Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Offense has turned up for the second half, they need to keep it going now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

That's just terrible.:eek:

The secondary beginning to look like the very poor secondary of recent seasons. Arrington shockingly bad on their last TD drive, I mean do these guys ever learn. It's not the first time he's done it.

Another come from behind win, this team is tough. But our secondary is getting worse. I counted 3 passes in the first half, where the Texans WR had least 10-15 yards of open field around him when making the reception unchallenged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

The secondary beginning to look like the very poor secondary of recent seasons. Arrington shockingly bad on their last TD drive, I mean do these guys ever learn. It's not the first time he's done it.
    Arrington does not deserve the contact he is on.
    The D is back to where it was for the last few years. But this time it's down to issues of injuries.
    Going forward, the offense will need to score 30+ a game for this team to go all the way; and we'll play a team in the playoffs that will stop us.

Still, this was a good night for the offense. That is a quality D, and we put up 31pts.
    Plus, that is not a 2:10 team. It's another game they're lost by less than a score.
    They had found a good QB and may end up with some draft picks; and trade Schaub (if they don't cut him).

We're 9:3, hell of a record given the issues we had on offense and now on defense.

• Advertisement

Arrington does not deserve the contact he is on.

Amen to that bro, I actually wanted him and Chung gone after last season. Chung went, he got overpaid and the mind boggled.

So we were spying on the Texans according to Antonio Smith :-/

me89 wrote: »
    So we were spying on the Texans according to Antonio Smith :-/

When the schedule came out last May, their Pats game was billed as the biggest game in Texans franchise history. They never got over us blowing them out last season and then doing it again in the playoffs. They were spitting for revenge. Poor Smith got his obsession for revenge shoved down his throat today. I suspect Smith doesn't even realise they've lost 6 games this season by 3 points or less. So I wouldn't even waste my time giving such pathetic sour grapes the oxygen of publicity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Great game last night, had field goal win written all over it!

Anyone wanna meet up and have a few beers for the Browns game???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Probably one too many concussions for Antonio Smith

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10065048/antonio-smith-houston-texans-very-suspicious-new-england-patriots

He says the reason the Patriots won was because we were spying on them and able to use this illegal knowledge on them in the second half.

If we had this illegal knowledge why did we not use it in the 1st half also? lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Hazys wrote: »
    Probably one too many concussions for Antonio Smith

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10065048/antonio-smith-houston-texans-very-suspicious-new-england-patriots

He says the reason the Patriots won was because we were spying on them and able to use this illegal knowledge on them in the second half.

If we had this illegal knowledge why did we not use it in the 1st half also? lol
    Maybe Smith is suggesting that the 'wrinkles' he is talking about were only used in the second half.

Chances are that the Texans just bottled it but BB does have form for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Maybe Smith is suggesting that the 'wrinkles' he is talking about were only used in the second half.

Good to see your trolling is back to form in this thread, the thread you were told to stay away from. What is funny your whole post was going well until you couldn't help yourself at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

He also has form for beating the Broncos and Peyton Manning. As does Tom Brady.

See, I can do it too :)

BORING!!

It was nice of him to at least give the Texans the first half head start before putting his spying master plan into action.

Amazing how silent Smith was last year when the Pats basically demolished them twice. But he's not the only classless scumbag on their team to do something stupid against the Pats. Do people, remember what happened before our first match up with the Texans last season in Gillette? During his warm up, J.J Watt went to the middle of the field to the Pats logo, spat on it and wiped his feet on it. Twitter was lit up with multiple tweets from the army of reporters that was present. But unfortunately for the muppet, news of what he did made its way back to the Pats dressing room and the rest is history. He was thought a football lesson that day. And ended up being rendered invisible in our two games last year.

The Texans HC opinion on the recent post game embarrassing ranting and raving of Smith...
    Asked about Smith's comments during his news conference Monday, Texans coach Gary Kubiak began shaking his head while the reporter finished his question.

"I have the utmost respect for their organization, their players, their coaches, their head coach and the standard that they've been setting for a long, long time in this league," Kubiak said. "So, you know, they did a great job yesterday and have been doing it a long time."
    http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

The Journal has tipped the Patriots to go all the way this year.

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/nfl-playoff-predictions-1201819-Dec2013/

I wonder will all the moons align at the right time with injuries etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭woodchopper

BKWDR wrote: »
    The Journal has tipped the Patriots to go all the way this year.

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/nfl-playoff-predictions-1201819-Dec2013/

Im afraid the journalist who wrote that piece must be high although not as high as the paddies will have to go to get to the superbowl!

Sheer stupidity by Smith
    Like a lot of delusional sports people/players/fans, when they lose; they never look at themselves, they have to invent a reason as to why they are losing.
    Last year, Smith and his ilk, rolled into Gillette with a false belief that they were a top team. They left with their tail between their legs, which was followed up with another spanking in Gillette a few weeks later.

It needs to be spelled out to Smith. The Pats are close to full strength on offense. An offense (when fit) that regularly scores 30+ points in a game. Despite Houston having a good D, when Tom and his weapons click, they'll score against defenses.
    In the last three games against the Pats, Houston has conceded 42pts, 41pts, and now 34pts.
    Smiths contribution in those games, T=3, A=1, Sacks=0, FF=0, Int=0.
    Niko's contribution in those games, T=8, A=5, Sacks=1, FF=0, Int=1.
    Perhaps a little more concentration on his own performances, and a little less with conspiracy theories, might be more beneficial (and realistic).

BKWDR wrote: »

We've been running on fumes most of the year. The secondary is looking like the bad secondary of old and our run defense is non-existent at times. Arrignton cannot play anywhere except as slot cover, as a CB he is very poor. Talib is not the Talib from earlier in the season, because he is still not 100% with the hip injury. We desperately need Dennard back. And based on that, I can't see it happening. It's a pity because just when the offense is starting to roll, the defense has crumbled. The defense performed great as our offense was rebuilding. But now they're totally banged up which begs the question. Will we ever have a balanced team on the field?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

We've been running on fumes most of the year. The secondary is looking like the bad secondary of old and our run defense is non-existent at times. Arrignton cannot play anywhere except as slot cover, as a CB he is very poor. Talib is not the Talib from earlier in the season, because he is still not 100% with the hip injury. We desperately need Dennard back. And based on that, I can't see it happening. It's a pity because just when the offense is starting to roll, the defense has crumbled. The defense performed great as our offense was rebuilding. But now they're totally banged up which begs the question. Will we ever have a balanced team on the field?

When is Dennard due back?

• Advertisement

Vanolder wrote: »
    When is Dennard due back?

No idea, but it's very annoying, because we rushed him onto the field against the Broncos just 4 days are his knee scope. A very stupid decision imo and now we're paying the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dh1985

Also need a non fumbling ridley. to be fair to bolden and blount there solid but not spectacular. Vereen does offer a better pass catch option. Still think ridley is the best rush option when not fumbling the ball

dh1985 wrote: »
    Also need a non fumbling ridley. to be fair to bolden and blount there solid but not spectacular. Vereen does offer a better pass catch option. Still think ridley is the best rush option when not fumbling the ball

No doubt about it alright. Ridley is our best running back. The kid is one of the best in the league when he's not fumbling the ball and that's the frustrating thing about it. I know it sounds crazy, but I hate to see Vereen running the ball. And that's because he's a damn fine receiver out of the back field.

I prefer to see Blount and Boldin doing the smash mouth football and have Vereen doing the sneaky plays. Ya I know that would become predictable pretty quickly, but because of his durability issues in the past, I always worry when Vereen runs the ball.

Hopefully we will bring Ridley back for the next game. We will need his running ability in the playoffs and hopefully he can iron out the wrinkles before then.

Will we ever have a balanced team on the field?
    Not this season.
    The offense will carry us for the rest of the season and into the playoffs.
    But when we meet a team that will require our defense to limit the opposition to 20pts, then we are likely to lose.

The permanent loses of starters like Mayo, Kelly and Vince was always going to make it difficult. But with our two starting CB's suffering with injuries that have both limited, it's gonna hurt us when we play SB contenders.

Not this season.
    The offense will carry us for the rest of the season and into the playoffs.
    But when we meet a team that will require our defense to limit the opposition to 20pts, then we are likely to lose.

The permanent loses of starters like Mayo, Kelly and Vince was always going to make it difficult. But with our two starting CB's suffering with injuries that have both limited, it's gonna hurt us when we play SB contenders.

Losing Gronk was a big blow in 2011 and 2012, but if we can for once take him and a fit offense to the post season then you never know. If we have Gronk-Amendola-Edelman-Vereen-Thompkins-Dobson and all the RB's in good nick then anything is possible. The OL had did a very good job protecting Brady in the second half against the Broncos and Texans. If you protect Tom and give him healthy targets, then he'll get it done. That's the best we can hope for right now with our weakened defense. Defenses as they say win championships, but it would be nice if we could for once turn that on its head. I'm not expecting it to happen of course, but one can only dream I suppose

Im afraid the journalist who wrote that piece must be high although not as high as the paddies will have to go to get to the superbowl!

Why are they high though? I don't believe the Pats will win the Superbowl myself but at this point one could easily say they have just as good shot of getting there as any other AFC team. They scalped the one team everyone said would do it easily from the AFC.

I wouldn't be surprised at all anymore if the Pats scrape their way to another bowl. Whether they win it or not is another question as the Seahawks right now for me look like the better option coming from the NFC we know the Saints are beatable and know we fooked up badly against the Panthers who also look strong.

This season is really one of those seasons that you could put the top 7 or 8 teams in a hat and pick one out and that is your Champ. Playoffs will breed a different entity for every team involved. Its going to be one mental playoffs that is for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

When I look at who is in contention for the playoff's in the AFC, who exactly would the Pats have to fear, especially if they land homefield?

The only team I can see stopping the Pats are the Broncos, but only if its in Denver. Even at that, Manning has been hit and miss in the playoff's over his career.

Baltimore I would be wary of simply because they have shown in the past they can knock off the Pats in Foxboro. But they still have alot of work to do to even make the playoffs.

A Superbowl apperence is a very, very realistic goal for the Pats IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

TaosHum wrote: »
    A Superbowl apperence is a very, very realistic goal for the Pats IMO.

The whole off-season with Hernandez, the rookie receiving corp, the huge step up from the Defence, then the injuries to the likes of Wilfork & Mayo, to the comebacks against Denver and Houston, this season has America's Game written all over it!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,916 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

No doubt about it alright. Ridley is our best running back. The kid is one of the best in the league when he's not fumbling the ball and that's the frustrating thing about it. I know it sounds crazy, but I hate to see Vereen running the ball. And that's because he's a damn fine receiver out of the back field.

I prefer to see Blount and Boldin doing the smash mouth football and have Vereen doing the sneaky plays. Ya I know that would become predictable pretty quickly, but because of his durability issues in the past, I always worry when Vereen runs the ball.

Hopefully we will bring Ridley back for the next game. We will need his running ability in the playoffs and hopefully he can iron out the wrinkles before then.
    Agree with everything else in your post but I don't want to see Ridley near the field in the playoffs. You are up against the best defenders there and the guy cannot be trusted to hold onto the ball. The playoffs is the last place I want to see him at this stage. Maybe a good offseason can help him to become a great one but you just can't trust him right now to hold onto the ball. I'll be surprised if he gets any snaps again this year.

I really like the guy but winning is what this game is all about especially when it comes to playoff time.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Agree with everything else in your post but I don't want to see Ridley near the field in the playoffs. You are up against the best defenders there and the guy cannot be trusted to hold onto the ball. The playoffs is the last place I want to see him at this stage. Maybe a good offseason can help him to become a great one but you just can't trust him right now to hold onto the ball. I'll be surprised if he gets any snaps again this year.

I really like the guy but winning is what this game is all about especially when it comes to playoff time.

So do we depend on Bolden and Vereen to carry most of the load then?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement