Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

eagle eye wrote: »

Blaming the D is ludicrous and giving the average score for the Gaints is ridiculous because they struggled for a good part of that season. They put 35 points up against us in the last week of the regular season and almost stopped the unbeaten regular season. They went into the playoffs as no hopers but beat every team on the road and their lowest score was in the Superbowl in those playoffs.

First of all saying its ludacris is nonsense at the highest order. Also playoffs and superbowl scores and performances cannot be compared to the regular season and you should know this you have used that debate yourself in the past. And as Pats fans we should know that more than anything. Also if you look at the post I put up on the Pats average scoring in all 5 years of bowl appearances in the playoffs the scoring was similar all the way through bar 1 game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,912 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

TO. wrote: »
    First of all saying its ludacris is nonsense at the highest order. Also playoffs and superbowl scores and performances cannot be compared to the regular season and you should know this you have used that debate yourself in the past. And as Pats fans we should know that more than anything. Also if you look at the post I put up on the Pats average scoring in all 5 years of bowl appearances in the playoffs the scoring was similar all the way through bar 1 game.
    I totally agree we should not use regular season scores. The last game of the season is relevant though. The Patriots wanted to win it and so did the Giants.
    The other games I mention are the playoff games.

I totally agree we should not use regular season scores. The last game of the season is relevant though. The Patriots wanted to win it and so did the Giants.

So you shouldn't use regular season scores but only use those where both teams wanted to win? gotcha. I guess all the other games we played the other teams didn't want to win.

That last game is included in the no comparison thing as the playoffs and Bowl are a different kettle of fish.
    The other games I mention are the playoff games.

What the Giants other games in the playoffs? We are talking about 2007?

The Giants offense struggled even in the playoffs:

Tampa Bay W24-14
    Dallas W21-17
    Green Bay W23-20 OT

78-51 with an average of 26-17 excluding Bowl

New England W17-14

With Bowl 23.75 - 17 so a difference of 6.75 the difference.

The Tampa game was the only game were the out scored their opponent by more than 4 points. They were only a TD the difference between their other 3 playoff games and the Bowl. Hardly a prolific stop by our defense when you actually look at the numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

All that writing and its plain to see that you believe that the OL was the problem and you are right. They couldn't block for the run and they failed to protect Brady.

All the reading and you seemed to have missed my point I also made about our defense. To save repeating myself I'll just quote a summary of what for me, sums up our SB losses.
    Now while some blame the entire offense, I only blame the offensive line. Any offense will misfire when a QB is tormented in the pocket.

Then our D could not do the same job against the Giants and that's the simple fact. For me the O line and defense must share the blame in our losses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Sudfield has been released. So much hype for him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Keno wrote: »

Damn, i thought he had potential...fingers crossed he makes it to the practice squad.

Silver lining is that probably means Gronk is back!

gronkwalk.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I really hope that means that Gronk is back.

Hard to believe that the Sudfield we saw in the reg-season was the Sudfield we saw in pre-season. Never seemed to get open, drops, no big plays....
    I know the pre-season isn't the greatest barometer, but even so, big disappointment.

Vince has gone on injured reserve.

Not surprised looked great in pre-season and looked like a keeper but then failed to take his chance in regular season then got injured. As the others said Gronk must be on the cards to come back either this weekend or next.

Love to know how many times Sudfeld was actually targeted. He didn't do anything but he didn't seem to be the field much. Looking further ahead for offensive needs at the 2014 draft. We need to be looking for a young talented TE that will line up with Gronk. Would be nice to rebuild our Boston TE party 2.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Love to know how many times Sudfeld was actually targeted. He didn't do anything but he didn't seem to be the field much. Looking further ahead for offensive needs at the 2014 draft. We need to be looking for a young talented TE that will line up with Gronk. Would be nice to rebuild our Boston TE party 2.0.

He just never seemed to be able to get open for some reason, pity because he looked so good in pre-season, I think he will make it back to our practice squad.

I guess it's GRONK time. Wooo!!

• Advertisement

If Gronk is back Sunday, he better stay back. I wouldn't be bothered if they held him back until the Saints game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Sudfeld claimed by the Jets. Ugh.

Masked Man wrote: »
    Sudfeld claimed by the Jets. Ugh.

Just watch him get his **** together on the field and become a solid TE with them :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Gweedling

Corvus, I love you for Boston TE party.

Not surprised to see Sudfeld claimed, I thought it would be the Giants though. His locker was left untouched, so it looks like they were hoping he'd clear waivers and get to the practice squad. After his first couple of games, I was beginning to think next season might be a better time for him. Because he hadn't one catch this season and was looking a bit like a deer in the headlights. And the two Int's and a bad fumble on that on side kick, did him no favours at all.

Gronk has not travelled with the team, Amendola has. If Amendola does play, he better be 100% fit to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Gronk has not travelled with the team, Amendola has. If Amendola does play, he better be 100% fit to do so.

Gah have both them on dif FF teams...I need them back so I can drop a gear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Reports on twitter that Amendola will be back today. If true I'm amazed given the injury. Hope he is 100%!

Tristram wrote: »
    Reports on twitter that Amendola will be back today. If true I'm amazed given the injury. Hope he is 100%!

With his type of injury, 6 weeks is always safe benchmark to aim for a initial return. He last played 4 weeks ago, so it is possible he is ready to go. But I prefer to err on the side of caution and give him more time. If he tweaks it again today, then you're talking about at least another 6 - 8 weeks on the sideline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭CJC86

With his type of injury, 6 weeks is always safe benchmark to aim for a initial return. He last played 4 weeks ago, so it is possible he is ready to go. But I prefer to err on the side of caution and give him more time. If he tweaks it again today, then you're talking about at least another 6 - 8 weeks on the sideline.

I have no medical background, so pardon my ignorance, but I thought they said that the muscle tore off the bone. If that's the case, how is there a chance he could tweak it again?

• Advertisement

CJC86 wrote: »
    I have no medical background, so pardon my ignorance, but I thought they said that the muscle tore off the bone. If that's the case, how is there a chance he could tweak it again?

I won't bog you down with detail here. But there is no way he could have suffered a inguinal or abductor separation. Because if he did, he's out for a minimum of 3 months. The fact that he's possibly playing today absolutely confirms this for me. No doubt you probably read that from some muppet that hasn't a clue. Because I was also reading similar reports after the initial injury.

Excellent job by the defense in the first half, limiting Cinci to just 3pts.
    Important INT in the red zone, and big stops before HT that led to 3pts.

Offense not returning the favour, looks like we have taken a step backwards. A lot of Brady's throws seem to show a lack a confidence in the WR's. I'll be happy if Brady gets at least 1 TD and keeps the streak going.

Punt punt punt:(

Tommy Kelly injured now

A really poor display by the offense.
    Defense did all they could, but it's tough when the offense only musters only 6pts.
    This team needs Gronk back big time.

Defense were brilliant,but worringly, once Kelly went out their run game really picked up. Losing Wilfork is massive, losing Kelly would be like getting a kick in the balls when you're on the operating table.

Offense was poor, you could nearly feel it in the bones in the first quarter that Brady would be losing his streak. Our WR's are dropping just way too many balls, it's just getting ridiculous.

That rain was atrocious and it really affected Brady. The commentators even said they never seen rain like it, still it's no excuse. The defense did more than their share to win that game.

I gave Edelman some stick in the game thread for that missed TD. It wasn't his fault, I was just pissed and it was actually a fine piece of defending. Put Gronk in there and the money's in the bag.

And that's a worry for me, when Gronk is back, we can not expect him to carry the offense. Because if that happens, he'll be crocked again before the playoffs.

I thought the offensive line were very poor at times today. Brady got way too many hits for my liking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Silver lining- last night Brady had only his 5th ever game with a QB rating below 50. The other 4 seasons he had such games, we went to the Superbowl. So at least it's not indicative of bigger problems for the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Disappointing lose. The win was there for the taking if the offense was anyway remotely effective. I was so pissed off after that game, i couldn't watch anymore football for the day.

I guess this game was an accident waiting to happen with the way our offense was playing all season (although the Falcons game had given me a false sense of optimism). Again, i'm going to revert back to it's still a huge learning curve for the rookie WRs and yesterday was a bump in the road, they couldn't even get open as like previous weeks to make their rookie mistakes. The Bengals secondary looked very good, i guess that's what you get from a Mike Zimmer defense, strong DL and DBs.

But i think the most troubling aspect of the offense is the play of Brady :eek: It was presumed that Brady is playing so averagely because his WRs suck but i'm beginning to think that Brady is playing so averagely because Brady is kinda sucking so far also (blasphemy! all mighty Lord Brady, forgive me, for I do not know what I am are doing). His accuracy is all over the place and he's missing open receivers through the first 5 games and my god (aka Brady) that 2 minute drive monsoon or no monsoon was the worst in the history of Brady.

But saying that, if there's anybody who's going to turn their performance around its going to be Tom Fcuking Brady. He can only get more comfortable with his WRs and his WRs can only get better, not to mention Gronk could should be back any week now.

4-1 any team would take that if you offered it to them before the season. So we are nowhere near panic stations. The defense looks awesome, one of the best in the league, we are top of our division, our offense shows flashes of potential and there is a lot of room for improvement and a lot of time left in the season to see that improvement.

Massive test coming up against the Saints tho...i see us losing this one but saying that BB never loses two games in a row.

• Advertisement

It'll be a huge test against the Saints.
    There's only so many stops the D can make. If we had the defense of previous years, or a tougher schedule, we could easily be 1:4.

But hey. It's a game that the offense stunk, and we only lost to a good team by 7pts. We should still be favored for the Div, and the Playoffs will provide an opportunity.

If Gronk does return, and plays like Gronk, I can see us winning against the Saints.
    Having his blocking and receiving abilities on the field is huge.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement