Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Tristram wrote: »
    Welker and Talib are two players I think most teams would love to have on their roster.

I was more sad to see Welker leave and honestly he was a much bigger loss IMHO.
    Talib had some great games but he was hit and miss at the best of times too. Fitting that he should go to the Broncos after the championship game....

G'luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Only way the Pats are going to match Denvers off season splurge is to re-negotiate contracts all over the place. Wilfork, Mankins and Gronk could be a good place to start and if they insist on keeping Amendola do it on their terms. Wont shave a lot when it comes to the cap but it would be a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

TO. wrote: »
    Only way the Pats are going to match Denvers off season splurge is to re-negotiate contracts all over the place. Wilfork, Mankins and Gronk could be a good place to start and if they insist on keeping Amendola do it on their terms. Wont shave a lot when it comes to the cap but it would be a start.

There have been mumblings that they started a couple of day ago with Wilfork. We all seen how Brady voluntarily bent over backwards to help the team with cap space in recent years. So it's only fair that some of the big earners now follow his lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Is there really that much tied up in Hernandezs contract? Absolutely no word about getting that back?

Think the Pats really need to do something though as they are in pretty much exactly the same position as the Broncos (i.e. win now) and simply cant afford to let them get too far ahead.

Surely the Broncos couldn't afford to bring in Ware as well could they?

bruschi wrote: »
    There is no way I'd have been happy for the Pats to agree to the deal Talib has got at the Broncos. There is no way he will last 6 years at that rate, and fair play to him and his agent for getting it. but he is like glass, and its not worth the unknwon factor of if he can last a game or be healthy all year. In the 2 years he has only managed 23 games out of a possible 36. To me, thats not worthy of such a long contract for so much money. If he was to stay at the Pats, I'd have only looked for performance and onfield related bonuses to make the bulk of the contract, but there is no way Talib would have agreed to that. Granted, he is a quality player, but I would far prefer spending that money on a more guaranteed player than Talib.

That pretty much sums up how I feel about the Talib situation also. With his injury history and unreliability for key games, I would have given him no more than 8 million a year for a 4 year contract. But $57 is beyond stupid, Elway must be some Desperate Dan to fork out that kind of money.

• Advertisement

SK1979 wrote: »
    Is there really that much tied up in Hernandezs contract? Absolutely no word about getting that back?

About $7 million dollars. If you trawl back to the thread, you'll find a post I made about all that situation here a few weeks ago. It'll give you an idea of the circumstances that would allow a refund. I haven't slept in nearly 2 days due to work, so I'm a bit brain dead to go through it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

That pretty much sums up how I feel about the Talib situation also.
    Fully agreed. That is enormous money for Talib, great for him.
    I'd have hated to see us pay him that much money, and with a big portion of it guaranteed.
    Broncos really are going for it all this coming season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Talib gone and Edelman likely to walk with no news of signings to fill any gaps...

Not a good start so far...

BizzyC wrote: »
    Talib gone and Edelman likely to walk with no news of signings to fill any gaps...

In Bill we trust right...........

Going to be a long off season and long season if we don't start signing guys that could instantly make us better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

BizzyC wrote: »

Would not be happy to see Edelman go. All the building work him and Brady have done, starting to click and after digging the Offence out of many a hole during last season. Pay the man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Revis is likely to be cut now.

Think we'd be able to land him for the money we would have been willing to spend on Talib?

If true whatever happens we need to find a deal for Revis. Long term big contract with small money for this coming season. we need to fill that gap left by Talib and the fact Revis wants in we have to do it.

Edit: Just reading the smartest option would be to trade for Revis before he hits the FA. If he hits the FA we can't match other team offers money wise. Trade a pick and then re-structure once he is on board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,362 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Well Revis has been officially released.

Be interesting to see how this pans out as we can't go toe to toe with other teams if money becomes the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Bill go get him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

spiralism wrote: »
    Sproles would be a nice toy for Brady but yous have Vereen anyways and had something similar with Woodhead as have been pointed out above.

Really though, do the Pats need another midget catching passes? Runty WR corps and a tiny pass catching RB, i dunno...

Also, i literally cannot believe Talib was let walk to us of all teams.

As much as I rate him, and I do, if he wants top money he isnt going to get it at New England, he doesnt deserve it. Two years in a row he changed the biggest game of the season for us, for the worse. Ye are welcome to him really, cant see how his injury situation is going to get any better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

TO. wrote: »
    Be interesting to see how this pans out as we can't go toe to toe with other teams if money becomes the issue.

But with Revis its all about money, he's going to play for who ever has the biggest cash cow on their farm.

But if he ends up with you guys I think I'll have to stop watching the NFL:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,362 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Revis is a Patriot. 1 year deal 12M.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

i dont fcukin believe it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

:-D that was quick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

WOW!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Langdon Alger

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvPtt6JpokOxsP95_Zn8l3V6iou6-J7t7DiHG7vtdyl82CBYfSxw

congrats between smith and revis pats have won free agency

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Congrats, enjoy winning the AFC this year guys.

spiralism wrote: »
    Congrats, enjoy winning the AFC this year guys.

yes because ye signed nobody your definitely a legit broncos fan who stuck with them through the less succesful times so cudos for that but your negativity is grating sometime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Wow, got to admit it's a shock, a pleasant shock :)
    Talib leaving meant we lost a lot in the secondary, but this is an improvement.
    Not far off the price of franchising Talib.

I just hope that Allen can now be targeted as well. I don't believe that he's going to walk away that easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Just copying this over from the FA thread to see what Patriots fans can offer.
    Great acquisition by the Patriots there. I must confess that I am not particularly a fan of these 1 year deals but I guess it's such a win now league there's no avoiding them. Can you franchise tag a player on a one-year deal?

Edit: How does this money impact the ability to sign others? (thinking of Edelman in particular here)

Wow!!!!:D

71606_TDDance_CarltonDance_YouTube.gif

Tristram wrote: »
    Just copying this over from the FA thread to see what Patriots fans can offer.

I've replied to your query in the FA thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Cheers. Any news on Edelman or insight on how the Revis money effects other signings. I'm not really sure where the Patriots stand money wise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement