill and Tom wouldn't put the same effort in developing the rookies as they have with any rookie or player in years gone past had Welker stuck around. There is absolutely no correlation in my mind of us not fixing the outside threat and keeping Welker especially after drafting and signing some potentially talented rookies.

Any NFL team will try develop and get the best out of any rookie no matter who they are. Sure QBs have their favourites but it does not mean for 1 second that a regular NFL Coach or QB wont help develop potential starters. Especially the Patriots and Tom Brady.

Yes we did have them back in May but camp was really the only time they really got tested, the OTAs wouldn't have shown much other than fitness and basic ability and drills. And mini camp would have been the coaches starting to get an idea of who goes where and what they give and what they can do. Full camp is where Brady and the rookies would have worked more together and started to gel and develop and Hernandez wasn't there. I also never attributed their development to Hernandez going to jail. I said it ultimately became one of the reasons.

My point remains that they were recruited long before the Hernandez situation ever developed. The WR’s we drafted highlighted to me, what the intentions were going to be for 2013. There was a clear move towards larger, bigger body receivers who provide the wide/deep option. All these guys were regarded as very smart ball players, so for the first time ever I felt Bill really focused on this area. Of course he has targeted individual young WR’s in the past, but never on such a scale or with such a priority. Last year we also had one of the oldest age profiles for a receiving corp in the NFL. Now that has been dramatically reversed.
    What? I wasn't saying Bill was or wasn't at fault here. Just pointing out the fact that he was working with what he had. Why he didn't fix the problems is anybodies guess and something we all knew was an issue. But don't read too far into what I wrote.

O.k. fair enough we agree on that then.
    Exactly not having an outside threat made us fall on the slot which in the end had nothing to do with Welker. And this is where we come along at a point and disagree that you say Welker would have stumped rookie growth and I disagree because those rookies are now part of a solution that everyone including the coaching staff knows and Brady. I am 100% with or without Welker/Amendola those rookies would have gotten the same time and work.

I have said all along I’m not blaming Welker for something that was beyond his control. He was only doing his job. The problem for me was, we had him doing it too much. The rookies are now finally, finally part of the solution. But I’m not going to change my view, that it should have happened sooner rather than later. Welker’s presence in my mind delayed this transition.
    See now Im lost now are you saying Brady would have just settled on Welker and not developed the rookies because of the old habit?
    I don’t know why you’re lost. I said that with Gronk down and with Welker gone. Brady has developed this crop of receivers like never before. Now if Welker had of stayed and Gronks dependability wasn’t a concern. Then there is no way we would have 4/5 rookies going into the season.
    Tom Brady and Bill Belichick are the best Coach QB combo in the NFL and all of us Pats fans can agree on that and I guess we are done here because I don't think the Pats and Bill and Tom are that naive to continue falling on Welker as the solution had he stuck around
    Best combo around? I’ll take that further and say probably all time. Welker was moved on because they finally copped on. And although they recruited Amendola, which to reiterate once again, I never wanted to see happen. They at least had the good sense to take on a whole crop of dynamic young receivers.
    the Patriots and Bill and Tom wouldn't put the same effort in developing the rookies as they have with any rookie or player in years gone past had Welker stuck around. There is absolutely no correlation in my mind of us not fixing the outside threat and keeping Welker especially after drafting and signing some potentially talented rookies.

But my point all along remains, we have never, ever during the Belichick era, put the sheer amount of work and effort into developing such a crop of rookies like we did this summer. And course it has everything to do with Welker not being here and with Gronk not being dependable when we really need him. How can you suggest otherwise? I mean apart from Branch, Belichick’s record for developing rookie WR’s hasn't been great. But in fairness to him it is something he never really gave a serious priority to until this year.
    Any NFL team will try develop and get the best out of any rookie no matter who they are. Sure QBs have their favourites but it does not mean for 1 second that a regular NFL Coach or QB wont help develop potential starters. Especially the Patriots and Tom Brady.
    But we haven’t been seriously developing young rookies until this year. Nope, up until now, we were hanging onto the likes of Branch or Stallworth and what did that do for our rookie development? Absolutely nothing. Up until now, our record speaks for itself. Rookies have never had much of a chance during the Belichick era. This year was a watershed year thankfully, when that all changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

How many receptions you think Edelman will have tonight? I'm hoping he is going to play a bigger part than people think.

This time last year he started the season getting Welker's reps. Then his usual injury jinx kicked in. If he had of proved himself to be durable, then we might not have ever needed to sign Amendola. It's hard to know how many reps he'll get now and he certainly shouldn't be overlooked. But I think they'll first of all want to consolidate the Brady-Amendola connection. Many think that Boyce will cover Amendola if he goes down, but that conveniently overlooks Edelman. I think some people (not in this forum) think he's no longer on the team. Sorry for the ramble there but it's hard to know. But I absolutely agree with you when you say, he'll probably get moe reps than people think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Hey lads, coverage of internet is crap on hols.

What channel is the pats game on, is it on sky? Its the 630 game right?

Just want to be able to ask in the local bar if they can show it...

Thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

No Pats game isnt on

Its Saints/Falcons and Packers/9ers

BKWDR wrote: »
    Hey lads, coverage of internet is crap on hols.

What channel is the pats game on, is it on sky? Its the 630 game right?

Just want to be able to ask in the local bar if they can show it...

Thanks

Jaysus lad you have the time wrong as well. The Kick Off is at 6:00pm and that's GMT (Irish & U.K time). The next game is then on straight after the first at 9:00pm. So wherever you are, make sure to factor in the time difference.

• Advertisement

I see Dobson is listed down with a hamstring injury and I don't think he even travelled. Great start kid.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

On the bright side, Kenbrell Thompkins could feature.

He should feature alright and I would be really surprised if he doesn't. Would love to see him light it up with Brady today. I'm also pretty excited to see what Jones will do today and of course my own favourite and the often overlooked - Ninkovich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭CJC86

I have both Thompkins and Sudfeld starting on my fantasy team, so I predict big things for Amendola and Ridley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Interesting to see how Sudfeld and thompkins go. Will Sudfeld have much of a role when Gronk is back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Best combo around? I’ll take that further and say probably all time. Welker was moved on because they finally copped on. And although they recruited Amendola, which to reiterate once again, I never wanted to see happen. They at least had the good sense to take on a whole crop of dynamic young receivers.

Which is why Brady was apparently furious that the Pats let Welker go after he restructured his contract?

And Welker was moved on? You do know we offered him a contract?

matthew8 wrote: »
    Interesting to see how Sudfeld and thompkins go. Will Sudfeld have much of a role when Gronk is back?

I don't see why he shouldn't tbh. Just imagine Gronk, mini-Gronk (Sudfeld's nickname apparently) Thomkins and Amendola lining up on a play. Now what a mouth watering prospect that would be.

Masked Man wrote: »
    And Welker was moved on? You do know we offered him a contract?

Are you being serious or sarcastic there? Do you think I don't know about the Welker contract?

In 2012 we offered Welker $16 million and he wanted $21 million. Welker agreed to a two-year, $12 million contract with the Broncos on the second day of free agency.The Patriots last offer to Wes was for two years and $10 million. But the Pats contract was actually loaded with a lot of incentives that could have increased it to $16 million. So he actually got a better contract from us, but with just less up front.

He overrated his own value and the FA market proved that. There was bad blood from 2012 and there was bad blood when Edelman started the season last year by getting his reps. Then it was capped off by his agents - David Dunn and Brian Murphy from Athletes First. It's wasn't the first time we had contract problems involving those two. Now I'm done talking about this, do what you want, but I've had my fill of talking about Welker. He's gone, he's now irrelevant to the team. I'm looking forward to the season and not back into the past.

• Advertisement

I'm still not sure how we moved Wes on? Seems like he moved on and we're dealing with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement