Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Wait for it..........wait for it..............I think he's injured.:(

Fcuking hell!

TO. wrote: »
    Dobson is expected to play Thursday.

I doubt he'll be 100% tho.

Can we bring back Chad Jackson?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Hazys wrote: »
    I doubt he'll be 100% tho.

Can we bring back Chad Jackson?

Dude, you're forgetting, the last time he ran a route for the Pats he ended up lost in some car park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Vereen on IR with designation to return :(

Out for 8 weeks. Bloody hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

And early reports suggested it was just a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,909 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Somebody like Kevin Smith might be a nice little pickup for the weeks that Vereen is out, he was always a good runner and good out of the backfield. Injuries have always been the problem with him but if you are bringing him in with the intention of cutting him as soon as Vereen returns then you could do a lot worse. He has bailed out the Lions a couple of times over the last two seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Sims re-signed from practice squad and TE Milligan and DL Francis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Good to get the injuries out of the way early, here's to a full, healthy squad in January!

infacteh wrote: »
    Good to get the injuries out of the way early, here's to a full, healthy squad in January!

We can only hope so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Going to be another big night for Edelman! What would the order of WRs be with Amendola out?

• Advertisement

Depends on who is available. Most likely Edelman in the slot, Dobson at flanker and Thompkins at split end with Boyce as the primary backup. I refuse to believe that Amendola is definitely out though because Belichick doesn't give out that information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

With a groin the Pats might well be better to let him heal up or it's only going to mean a longer absence down the road. Any chance of Boyce taking over for Thompkins giving his poor outing the last day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I would be against big chopping and changing with the receivers*, they will need time to gel and settle in real game situations.

*too much

Tristram wrote: »
    With a groin the Pats might well be better to let him heal up or it's only going to mean a longer absence down the road.

That would be the wise thing to do alright. Groins injuries can be pesky little feckers once you start re aggravating them. And depending on the specific area affected. Continuing to play through the problem, can lead to a much worse problem - IGH - an inguinal hernia. Now that will need surgery, so you are talking about a lengthy lay off. They need to be careful and not push Amendola.

Any chance of Boyce taking over for Thompkins giving his poor outing the last day?

I think Thompkins needs to play, he needs to learn. No point in benching him for rookie mistakes. We have invested a whole offseason and summer with these kids. So we need to persist with them, there is no other way they will learn. I have no doubt if we take some short term pain. Then we are really going to reap long term gain.

With the rash of injuries hitting the team, here's something on a lighter note.

Sign spotted at the Bills game on Sunday...

646Ywx.jpg

Pity he's not playing tomorrow night, but I also came across this....

8digpL.jpg

With a groin the Pats might well be better to let him heal up or it's only going to mean a longer absence down the road. Any chance of Boyce taking over for Thompkins giving his poor outing the last day?

Thompkins has potential but he made a lot of rookie mistakes, all of which from what I can see are fixable (some seemed like nerves): don't run out of the endzone, don't forget your route, you have to get two feet in bounds & when you cut back, don't coast, SPRINT!

Brady threw to him 14 times, he caught 4. He was nearly always open but his rookie mistakes cost him from making more catches. If he fixes half those problems this week, he could have 7/8 catches against the Jets.

I'd be more worried if Brady didn't throw at him, that would be a sign that he was well covered and couldn't get separation...which is rarely something you can fix.

I still believe the future is very bright for Thompkins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I hope thompkins can turn it around tomorrow.

He was the story out of preseason, but against the bills he let himself down.

Worst example I think was 4th quarter, in the redzone, down by 4 points, 3rd down, and he ran into edelman on the goal line....
    Result; Brady had no options, got sacked, settled for a FG.

Had it not been for Gostkowski making it at the end, that play could've cost the win.

I reckon he will shake it off. So far as many have said it seemed to be big game nerves and fook ups letting him down. Id say since Sunday Bill and Josh and Tom and Receiver Coach O'Shea they have settled him down and worked with him and the other WR. Hopefully the big time nerves are gone now and he fires on all cylinders.

I reckon he will shake it off. So far as many have said it seemed to be big game nerves and fook ups letting him down. Id say since Sunday Bill and Josh and Tom and Receiver Coach O'Shea they have settled him down and worked with him and the other WR. Hopefully the big time nerves are gone now and he fires on all cylinders.

I agree, he was a bag of nerves against the Bills. It's nothing that won't be ironed out. This kid is really hungry, he has got to where he is right now against all the odds. I have every faith in the kid and I have no doubt he will be a star for us.

Strong possibility that we could lose tonight, so might have to been putting up with this...

J-E-T-S..JETS-JETS-J....Hang on something is not right here?

7K3qLD.jpg

A strong possibility that Sanchez might have played his last snap as a jet. So with that in mind, here are some Photoshop's I created in his honor...

6tXJJJ.jpg

7iaPpT.jpg

• Advertisement

Is it 1am yet. Don't know why but I woke up confident the Pats will win tonight. Some Pats fans have written off this game as have some non Pats fans. It still is the Jets and they themselves were horrible in their opening game. Buccs inability to put someone on Winslow and Smith depending on him added with the fact a penalty helped them win gives me confidence that the Pats arent that bad. Right now our problem is rookies not doing their jobs properly. Hopefully they have gotten over the first game and know what they need to do.

Is it 1am yet. Don't know why but I woke up confident the Pats will win tonight. Some Pats fans have written off this game as have some non Pats fans. It still is the Jets and they themselves were horrible in their opening game. Buccs inability to put someone on Winslow and Smith depending on him added with the fact a penalty helped them win gives me confidence that the Pats arent that bad. Right now our problem is rookies not doing their jobs properly. Hopefully they have gotten over the first game and know what they need to do.

Offensively the Jets don't scare me at all. I think at worst they put up 14/17 points.

Its their defense and DL I'm worried about. If Amendola doesn't play, I think Rex will put Cromartie on Edelman and take Brady's top target out of the game so the passing game will rest on a bunch of rookie's shoulders. So I believe the game will be won by our OL trumping their DL and allowing our rushers to gain 4/5 yards a carry. I think our OL wins that one.

It will be a tough battle through 3 qtrs but I think in the 4th we pull away and win by 2 scores in the 4th. Brady's experience and skill will trump Geno's at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Looking forward to tonight!

Have taken amendola off my starting fantasy team after hearing he is doubtful.

Hazys wrote: »
    Offensively the Jets don't scare me at all. I think at worst they put up 14/17 points.

I agree right now their offense is worse than ours especially if we take Winslow out of the game as you know Geno will depend on him again.
    Its their defense and DL I'm worried about. If Amendola doesn't play, I think Rex will put Cromartie on Edelman and take Brady's top target out of the game so the passing game will rest on a bunch of rookie's shoulders.

I actually think this will be a good thing for the rookies. I would rather cromartie takes edlemen out of the game and leaves Thompkins alone. The less Thomkins has to worry about the better. If he is marked out of the game he is a bigger issue in our passing game.
    So I believe the game will be won by our OL trumping their DL and allowing our rushers to gain 4/5 yards a carry. I think our OL wins that one.

I agree our oline need to win this battle. I think Ridley though has a point to prove and will pound it out tonight. I know a lot dont like him but I think Blount could be huge for us tonight also.
    It will be a tough battle through 3 qtrs but I think in the 4th we pull away and win by 2 scores in the 4th. Brady's experience and skill will trump Geno's at the end of the day.

I agree. If we put the pressure on the Rookies shoulders I think we will win the game. As I said though I dont think the Jets have really much to offer right now either.

Jets first play tonight

jets+quarterbacks.JPG

The Jets will offer much better defense that the Bills did. I'm not going to be cocky and say oh it's in the bag. Especially when you see our uncharacteristic turnovers against the Bills, nearly costing us the game. And at a time when we should have really been putting them away.

The rookies are really into the deep end now. But lets hope we can look back later in the season at these first few weeks and maybe see how it helped their development. Big pressure on Ridley now to step up and deliver. He was running so well against the Bill before those boo boos. Let's hope he can put it behind him, because we need him as our workhorse again this season.

On of the most notably things about our defense on Sunday. Was how we totally neutralised C.J. Spiller. He can do a lot of damage and I was impressed by how much we shut him down. Bill likes to close key play-makers out of a game and on Sunday it worked a treat. Hopefully we can do the same tonight.

With the run threat Smith offers, I don't think we'll see many blitz packages tonight. I'd say they'll do just enough to pressure the pocket but not force him out of it and into a damaging run.

Overall, I'm expecting to see more hiccups on offense, but if there's also notable progress, then I can live with that. I expect Gostkowski's to be very important to us this season. So hopefully he can keep the form that he showed last Sunday.

I think we win this tonight, stopping their run game is key imo and we have the players to do that.

I too expect a big game from Ridley and I like Blount as well. Something tells me we are going to see a different and better Patriots offense tonight to the one we seen last Sunday. There will have been a lot of work put in this week and you can be sure there has been fires lit under a few backsides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Even if the Jets are weak the rivalry alone will make them fight hard.

Looking forward to it.

Bad news regarding Amendola, could miss 2-6 weeks: https://twitter.com/nflnetwork/status/378284904338817024

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Even if the Jets are weak the rivalry alone will make them fight hard.

Looking forward to it.

Bad news regarding Amendola, could miss 2-6 weeks: https://twitter.com/nflnetwork/status/378284904338817024

I think Edelman is every bit as good as Amendola. Obviously it still hurts the patriots not having him available especially combined with the other injuries.

• Advertisement

I think Edelman is every bit as good as Amendola. Obviously it still hurts the patriots not having him available especially combined with the other injuries.
    Edelman is a really special player in his own right but the problem he has is the same as Amendola, he spends too much time in the treatment room. Hopefully that can change and if it does then we have another great one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement