Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Tristram wrote: »
    Cheers. Any news on Edelman or insight on how the Revis money effects other signings. I'm not really sure where the Patriots stand money wise.

Nothing yet on Edelman but he is going to be testing the waters of FA.The Pats have discussed an extension with Wilfork and nothing has been agreed yet. To free up more cap space, more extensions talks with the likes of Mankins and possibly Mayo could follow. We cut Sopoaga yesterday which adds $2.5 million to the $15 million in cap space we had. With contract restructures we could add another $5-7 million in extra space. So subtracting the Revis money, there is money there for Edelman but it's hard to know if it will happen. After last year's experience with Welker, they could very well be lining another target to replace Edelman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Revis Island!!!

Just noticed we released TJ Moe, didn't know a lot about him but I think he was the highest paid practice squad guy so it's kind of surprising.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Nothing yet on Edelman but he is going to be testing the waters of FA.The Pats have discussed an extension with Wilfork and nothing has been agreed yet. To free up more cap space, more extensions talks with the likes of Mankins and possibly Mayo could follow. We cut Sopoaga yesterday which adds $2.5 million to the $15 million in cap space we had. With contract restructures we could add another $5-7 million in extra space. So subtracting the Revis money, there is money there for Edelman but it's hard to know if it will happen. After last year's experience with Welker, they could very well be lining another target to replace Edelman.

Mankins or his agent came out a couple of days ago and said he wont be restructuring. and to be honest, considering he held out before, I'm not shocked. I like Mankins as a player, but I feel he is a bit greedy. I suppose hard not to be when you can demand the money, but he isnt like a lot of other players who restructure or do deals with a long term goal for the team as a key priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,917 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Masked Man wrote: »
    Revis Island!!!

Just noticed we released TJ Moe, didn't know a lot about him but I think he was the highest paid practice squad guy so it's kind of surprising.
    Moe was on IR all season, he may not have fully recovered from that yet. He was told by the Patriots that they may be interested again at some stage.

I wasn't near a tv or laptop yesterday evening and to wake up to a headline that Revis Island has relocated to New England was just awesome.

Somebody mentioned Smith, has he signed with the Patriots?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭DBIreland

congrats between smith and revis pats have won free agency

Who is Smith?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I just dont know what to think, on paper it seems a top player has been added to the roster, but from watching Revis last year it just doesnt feel that way to me. I hope this turns out well!

Anyone have the breakdown handy? Whats the bonus split like? Genuinely cannot believe we went and got ourselves a Revis Island. Add more weapons on offence and I will become excited :)

Mankins saying he wont re structure is hardly a surprise given his past, which is a shame given its the only negative I have about him, he doesnt put the organisation ahead of himself, like Brady for example who has been incredible when it comes to setting an example of how to sacrifice for the cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭dh1985

DBIreland wrote: »
    Who is Smith?

Thought this may have been steve smith initially but after checking all I can find is a piece on boston.com on a st louis gaurd called shelley smith that is visiting the patriots thursday. So it may not be the smith some people would be hoping for

No I ment Steve smith is that trade not gone through?

With regards mankins I don't have an issue with his stance, I'd b the same to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭dh1985

With regards mankins I don't have an issue with his stance, I'd b the same to be honest

Not yet. Have seen very little linking the two parties.

Why though? You are still gonna be rich either way, wouldnt you like to give yourself the best shot at glory also? At his stage in career particularly, the legacy would be important for me, the money should already be taken care of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

kryogen wrote: »
    I just dont know what to think, on paper it seems a top player has been added to the roster, but from watching Revis last year it just doesnt feel that way to me. I hope this turns out well!

You're joking right, watched most of the Bucs games last year and Revis was still doing is thing even though he was coming back from a major injury and he was never used in the right way. Im sure the Patriots will have to such problems. Ye are getting one of the best pure cover corners the game has ever seen!

We sure are, when he is on top of his game, which imo he wasnt last year. It can be attributed to the injury, and if so how do we know he will be totally over it and 100%? If he is 90% of the player he was it will be enough for most of the season of course. I just have my reservations.

Still, the look of pure gawk on one of my friends face (Jets fan) when he heard will be worth it either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Screenshot2014-03-13at115517.png

Not bad stats for a down year!!
    Too say i was sick last night would be an understatement

The Joke is on you guys anyway. For two games a year, he won't have anyone to cover! Take that New England! $1.5M down the drain! HAHAHA

--Quietly sobs in the corner--

Didnt realise his stats were still so good, just used my eyes. Be delighted to be wrong on him :) actually, thats not even right, I am not against the deal, I am happy with the signing, very happy, I just have some doubts in my mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

We sure are, when he is on top of his game, which imo he wasnt last year. It can be attributed to the injury, and if so how do we know he will be totally over it and 100%? If he is 90% of the player he was it will be enough for most of the season of course. I just have my reservations.

Still, the look of pure gawk on one of my friends face (Jets fan) when he heard will be worth it either way
    He was played in zone all season. Jesus you sure aren't easy to please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

davyjose wrote: »

Should I be? :)

Should I also not be allowed to express any potential doubts or reservations I have about a Patriots player in a Patriots thread?

Is he the best corner in the league anymore? Not for me, but like I said I am very happy with the signing, it is a great deal considering we can tag him next year if necessary and still keep it economical. I have already said also that even if he is only at 90% that will be enough for most of the season. My doubts stem from the injury really, he wasnt helped by the system last year, he will be used better this year and I hope we see the real Revis again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Brandon browner to visit the pats later today. Should come cheap considering his injury and off field issues. Misses the first 4 games of the season due to a suspension though. But is allowed participate in all off season activities.

Defense is looking really beefed up. We've got a very good DL assuming Kelly and wilfork come back 100%.

A young talented Versatile LB core.

A revamped secondary hopefully Revis can pass on some wisdom to our young CBs.

Looking very good for the draft, an inside pass rusher would be all really need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

it is a great deal considering we can tag him next year if necessary and still keep it economical.

Good luck tagging him next year . One thing Revis enjoys doing is holding out. Don't think Bill would take a hold out very well , would he ?

But for one year at 12 mill it's a steal

I'm gutted he's gone to you guys :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,362 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Should I be? :)

Should I also not be allowed to express any potential doubts or reservations I have about a Patriots player in a Patriots thread?

Is he the best corner in the league anymore? Not for me

PFF still had him rated as the number 1 cornerback in the NFL last season despite playing in zone. Presumably he will be back now playing in his bread and butter man coverage.

Browner would be an interesting signing if it happens. A really big tall defensive back and with Revis shutting down one side of the field it will allow the Pats to have some really nice options in the secondary. Don't think the Pats will mind him missing the first 4 games. They will want him for the second half of the season and playoffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,917 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

After reading a lot about Browner and looking at him I think he could be one hell of a strong safety.

Dennard and Revis at CB, McCourty and Browner in the safety positions with Ryan coming in on sub packages would be a pretty awesome secondary imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

We'd just need to chuck Arrington and we'd be in great shape...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I've read in several places there is nothing in the contract stopping the Pats from tagging Revis next year...so its potentially a two year deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

eagle eye wrote: »
    After reading a lot about Browner and looking at him I think he could be one hell of a strong safety.

Dennard and Revis at CB, McCourty and Browner in the safety positions with Ryan coming in on sub packages would be a pretty awesome secondary imo.

Awesome secondary and the patriots...Been a while since I've thought all those words in the same sentence, feels good! Revis will be a great signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TJ Mackie

BizzyC wrote: »
    We'd just need to chuck Arrington and we'd be in great shape...

Could never understand the hate Arrington gets from Patriots fans, especially since Talib arrived and proved that when Arrington is allowed play the position he plays best - slot corner - he's been excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Excellent in the slot?

I wouldn't agree.
    He's less of a liability in the slot, yes, but I wouldn't say he's good.

This was the PFF take for the Denver game.
    One area to monitor will be the play of the Patriots’ slot cornerback, Kyle Arrington. Arrington started last week, but was replaced by promising rookie Logan Ryan after struggling in coverage. Arrington will be on a short leash again this week against Welker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

CB doesn't seem to be a need anymore so i'm surprised Browner is being brought in. He'd be a steal if we can get him on the cheap, but it looks like he has interest from other teams

For the rest of the Free agency and draft, i think our top needs are still:

TE
    WR
    Interior OL starter
    3rd Pass Rusher
    Safety (Possibly only a backup if they think Harmon is good enough to start)
    Cover LB

WR: I think we should get a veteran WR, we have too many rookie WRs, it'd be nice to have some experience to help bring them along. Whether thats Edelman, Steve Smith or LaFell, i'd be delighted with either of those 3.

TE: I think we can draft, we already have a hopefully healthy Gronk and Hooman...maybe we can sneak Scott Chandler on the cheap but i dont see us spending money here.

OL: Dan Connelly can play both C and G so i think all we need is one or the other of starting caliber...hopefully a getting a deal on Wendell.
    As for tackle hopefully we can resign Svitek on the cheap to backup, Cannon, Solder and Vollmer

3rd Pass Rusher: Depends on if Buchannon can step up but i'm not holding out hope...i presume Bequette doesn't make it through camp this year. There seems to be a lot of availability in FA so maybe we can pick up a decent veteran after the frenzy dies down.

Safety: Don't know what we do here...i would love to draft HaHa Clinton-Dix based off of his name alone, but i doubt he'll be there when we pick.

LB: Collins showed flashes of greatness near the end of last season but have we seen enough to say he's good enough to start? i dont know just yet. I guess that's why the Pats brought in Woodward...a 3rd starting cover LB is a need. Woodward would be great if we could get him

I don't know how much Cap room we have but i'd say there is a couple more moves to be done to the roster in the next couple of days, a restructuring and the release of Adrian Wilson, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

TJ Mackie wrote: »
    Could never understand the hate Arrington gets from Patriots fans, especially since Talib arrived and proved that when Arrington is allowed play the position he plays best - slot corner - he's been excellent.

Arrington is average at best. He is like a hair dryer and blows hot and cold. No matter where we put him he makes too many bad decisions. He will always blow hot and cold in my eyes. Just when he shows a flash of brilliance he fooks it up soon after.

As for Revis fooking good man Billy for getting it done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Just wanted to point out that the Bucs didn't use Revis exclusively in zone coverage. They mixed throughout and he spent time going up against receivers in man.

Also, don't want to be all negative but I hope Browner doesn't sign with the Patriots given the drug test history. That doesn't sit right with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Tristram wrote: »
    Just wanted to point out that the Bucs didn't use Revis exclusively in zone coverage. They mixed throughout and he spent time going up against receivers in man.

Also, don't want to be all negative but I hope Browner doesn't sign with the Patriots given the drug test history. That doesn't sit right with me.

Drug test history? I think it would be naive to believe that a significant percentage of the league are not using some sort of steroid. Browner just got caught is the difference.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement