Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

TO. wrote: »
    No most just throw what they learned out the window and do as they feel. Look at James Harrison and Brandon Merriweather with their excuses when it came to the leading with the head. Fundamentals never thought players to lead with the head but the lack of rules and guys going for the big hit did so of course players look for the scapegoat excuse.

And that's the problem, proper tackling rules aren't enforced by League. Failure to adhere to accepted tackling techniques, should result in an immediate suspension imo. These are the kind of steps that are needed if the NFL is really serious about player safety. The likes of Merriweather are a walking joke, he is long overdue being made a seriously example of.
    But as I said there is already lower tackling techniques that have been around donkeys years that create a minimal amount of impact at the knees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvyI_ACttAc&sns=em

This video is an example of a side line tackle that guys like Ray Lewis swore by. Its tackling 101 and teaches players to find the best pursuit angle and break down and take guys down at an angle and at the mid section. Most effective tackle you could make. As I said in other posts always going lower is a 50/50 shot as pads and a helmet impede your mobility and speed.

I had have no issue with those tackles and never had. I've been talking about lower leg hits. Players have carte blance to hit how they want and it is tolerated. Yet your career could end quicker with a smashed knee, than a brief concussion.

Ok so lets say the NFL get rid of what Ward did yesterday and tell players they must start wrapping up or playing safer and sticking to fundamentals when it comes to hitting low and just as many knees keep colliding with helmets. What then? Tell players they can no longer hit low?

The same way RB's were warned against crown of the helmet hits during the offseason. Tacklers should be warned against blind hits on the lower legs. Hits where the tackler can't even bother his arse to look at his strike zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

It's times like this you wish Hernandez wasn't such a horrible douche bag. What a difference he would make right now.

me89 wrote: »
    It's times like this you wish Hernandez wasn't such a horrible douche bag. What a difference he would make right now.

I think some serious rebuilding needs to happen at TE this offseason. Which is a real pity, because it's a position this time last year, that we looked to have sorted for the next 5-6 years. Going forward, I think Gronks availability nearly needs to be treated as a luxury rather that a certainty. On a positive note, I'm hearing there's some good talent at TE coming out in the 2014 draft class. You guys here with a finger on the pulse for the college game, will probably have a good idea of who could be available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I think some serious rebuilding needs to happen at TE this offseason. Which is a real pity, because it's a position this time last year, that we looked to have sorted for the next 5-6 years. Going forward, I think Gronks availability nearly needs to be treated as a luxury rather that a certainty. On a positive note, I'm hearing there's some good talent at TE coming out in the 2014 draft class. You guys here with a finger on the pulse for the college game, will probably have a good idea of who could be available.
    I don't get to see much college game at all.
    But I see that TE is a position that some expect us to draft high: http://fansided.com/2013/12/10/2014-nfl-mock-draft-week-15/30/

I don't expect Spikes to be resigned, LB will need to looked at (with mobility required as Hightower isn't showing that he's capable of fitting into that role).

I don't get to see much college game at all.
    But I see that TE is a position that some expect us to draft high: http://fansided.com/2013/12/10/2014-nfl-mock-draft-week-15/30/

I don't expect Spikes to be resigned, LB will need to looked at (with mobility required as Hightower isn't showing that he's capable of fitting into that role).

Ya I'm like yourself. I'd love to catch more college football, but it never works out for me. I also don't expect Spikes to be resigned and I think Mayo being out has really affected Hightowers role this season. I think Ja Marcus and TO. are pretty up to speed with the college game, so they might have a better idea of any TE talent coming through.

• Advertisement

Ya I'm like yourself. I'd love to catch more college football, but it never works out for me.
    ESPN was part of the Sky Sports package, but it's now part of the Setanta package. I was able to watch a lot of college football last year and loved it; some amazing talent making plays at such a young age.
    Reminded me of the 'no fear' approach you have at that age.

As Hernandez has been brought up, it's such a shame that the elite combo we had at TE is gone (and we'll have to wait see how Gronk comes back).
    It's been a really crazy season.
    Letting Wes walk
    Hernandez arrest
    Tom having to rely on rookies to start the season
    Losing Vince for the season
    Losing Mayo for the season
    Losing Kelly for the season
    Losing Vereen for a large part of the regular season after an exciting start
    Gronk getting back later than we hoped
    Losing Gronk for the remainder of the season
    Close (controversial) loses
    Close wins
    Those comebacks against Saints, Broncos, Browns
    All that, and we're 10:3

And we still have 3 regular season games, and then the playoffs.
    What next??

Not forgetting losing man mountain Vollmer from the O line, when he had that horrible leg break and was gone for the season.

Then Talib banjaxing his hip when he was a stand out CB this season. He's not been right since his return, we're playing zone now because Talib isn't fit enough to do the fine man marking jobs he was doing earlier in the season.

Dennard rushed back for the Broncos game, tweaking the knee again and then hurting the shoulder last Sunday.

Gregory broke his thumb and returned early because we're desperate.

Then we had Slater our ST king breaking his wrist.

And just when our young rookies Dobson and Thompkins were starting to find their feet, they're now out injured when we could really do with them.

Amendola should have had that inguinal surgery in week 2 because I'm convinced he's not 100%. It wouldn't surprise me if he's under the knife once the season ends.

Shocking to think that Gronk will soon be having his 6th surgery in less than a year. Yes, it's been a very unusual shítfest of injuries this year and it started way back in the offseason. Christ if nothing else, we have seriously earned a boat load of good luck karma for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

In Logan waiting to come home after the game, haven't caught up with thread or news online, brutal game, excellent finish though, great experience over all. Game flies by!

BKWDR wrote: »
    In Logan waiting to come home after the game, haven't caught up with thread or news online, brutal game, excellent finish though, great experience over all. Game flies by!

Nice one, any more pics?

I'd say you could have heard a pin drop when poor Gronk went down.:(

Dobson not at practice today and is still out with that god damn foot injury :(. On a brighter note Thompkins was back at practice today :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Nice one, any more pics?

I'd say you could have heard a pin drop when poor Gronk went down.:(

Struggling with jet lag in a bad way today at work and will sift through the photos now in next few days.

Unbelievable when Gronk went down, when we saw it happen it was nuts and then you see it on the big screen, there was a woman in the stands crying!

The tailgate experience, words cant explain! My american friends was telling me the football is secondary to the tailgate, they were nearly right! Class, from 9am to 12.30, into the game and then for 2 hours after the game, great atmosphere, beer pong and corn hole 4 dif BBQ's on the go!

The game itself, well i gather we all watched it. Brutal game over all and the guys i were with were set to leave with 5 minutes left in the 4th and i just said i would stay on and well was i glad i did. The finish was electric and the place went NUTS

It didn't really matter to me (given the score during the game) if we won or lost, just that it would be a tight game as i love the close one score finishes but was heart in mouth stuff. Looking forward to seeing the game back now on Game Pass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Anybody know the story with Armond Armstead? Is he gone past his deadline for eligibility to play this year?

Hazys wrote: »
    Anybody know the story with Armond Armstead? Is he gone past his deadline for eligibility to play this year?
    Yeah, won't be playing this season.

Solder apparently missed practice yesterday because of a concussion. Personally, I don't remember any stage of the game last week where Solder appeared hurt or dazed. But something obviously happened at some point. Did any of you guys notice anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Solder needs a little kick up the backside, maybe Bill clocked him in the dressing room and concussed him? (joke obv)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,916 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Its incredible given all the key players we have lost that we are still only one game from being no.1 seeds. It seems the more players that go down the greater the resolve is.

I'm just so impressed by the coaching and the improvement in so many players this season. BB, Scar, Josh and Matt Patricia have to get a lot of credit for what has happened this season.

Solder apparently missed practice yesterday because of a concussion.
    Back at practice today.

Back at practice today.

Good news, but there's still no sign of Dobson I believe.:(

Amazingly if we win out we get the number 1 seed

me89 wrote: »
    Amazingly if we win out we get the number 1 seed

I can't see it with Gronk gone now unfortunately. I expect stumbles against the Dolphins and Ravens. The Brady - Gronk connection would have tied up home field advantage for us.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I can't see it with Gronk gone now unfortunately. I expect stumbles against the Dolphins and Ravens. The Brady - Gronk connection would have tied up home field advantage for us.

yup, exactly my thoughts too. who knows though, but I am not hopeful at all.

that sounds awful really, with a 10-3 record, 1st seed in our hands, and I'm being a right moan about it all. What will I be like when Brady and BB retire? :eek: not worth thinking about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Need to be looking over your shoulders too with the Bengals only one game out. Gonna be a tight run in, even for the bye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Going back to the tackling/injury debate, have you guys read this? (Long read)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/Mag15footballisdead/

Dobson was back on the field today, but because of a close session there was no reports of how active he was. I assume he won't be available or Sunday, but hopefully he'll make the last 2 games of the regular season and get the rust of for the playoffs.

:( Dobson now ruled out for his third straight game and Thompkins out for his second straight game. I really hope they are back next week.

:( Dobson now ruled out for his third straight game and Thompkins out for his second straight game. I really hope they are back next week.

I don't mind them missing and not rushing back as long as they make it back for the final game to shake off a bit of rust before the playoffs, they are going to need to step up in a huge way if we are to have any play off run

kryogen wrote: »
    I don't mind them missing and not rushing back as long as they make it back for the final game to shake off a bit of rust before the playoffs, they are going to need to step up in a huge way if we are to have any play off run

They were both stepping up quite nicely before their injuries though. In the last couple of games they played, both made some key third and first down conversions for us. After a baptism of fire start to their careers last September, they looked they were settling in real nice. Branch was our best WR draft pick during the Belichick era, but Dobson and Thompkins have already put up better numbers on their comparable rookie seasons. I can't actually remember young rookies WR's having such a tough start given the circumstances and doing so well for us. They will be good weapons to have for the playoffs, I just hope they're fit and sharp for when we really need them.

You may have taken me up wrong, I was not criticising them. They have done well, brilliantly as the season has gone on and they will still need to do even better now Gronk is out of the play offs.

I think I did, because I didn't interpret it as you talking about them in the context of Gronk going out. But you're right, we need them to be even better when they're back.

One guy I think some people missed last week was Boyce. He had a nice little game for himself against the Browns, with 3 receptions for 49 yards. This kid is rocket fast and if Tom gives him a deep ball, he will tear down the field.

• Advertisement

One guy I think some people missed last week was Boyce. He had a nice little game for himself against the Bills, with 3 receptions for 49 yards. This kid is rocket fast and if Tom gives him a deep ball, he will tear down the field.

Yes he looked good last week. Especially on the screen play. Hope we see more of him tonight

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement