Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

TO. wrote: »
    If we can scrape our way to the playoffs and get a healthy enough team again it could set up another interesting and exciting playoff run.
    I have a funny feeling about you guys. I think it could be your year. You're 5-1 and not even in 2nd gear. No team is the same in Jan as in October. And after last night, that's the kind of thing that galvanises players. Like Indy against Green Bay last year. You also beat the most complete team in football last night. Also... Tom fcuking Brady.

I might put a sneaky few quid on you guys to win it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Red Crow wrote: »
    Why would Reese, who is almost surely fired, let Hakeem Nicks go for a 4th rounder? Ok the guy has injury issues but he's a pro bowler easily when he's on the top of his game.

Giants will get a 3rd anyway if he leaves in FA depending on the contract but you would imagine it would come near to what Wallace got.

I think we could get much more than that but I think we will resign Nicks becuase letting him goes pushes WR to #1 on our priority list.

I could see us going for it if someone offered say a 3rd & a 5th for Nicks. The way he is going this year he won't be getting paid next off-season
    davyjose wrote: »
    Also... Tom fcuking Brady.

It's ridiculous. No Welker, Gronk, Hernandez, Ridley, Vereen, Lloyd, so what. What he is doing with a bunch of drop prone, injury prone players is really unbelievable.

He is the best in the business (must go for a shower I feel dirty now)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

davyjose wrote: »
    I have a funny feeling about you guys. I think it could be your year. You're 5-1 and not even in 2nd gear. No team is the same in Jan as in October. And after last night, that's the kind of thing that galvanises players. Like Indy against Green Bay last year. You also beat the most complete team in football last night. Also... Tom fcuking Brady.

I might put a sneaky few quid on you guys to win it all.

Its got an Americas Game feel about it alright but it is up to the team to go and do it. The injuries are going to be the major thing for me, we should get through the regular season patched up but to make it through the playoffs and win the big one we really need to have a good few of those that are injured healthy and contributing on the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Got away with a hold, that avoided a sack on the game winning/ending play. Not in the least bit sour grapes. I couldn't care less if the Patriots win or lose (unless they're playing the packers). Simply highlighting the no call as a talking point.

It happens in every game, for every team, all the time. So what's the big deal? I could clog up any team thread here every Monday morning with plays like that. The fact is you rarely post in here and so based on what you posted. One can't help but feel despite your claim to the contrary, that there actually is a ting of sour grapes to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Mayo could miss the rest of the season after getting surgery to repair a torn bicep

1253885876_suicide.gif

• Advertisement

Hazys wrote: »
    Mayo could miss the rest of the season after getting surgery to repair a torn bicep

1253885876_suicide.gif

I missed the part of the game where Mayo got hurt. But when I heard about the arm sling I assumed it was a shoulder issue. More than likely the biceps tear occurred in the distal region (near the elbow). But it could also have been a long head tear, which happens near the shoulder insertion. Either way, I can't see him getting back to game ready strength or conditioning within 6 months.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Pectoral tear....he's gone for the season....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

BizzyC wrote: »
    Pectoral tear....he's gone for the season....

Ah ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Only 6 games in and we're without Vince and Mayo for the year.
    I hope that Talib and Kelly will recover, as I'm not sure how many more injuries this team can carry.
    Coupled with the loses on offense, having any sort of playoff run would be a very good achievement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

If we manage to somehow go all the way and win the Bowl Bill will surely elevate himself to the Greatest Coach of all time based on how this season has gone. On paper we are not a 5-1 team never mind a team that should be anywhere near a bowl. And people will be hard pressed to find an argument against Tom Brady being the greatest QB of all time if we pull it off.

Hazys wrote: »

I just read a report that it's a pectoralis tear. A pectoralis tear usually occurs near the auxiliary fold (armpit area). So it is initially often mistaken for a long head biceps injury which inserts near this area, or even the anterior deltoid (front shoulder muscle). Which probably explains why early reports were saying it was a shoulder/biceps injury.

The prognosis is similar to a biceps tear because his season is over. If the recovery is normal and he restores full range of movement, then he'll probably start a strength regime @ 16 weeks and build up gradually. He won't even be able to do any free weight lifting like dumb bell flyes/chest presses for a least 6 months after the surgery.

Losing Mayo is a massive loss, a defensive captain and general on the field. We can only hope that some serious stepping up will occur now. We need this bullshít luck to end now or we'll end up with no bloody team. I seen some lads talking about the season having America's Game written all over it. Christ at this rate of going, they'll have to title it America's Game - Special Edition.

TO. wrote: »
    If we manage to somehow go all the way and win the Bowl Bill will surely elevate himself to the Greatest Coach of all time based on how this season has gone. On paper we are not a 5-1 team never mind a team that should be anywhere near a bowl. And people will be hard pressed to find an argument against Tom Brady being the greatest QB of all time if we pull it off.

Without question TO, without question.

I hate to be so negative, but there is nothing positive to take from it. I think that's the season, no I wont say it. It is going to be one hell of an uphill struggle now though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

kryogen wrote: »
    I hate to be so negative, but there is nothing positive to take from it. I think that's the season, no I wont say it. It is going to be one hell of an uphill struggle now though

I am at the point as I said Sunday where I never really got my hopes up for this season so if we crash and burn no harm done really. But if we do manage to make a season out of it happy days. Although I do have a lot of distractions this fall to take my mind off how bad things are starting to go with the Pats and our personnel. Next 3 weeks are going to be mental for me.

Brady will be one more season closer to calling it a day after this though, don't like the thought of just writing it off. Maybe a stud (or 6) will step up and make it a season to remember......or not.

In the prediction thread I predicted an 11-5 season, with no AFC title or SB appearance even on my radar. So to be 5-1 considering our struggles is pretty amazing, since I expected to be 3-3 after 6 games. Still the record means nothing because our loss of key personnel have been brutal. This year stat wise, I expected Brady to have big drop off from his normal figures. Simply because of the huge task he was given in having to integrate and and connect with an entirely new offense. It has been unprecedented in this league to see a QB having to do what he has been asked to do this season.

How could he be himself under the circumstances he has had to face. Some of his throws have not been what you'd normally expect from him. But I totally expected that. The WR's at times have been all over the place and we have the worst corp in the league for the amount of drops they've had. The O line has not functioned to the normally standard we expect and the 5 sacks allowed against he Saints is just not good enough. There is room for so much improvement.

But as Edelman said last Sunday after the game. He knew when they got their last possession that Brady had his game face on, he was totally in the zone. When Brady goes into that zone he is unstoppable. Yet another amazing gaming winning drive gets added to his impressive résumés of game winning drives. And that reassured me, because it told me that Brady is still Brady. Once we sort out these offensive teething problems and settle down. Then I expect Brady to start putting up his old numbers and we will return to our normal position as a top powered offense.

There is so much upside with Dobson and Thompkins, they have had so much responsibility put on their inexperienced shoulders. Yes they've made mistakes, but what they've been expected to do this year is unprecedented for rookie WR in any Belichick team. We should be proud of these kids, they played a huge role last Sunday. They really stepped up when their number was called on that final drive and that is massive for young rookies.

I always thought this year was going to be a total offensive rebuild. So anything extra that may happen this year is a huge bonus for me. It's nice to have Ridley back in work horse mode. He had a fine game on Sunday and his ball security looked real good. When he's in this sort of form he is our number 1 back without any doubt.

With the losses on defense the challenges are now almost as great as those on the offense. I thought the Saints game would really show where they are at. And Sunday told me this defense seems to have really improved. In the AFC title game, our secondary fell apart when we lost Talib. But on Sunday when we lost Talib, they didn't fall apart. Graham was still marked out of the game.

I have given Arrington his fair share of stick when he deserved it. But on Sunday he did a fine job keeping Graham quiet after Talib went of. So fair play to him and if he continues to show that level of concentration and hunger then it will only be good for us. Our defense was very physical on Sunday and I liked it. We totally knocked the Saints offense out of their rhythm.

Love these two big plays he pulled out a key times....

7dnhQH.jpg

5hE8Jf.jpg

Keep it up Kyle.

The defense stopping the Saints from getting a single down on their last two possession was massive on their part. Talib's performance again was magnificent. Graham was invisible on the field. I'm hard pressed to find a better CB in the league right now, because Talib has done it week in week out. Hopefully his injury isn't to bad, but just as long as we have him fit and healthy for the big games I'll be happy enough.

With Mayo out, I think Jamie Collins might be asked to step up into a bigger role. He has the speed and athleticism we need for the role. He is an intriguing player and it would be nice if he could step up and seize the opportunity.

Looking onto the Jets game, even if Gronk is going to return, I'd rather if he didn't play against the Jets. Maybe I'm being a little bit cynical, but I wouldn't put it past Ryan, if he asked one of his players to accidentally on purpose to fall/jump/land on Gronks forearm and take him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

but I wouldn't put it past Ryan, if he asked one of his players to accidentally on purpose to fall/jump/land on Gronks forearm and take him out.

That is a preposterous statement to make. Just because you dislike a team and their coach to actually say that he will tell his players to deliberately go out and try end a persons season/career.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Officially on IR now, I'm actually gutted.
    how do you replace a captain on defence who played 399 of 407 odd snaps this season and gets over 100 tackles a year

Disaster

That is a preposterous statement to make. Just because you dislike a team and their coach to actually say that he will tell his players to deliberately go out and try end a persons season/career.

Where in my last post did I make any expression of like/dislike of the Jets? Go back, read it right and you'll see I only commented on Ryan. Yes I think he's a fruit cake and as I said in my last post, I wouldn't put it past him, for him to want Gronk targeted. And if you think that's preposterous? Well I guess you haven't been following the NFL long enough then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Where in my last post did I make any expression of like/dislike of the Jets? Go back, read it right and you'll see I only commented on Ryan. Yes I think he's a fruit cake and as I said in my last post, I wouldn't put it past him, for him to want Gronk targeted. And if you think that's preposterous? Well I guess you haven't been following the NFL long enough then.

I've been following long enough and read what you said just fine. Yeah its just as preposterous a statement for the second time now.

I've been following long enough and read what you said just fine. Yeah its just as preposterous a statement for the second time now.

And if you think it doesn't happen, well that's pretty naive imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

I think Rex Ryan is a lot of things - arrogant, obnoxious, irritating, petulant etc. - but I've never got that much of a malicious vibe off him. Will he be telling his players to take it easy on Gronk and to hold back? No, but I dont get the impression he's the type of guy that would tell his players to deliberately jump or land on Gronk's arm if he was on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Been looking at Rex and the way he behaves for the past 5 years or so now the only recollection I have off him sounding off about hitting a player would be the "hot sauce" incident with Reggie Bush last year.

Damn right our Safeties and Linebackers are going to test his body out and seeing where he is at mentally but no way would Ryan be telling players to maliciously try to injure Gronkowski by leaning on his forearm on the ground.

I think Rex Ryan is a lot of things - arrogant, obnoxious, irritating, petulant etc. - but I've never got that much of a malicious vibe off him. Will he be telling his players to take it easy on Gronk and to hold back? No, but I dont get the impression he's the type of guy that would tell his players to deliberately jump or land on Gronk's arm if he was on the ground.

Well we all perceive people differently and looking at all the traits you highlighted there. I would also add that he seems to have a screw loose. If there's one team I wouldn't want Gronk to come back against, it's the Jets and that's because of Ryan. I just don't trust the guy because all I see is a crazy look in his eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,914 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well we all perceive people differently and looking at all the traits you highlighted there. I would also add that he seems to have a screw loose. If there's one team I wouldn't want Gronk to come back against, it's the Jets and that's because of Ryan. I just don't trust the guy because all I see is a crazy look in his eyes.
    I have to disagree with you too Corvus. I don't see that side to Rex Ryan and I don't think he has a screw loose either. I don't think he has badnees in him, he comes across as a very competitive guy but no more than that.

Hightower just got a major vote of confidence today. He will wear the communications helmet in Sundays game and will lead the defensive huddle as defensive QB. It really shows the faith the team has in his abilities and it's a fine achievement for a second year player to be handed such a responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Rex Ryan up to his old BS this week.

Screen-Shot-2013-10-15-at-2.33.43-PM-thumb-600x249-116195.png

http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/goingdeep/2013/10/rex_ryan_asks_for_a_little_hel.html

Guaranteeing victory again but this time putting the blame on the fans if they lose.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/16/rex-ryan-told-his-players-to-abstain-this-week-unless-he-didnt/

Telling his players don't have sex this week, have it next week when the game against the Bengals is less important.

He's building up this game to be the Jets' Superbowl. His team, the fan base and his job security are fragile enough, it could be the nail in the coffin for Rex if they lose this. Its going to be a tough game for the Pats considering the amount of injuries we have right now. But i'd fcuking love it if we beat them...fcuking love it (channeling my inner Kevin Keegan)

Also, some bonus BS extras from the Jets this week:
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/16/new-to-jets-willie-colon-hates-the-patriots/

Willie Colon says he hates the Pats...lol he's been in the league since 2007 he's played the Pats a total of 3 times. Anger issues, much? I'm sure Brady and Co will lose tons of sleep over the week over an average OLineman from the Jets not liking them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Totally aside - am down the country the weekend, sussing out how i can catch the Pats game, they have Sky Sports so the Bengals game will be on but if you have Sky Sports, do you automatically have the RedZone on sky? Sorry i don't have Sky and wondering how il catch the Pats game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

BKWDR wrote: »
    Totally aside - am down the country the weekend, sussing out how i can catch the Pats game, they have Sky Sports so the Bengals game will be on but if you have Sky Sports, do you automatically have the RedZone on sky? Sorry i don't have Sky and wondering how il catch the Pats game.
    You should have Redzone via the red button on SS2.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement