Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

SK1979 wrote: »
    In the end we just ran out of steam and into a far superior team. Do you guys have enough faith in the two young wideouts or is there some big bodied receiver entering free agency that we could make a move for?

Also the guys questioning Talib I'd say we'll know the answer whether he could of played by whether bill decides to keep him or not.

riley cooper had a pretty **** hot season this year with a qb that has a similar style to brady (somebody called him a poor mans brady at this stage of his career anyway)

i think ye have to go for someone in round 1 or 2. i think ye really should have taken patterson with yere first last year could have beed a different season with him(hindsights grand i know)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

riley cooper had a pretty **** hot season this year with a qb that has a similar style to brady (somebody called him a poor mans brady at this stage of his career anyway)

i think ye have to go for someone in round 1 or 2. i think ye really should have taken patterson with yere first last year could have beed a different season with him(hindsights grand i know)

Wasn't there talk of josh Gordon being available for a trade during the season? Presume that's a non-runner now!

SK1979 wrote: »
    Wasn't there talk of josh Gordon being available for a trade during the season? Presume that's a non-runner now!

not a hope id say:D you could probably get him if you threw the house at the browns but thats not really the patriot way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

not a hope id say:D you could probably get him if you threw the house at the browns but thats not really the patriot way

Very true. We prefer to get a 7,000th round draft pick as developmental prospect.:pac:

Very true. We prefer to get a 7,000th round draft pick as developmental prospect.:pac:

in fairness its the best way to run a franchise.

btw hows ryan mallett looking these days lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

I just hope were not here again next year saying the same thing, Hope Bill goes and gets someone.

in fairness its the best way to run a franchise.

Yes it is, I was only messing. But I'd much rather if we had of getting a bigger WR like Boldin than the likes of Amendola. Edelman was always earmarked to be the Wes successor. I think half the reason we got Amendola, was because Julian had ongoing durability issues. He's had a fine season this year and has been really durable.
    btw hows ryan mallett looking these days lads

Hard to know without any game time, but he's a good kid. He has really worked hard for the franchise, put in some excellent pregame preps as scout QB, won a fair few player of the week jerseys this year and no doubt he has learned a lot from Brady. Last preseason, he looked confident and assured leading the offense. You could see the improvement from 2012. But I don't want to ever see him on the field until Brady retires.

Yes it is, I was only messing. But I'd much rather if we had of getting a bigger WR like Boldin than the likes of Amendola. Edelman was always earmarked to be the Wes successor. I think half the reason we got Amendola, was because Julian had ongoing durability issues. He's had a fine season this year and has been really durable.

Hard to know without any game time, but he's a good kid. He has really worked hard for the franchise, put in some excellent pregame preps as scout QB, won a fair few player of the week jerseys this year and no doubt he has learned a lot from Brady. Last preseason, he looked confident and assured leading the offense. You could see the improvement from 2012. But I don't want to ever see him on the field until Brady retires.

i think ye need one to be fair brady has done insane work with average receivers for a lot of his career but (and i know this is blasphemy :D) i think hes on the downturn as a player still going to be one of the best in the league but i think hes losing some arm strength and he has to put a lot more into deep balls hence a few are off target (not just an overreaction from today i thought this anyway) still one of the smartest qbs out there though i just think he need the weapons to do some work for him now.

loved mallett coming out of the draft thought it was great value for ye good to hear he seems to be doing well

i think ye need one to be fair brady has done insane work with average receivers for a lot of his career but (and i know this is blasphemy :D) i think hes on the downturn as a player still going to be one of the best in the league but i think hes losing some arm strength and he has to put a lot more into deep balls hence a few are off target (not just an overreaction from today i thought this anyway) still one of the smartest qbs out there though i just think he need the weapons to do some work for him now.

loved mallett coming out of the draft thought it was great value for ye good to hear he seems to be doing well

Think back to the November game, Manning couldn't throw the ball in the savage wind he just hadn't the arm strength, but Brady threw his best balls all season. The first deep pass tonight was spot on for me and as I said in the game thread. Put the 6'3" Dobson out there and he's taking that ball. You can't play a deep game with runty slots. I missed some of the other passes so can't comment on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Think back to the November game, Manning couldn't throw the ball in the savage wind he just hadn't the arm strength, but Brady threw his best balls all season. The first deep pass tonight was spot on for me and as I said in the game thread. Put the 6'3" Dobson out there and he's taking that ball. You can't play a deep game with runty slots. I missed some of the other passes so can't comment on them.

He over threw a couple alright, but all QB's over throw now and then Manning over threw tonight but it didnt cost as much because he kept getting chances, no pressure on him.

Brady has got to be practically perfect with his throw every single time. Thats just not humanly possible.

• Advertisement

to be fair peytons had what 3 neck surgeries i think he knows his arm is not the same but again a very very intelligent player

missed that game earlier in the year so cant comment on it iv just seen him misstrow a few balls over the last 2 years that he wouldn't have a few years ago imo. dont watch even close to the amount of games ye do so im in no position to argue with any of ye if ye disagree

to be fair peytons had what 3 neck surgeries i think he knows his arm is not the same but again a very very intelligent player

missed that game earlier in the year so cant comment on it iv just seen him misstrow a few balls over the last 2 years that he wouldn't have a few years ago imo. dont watch even close to the amount of games ye do so im in no position to argue with any of ye if ye disagree

I love Peyton and tbh there wasn't much wrong with his game this year after the surgery. Of course players who are 14 years + in the league will overthrow and under throw on occasion. Christ the kiddy QB's in the league do it all the time. But Brady's and Manning body of work down the years is virtually perfection. No amount of 'arm' could make up for their game brains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Hard luck Pats fans, great season by yous with everything considered

I love Peyton and tbh there wasn't much wrong with his game this year after the surgery. Of course players who are 14 years + in the league will overthrow and under throw on occasion. Christ the kiddy QB's in the league do it all the time. But Brady's and Manning body of work down the years is virtually perfection. No amount of 'arm' could make up for their game brains.

i agree i think arm strength is massively overrated

frostie500 wrote: »
    Hard luck Pats fans, great season by yous with everything considered

Cheers, ya we exceeded expectation. But human nature being what it is, you start getting greedy and fantasising about an amazing episode of America's Game.:(

i agree i think arm strength is massively overrated

I have to agree, plenty of canon arms in the NFL with not a game winning brain between them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Some effort by Brady & Co this season. Deserves immense credit for performing when losing so many stars (from both sides of the ball tbf)

What will ye be doing in draft & free agency. Decker or Nicks (if ye could get him fit) would be a massive help to Brady. One of the talented trio of TE's in the 1st round?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Shame about the end, but a great season overall considering what happened to the squad.

There's a clear need for more talent at receiver, but based on last night I think our biggest need is in the trenches.

The Broncos won last night because they were dominant on both Offensive and Defensive lines.

We failed to get pressure on Manning, and our run game was non-existent....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

I never shook that sick feeling i had all day even towards half time so i figured my gut was telling me what was gonna happen. Run game was shut down early enough and Brady & WRs didn't start firing until the second half.

Shame to go out in such a whimper, although they started to play ball late in the 4th but on reflection i have no problem with Denver going to the final on the back of the season they've had.

Oh well, what to do now with Sundays! ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I think the O line needs to be looked at, I know injuries played there part and losing guys like Vollmer is gonna be a challenge to any team, but protecting Tom is over half the battle tbh, he makes ordinary receivers look great when he isnt getting hit and sacked every second play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Fox1978

Well must say that was the most enjoyable AFC Championship loss ever. Yeah kinda weird to say right. But I just didn't feel too bummed and angry at the end. There wasn't any yelling at the TV. There was a resignation of sorts - right about after the first quarter. Completely outplayed and didn't deserve to win. The two best teams in the NFL are in the Superbowl. Again, it comes down to the fact that the Pats offense just didn't show up. In previous years though they had the weapons. This year they just didn't have the firepower so in a way one couldn't be disappointed. It was kind of "well, what do you expect".

Going forward, we really need to get some top flight WR talent. We were unlucky with the injuries and it really grates that we again had to deal with a Talib injury in the final game of the season, plus again losing Gronk. He makes such a difference and with him in the game it could've made such a difference as opens up the field. Talib was so good at the start of the season and if we'd kept that level of play for the remainder it would've again made a huge difference on D.

Some plus points going forward are obviously Jamie Collins. Chandler Jones is improving but still isn't what we hoped he'd be. Logan Ryan was a nice surprise at times. Blount played well down the stretch but he ain't elite RB talent. Was disappointed Vereen was so quiet towards end of season but if they could magically fix Ridley's fumbles we'd have a decent RB platoon. Agree that Amendola was disappointing. He's no Welker replacement thus far but Edelman was a strength.

Anyhow, onto 2014!

C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Looking towards 2014 and some of the guys we're likely to see on both sides of the ball.

Defence
    Wilfork, Kelly, Chris Jones, Vellano, Siliga, Ninkovich, Cha Jones
    Hightower, Mayo, Fletcher, Collins
    Ryan, Dennard, Arrington, Talib (hopefully at the right price),
    McCourty, Gregory

Offence
    Tom
    Mankins, Cannon, Wendell, Vollmer
    Gronk, Hoomanawanui
    Bolden, Ridley, Vereen, Blount (not sure we'l pay him the money he might expect)
    Amendola, Dobson, Edelman, Thompkins, Boyce,

Kicker/Punter
    Allen, Gostkowski

We appear to be well set on defence. We started the year very well, then the injuries kicked in, but hopefully the likes of Chris Jones, Vellano, Siliga, Ryan and Collins will benefit from their extended playing time (and two playoff games).
    The big question for the defence, can/will they keep Talib. His injury situation will be as important as the money he wants.

Looking at the offence, it kinda stands out that Gronk is our only elite receiver that we have when we need a big play.
    And apart from Gronk, the TE situation is unrecognizable from previous years. It'll have to be addressed.

Of the three rookie receivers, I felt that Dobson looked the best, but Thompkins had some good production and Boyce has some moments late into the season. Early season drops by Dobson and Thompkins seemed to dissipate, thankfully.
    Edelman had an excellent year, but Amendola (perhaps due to injury) didn't justify the money spent on him.

The plan at the start of the year would have been the two TE's doing what they did previously, with Edelman and Amendola in the slot, and the rookies providing some production at WR.
    If they can bring in another guy to complement Gronk, then that may be the plan for next year as well.

If Blount wants big money, he'll be off. Ridley, Vereen and Bolden will then probably stay.

Got to give huge credit to the rookie Allen, big first year.
    Gost also had a good year.

Of course the Hendandez situation will be a big factor in terms of signings.
    Can they recover his cap money? It's going to be another big off season!

BKWDR wrote: »
    Shame to go out in such a whimper, although they started to play ball late in the 4th but on reflection i have no problem with Denver going to the final on the back of the season they've had.

And that's why I wouldn't call it a whimper, because of that very 4th quarter fight. Prior to the 2 point conversion attempt, you could tell the whole stadium was shyting a diamond. They were probably thinking "Oh god, here comes Brady again."
    kryogen wrote: »
    I think the O line needs to be looked at, I know injuries played there part and losing guys like Vollmer is gonna be a challenge to any team, but protecting Tom is over half the battle tbh, he makes ordinary receivers look great when he isnt getting hit and sacked every second play

In the words of Hulk Hogan - "Amen Brother."

They have been very poor throughout the season, it starts with them and they didn't get it done. Protect Brady the way Manning got protected and you have a different end to the season.

Once again we had a game with some questionable play calling from McDaniel's. Pretty obvious after the failed 2 point conversion that Brady wasn't happy and I think it was more to do with the call than with the failure. As OC, McDaniel's is responsible for personnel groupings on the field. So what in God's name was he doing trying to get Vereen to punch through the 2 point conversion. That's not what Vereen is good at, he is not a short power yardage kind of RB. That's what Blount or Ridley is for. Another example of McDaniel's trying to be too clever for his own good. And that's not the first time I've said that this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Edelman had an excellent year, but Amendola (perhaps due to injury) didn't justify the money spent on him.

Unless he takes a pay cut, I'd be surprised to see Amendola back next year. Just like Lloyd last year, he wasn't the player we signed him to be. And then that will free up money to pay Edelman!

infacteh wrote: »
    Unless he takes a pay cut, I'd be surprised to see Amendola back next year. Just like Lloyd last year, he wasn't the player we signed him to be. And then that will free up money to pay Edelman!

Now there has been a lot of talk about Amendola's groin remaining an issue and needing surgery. Which undoubtedly affected his route running ability, lateral movements and cuts. But despite all that, we don't need him. Edelman's has been immense, all he was missing from his game was durability and he's now shown it all season. With a decimated WR corp coming into the season, Brady needed Edelman more than ever and the guy really delivered.Time to pay the man, he was very emotional after the game yesterday, he loves this team and gave his all throughout the season. And if we let him go, I will be very, very angry.

With the speedy and perfectly sized Josh Boyce, we can develop him the same way we groomed Julian to take over from Wes someday. I think Collie has been a very good signing and I'd like to keep him and we could work a value deal. But no, we do not need Amendola and we could do with freeing up some money. I didn't want him last year and this year has only cemented my opinion. With Edelman, Collie and Boyce we have more than enough slot sized guys on the roster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Bill is not happy this morning about the hit on Talib. Calling it 'one of the worst plays he's ever seen ' and a deliberate attempt to take Talib out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dh1985

Edelman has replaced welkers production. Think that amendola was unluckly in a way that edelman stepped up as much as he did as he may have been targeted otherwise. Think they will stick with the young recievers who did show some bright spots. Hopefully dobson will develop into a monster. Patriots should have looked at bringing brandon marshall into the set up in 2012 instead of lloyd. Since randy moss we have fannied around with ochocinco branch and lloyd. While marshall is been marshall with the bears. Hopefully they resign talib. He dominated in the first half of the season before injury. Bit disappointed with the way chandler jones season finished. Sort off died off after a good start or am I been unfair. Hopefully collie is kept. He seems like an honest guy who did his bit here and there. Need a tight end too. I hear jimmy graham is free. (As if)

dh1985 wrote: »
    I hear jimmy graham is free. (As if)

Could you imagine Gronk and Graham on the same team.

* drools *

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Could you imagine Gronk and Graham on the same team.

* drools *
    Graham isn't going anywhere though.
    Imagine the Saints without him. They can't let him go.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement