Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭dh1985

Could you imagine Gronk and Graham on the same team.

* drools *

It has a certain ring to it. The double G's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

OK enough is enough -

Jolly Red Giant - do not post in this thread again or you will be forum banned for a week for ignoring mod instruction. PM me or any of the mods if you wish to discuss.

General warning - Address the POST, not the POSTER and REPORT suspected cases of flaming, trolling, abuse etc. Anyone from this moment forward who backseat mods in this thread will be forum banned for a week for ignoring mod instruction.

This warning will be earmarked in the thread title and will be considered final. The duty is on each poster to have read it and act accordingly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Unlucky last night lads, in fairness beaten by a better team but the fact that the Patriots had a great season even when decimated by injuries won't really help the sinking feeling that is a championship game loss.

Really is the worst game to lose. Roll on May and the draft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

The experience that a lot of rookies got this year will be invaluable going forward- and the adversity, team spirit and willingsness to win that the team has faced and exuded are again going to be invaluable... As said, another receiving target other than Gronk and this team will be a different animal. Amendola can go, as can Blount and Talib hopefully can be resigned.

Brady had a very mixed season and it's hard to call whether it is the tools he had to work with or if he is on the way out, amybe a bit of both...Still, give the man some receiving options like Manning had last night and it would have been a different result.

I refuse to focus on the negatives however- Given everything that has happen the team since last year and some of the performances and comebacks we witnessed- it was a very good season all in all- lets hope with a good off season Bill gets the personnel to make it a great season next year.

I'll be jumping on the Seahawks bandwagon from here on in :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

adrian522 wrote: »
    Unlucky last night lads, in fairness beaten by a better team but the fact that the Patriots had a great season even when decimated by injuries won't really help the sinking feeling that is a championship game loss.
    We were very much beaten by the better team, but it kinda went as I feared it might.
    Looking at this weekends game.
    No Gronk, Hernandez, Dobson, Boyce, and Thompkins picked up an injury on just his third target in the game.
    Denver have a decent secondary, and I'm not sure that we'll have the ability to go long when required without the deep threat players been available.
    We could see the Pats go to the running game again, but the Broncos aren't weak there, so it's unlikely to be as beneficial.
    Dobson did play, but was limited. Edelman had a good game, and some credit to Collie, but the big play-makers just weren't there.

I do have to give credit to the team. This was a hell of a year, and the guys never stopped or gave up. Hell, even pulled this game back to 10pts (and who knows what may have happened if we got the 2pts conversion).

But Denver were deserving winners, and I hope that Manning can get that ring, but as I've said in the Championship thread I think that Seattle will edge it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Speaking off Talib, we better look for a discount if we resign him. He's guaranteed to miss 4-6 games a year and there's no way you can pay a guy like that top dollar. Going out in back to back AFC title games says it all. Considering his injury history, I hope he doesn't try and hold us to ransom.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭henryhenry

Re Amendola comments above:

On his weekly WEEI interview this morning, Brady was asked about Amendola's contribution this year. There was a long pause before he started with the usual cliches. I get the feeling there might be a chemistry issue there or at least something deeper than Danny playing hurt.

I don't see Gregory or Blount returning and I'm utterly torn on Talib and not just because of the injuries. I honestly think he's a little inconsistent too.

My dream (and vaguely achievable) move is Larry Fitzgerald. Do it Bill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Was somewhat taken aback at how unguarded BB's comments were with regards the Welker-Talib tackle. For him to make that level of condemnation unprovoked and stir up a hornet's nest of attention is something quite rare. Seems genuinely annoyed by the play.

Say what you will about Welker, his motives or lack of motive, getting Talib out of the game made the Broncos' passage to the Super Bowl far easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 AlwaysOutraged

henryhenry wrote: »
    Re Amendola comments above:

On his weekly WEEI interview this morning, Brady was asked about Amendola's contribution this year. There was a long pause before he started with the usual cliches. I get the feeling there might be a chemistry issue there or at least something deeper than Danny playing hurt.

I don't see Gregory or Blount returning and I'm utterly torn on Talib and not just because of the injuries. I honestly think he's a little inconsistent too.

My dream (and vaguely achievable) move is Larry Fitzgerald. Do it Bill!

Top 25 FAs

1. Jimmy Graham, New Orleans Saints tight end
    2. Greg Hardy, Carolina Panthers defensive end
    3. Brian Orakpo, Washington Redskins linebacker
    4. Jairus Byrd, Buffalo Bills safety
    5. T.J. Ward, Cleveland Browns safety
    6. Alterraun Verner, Tennessee Titans cornerback
    7. Branden Albert, Kansas City Chiefs left tackle
    8. Michael Johnson, Cincinnati Bengals defensive end
    9. Lamarr Houston, Oakland Raiders defensive end
    10. Brent Grimes, Miami Dolphins cornerback
    11. Eugene Monroe, Baltimore Ravens left tackle
    12. Vontae Davis, Indianapolis Colts cornerback
    13. Linval Joseph, New York Giants defensive tackle
    14. Jason Hatcher, Dallas Cowboys defensive tackle
    15. Jared Veldheer, Oakland Raiders left tackle
    16. Aqib Talib, New England Patriots cornerback
    17. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Denver Broncos cornerback
    18. Alex Mack, Cleveland Browns center
    19. Eric Decker, Denver Broncos wide receiver
    20. Michael Bennett, Seattle Seahawks defensive end
    21. B.J. Raji, Green Bay Packers defensive tackle
    22. Sam Shields, Green Bay Packers cornerback
    23. Walter Thurmond, Seattle Seahawks cornerback
    24. Donald Butler, San Diego Chargers linebacker
    25. Randy Starks, Miami Dolphins defensive tackle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Top 25 FAs

1. Jimmy Graham, New Orleans Saints tight end
    2. Greg Hardy, Carolina Panthers defensive end
    3. Brian Orakpo, Washington Redskins linebacker
    4. Jairus Byrd, Buffalo Bills safety
    5. T.J. Ward, Cleveland Browns safety
    6. Alterraun Verner, Tennessee Titans cornerback
    7. Branden Albert, Kansas City Chiefs left tackle
    8. Michael Johnson, Cincinnati Bengals defensive end
    9. Lamarr Houston, Oakland Raiders defensive end
    10. Brent Grimes, Miami Dolphins cornerback
    11. Eugene Monroe, Baltimore Ravens left tackle
    12. Vontae Davis, Indianapolis Colts cornerback
    13. Linval Joseph, New York Giants defensive tackle
    14. Jason Hatcher, Dallas Cowboys defensive tackle
    15. Jared Veldheer, Oakland Raiders left tackle
    16. Aqib Talib, New England Patriots cornerback
    17. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Denver Broncos cornerback
    18. Alex Mack, Cleveland Browns center
    19. Eric Decker, Denver Broncos wide receiver
    20. Michael Bennett, Seattle Seahawks defensive end
    21. B.J. Raji, Green Bay Packers defensive tackle
    22. Sam Shields, Green Bay Packers cornerback
    23. Walter Thurmond, Seattle Seahawks cornerback
    24. Donald Butler, San Diego Chargers linebacker
    25. Randy Starks, Miami Dolphins defensive tackle

I looked up PFF too...imagine bagging Graham... Saints surelybtie him down with a big deal...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Id say a lot of those guys will be re-signed by their respective teams. Can't see Graham not being a Saint by the start of next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭henryhenry

@AlwaysOutraged

I should have said try to make a trade instead of "move". A lot of talent on that list though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I don't have the 2014 figures but a quick check for the 2013 figures has the TE franchise tag at a shade over 6 million.

Outside of kicker & punter it's the lowest paid position. Safety is second lowest

So I'm sure teams who want to tag their TE can find a way to do it while they work on a deal

A problem may be if Jimmy Graham argues for the far higher wide receiver tag.
    Terelle Suggs did this a few years ago arguing he was a defensive end when he got tagged as a linebacker.

They get out the tape and watch all snaps and work it out

Sorry, not realy Patriots related

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I don't have the 2014 figures but a quick check for the 2013 figures has the TE franchise tag at a shade over 6 million.

Outside of kicker & punter it's the lowest paid position. Safety is second lowest

So I'm sure teams who want to tag their TE can find a way to do it while they work on a deal

A problem may be if Jimmy Graham argues for the far higher wide receiver tag.
    Terelle Suggs did this a few years ago arguing he was a defensive end when he got tagged as a linebacker.

They get out the tape and watch all snaps and work it out

Sorry, not realy Patriots related

Nothing to be sorry about there mike, you make a good point. Graham is a WR in all but name and he will have a good case for the pay day. I overlooked that, so even in the remote chance of him being available, we won't be paying him a WR salary.

Was it just my imagination in thinking that Gregory and McCourty played poorly last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Was it just my imagination in thinking that Gregory and McCourty played poorly last night?

I'm no expert but I thought mccourty was poor enough. I seem to recall him missing a couple of tackles.

Do we miss a very hard hitter at safety? I don't think any of them really smash anyone do they?

henryhenry wrote: »
    I don't see Gregory or Blount returning and I'm utterly torn on Talib and not just because of the injuries.

Gregory is more likely to go imo. Dire again last night and his salary against the cap next year is not good. Blount will stay if he's not greedy. Similarly, Talib will stay if he realises he isn't the healthiest of commodities and accepts a realistic contract.

But speaking of Blount, it was a disappointing night. I said it after the Bills and Colts game, that we needed to be see how good the run is against a good run defense. The Colts and Bills were 26th and 28th in the league, the Broncos were 8th and we got our answer last night. And I can't still figure it out why McDaniel's used a finesse RB like Vereen, to try and power through for the 2 point conversion. When the play was calling out for Blount.

SK1979 wrote: »
    I'm no expert but I thought mccourty was poor enough. I seem to recall him missing a couple of tackles.

Do we miss a very hard hitter at safety? I don't think any of them really smash anyone do they?

They're lightweights in the middle alright. Adrian Wilson was signed to address that issue but even before he got injured, he was woefully slow in pass coverage to the point of being a liability. Come to think of it, he was a perfect fit back there. :(

I thought that both McCourthy and Gregory were having good seasons, then both picked up injuries, and neither have come back the same player. Then again, that may have coincided with Talib picking up his injury as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

For me Arrington, Gregory and Talib need to go at this point. Other than them I think our defense is in a good place when Wilfork and Mayo come back. Plenty of good Corners and Safeties on FA and in the draft.

• Advertisement

I thought that both McCourthy and Gregory were having good seasons, then both picked up injuries, and neither have come back the same player. Then again, that may have coincided with Talib picking up his injury as well.

They were and my criticism is directed really at last nights game. They were caught to many times standing off plays and as result were slow getting to the breakdown. And as you said, how much of that was a result of Talib going out? But isn't it scary to think that our secondary depends so much on one man, he goes down and the rest fall apart.It's a problem we need to plan for next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

TO. wrote: »
    For me Arrington, Gregory and Talib need to go at this point. Other than them I think our defense is in a good place when Wilfork and Mayo come back. Plenty of good Corners and Safeties on FA and in the draft.

I'd like Talib to stay but only at the right price, for the last 3 year's I've been waiting and hoping for Arrington to be cut but Bill seems to like him for some reason so he'll be back.

Gregory doesn't offer much for the money he's on so he can go.

TO. wrote: »
    For me Arrington

Christ how did I overlook him, I think we were all shocked when he got the contract last year. As a CB he is a disaster and this disastrous play has now spread to his slot role. But no doubt we'll keep him because look how it took us to get rid of Chung.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

I know it's a bit late - just in work tonight. Congratulations on an extremely good season and just coming up short. I was worried all week that the Patriots would turn us over in Denver the way the Colts game had gone, but I suppose the lack of weapons eventually caught up with the Pats. Masterful job this season, and gave us some great finishes (wins and losses) over the course of the year. See you all in playoffs again next year.

Well done on the deserved win poldebruin.
    Hope ye go all the way now, but I suspect that Seattle defence may prove to be the difference.
    Still, in with a shot is better than not :)

im supprised there are a few people saying to let blount go hes not adrian Peterson but hes a good back who can probably be got for pennys.

im supprised there are a few people saying to let blount go hes not adrian Peterson but hes a good back who can probably be got for pennys.
    The issue is that he may want his payday, otherwise he's a good option.
    As has been stated, he torn apart poor run defences, but we didn't see that production all season long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

The issue is that he may want his payday, otherwise he's a good option.
    As has been stated, he torn apart poor run defences, but we didn't see that production all season long.

even if he wanted his payday the payday for an RB is quite small anyway at the minute. Unless youre an AP the cost of a RB that can do a lot isnt too high. If you've got a back like Blount that can do a bit of everything then he's worth keeping. It's only if the back is a liability catching out of the backfield that you find the big paydays dont work out. I'd keep him if I was the Pats for one simple reason-he's a good fit for the offence and they know what they get with him. The offence needs work with WR aid needed and another TE to team with Gronk so solidifying the running back position could be useful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Personally I'd like to see us keep Talib, grab Decker in FA and maybe some better OL/DL depth.

Draft should be used to build better depth at Corner, Safety, Linebacker & TE.

I reckon Blount will be gone, he showed enough towards the end of the season to get a better payday elsewhere. Ridley/Vereeen/Boulden is good enough to work with if the OL & Receiver gets some work.

Defensive front is looking great if they can stay healthy...Wilfork, Kelly, Jones, Ninkovich, Mayo, Hightower and Collins...

• Advertisement

poldebruin wrote: »
    I know it's a bit late - just in work tonight. Congratulations on an extremely good season and just coming up short. I was worried all week that the Patriots would turn us over in Denver the way the Colts game had gone, but I suppose the lack of weapons eventually caught up with the Pats. Masterful job this season, and gave us some great finishes (wins and losses) over the course of the year. See you all in playoffs again next year.

The kind of post that reminds me, that thankfully the majority of rival team fans in this forum are a pretty sound and decent bunch. I've wished your Broncos luck in your team thread and I'll do it again here. Now go win it for the AFC.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement