Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Why did they visit AH before the ball game?

1378657996000-hernandez.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

infacteh wrote: »
    Brandon Lloyd might be getting a phone call tomorrow.......

That would be a mistake imo. We need to persevere with these rookies. If they can iron out some of their basic mistakes in the next couple of games, then it will be worthwhile.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

that was a poor performance, but at least we got the win.

On the overall scheme of things, I thought Brady did well, as we'd expect. Amendola showed well, but also showed he'll be injured a lot. Edelman really stood up and was counted, as did Vereen when he got his chance.

Amendola made some really good courageous catches at critical points. He caught a lot of ball down the seam, and wasnt afraid going into the middle and getting the hits, like Wes did.

Edelman was similar, but he showed that Brady has his go to guys in redzone territory, and players he has chemistry with. He did well on his punt returns too.

Vereen looked awesome on some of his carries. He broke for a lot of yardage and made some really good 10+ yard runs. The one at the end where he looked like he was going to be stopped for a significant loss, but turned the corner and got the first down and more was huge. His passing ability makes him a great option too.

O line did well, as expected. Still a few things to iron out, but in the most part they kept Brady safe and created space for Vereen.

As for the bad end of things.
    Defence was average. Against a rookie QB, they looked all at sea at times. The TD where Talib and Gregory (I think) stood looking as to who blew the coverage. I didnt think we got any rush on Manuel. Too many of our defence were non factors, and it was more the ineffectiveness of the Bills, rather than a defensive presence was what stopped them.

Thompkins, after a good preseason, really stood out as being a rookie. AMde some very basic errors, but he'll learn. Not getting the foot down in bounds after a sideline catch, running out of room at the back of the end zone, giving up on a redzone play, just some very basic stuff that he needs to learn very quickly.

Ridley, benched after his second fumble (first one not given). But even up to then he didnt look like he had any spark in him. Which is worrying. Benching him was the right call, so hopefully he'll come back better from it.

Tight ends were a non factor. I can only remember Sudfield being thrown to once, and Hooman making one catch. When a major part of our offensive tactics are inneffective, we need other areas to step up. And only for our dual slot receivers, which arguably is the same as our tight end tactic, then we would have been stuffed.

Lucky enough to get the win. Bradys fumble on the goal line, Ridleys fumble near the red zone returned for a TD to them, we had so many opportunites to seal the win and be comfortable, but I hope its just opening day cobwebs and things will settle down. If not, we are in for a long season, and a short, if any, post season.

So many mistakes yesterday alright, but now is the time to be doing them and hopefully we can iron them out. I think when we all saw Amendola hobbling we probably did a collective rolls eyes. But fair play to him he really toughed it out in the second half and made some fine catches especially on the game winning drive.

Edelman did a fine job also for us yesterday. I think no one questions his talent. But if he can keep durable this year and continues to play like that, then he will deserve a nice contract for himself.

An uncharacteristic fumble from Brady cost us a scoring opportunity. But he was totally clutch on his game winning drive. He had a few head scratching moments with the rookies but that is to be expected.

Weird to have virtual no use of our TE's and I really hope we address that in our next game. Yes a pass went through Sudfelds hands for the Int, but he did have a slip which I think threw him off. He needs to be targeted more and he needs to make mistakes to learn from them if need be. Due to our TE shortage, Hooman really was restricted to in-line blocking duties all day.

I missed the first Ridley fumble but saw the second one. His slip was pivotal, but his ball security lost it. I suppose in his defense, it would probably be a lot worst if a tackle caused the fumble. A pity, because he was running so well before that spanner hit the works.

Vereen was immense, he will have a huge role this year, I just pray he stays healthy. Whenever he senses an opponent/tackle coming in, he always wraps both his arms securely around the ball. It's a fundamental a lot of RB's often forget about, so I love when I see a player doing it. His ball security yesterday was just excellent.

Bruschi was spot on about Thompkins and his rookie mistakes. The most notable was his issue with getting both feet in bounds alright. But as Bruschi said, it is basic stuff and he should iron it out hopefully. We've been hearing reports all during camp and I even saw him do it in a preseason game. Where Thompkins was correcting other rookies and realigning them at the line of scrimmage. Yesterday, he actually ran into Amendola on a red zone route. So I just think the kid was jus a bag of nerves, first game under his belt in a hostile environment will stand to him.

Gostkowski had a shaky start last season, so it was nice to see that he was rock solid yesterday when we needed him. The 48 Yard FG was particularly sweet. With our virgin offense this year, we could be needing a reliable boot quite a lot in 2013.

There was some positive play from our secondary at times and Arrignton made some real nice ball hawk plays in the game. But despite some positives, some of the old mistakes showed up.

Talib was burned badly on a TD where he had a totally misread. The last bills TD, where we actually had two guys in double coverage was a poor one to give up. All reminiscent of the weak secondary that has dogged us for years now.

Spikes having dehydration issues was real a weird one. He should be in game condition and that should not be happening. Some people have raised questions about him spending most of the off season and mini-camp down in Florida preparing away from the team. So whatever he was doing down there? It left him sorely lacking yesterday.

The D line did do a very good job restricting the Bills to only 3 first downs on their last 5 drives. That was a key piece of work which won us the game. But the most disappointing part of the D line for me was Chandler Jones. Yes he huffed and puffed but didn't bring the house down. He needs to be seriously tormenting teams like the Bills.

We're expecting big things of him this year. And if he really is going to make a big year 2 jump? Then he needs to be racking up sacks for us. He really is a key component and he needs to deliver for us big time this year. Overall our pass rush needs to really improve, to reduce our rival QB's pocket time and to take the pressure of our vulnerable secondary.

bruschi wrote: »
    As for the bad end of things.
    Defence was average. Against a rookie QB, they looked all at sea at times. The TD where Talib and Gregory (I think) stood looking as to who blew the coverage. I didnt think we got any rush on Manuel. Too many of our defence were non factors, and it was more the ineffectiveness of the Bills, rather than a defensive presence was what stopped them.

I thought the Defense was decent. We only gave up 14pts on defense away from home to a team that were pumped up on opening day. The Bills put up 28 and 31 on us last season and 34 and 21 the season before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Vereen is out for a few weeks after breaking a bone in his wrist .

Sudfeld has a pulled hamstring.

me89 wrote: »
    Vereen is out for a few weeks after breaking a bone in his wrist .

Sudfeld has a pulled hamstring.

You have got to be kidding me.:(

You have got to be kidding me.:(

I wish I was, Vereen is going to be a big blow, I guess Washington will get some playing time now?

Just over the shock of that news. Week 1 - Vereen breaks wrist - Sudfeld does his hamstring(at least that explains why he didn't do much yesterday) - Amendola has a banjaxed groin. Oh yes and Dobson also has a hamstring injury.

I am reminded of what Gisele said about Tom after the SB - "He can't pass to himself you know."

The way things are going, he might very well have to. Only one fit TE on the roster, so I wonder will Fells now be coming back. Although even he was banged up before we even cut him.

I wish I was, Vereen is going to be a big blow, I guess Washington will get some playing time now?

Probably, he was projected to be a Vereen back up anyway, so let him now prove it. But it's also time to give Bolden the nod. Overall, I was pretty unimpressed by Blounts running yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,909 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ok the Vereen injury is not good but it looks like its only going to be a short term one.

I haven't said much about him but I have never been sold on Sudfeld, I think I'd prefer Hoomanawanui and Fells over him tbh. 7

Amendola came back on and played well, its hardly a major concern?

Finally Dobson was only questionable for this week so I'd imagine he can't be far away from recovering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Any word on Gronk?

eagle eye wrote: »
    Finally Dobson was only questionable for this week so I'd imagine he can't be far away from recovering.

Hamstring injuries can be very, very tricky if not managed correctly. They are usually graded on a scale from 1 - 3. A grade 1 usually just involves some tightness, you can walk fine and your gait isn't affected when walking. But the tightness and minor swelling will restrict you from operating at full speed. Average recovery is two - three weeks all going well. So I assume Dobson is falling with in this range then. Now Sudfeld also has a hamstring issue and again I hope they are cautions. If these things go wrong, you could be looking at months of niggling hamstring issues.

davyjose wrote: »
    Any word on Gronk?

Nothing really, his rehab has picked up, he's in full pads taking part in pad and block pad drills. But his reps are visibly less intense than the rest of the team. I'll be very surprised if he's back before week 4. And if they hold him back beyond that (which I think they won't) then that would be probably prudent. But right now and all going well, I'd say week 4 is feasible. Anything sooner than that would worry me.

So we worked out Andre Carter today and yet Jake Bequette didn't play one snap yesterday. Doesn't bode well for him if he's dressed to play, gets no snaps and they're looking a Carter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭CJC86

Wow, I thought our offense was fast last year. This Eagles O is incredible.

CJC86 wrote: »
    Wow, I thought our offense was fast last year. This Eagles O is incredible.

Who you think bb got the offense from :)

Bill and Chip have have had a very close relationship for many years now. It's a friend/student/mentor back and forth relationship, they regularly pick each others brains.

Iv No doubt he's helped chip translate to the nfl

Iv No doubt he's helped chip translate to the nfl

We had great joint practices together during preseason, Chip and Bill were shoulder to shoulder every day. Everyone knows Bill is a life long student of the game. The fact that he has so much respect for Chip, shows how high he regards him.

• Advertisement

We had great joint practices together during preseason, Chip and Bill were shoulder to shoulder every day. Everyone knows Bill is a life long student of the game. The fact that he has so much respect for Chip, shows how high he regards him.

ya i remember them brady destroyed us our cbs where hopeless good learning experience though

No doubt there will be joint practices again next year.

No doubt there will be joint practices again next year.

wouldnt mind it at all

More bad news.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 11m #Patriots WR Danny Amendola, who turned in a gutty 104-yard performance in the opener, is almost certain to miss the Jets game, source says

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

More bad news.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 11m #Patriots WR Danny Amendola, who turned in a gutty 104-yard performance in the opener, is almost certain to miss the Jets game, source says

Possibly the least surprising injury report of the year. My heart goes out to Amendola, such a talent n seems a genuine decent guy. Really hope its only small knock as I want him to succeed

We all seen how Amendola was hobbled in the first half last Sunday. Gutsy of him to play through the pain barrier in the second half. But this is the price we now pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Being reported now:
    New England Patriots wide receiver Danny Amendola is almost certain to miss Thursday night's game against the New York Jets game due to a groin injury, although it is too early to rule him out, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Ed Werder.

So there is a chance he might kit up it seems.

Wow our perfectly health receivers at this point will be:
    Hoomanawanui, Michael
    Boyce, Josh
    Edelman, Julian
    Thompkins, Kenbrell

:eek:

Anybody think Sims will get a call up?

There is supposed to be scattered thunderstorms on Thursday night also making catching the ball even more difficult.

Can anybody say run game?

Hazys wrote: »

Wait for it..........wait for it..............I think he's injured.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Hazys wrote: »
    Wow our perfectly health receivers at this point will be:
    Hoomanawanui, Michael
    Boyce, Josh
    Edelman, Julian
    Thompkins, Kenbrell

:eek:

There is supposed to be scattered thunderstorms on Thursday night also making catching the ball even more difficult.

Can anybody say run game?

Dobson is expected to play Thursday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement