Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

RichFTW wrote: »
    Drug test history? I think it would be naive to believe that a significant percentage of the league are not using some sort of steroid. Browner just got caught is the difference.

It might be naive, it might not. If a significant percentage of the league are using some sort of steroid and Browner is in the minority getting caught that raises another kind of question. Anyway, I like to think of the Patriots as having higher standards than most, not just in terms of the football they play, and I'll be disappointed if he does sign there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Revis has an option for the 2015 season with the Pats. So its a 1 year deal with an option for a 2 year deal.

Tom Pelissero ✔ @TomPelissero
    Follow

Darrelle Revis' deal with #Patriots includes an option for 2015 at $20M, including a $12 roster bonus.
    Follow

Revis got a $10M signing bonus and has a $1.5M gtd base salary for 2014. Another $500K available in per-game roster bonuses.
    Follow

If #Patriots exercise option before end of 2014 league year, he'd get a $12M roster bonus April 1, 2015 and have a base of $7.5M in '15.
    Follow

That is a club option for 2015 on Revis, per details filed with the NFLPA. Must be exercised by end of '14 league year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Tristram wrote: »
    It might be naive, it might not. If a significant percentage of the league are using some sort of steroid and Browner is in the minority getting caught that raises another kind of question. Anyway, I like to think of the Patriots as having higher standards than most, not just in terms of the football they play, and I'll be disappointed if he does sign there.

Talib served a 4 game suspension before moving to NE. Rodney Harrison served a 4 game suspension at the Patriots, as did Brandon Spikes, Jermaine Cunnigham and Brandon Bolden. As much as the Pats do what they can to be squeaky clean, PEDs seem rampant in the sport, and very casulally brushed over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭CJC86

TO. wrote: »
    Revis has an option for the 2015 season with the Pats. So its a 1 year deal with an option for a 2 year deal.

Nice details there. Since it's technically a 2 year deal, I think that puts his cap number at $6/7M. Smart on his part too, because it stops the Pats hitting him with a franchise tag after one season and getting him on the cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I guess i was wrong on the Pats being able to franchise Revis next year.

The 2nd year option won't happen because if they take up the option Revis will cost $25m against the cap.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/13/revis-gets-12-million-this-year-20-million-or-free-agency-next-year/

But at least depending on how he plays and fits in, we have head start to negotiate a new contract with him

• Advertisement

Hazys wrote: »
    I guess i was wrong on the Pats being able to franchise Revis next year.

The 2nd year option won't happen because if they take up the option Revis will cost $25m against the cap.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/13/revis-gets-12-million-this-year-20-million-or-free-agency-next-year/

But at least depending on how he plays and fits in, we have head start to negotiate a new contract with him

A lot of the talk is that mid way through this season if he is working out they will thrash out a long term deal to spread out that cash. The reason for the 2 year option right now was to make the deal happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blured

A lot of the talk is that mid way through this season if he is working out they will thrash out a long term deal to spread out that cash. The reason for the 2 year option right now was to make the deal happen.

Another reason for the 2 year deal, means that the cap hit this year isnt as bad. Think its 7.5m this year and 5m next year

Blured wrote: »
    Another reason for the 2 year deal, means that the cap hit this year isnt as bad. Think its 7.5m this year and 5m next year

True but if we keep him it will be 25m on our 2015 salary cap. If we release him it will be 5m dead money hitting our cap. Still a great deal for the Pats and I can see us working a new deal for him before next season to make it better for both parties.

Somewhat good news for the Pats...Browns are most likely getting Hawkins...one less competitor for Edelman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

No Big Vin, Where is this coming from??

Apparently he has asked to be released.

Source

Has ruined Revis island day for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Wilfork wants out apparently?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Doesn't really make sense to me. He's 32 and coming back from injury. how much could he get in FA?

Depressing if he does go (so many amazing moments), but hello $8m cap space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Masked Man wrote: »
    Doesn't really make sense to me. He's 32 and coming back from injury. how much could he get in FA?

Depressing if he does go (so many amazing moments), but hello $8m cap space.
    That's kinda my tough process.
    I want Vince back, but his cap hit was/is too much.
    If he's gone, then that's could edge us towards Allen and target another signing at least to replace Vince.

It comes off as a bit childish from Vince? Kinda like i'll break up with them before they break up with me, so it looks like I was the person who ended it.

They asked you to restructure, which by all means is fair. You said 'No', which you are entitled to do. The ball is in the Patriots court right now, either they stick with your salary for the season or they cut you.

Asking them to release you because the asked you to restructure is silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

PFF still had him rated as the number 1 cornerback in the NFL last season despite playing in zone. Presumably he will be back now playing in his bread and butter man coverage.

Browner would be an interesting signing if it happens. A really big tall defensive back and with Revis shutting down one side of the field it will allow the Pats to have some really nice options in the secondary. Don't think the Pats will mind him missing the first 4 games. They will want him for the second half of the season and playoffs.

I would love Browner to be acquired, shouldnt cost that much and is a very good player who can offer the team plenty, him missing the first four games wouldnt bother me at all

Bye Bye Vince. New priority in Draft find a big fat DT and another one in FA. Sad that his 10 year stint has come down to money. Stupid thing is a re-structure still actually favours him. Good luck Vince to you and your family upping sticks after calling NE home. Going to make all those tweets and instagram and FB messages by your wife speaking of loyalty look stupid :D

ahhhh stop the guys been loyal as anyone and one of the best players in the league for years. he want one big pay day before he retires. why do teams demand loyalty from players but not the franchise itself.

as a neutral i can see hes been very very loyal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Will be so sad to see the big man go if it does happen, which looks likely now obviously. Gutted in fact, but i wish him luck and its a shame it seems to come down to money, he would have still done alright with the restructure and not sure he will fare much better in FA with his age and the injury he is coming off.

Still though, if he goes he goes, we move on. I think it would have been the non starter contract that would have wounded him maybe, but anyway it will just speed up the process of bringing in his replacement, he would be 33 this year, who knows how much he has left at this stage

If he goes I would wish him the best, a Pats legend and a real leader both on the field and off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    No Big Vin, Where is this coming from??

Apparently he has asked to be released.

Source

Has ruined Revis island day for everyone.

This has genuinely upset me :(

Deleted my previous post seems jokes go over peoples heads these days in here. I only ever use smiley faces when I am having a laugh also.

I have said it more than enough over the years about his loyalty and his great servant to the pats and fantastic player. I have only I think once bad mouthed a player that left. I would never bad mouthed Vince but it seems sarcasm doesn't work. I still do think for the record I still think its sad it has come down to money though considering the re-structure probably would have benefited him either way. But hey good luck to Vince he will be missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

It comes off as a bit childish from Vince? Kinda like i'll break up with them before they break up with me, so it looks like I was the person who ended it.

They asked you to restructure, which by all means is fair. You said 'No', which you are entitled to do. The ball is in the Patriots court right now, either they stick with your salary for the season or they cut you.

Asking them to release you because the asked you to restructure is silly.

I feel exactly the same as you, I was shocked to hear Vince requested this and it seems a bit odd and out of character. We lost him with the Achilles injury after week 4 of the season and then paid him $6.5 million for the privilege. There was no way the team could afford to pay him +$7 million this year, especially to a 32 year guy of his size returning from an Achilles injury. Several reports state that he wasn't willing to restructure for us and I find that a big surprise and very disappointing, especially coming from him of all people. We needed to create cap space and I would have expected him of all people to understand that.

Personally I am confused, I always loved big Vince because we was the heart beat of our team. I wanted him to play out his career and retire a Patriot. But I am also really angry with him for doing this, it doesn't seem like the actions of the guy I thought he was. So right now, I am pretty píssed with one of my favorite ever Pats players.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Vince only played 3 games and 1 quarter of football for us last year.
    I've been reviewing those games, and he wasn't doing enough to merit his cap hit.
    I would say that the loss of Kelly was a bigger hit for the defense.

Vince will always be a legend here, and chasing the money doesn't really bother me. He'll be in the HOF at Gillette some day.
    I'm just surprised that they think there's that much more money out there for him; coaches/GM's will review how he performed last year, and will take his injury and age into consideration.

Even if he had a very good season, that last year of contact was always likely to be looked at.

I would have liked to have Vince back, will Joe Vellano (who did a good job considering he came in undrafted) getting some further game time, and learning from the big man. We do need to look at making a signing to replace Vince, but with $7.5m saved, that should be possible and save some cash.

Also, shouldn't the Pats look to trade rather than cut? A low draft pick should be possible.

Tommy Kelly just restructured his contract:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4760174/tommy-kelly-restructures-pact

Here's looking at you Vince.

Tommy Kelly just restructured his contract, from $2.5m to $1.8m:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4760174/tommy-kelly-restructures-pact

Here's looking at you Vince.

Fair play to him for doing that. Vince was destined to earn more than 3 times Kelly's salary in 2014 and yet it's Kelly, our relatively new arrival in NE, that takes one for the team by taking a 28% pay cut.

The Talib Vs Revis deals looks even better now from a Pats' perspective:
    @AlbertBreer
    Talib deal also lends context to Pats' deal for Revis. In '14, Talib makes $12M, has $7.9M cap number; Revis makes $12M, has $7M cap number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,917 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think he is being very foolish. He is just coming back from a very serious injury and at his age teams will be reluctant to give him a big contract I think, well certainly not a three year contract with lots of guaranteed money.

It's time to let him go if he is thinking that way. He has been a great servant. We traded Seymour to make sure we could pay him a few years ago, he got well paid but did a great job.

I'm not so sure a big guy like him will ever get back to where he was so I don't mind seeing him go now. I have great memories of watching him play and he'll always be a favourite of mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

There's got to be more to the Wilfork story. It doesn't make any sense.

davyjose wrote: »

I'm trying to think of a scenario that caused this and I don't see how it's anything but Vince acting childish.

Just say the Pats decided to completely low ball Vince, offering him $1m a year and gets offended and says No...well the pats are paying you $11m and are valuing u at $1m, so u are definetly getting cut, so no need to ask to be released.

I see only 2 possible outcomes for Vince after saying no to a restructuring: Vince gets paid $11m with the Pats or he gets cut...so why does he need to ask?

Nobody is going to trade for him at his current salary so that's not an option.

Vince feels he has been underpaid in his career, which is nobody's fault but circumstances (he signed his current contract, nobody forced him too). He's probably pissed an outside like Revis is getting paid more which is ridiculous. He must be seriously deluded at his current market value. I can't see him getting more than a 1 year $4m prove it deal like Raji.

Maybe the Pats are forcing him to accept a trade to the Jets? That would just be cruel, even at $11m a year lol

davyjose wrote: »

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think so. Wilfork has been apparently unwilling to restructure for weeks now. And from a team captain and a guy who should lead by example, that is really bad form. I also thought it was odd the other night when he quickly tweeted praising Talib for following the money. A lot of Pats fans thought Talib quit in the AFC title game when he got a minor knock. And to come out so publicly behind Talib, was just poor taste especially from a team captain.

Brady restructured last year to free up cap space for the team and help them out. So I expected to see no less from the likes of Wilfork a team captain. Tommy Kelly now has basically shamed Wilfork, when he willing restructured his paltry wages in comparison to Wilfork's earnings. And Kelly's only with the team for less than a year.

At 32 years old and the wrong kind of size to be making a 100% comeback from an Achilles tear. You have to wonder what has Wilfork been smoking, for apparently refusing to be flexible for the team. Asking to be released comes across as him trying to play hardball. But it's a game he can only lose and he'll damage his much loved reputation amongst us Pats fans while doing it.

Deleted my previous post seems jokes go over peoples heads these days in here. I only ever use smiley faces when I am having a laugh also.

I have said it more than enough over the years about his loyalty and his great servant to the pats and fantastic player. I have only I think once bad mouthed a player that left. I would never bad mouthed Vince but it seems sarcasm doesn't work. I still do think for the record I still think its sad it has come down to money though considering the re-structure probably would have benefited him either way. But hey good luck to Vince he will be missed.

ya i prob used you as an excuse to rant you dont seem like the type to be saying that seriously to be fair.

at the same time theres a lot of people around that do take that attitude to players the owners seem to have the propaganda machine running strong.

• Advertisement

Fair play to him for doing that. Vince was destined to earn more than 3 times Kelly's salary in 2014 and yet it's Kelly, our relatively new arrival in NE, that takes one for the team by taking a 28% pay cut.

but the teams are not loyal to the players why should the players take one for the team

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement