Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

53 yards to CIN 32 -- returned 3 yards by Jones
    49 yards to CIN 37 -- returned 10 yards by Jones
    44 yards to CIN 19 -- went out of bounds
    42 yards to CIN 15 -- returned 7 yards by Tate
    39 yards to CIN 7 -- no return, downed by Collins
    43 yards to CIN 9 -- no return, downed by Ryan
    43 yards to CIN 7 -- no return, downed by Aiken
    40 yards to CIN 9 -- no return, fair catch by Tate

Missing Zoltan a little less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,912 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I sort of expected this loss and I'm not at all worried about it. It wasn't just the rookie WRs last night, a lot of the offense had an off night and that includes Brady who had a stinker. This happens with Tom once in a blue moon and its not something to worry about at all.

Next up the Saints and that is another tough game and I'm not expecting anything from it. We expect to lose a few games every year but its hard to pick which ones we will lose. Right now I'd expect our second loss to be next weekend. We will then get back on track and reel off another four or five wins on the bounce I think.

Looking at the bright side of things, Aqib Talib is playing the best football of his career and has become for me the best CB in the league this year. Our linebackers are an impressive bunch lead by Jerod Mayo but everybody is doing a great job in that sector. Safeties are excellent too as are the other corners. You will see the odd blown coverage but overall its a hugely impressive group of players to this point. The DL is doing a top job too and I was hugely impressed by how we handled the loss of Wilfork last night, hopefully Kelly can stay fit as he is crucial to us now.

I'm staying positive anyways and I see no reason to look pessimistically at the future right now.

The DL is doing a top job too and I was hugely impressed by how we handled the loss of Wilfork last night, hopefully Kelly can stay fit as he is crucial to us now.

I had redzone on so didn't see the game but from reading around a bit I got the impression that we were pretty horrible against the run?

One guy said the running lanes were big enough that Wilfork could've ran in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

All I have to say about yesterdays loss is meh.

Our Dline did just an ok job in my eyes hit and miss at times. You could see the loss of Wilfork and Kelly when it came to their run game we really didn't do a great job stopping it at all.

Their only TD came from a run and even when they lost yards they got them back on the ground and then punched in said TD. Law Firm averaged 3.9 yards and 60 odd yards. Bernard 4.8 ypc and 62 yards and Andy Fooking Dalton 25 yard and 4.2 ypc. Marvin Jones had a carry for 8 yards also. 162 yds and an overall avg of 4.2 ypc carry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I expected the Bengals to be tough game and a loss wouldn't have surprised. But what did surprise me was the manner of the loss. Like the Giants in the past, the Ravens last season and the Lions in preseason. The Bengals defense just dominated our offense. The all important O line was pushed about all day and Brady played through a game with shyte pass protection. The Bengals put Brady on his ass at the start of the game and just never let up. All credit to them for being so effective. And yet again our O line gets shell shocked by a hard, tough, physical D. I'm just relieved Brady escaped the game without a serious injury tbh.

He was sacked, hit and knocked to the ground 12 times during the game. Not exactly the kind of circumstances any QB wants to face and then try and play properly. He made some bad plays during the game but being tormented in the pocket/or lack of a pocket will do that to any QB. Anyone who thinks that driving, blinding rain wasn't a factor. Well I suggest they go out and try it themselves, the next time a monsoon like downpour is passing through their area. Or if not, just watch the last 4 minutes of that 4th quarter. The ball was slipping & sliding out of Brady's hands and doing all sorts of weird shít.

It didn't help that the experienced wing of our receiving corp had three bad drops in the dying minutes of the game. Christ, they couldn't control the ball with gloves on both hands. Speaking of our receiving corp, every catch seems to be followed by a fumble during key plays. All of them yesterday and not just the rookies, had difficulty getting open for most of the game. I can't remember Brady having to throw so many balls away, there was just no one to throw to. He did miss a couple of open guys, but I'll forgive him for doing that since he had no O line protecting him.

Then we had some weird coaching calls yesterday. We ran the ball 12 times in the first half and averaged 5 yards a carry. Then in the second half we only ran the ball 6 times. I mean Brady was getting knocked about all day, so why in gods name would you close out the run game and then put him under even greater pressure? Yet looking back to the Falcons game, we go all run and make only 9 pass attempts in the first half.

The defense yesterday did a fantastic job. Mayo had a great game and Spikes had his best game of the season so far. Spikes has been hot and cold this year at times, but yesterday he was totally in the zone. Twice in the 4th quarter, the defense made big stops and handed the ball back to our offense. A half decent functioning offense would have finished the game off. My biggest concern right now is in the middle of our D line. If we lose Kelly for any period of time, then we are in big trouble. You could really see the noticeable improvement in the Bengals run game, once Kelly limped off the field yesterday.

The biggest defensive boo boo yesterday, was when we had the Bengals pegged back on their 2 yard line at 3 and 15 and they pull off a 28 yard pass to Jones and get the down. Of course, unsurprisingly it was Arrington who failed his assignment and gave up that play. Talib was pretty píssed about that play when he spoke about it later after the game. He was even blaming himself for it. That sums up the kinda guy he is and why he's such a fine CB. Somehow I doubt if Arrignton was so hard on himself even though it was his fault.

It's been a long time since I've seen a Pats defense carrying the entire team in games. And this offense really needs to pick it up now. The fact that we are so dependent on Gronk now shows how much our offense has fallen from grace. The Pats never built a team around one man, the foundation of the team is built upon every man doing job. A man goes down and the next man steps up and takes his place. But god forbid if we lose Gronk again, because we are fúcked if we do. And that really worries me. Yes we've had a lot of shít to deal with this year, but the NFL does not wait and it certainly doesn't do sob stories.

I can totally forgive our young rookies for the mistakes they have made and the mistakes they will make. Because that is to be expected. But when our QB is getting the shít knocked out of him in the pocket and the likes of Edelman and Amendola can't get open. Well that just ain't good enough. And our O line? Well they need to start standing up to tough hard hitting D lines, because every time we meet one, Brady is the one that suffers.

Barring an offensive miracle, I expect the Saints to beat us next Sunday. It will be a real big test for our secondary and it should tell us how good they really are right now. Excluding Talib of course because that guy is just a stud. I hope yesterday's offensive performance or lack of it. Serves as a real wake up call to the entire offense. This league doesn't give second chances,so they need to start getting into a groove.

• Advertisement

Gronk to play against Nola on Sunday according to the usual sources all over twitter and the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,912 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

TO. wrote: »
    Gronk to play against Nola on Sunday according to the usual sources all over twitter and the like.
    They can talk all they want but I won't believe anything either way until I hear the inactives on Sunday. As we all know BB always plays his cards close to his chest.

eagle eye wrote: »
    They can talk all they want but I won't believe anything either way until I hear the inactives on Sunday. As we all know BB always plays his cards close to his chest.

Maybe he will maybe he wont.

For me, any return before week 4 would have been a worry. But week 6 onwards is certainly more prudent, assuming an independent medical expert review gives him the all clear of course.

I see some thickos in the media are spewing about how it was a wasted roster spot not having Gronk on PUP. What they fail to realise is, if a player is on PUP, he cannot practice or get on the field until after week 6. Then throw in 3 weeks for them to actually be ready for a game day roster.

So even if the Pats did know all along, that Gronk wouldn't be back until week 6. It was a wise move, because he has got a couple of weeks of prep under his belt by now. Prep that he would only be starting next Monday, if he was coming off PUP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

I've taken him off the bench on FF guys so its as good as a sure thing :-)

Hopefully this makes the offence drop a gear :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Tough game on Sunday. Saints have been impressive so far.
    It's difficult to know what the Pats will be like.
    Will Gronk play, and if so, is he close to 100%?
    Will the rookies bounce back towards an up-curve of development, after a drop last week?
    Will Kelly be out there?
    Will Tom's accuracy (helped by less dropped passes) improve?
    And a big question, will the OL protect Tom and can we start running the ball when we need to run the ball?

Before the season started and anticipating our offensive difficulties. I thought we'd go 3 - 3 for the first six games. So the Falcons win was a nice bonus. But the Jets beating them really took the shine of our victory for me. Based on last week, I can't see us beating the Saints. Now it would be great if everything clicks into place and our offense executes perfectly. But that's a big ask imo. Our O line need to step up this Sunday, because last weeks performance was a one of the worst I've seen for many years. Brady was pressured, sacked and hit on a shocking 43% of all his drop backs. No QB can or will perform when an O line plays so badly. So they need to do their job.

It's a big test for our defense on Sunday. Facing a well oiled offense like the Saints, will really give us a good indication of where our defense is really at right now. It looks like Kelly could be out on Sunday because he hasn't practiced all weeks. But I hope I'm wrong, losing him softens our middle big time and we don't need that. There is still nothing clear on Gronk yet so it's a hard one to call. But here's a worrying thing, for the first time, I read on a site earlier that Gronk had an abscess infection in his forearm OP site. All along I assumed it was just a nasty Staph Aureus infection.

Now if that report of an abscess is true, then it is a big worry for one main reason. An abscess infection will in time, literally eat into and attack local bone tissue and can significantly weaken it. So recovery needs to be carefully measured in such a situation. Again if this abscess report is true, then I'd rather see him coming back in week 10 than right now. The final phase of bone healing called the remodeling phase, can last from 16-18 weeks. Right now Gronk is 20 weeks out from his last surgery. So those extra weeks may be enough. But I think we'd all rather see some excess caution being used here.

I do find it reassuring that doctors independent from the team, including the guy who performed the last surgery. Will make the final call on whether he plays or not. Here's one thing I'd like to add though. If I had any sort of role in the Pats organisation. I would have contacted NASA months ago to find out & get advice on a super strong, light & flexible material. That could be used for making personalised, precision moulded forearm protectors for Gronk. So if Gronk eventually returns to the field with no forearm protection present, than I will be very unimpressed. Because if Gronk breaks that same Ulna bone again, then that will be the end of his career. Hopefully no stone has been left unturned, to prevent that nightmare scenario from happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Here's one thing I'd like to add though. If I had any sort of role in the Pats organisation. I would have contacted NASA months ago to find out & get advice on a super strong, light & flexible material. That could be used for making personalised, precision moulded forearm protectors for Gronk. So if Gronk eventually returns to the field with no forearm protection present, than I will be very unimpressed.

Is this possible?

Tristram wrote: »
    Is this possible?

Absolutely yes. In fact you mightn't even need to go to the likes of NASA. Many high tech US body Armour manufacturers are now producing lightweight bullet proof vests that weight only 3lbs. You would talking about several companies brainstorming on an amalgamated solution here. From the likes of a PPE manufacture, to an NFL equipment supplier, right down to say the medical division of 3M.

Once he broke the arm the second time, I would have made that call and got a collaboration started. There's no excuse for not doing this imo. Gronk is our offensive centerpiece. No stone should be left unturned, in giving him the best opportunity to stay on the field for us. So when he does step out on to the field, I'm really interested to see what sort of elbow/forearm protection he will be wearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Wow, that is awesome.

Tristram wrote: »
    Wow, that is awesome.

It is and we can only hope that they have left no stone unturned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Gweedling

According to Patriots.com as of a few hours ago, status of Gronk is still "questionable" after having limited practise all week:
    Seems like every week we’re left to wonder will Rob Gronkowski play or not. Oh, that’s because every week we’re left to wonder whether Rob Gronkowski will play or not. Officially he’s once again listed as questionable to play against the Saints after being limited in practice all week due to his offseason back and left forearm surgeries. Reports last week indicated that Dr. James Andrews has been brought in to make the final call on when Gronkowski is cleared to play. Dr. Jesse Jupiter, who apparently did Gronkowski’s most recent forearm surgery, will also consult on the decision. Gronk himself has continued to be noncommittal in his comments with reporters. Put it all together, and no one seems to know when Gronkowski is going to return. What we all know is that the Patriots need him back. The team’s offense is tied for 23rd in points scored. The unit is 31st in the red zone. Gronkowski has averaged more than a touchdown per game over the previous two seasons. Even as a decoy and something the opposition has to deal with, Gronkowski’s return would have a huge trickledown effect to the rest of the unproven New England options. ESPN reported on Friday that the feeling in New England was less optimistic that Gronkowski would return against the Saints. If he’s not out there, that would be a big blow to the Patriots offensive chances of putting up points on a stingy Saints defense and keeping pace with Brees’ New Orleans offense.

Source: http://www.patriots.com/news/article-1/Patriots-vs-Saints-Pregame-Six-Pack/ef35d5d6-dc45-4639-8474-59106e1f40aa

Brady made a very interesting comment during the week which was directed at the receiving corp. He said they weren't making the plays that NFL players should be making. The final drive against the Bengals where Amendola, Blolden and Edelman made big drop came immediately to mind.

Brady made a very interesting comment during the week which was directed at the receiving corp. He said they weren't making the plays that NFL players should be making. The final drive against the Bengals where Amendola, Blolden and Edelman made big drop came immediately to mind.

Watching games over and over Brady has made some bad passes he would have made every time over the years and the commentators tonight have also pointed that out. 1st quarter to Edelman he threw it behind him, that one to Amendola just now was over thrown and he had the time and space to throw it. I think his own confidence is rattled due to having to deal with the lack of weapons.

TO. wrote: »
    Watching games over and over Brady has made some bad passes he would have made every time over the years and the commentators tonight have also pointed that out. 1st quarter to Edelman he threw it behind him, that one to Amendola just now was over thrown and he had the time and space to throw it. I think his own confidence is rattled due to having to deal with the lack of weapons.

I agree, there is a lack of confidence alright and maybe even a lack of faith on Brady's part. Just a pity that ball wasn't going to Dobson, because he would have the size to compensate for the catch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Can someone tell the D the second half has started, so many missed tackles

Big miss by Tom not connecting with Danny, and then we give up 7.
    OL continues to hurt us.
    Defense have done well so far (this is one of the best offenses in the league).
    We need another TD, Saints have the firepower to score at least 10 in this last 1/4.

Hell ya!!!!!!!!!!!
    Come on Pats!!!!!!!!

That's an escape, and then some.
    So much went wrong, yet we pull out the win.

We shouldn't forget the mistakes and some of the issues, but lets enjoy this big time, and moving to 5:1.

We're 5-1. That actually makes me laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Just wow

I love this team, I love this sport. Such excitement and exhilaration in the final few seconds! Makes it all worth while!

:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Really hadn't thought that was possible after the pick. Huge win!

Hope BB doesn't make mistakes like going for it in those situations again and trusts the D.

Just to thank everybody who was pivotal in that final push

Edelman, taking the risky catch over the middle and taking the hit
    Collie for making the catches to keep the drive going
    Dobson for getting dragged out of bounds to stop the clock
    Keenan Lewis for being that idiot who dragged Dobson out of bounds and played a huge part in his teams loss
    Thompkins for coming up big when the pressure was on
    Of course, the one and only Tom Brady deserves so much credit for taking the reins and driving us to victory.

Im going to focus only on the good tonight, the injury worries can wait till tomorrow

What a play!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Yowza!!!

/cantsleepnow

• Advertisement

Masked Man wrote: »
    We're 5-1. That actually makes me laugh.

With all our troubles in the off season, I was fully expecting to be 3-3 at this stage of the season. Tonight was one of our sweetest wins for a long time. To be 5-1 as the problems and injuries continue to build, is nothing short of remarkable. I can only hope all the lads who went off tonight will return quickly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement