Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Nice little stat tonight lads, Gostkowski breaks the franchise record with the most ever FG's over 50 yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

I Love this sport.

Not getting any sleep now:D

me89 wrote: »
    Not getting any sleep now:D

I have an early start in the morning heading for Dublin, but I'm fecking buzzing now. No chance of sleeping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

ku-xlarge.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

BWfwGtkCQAAcnge.jpg:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Hazys wrote: »
    ku-xlarge.gif

Me....

86zFj8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

me89 wrote: »
    BWfwGtkCQAAcnge.jpg:D:D:D:D

That's going to get a little spin as my desktop background :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

BWf64yKIgAATgYz.jpg

Got away with one guys ;)

BWf64yKIgAATgYz.jpg

Got away with what? Show us the play video, not a picture still. Anyway who gives a fúck. I could trawl through the game and come up with countless dodgy looking stills, which suggest decisions going against either team. No doubt if this was any other team thread, you wouldn't be getting sour grape bullshít like that posted in it. It's all very predictable. But it makes the win even sweeter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

BWf64yKIgAATgYz.jpg

As I said to someone else earlier if you get caught holding you are doing it wrong. As a lineman its your day when refs keep missing blatant holds and you keep doing it more and still haven't seen a flag. Keep going until you see yellow.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Got away with what? Show us the play video, not a picture still. Anyway who gives a fúck. I could trawl through the game and come up with countless dodgy looking stills, which suggest decisions going against either team. No doubt if this was any other team thread, you wouldn't be getting sour grape bullshít like that posted in it. It's all very predictable. But it makes the win even sweeter.

Got away with a hold, that avoided a sack on the game winning/ending play. Not in the least bit sour grapes. I couldn't care less if the Patriots win or lose (unless they're playing the packers). Simply highlighting the no call as a talking point.

patriotway_medium.gif

Got away with a hold, that avoided a sack on the game winning/ending play. Not in the least bit sour grapes. I couldn't care less if the Patriots win or lose (unless they're playing the packers). Simply highlighting the no call as a talking point.

patriotway_medium.gif

The key to this not getting called look where the UMP is. He cant see through the big bodies. This is why a lot of holding calls get missed. But if I was the oline coach I would be proud of that hold especially on a game winning play. :cool:

TBH that type of hold gets doesn't get called more times than it does get called. Its borderline.

Solder has his arms out in front of him and for the majority of the time he's engaging the front of the DE. The gif is in slo mo making it look worse, when in reality its only a split second he's doing something illegal.

Yes you could throw a flag on that for the split second he is holding, but if the umpires were that strict there, would be flags for holding on every play. I think no call was the right decision.

In the same clip, the DT momentarily has hands in Mankin's face, that wasn't called either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Have to say, I was impressed at times with the play of the 2 rookie d-linemen who were covering for Wilfork last night, Vellano and Jones.

They obviously weren't as physically dominant, but they both made some good plays based off of solid technique and good reads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

original.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Ugh. Wilfork, Mayo, Gronk and Talib.

That's 4 of our top 6 players gone down now. Tom and Mankins better wrap themselves in cotton wool.

kmart6 wrote: »
    original.gif

Doesn't exactly look great, but could be simple explanations for it of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

kryogen wrote: »
    Doesn't exactly look great, but could be simple explanations for it of course.
    I'm sure after a win like that, even if it was an issue, it's behind them now.

You have arguments with teammates all the time during the game, that's normal. There is also the remote possibility he didn't actually hear or see Tom due to the crowd noise, this was just after the score had gone 17-7 I take it?

It wouldn't trouble me at all, even if there was an issue, as long as they could make it work on the field. I highly doubt there is much to it however.

As an aside, I hope somebody slaps Julian after it though cause nobody does that to my Tom!

• Advertisement

Ok, had time to think about and review the game in my head.

First off, it's time to pay Talib. He was outstanding last night and shut down Graham. This is not a guy we want to lose.
    I was happy with how the defense performed last night. The first half was a dominant performance considering the opposition.
    The second half was worrying at times, but injuries began to take their toll. Even so, then stood up twice at the end of the game and came up with the INT (which the offense failed to take full advantage of).

The OL has got to start helping Tom a lot more. Can't keep giving up this amount of sacks and hits. If Tom doesn't come back up from one of those sacks, it's end of season.
    Drops. Drops. Drops. Tom isn't hitting his usual high standard, but drops are killing the offense at times. Dobson set the tone again with a terrible drop on the first play of the game.
    Good to see Ridley back and he had a few impressive runs, and two punch-ins.

Shame on the fans that left early. I'm glad they missed Tom do his thing again.

Finally, Tom's run for 11yards was ugly, but beautiful :)

Jets and Bills lose. It was a good weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

6umdyG7.gif

That's a viscous hit.

It was a good solid hit.
    Shoulder to shoulder, a little incidental head to head, but that always happens.

I was surprised it was a head injury when I saw it, was expecting him to be down due to a shoulder/collarbone injury.

It was a good solid hit.
    Shoulder to shoulder, a little incidental head to head, but that always happens.

I was surprised it was a head injury when I saw it, was expecting him to be down due to a shoulder/collarbone injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Not saying it dirty or anything like that, just that the actual contact is viscous.

Premature celebrations???
    rslb.jpg

Right now we don't look like a 5-1 team. Injuries are also now racking up. The good thing is we are grinding out wins just like we did when we won our first two bowls. I do find grinding out results keeps a team more honest than thumping teams week in week out. Will we go all the way who knows at this point. Brady showed us last night he has the ability to go back to how we all know him best and produce game winning drives when it looks like its over. If we can scrape our way to the playoffs and get a healthy enough team again it could set up another interesting and exciting playoff run.

Things we need to get better or have turn around:

-Brady gaining confidence with his WR
    -Drops
    -Injuries
    -Red Zone playcalling
    - and for once our secondary to stay consistent throughout the whole game. Just when they look like they are firing on all cylinders they give up such basic mistakes like ball watching and not playing the man.

The Good:

5-1 baby!!

The defense was unbelievable for the most part. We didn't know how good our defense was this season as although they had been crushing offenses through the first 5 weeks, none of those offenses were particularly scary. The Saints offense is probably the 2nd best offense in the league and i think we stoned them. The D has to be considered top 10 if not top 5 in the NFL. Jimmy Graham lead the league in receiving yards with 593 yards on the season going into week 6...he left week 6 with 593 yards. That's incredible. The Saints had 3 attempts to get a first down to win the game, our defense stopped them 3 times and they never got close. The one criticism of the defense was giving up the TD on the 3rd and 20, that shouldn't happen. I'm sure ESPN will be talking about how the Saints threw away the game on their own but the 3 stops and the final drive should never had happened if we stopped them on 3rd and 20. If we stopped them there there would have been 3 mins on the clock, Saints with one timeout and i would have fancied the Pats offense to pick up the first on the ground.

Special shout out to Vellano, he looks legit...8 tackles. That is an incredible motor for a DT and if he can add 10-15lbs to his frame he could be stud DT.

The offense in the first half looked reasonably legit. We scored 17 points on a very good Saints offense. There were some mistakes like dropped passes but for the most part we moved the ball. Ridley is back and i hope he becomes the primary back and the running back by committee becomes less prevalent. The offense looked like it was improving and its encouraging. And Gronk is surely back this week, surely.

That drive...fap fap fap

The Bad:

The offense second half couldn't move the ball. Arrington intercepted Brees inside the Saints red zone and we couldn't close out the game by getting a TD and we had to settle for a FG. I think its a combination of different factors that are troubling the offense:

Red zone offense/play calling - 3 runs in a row. Surely after we ran the ball twice in a row and get nowhere, we don't ruin it a 3rd time! I think there is a lack of confidence in the receivers to get open in a small space.

The Oline has been poor in pass protection. Brady was sacked 5 times!

Brady hasn't been that accurate this season. He missed an open Amendola for 6, threw behind Edelman, etc.

Drops, fcuking hell! I've never seen so many drops by a team in my life. It cost us on the first 2 minute drill drive, those drops were ridiculous.

Drops, Brady's accuracy, Oline playing poorly, play calling are not mutually exclusively and they are all inter-related. Good thing is the first half showed us they have potential and it was the best half of football we have seen by them all season so they are getting better.

Run defense is looking suspect. You don't replace Kelly and Wilfork easily. In the second half the Saints realized why not try that running the ball thing we've heard so much about? They did it and it looked like they couldn't be stopped. Two undrafted rookie free agent DTs need Kelly back or we could be in trouble.

The Ugly:

Injuries, injuries, injuries. Sickening. Current Patriots who are injured:

Offense:
    Gronk
    Amendola
    Edelman didn't finish the game
    Connolly
    Vereen

Defense:
    Kelly
    Wilfork
    Talib
    Mayo

Special Teams:
    Slater

That is 10 starters and at least 7 are pro bowlers. That is scary. How a team gets over that i don't know. Fingers crossed that none of the 5 injuries from yesterday's game are not season ending but i think we are going to be without 2 to 3 more players till the bye in 3 weeks.

On to the Jets next week. Run D and injuries will be the two biggest factors going into next week's game. If we can get 2 out of 3 wins before the bye week we'll be 7-2 and laughing but it wont be easy. The Jets i think we beat but the Dolphins are good and the Steelers even tho are 1-4 are still the Steelers.

Would anybody consider trading a 4th possibly a 3rd for a season rental of Hakeem Nicks ala the Talib trade of last season?

I think we should especially if we can get him for a 4th. I don't think it could hurt. I have faith in the potential of Dobson and Thompkins and they are getting better each week but at the end of the day they are still rookies and come playoff time that could hurt us.

Kenny Britt is probably available too and would be cheaper but he is less proven and more of a head case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Why would Reese, who is almost surely fired, let Hakeem Nicks go for a 4th rounder? Ok the guy has injury issues but he's a pro bowler easily when he's on the top of his game.

Giants will get a 3rd anyway if he leaves in FA depending on the contract but you would imagine it would come near to what Wallace got.

I think we could get much more than that but I think we will resign Nicks becuase letting him goes pushes WR to #1 on our priority list.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement