Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Yeah, it kinda was over early. Pats struggled on offense and it helped bring Ravens back into the game.
    But for Baltimore, it's all about the decline of Ray Rice. He's bailed the Ravens/Flacco out of situations so many times.
    It's a huge area of concern for the Ravens next season.

It's the O-line more than Rice, IMO. Pierce hasn't had much success running the ball either which tells me it's not a coincidence. Rice has also been carrying injuries almost all year. I think Peterson would even struggle running behind our line :pac:

Ozzie needs to get the wide receiver position and O-line sorted during the offseason. With a mid-ish draft pick and the deep receiver class I think we should be able to get the wide receiver position sorted in the draft, but with Oher hopefully off, Monroe not tied down, and very little cap space to play around with, Ozzie will have his work cut out in terms of sorting out that line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Overall, got to be really happy with the win.
    Excellent day for the defense, especially considering some of the injuries/knocks we picked up during the game.
    Things got a bit crazy at the end, it was the previous 58mins that the defense really did their job.

Very good day for Blount. The offense did run the ball quite well, and we were balanced on offensive.
    But those 3rd and 4th quarter stalls highlight the loss of Gronk.

Vereen groin injury, even if it's a strain, that needs to be managed next week and hopefully he won't be required.

Note on Edelman who edges closer to a 100 catch season.
    Bill took a lot of flack for the loss of Wes, but Edelman has been excellent this season.

Division Champs again. An outstanding coaching job by Bill this season.
    Hopefully we can get to 12:4 next week and take some further confidence into the post season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Paully D wrote: »
    Well done tonight lads. We were awful, but you got the job done nice and early and we never looked like threatening at all.

Our road form has been so poor and with this the toughest one of the schedule, I thought you guys would do it today. I never expected a scoreline like that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Patriots center Ryan Wendell turns to a reporter & says "Go interview Josh Kline." Vet proud of the rookie.

Nice touch, he actually had a very good game.

me89 wrote: »
    Patriots center Ryan Wendell turns to a reporter & says "Go interview Josh Kline." Vet proud of the rookie.

Nice touch, he actually had a very good game.

He also made a great block on Blounts last TD.

• Advertisement

I'd say Ray would be impressed by these moves......

5ti5t5.gif

You know, if we had of won that game last week. We could be No.1 seeds now and be guaranteed home field advantage all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,916 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You know, if we had of won that game last week. We could be No.1 seeds now and be guaranteed home field advantage all the way.
    You know, when you win like that against last year's Superbowl champs you gotta believe in your team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

eagle eye wrote: »
    You know, when you win like that against last year's Superbowl champs you gotta believe in your team.

To be fair the Ravens are half the team they were last season.

It was great to get that win yesterday and we played fantastically at times but it was far from a polished win. The Ravens beat themselves up more than once. All those penalties early on keeping our offense moving. The Ravens inability to move the ball or punch it in that has hampered them all season long.

It was great to see guys step up and get it done though and a good test of character for guys like Kline who are quite literally being thrown into the firing line. A win is a win and our momentum gets going again.

I do feel the Bills game might be a pain in the hole to watch though.

TO. wrote: »
    I do feel the Bills game might be a pain in the hole to watch though.
    The ending of the 1st half was a pain.
    I thought the game would be lucky to finish before the late night game! Between the amount of penalties and refs taking ages to make a decision, it was crazy stuff.

Before the Miami/Ravens game, I always felt confident that we'd handle the Bills, and that hasn't changed.
    I doubt that we'll handle them with ease, but we'll do enough to win at home.

• Advertisement

The most pleasing thing for me last night was the run game. We inexplicable abandoned it against the Dolphins, but last night most of your offensive snaps went with the run. Great to see us running the ball well despite them knowing we were going to run the ball. The Ravens remain one of the best defenses in the league and are formidable at home. But last night we went into their house and beat them physically and mentality with some good smash mouth football. I didn't expect that and the Ravens didn't expect that.

All facets of the team did their job with a 100% effort and that was the most pleasing aspect of it. Regardless of the injuries and the banged up roster they got it done. This 2013 Patriots team is one pretty tough, never say die crew. In the AFC title game last year, we were out toughed and roughed up. But last night the Patriots really showed their mettle and I think the Ravens were really rattled by it.

Particularly pleasing watching Ridley with the ball last night. He held that ball so tight, he was like a guy on a date with the Prom Queen. Blount also did a fine job. A particular play caught my eye with Blount against the Browns. We were pinned back to the 2 yard line after a punt. Blount takes the ball and thunders 13 yards down the field. It was a massive play and a play we really needed. After that I said to myself, we're keeping this guy.

But last night it was hard to single out any one player. Watching Matthew Slater snuff out the dangerous Jones in the return game was a joy to watch. There is no ST player in the league like Slater, he is just top notch. Young Logan Ryan coming up with more Int's was impressive. I could go on, but it was definitely one of the best away wins of the Belcihick-Brady era. I just hope we can carry that beat you down toughness into the playoffs because it will shock a lot of teams.

Before the Miami/Ravens game, I always felt confident that we'd handle the Bills, and that hasn't changed.
    I doubt that we'll handle them with ease, but we'll do enough to win at home.

I was the same, I expected a win against the Bills. Like yourself, I don't think it will be easy, but we should get the win.

I was the same, I expected a win against the Bills. Like yourself, I don't think it will be easy, but we should get the win.
    It hasn't been easy all season (apart from Bucs, Steelers and last night), it's been mainly close wins and close loses.
    It's been a roller-coaster this year!

It's been a roller-coaster this year!

With a few trips to Coronary Care along the way, added for good measure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dh1985

I see marquice cole was released today. It will be a lonely christmas and new year for him!!

I see marquice cole was released today. It will be a lonely christmas and new year for him!!

dh1985 wrote: »

I think that's the 4th time Cole has been cut and I hope it's the last. He's a complete liability on defense. When you see young a QB like Tannehill targeting him the minute he steps on the field, it sums up how bad he is.

Austin Collie was also released yesterday, but with Dobson back and Thompkins close to a return, that's not really a surprise.

Tom Brady, Logan Mankins, Aqib Talib and special-team maestro Matthew Slater are our Pro Bowl selections this year. It's pretty laughable that Edelman hasn't been selected, especially after making such a huge step up this season. Gostkowski is another man that has been overlooked, he's had a fine season and has probably made more clutch kicks this year than any other kicker in the league.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Tom Brady, Logan Mankins, Aqib Talib and special-team maestro Matthew Slater are our Pro Bowl selections this year. It's pretty laughable that Edelman hasn't been selected, especially after making such a huge step up this season. Gostkowski is another man that has been overlooked, he's had a fine season and has probably made more clutch kicks this year than any other kicker in the league.

Yeah I can't see why Prater was chosen over Gostkowski tbh. I completely understand Justin Tucker getting it. He's been phenomenal all year and is extremely well liked around the league too from what I gather. Yet again though so much emphasis will be based on Prater setting the FG record earlier in the year. One kick overshadowing all of Gostkowskis hard word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Boards.ie app for android?

• Advertisement

Instead of the Pro Bowl game, they could have the losers of the AFC v's the losers of the NFC vying for the 3rd/4th overall pick in the draft.
    The Pro Bowl match is just awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Who would you have Edelman replace in the selection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

The pro bowl is a joke anyway I don't care too much for it. Just consider the fact that the Browns have more players going than the Patriots and the Chiefs have double the players. Note to mention Brandon Merriweather went to 2 pro bowls as a Patriot when he could barely hold his starting position and was cut the season after his 2nd lol

I think it's the perception the Patriots give off that hurts them in a popularity contest i.e. Pats are team first, individuals/superstars second. Sure BB could win the Super Bowl with Tom Brady and 10 lads off a construction site.

The annoying thing about the pro bowl is that when people compare players who played 10/15 years ago they use the number of times a player made the pro bowl as a yard stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Patriots who should have had stronger consideration and if they made it there would be no major arguments: Solder, McCourty, Edelman, Jones, Ninkovich & Gostowski

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

I think everyone knows the Pro Bowl is a bit of a joke, unless there's an incentive like Munstermagic says it will always be a bit of a joke.

Thinking about my laptop / telly setup now for tomorrow...Jesus the season flies in! Hoping for no shakey starts or wobbles against the Bills. If we take up where we left off against the Ravens it would be that bit nicer looking at the playoffs.

SameOleJay wrote: »
    Who would you have Edelman replace in the selection?

Dexter McCluster from the Chiefs, laughable that he gets in ahead of Edelman.

Hazys wrote: »
    Patriots who should have had stronger consideration and if they made it there would be no major arguments: Solder, McCourty, Edelman, Jones, Ninkovich & Gostowski

My favorite Pat - Ninkovich, should have been in the last two years at least. But as you said earlier, the Pro Bowl really is a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

I can see a fair few dropouts on that pro bowl list anyways including some of our own. Opens up spots for this joke of a contest to more Pats guys id say. Then again if we do make the Soup Bowl none of them will be in the joke bowl. Even if we don't make the soup bowl Id say we will have a couple of guys pull out of the joke bowl.

davyjose wrote: »
    Boards.ie app for android?

Yeah can be a pain sometimes if not keeping a tight eye on it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Yeah can be a pain sometimes if not keeping a tight eye on it

Ha ha, how did I know. Happens me all the time. Dont hit back after you've posted is the only way I can avoid it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement