Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I am so proud of that team for how they went about the business last night! Patriots are a running team baby :)

Blount has come up so big for us the last few weeks, if he keeps his production up then who knows, maybe, just maybe we could go to the big show? Still unlikely I suppose but I am far more confident now.

O line was fantastic last night, Brady was Brady, no ego, great leader. Pats put up 43 points, no TD's for Brady! Unreal

The way the team was able to control the football and keep running it in the 4th quarter was very encouraging, I know it was the opposition too, but its another example of how this team will be whatever it has to be to win. Thats all that matters, adaptable.

The D was pretty good overall, Luck helped with a couple of poor throws /decisions but an all round bit time confidence boosting win I feel. Roll on the Championship game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,916 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

That guy Brady isn't a bad ball holder for kicks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Great team win last night.
    Blount will get the headlines, and he had a great game, but this was a win earned by a lot of factors.

The RB's all performed, with Ridley and Vereen also chipping in.
    Credit to the OL for creating the gaps and doing a good job protecting Tom.
    Gost did very well punting, but hopefully Ryan will be back.
    Tom had no interest in the spotlight and kept to the gameplan and just fed it to the RB's. Good job with the holds as well :)
    Felt the D could have gotten to Luck a lot more times, inches in it. Secondary gave up some big plays, thought McCourthy looked poor, but tough to tell who isn't carrying some type of injury at this stage.
    Still don't feel that we can overcome the odds if we go to the Broncos (not to mention how good those NFC teams look), but we're still there fighting, and it's another night to be proud of the team/org.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Hey lads, just wanna say congrats. Bill Belichick is a genius. Maybe the greatest mind in the history of the game. To reinvent his team so often is just... nuts. No shame in being beaten by tht man.

I'm dying though. I thought we might do it, and then that 73 yarder and another pick by Luck. I'm crushed. Well done though. I'm rooting for Peyton to get a 2nd ring, but if you guys make the big dance, I'll be rooting for Brady and Bill. Well done lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

eagle eye wrote: »

Better than Romo ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

eagle eye wrote: »

One interesting thing from this is why was Brady doing this and not Mallet. The last time Brady was a holder was back in his Michigan days in the Orange bowl. It seems odd that we don't have anyone other than Brady that can hold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Maybe I'm just being naturally overly cautious here, but the Colts have one of the worst run defenses in the league (26th I think). The Broncos have the 8th best run defense this season. So they will be a much tougher test. Now if we end up running the ball the same way against them? Then I will start believing that we now have a true powerful smash mouth run game in our weaponry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

TO. wrote: »
    One interesting thing from this is why was Brady doing this and not Mallet. The last time Brady was a holder was back in his Michigan days in the Orange bowl. It seems odd that we don't have anyone other than Brady that can hold.

Considering we are reliant on his right hand

I found it very strange alright that Mallett didn't hold. I think the game commentators even mentioned that they expected him to take over the duties. But wow, didn't realise Brady hasn't done it since college.

I found it very strange alright that Mallett didn't hold. I think the game commentators even mentioned that they expected him to take over the duties. But wow, didn't realise Brady hasn't done it since college.

Think they punted instead of taking a FG in the 4th if I'm not mistaken too.

• Advertisement

BKWDR wrote: »

It's all a hazy and I was filled with drink, so I can't be sure myself.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Gweedling

BKWDR wrote: »

Yep, I thought that was a bit bizarre too, would've been about a 45 yarder. Tried to kick it inside the 10 yard line but it bounced out of the back of the end zone. Might have been something to do with the wind and the rain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

So we're off to Denver!

The Broncos didn't show anything to be too worried about, but I thought our secondary was poor in parts against the Colts. Should be a cracker of a game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Looking forward to next week already, may the best team win ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

A very drunk Charles Barkley wandering around the Pats dressing room:

http://www.nj.com/super-bowl/index.ssf/2014/01/in_patriots_victory_charles_barkley_is_breakout_star.html

I think the way this season has gone, there is every chance we can beat Denver but i am in no way confident. They have pulled out huge performances against a back drop of huge team injuries. If they play like they did the past two games il be happy win or lose but that's based on a season where it shouldn't have been on paper but they are making the right plays at the right time on the field.
    Can't wait til next weekend, i was hoping for the Chargers for homefield but am kinda happy now it's Denver.

A lot of people are saying Denver dominated San Diego yesterday which realistically they didn't. Chargers offense were the main culprit. Broncos D did enough to rattle Rivers and stop their running game for most of the game. But the fact it was 17-0 going into the 4th quarter shows the Chargers Defense did a good job holding on. In fact late injuries didn't help them especially in their secondary. I don't believe our offense will have the same problems as San Diego.

Now having said that I do believe ourselves and Denver are equally matched right now. Some will call me crazy given their offensive weapons but our Defense has raised its game and our Run game has emerged as a light at the end of the tunnel. If we can good honest football on Sunday I can't see any reason for us not to go toe to toe with the Broncos.

Either way its going to be a cracking game and most likely a nail biter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

A lot of people are saying Denver dominated San Diego yesterday which realistically they didn't. Chargers offense were the main culprit. Broncos D did enough to rattle Rivers and stop their running game for most of the game. But the fact it was 17-0 going into the 4th quarter shows the Chargers Defense did a good job holding on. In fact late injuries didn't help them especially in their secondary. I don't believe our offense will have the same problems as San Diego.

Now having said that I do believe ourselves and Denver are equally matched right now. Some will call me crazy given their offensive weapons but our Defense has raised its game and our Run game has emerged as a light at the end of the tunnel. If we can good honest football on Sunday I can't see any reason for us not to go toe to toe with the Broncos.

Either way its going to be a cracking game and most likely a nail biter.

For three quarters it was extremely one sided in fairness. Rivers had -11 passing yards at halftime and if Decker hadn't made a balls of things on two separate occasions at the end of the first half it was a 21-0 lead and game over. Bit of a misnomer about the Chargers D too. We only had 8 possessions, a season low. Never punted, missed a FG in high winds and the turnovers were a deflection and a fumble that wasn't. Held a significant advantage in TOP, giving San Diego a taste of their own medicine. It wasn't the sort of offensive showing that was going to produce an explosion of points, especially with 20 mile an hour cross winds. What it was, however, was clinical. Denver's secondary was also more banged up than theirs by the end, Jammer and Huff were out there seeing significant playing time at the end and couldnt cover for ****.

Though its moot, i do expect it to be very tight and those are the sort of games that NE thrive and we wilt. Chris Harris likely being out is also a huge blow and Kayvon Webster will once again be tormented by Brady in all likelihood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Well Pats fans - looking forward to next Sunday. I agree that it has the potential for a cracking game of football.

I think the balance has tipped slightly in the Pats favour given the injury last night to Harris. The Broncos secondary is now decimated and only has one starter playing. The Broncos are relying on the likes of Quntin Jammer and Omar Bolden who couldn't find the opening from inside a paper bag. If Brady is firing he can pick the Broncos secondary apart if those two are on the field. I expect the Pats to use four and five wideouts a lot to put those two in play and then keep hitting open receivers as they can't play pass defence.

Edit - I see spiralism was making exactly the same points while I was typing.

spiralism wrote: »
    For three quarters it was extremely one sided in fairness. Rivers had -11 passing yards at halftime and if Decker hadn't made a balls of things on two separate occasions at the end of the first half it was a 21-0 lead and game over.

I already said the Chargers offense was the problem so no idea why you feel the need to point that out.
    Bit of a misnomer about the Chargers D too. We only had 8 possessions, a season low. Never punted, missed a FG in high winds and the turnovers were a deflection and a fumble that wasn't. Held a significant advantage in TOP, giving San Diego a taste of their own medicine. It wasn't the sort of offensive showing that was going to produce an explosion of points, especially with 20 mile an hour cross winds. What it was, however, was clinical. Denver's secondary was also more banged up than theirs by the end, Jammer and Huff were out there seeing significant playing time at the end and couldnt cover for ****.

I didn't expect Denver fans to give the Chargers defense any props for keeping the game as tight as it was for 3 qtrs and you and JRG have proven that. If you want to make excuses for the Denver Offense and say those are the reasons why that is fair enough. But look at a lot of the reports including the commentators most of them agree the Chargers defense kept them in the game. But hey that is your opinion.
    Though its moot, i do expect it to be very tight and those are the sort of games that NE thrive and we wilt. Chris Harris likely being out is also a huge blow and Kayvon Webster will once again be tormented by Brady in all likelihood.

The excuses already starting before Sunday eh? Christ the Patriots are banged up all over the shop.

• Advertisement

I already said the Chargers offense was the problem so no idea why you feel the need to point that out.

I didn't expect Denver fans to give the Chargers defense any props for keeping the game as tight as it was for 3 qtrs and you and JRG have proven that. If you want to make excuses for the Denver Offense and say those are the reasons why that is fair enough. But look at a lot of the reports including the commentators most of them agree the Chargers defense kept them in the game. But hey that is your opinion.

The excuses already starting before Sunday eh? Christ the Patriots are banged up all over the shop.

It was tight because it was that sort of game. It was a lot like when we first matched up with them in Qualcomm really. But all that separated that game from a blowout was Decker tripping over himself with 30 yards of open field in front of him or having stone hands on 3rd and goal at the end of the first half. I have noticed that yeah but it's giving them a bit more credit than they're due, we were quite clinical and consistently moved the chains all night, no punts being the key indicator. It wasn't the same explosiveness but it did what it was asked in tough conditions.

We're crippled all season too so the injury shtick from Pats fans won't fly with us either, that's my point. We've had two of our best three players (Clady and Miller) play about 8 weeks between the pair of them and our aging HOF corner has had a niggling injury that has meant he's hardly seen the field. Lost our most consistent corner to an ACL the week of the AFC championship. The secondary is a total mess, Huff and Jammer aren't anywhere near starters anymore yet there they are.

I didn't expect Denver fans to give the Chargers defense any props for keeping the game as tight as it was for 3 qtrs and you and JRG have proven that.
    T.O. I made zero comment on here about the Chargers defence but on the Chargers thread I acknowledged that they kept the Chargers in the game.
    If you want to make excuses for the Denver Offense and say those are the reasons why that is fair enough. But look at a lot of the reports including the commentators most of them agree the Chargers defense kept them in the game. But hey that is your opinion.
    The Broncos offence was dominant in the 1st half. They went out with a gameplan to get in front and stayed there. The Broncos offence in the second half went vanilla much like they have done in similar situations in other games. I think this could be a conscious decision to keep something back for next Sunday. Saying that the Chargers defence played tough and hung in. The Chargers offence was non-existant for 3 qtrs and that was primarily down to the pressure on Rivers from the Broncos D.
    Not an excuse - But a recognition of the impact of the injury. Yes the Pats are banged up - but the Broncos defence has been decimated by injury in recent weeks.

Out are -
    Vickerson, Wolfe, Miller, Moore, and Harris (that's the best LB in the NFL, two starting DL men and two starters in the secondary) coupled with the following playing hurt - Bailey, Woodyard, Ihenacho and Webster.

Despite this - I think the Broncos match up well with the Pats and I believe they will win on Sunday.

It was tight because it was that sort of game. It was a lot like when we first matched up with them in Qualcomm really. But all that separated that game from a blowout was Decker tripping over himself with 30 yards of open field in front of him or having stone hands on 3rd and goal at the end of the first half. I have noticed that yeah but it's giving them a bit more credit than they're due, we were quite clinical and consistently moved the chains all night, no punts being the key indicator. It wasn't the same explosiveness but it did what it was asked in tough conditions.

Fair enough that is your opinion. I am not going to discuss anymore of the Chargers Broncos game in here as I was only using it for a point of reference going forward for other Pats fans. There is 2 or 3 other threads already discussing it.

Not an excuse - But a recognition of the impact of the injury. Yes the Pats are banged up - but the Broncos defence has been decimated by injury in recent weeks.

Out are -
    Vickerson, Wolfe, Miller, Moore, and Harris (that's the best LB in the NFL, two starting DL men and two starters in the secondary) coupled with the following playing hurt - Bailey, Woodyard, Ihenacho and Webster.

And what the Pats D haven't been?

IR
    Wilfork, Mayo, Spikes, Kelly

Playing hurt:
    Gregory, McCourty, Arrington Dennard and Talib.

Not to mention the injuries and loses our offense has. I am sorry but using injuries as an excuse or even pointing them out at this point to play down your own chances is pointless at best given the team you are playing against has over come a lot worse in my eyes but you don't see us using them as a excuses anymore as the Pats continue to surprise us all and over come them.

I am sorry but using injuries as an excuse or even pointing them out at this point to play down your own chances is pointless at best given the team you are playing against has over come a lot worse in my eyes but you don't see us using them as a excuses anymore as the Pats continue to surprise us all and over come them.
    1. I am not using anything as an excuse - injuries happen - and the Broncos approach is 'next man up'. The injury to Harris is devastating for him as he has been very good all season and deserved to be part of the run to the SB.
    2. I am not playing down the chances of the Broncos winning. I think the Broncos will win - losing Harris means a change in approach on defence as the Broncos cannot rely on the secondary to beat Brady. This will lead to JDR focusing more on using blitzes to pressure Brady. The big question is whether Brady can take advantage. That is a big question given the injury to Gronk and the lack of talent at WR.
    3. The Pats have overcome injuries - so have the Broncos - Clark has stepped up and played well at LT instead of Clady - Rameriez has played well at C even though he was third on the depth chart - Wlliams, Unrein and Jackson have all stepped up on the DL - despite a devastated secondary with poor back-ups the Broncos have managed to keep teams from scoring a lot of points.
    4. We could play who has had worse injuries and who has coped better for the rest of the week. End result it is the players on the pitch who have to win the game - and I have confidence in the Broncos players doing the job.

I think the balance has tipped slightly in the Pats favour given the injury last night to Harris.

You are having a laugh there surely? No team in the league has been wiped out with injuries the way we have have this season. So that excuse doesn't cut it in here.
    the Broncos approach is 'next man up'.

I thought you were Belichick for a minute when I read that becasue that's his mantra down the years.

Anyway, RE: next Sunday's game. The Broncos are the clear favorites, playing at home and with a perfectly unscathed offense. What Brady wouldn't do to have such luxury.

Difference is though that the Pats have Belichick and he can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear with his defensive schemes. We've a **** ton of injuries and our defence hasnt been able to stop anybody all year and Del Rio's schemes have been ruthlessly exploited on several occasions. Losing our best CB this season the week Tom Brady comes to down is rough going to say the least.

The Broncos are the clear favorites,
    I would agree
    playing at home
    Definitely an advantage
    and with a perfectly unscathed offense.
    Matter of opinion - losing a pro-bowl LT protecting Manning's blind side is hardly unscathed.
    What Brady wouldn't do to have such luxury.
    Maybe you should ask BB about that - after all he is the one who put the roster together.

I would agree

See I am not following you here as your first post today tells us the balance has shifted to the Pats and you have then backtracked and told us you now think the Broncos will win and are clearly favourites.

Matter of opinion - losing a pro-bowl LT protecting Manning's blind side is hardly unscathed.

You have gone 90% of the season without Clady. He went down in September didn't he.

Maybe you should ask BB about that - after all he is the one who put the roster together.

Such a pathetic and ignorant thing to say and nothing more than a jab and the same sh1te that has gotten you in trouble before. Everybody in the NFL knows that the loss of Hernandez and even Gronk were beyond the control of Bill. Add the injuries to Amendola and the rookies and there is nothing he can do about it. No Pats fan is going to blame a HC on how the season has gone especially when we are in the AFC Champ game and exceeded all our expectations after all the loses.

• Advertisement

Difference is though that the Pats have Belichick and he can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear with his defensive schemes. We've a **** ton of injuries and our defence hasnt been able to stop anybody all year and Del Rio's schemes have been ruthlessly exploited on several occasions. Losing our best CB this season the week Tom Brady comes to down is rough going to say the least.

There's no need to be fearing Brady because his pass attack is in pieces. There was no mystery to our run game last week - it was a necessity. I told the Colts lads in advance and it rang true in the game. We just had to run the ball. There is only so much you can do with two slot WR's in Edelman & Amendola. They offer no wide/deep threat. Because of all our injuries, our passing game is now very dimensional. so because of the injuries we have to resign Collie, another slot guy. So have 3 slot WRs' to bring to the battle, predictable much?

Against these undersized slot guys, you defense will easily flood the middle of the field and shut them down. That's what the Ravens did last year, Gronk was injured, Hernandez was not 100% with his ankle and we had no outside options. So that's why it doesn't matter to me what you guys lose from the secondary. Our WR corp is banjaxed. Now if we had Gronk fit then yes, you should rightly be worried because nobody can shut him down. Gronk will carry 3-4 guys down the field on his back. But alas he's injured again when he's most needed.

So our best hope is the run game. Now we ran the ball wild against the Bills and Colts. But these are teams that have the 28th and 26th run defenses in the league. But you guys have the 8th best run defense in the league this year. Now that's big step up in ranking. If we can run the ball as well agaisnt you guys the way we did against the Colts, then I think we could do it. But I'm not holding my breath on that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement