Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,917 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4760334/scouts-view-brandon-lafell?

We were short of effective red zone targets last season and a guy with LaFells size and ability should certainly add a critical red zone option for Tom.
    I see La Fell as more of a flanker type who can play in the slot, similar in many ways to the role Hernandez played with the Patriots.

He has played on the outside for the Panters though so you'd never know for sure what way he will be used by the Patriots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

eagle eye wrote: »
    I see La Fell as more of a flanker type who can play in the slot, similar in many ways to the role Hernandez played with the Patriots.

He has played on the outside for the Panters though so you'd never know for sure what way he will be used by the Patriots.

Funny you should mentioned Hernandez, because I was thinking earlier about whether they might try LaFell in a similar role on some snaps. But as you said, we'll never know for certain but they'll likely come up with something clever and tailored to his strengths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Did anything come of Britts visit?

Would he not be a decent signing or has he too much baggage? He has the ability surely?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

SK1979 wrote: »

Would he not be a decent signing or has he too much baggage? He has the ability surely?

Havent heard anything

Ability -> Yes
    Dodgy knees -> Yes
    Off field distractions-> better in recent years

He has everything you need to be a top class WR, but he had an awful year just gone and he needs a good QB and a good supporting cast of WRs

edit: I think his biggest issue will be that he'll want to be paid like a 1 WR when he's not, he needs to prove himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

WRs on the roster now:

1. Edelman
    2. Dobson
    3. Amendola
    4. LaFell
    5. Thomkins
    6. Boyce
    7. Harrision

(Slater also but i'm leaving him out)

I think the first 6 should make the roster. So its hard to see where Britt or another veteran could fit in. But its good to have serious competition in camp so maybe if he impresses enough, maybe Boyce or Thomkins gets cut. Boyce would have a slight advantage over Thompkins because he has potential to be a kickoff returner. LaFell could be a casualty if he doesnt learn the system well, no idea on his guaranteed money yet. I don't see Amendola getting cut as they would have done that earlier in the off season before his bonuses got paid out.

• Advertisement

He had some more visits lined up after yesterdays visit to Gillette and I think the Redskins where his next port of call. I can't see him coming to us because he'll go for the money and we'll go for value. But if he did, I reckon it would be a one year go prove it type deal.

He has a lot of baggage and comes across as being pretty selfish and immature, so basically he's the very opposite of The Patriot Way. That said, Bill does like his reclamation projects and Britt would be a perfect project for Bill. Aqib TAlib being his most recent one and a man who can now thank Bill for having a newly bulging wallet.

No harm in getting as many body's into camp and see who'll float to the surface. My biggest concern for Britt though is his brain. I can't find it now, but I read somewhere his Wonderlic score was pretty poor and that mightn't bode well for a guy trying to digest a complex offense.

My biggest concern for Britt though is his brain. I can't find it now, but I read somewhere his Wonderlic score was pretty poor and that mightn't bode well for a guy trying to digest a complex offense.

Just thinking back, I think that poor Wonderlic test score I was talking about there might have been Emmanuel Sanders.

84969_stephen-colbert-celebration-gif.gif

:D Revis has passed his physical, signed his contract and is getting a tour of his new home....

69519_Untitled-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

It's going to be fun watching him against AJ Green, Megatron, Demaryius Thomas and Brandon Marshall this year.

Is there any more talk of mallet being traded to Houston? Seems almost too perfect for all sides for it not to happen? Unless the Texans want to take a qb?

• Advertisement

Is there any more talk of mallet being traded to Houston? Seems almost too perfect for all sides for it not to happen? Unless the Texans want to take a qb?

There is 0 incentive for the Patriots to trade him.

They got him as a 3rd rounder, i presume the minimum they would want is a 3rd for him but no team is going to trade that much for a guy who hasn't started a game in 4 years and has a total of 17 passing yards in the NFL and its not like he's lit up the preseason ever.

If somebody offered a 4th or less, the Pats are not going to accept. They would have no viable backup that knows the system as well as Mallett. Brady will be 37 starting this season, the older he gets the more vulnerable he gets.

The trade would be crazy for anybody involved.

Mallett will probably be a career backup i reckon.

Hazys wrote: »
    There is 0 incentive for the Patriots to trade him.

They got him as a 3rd rounder, i presume the minimum they would want is a 3rd for him but no team is going to trade that much for a guy who hasn't started a game in 4 years and has a total of 17 passing yards in the NFL and its not like he's lit up the preseason ever.

If somebody offered a 4th or less, the Pats are not going to accept. They would have no viable backup that knows the system as well as Mallett. Brady will be 37 starting this season, the older he gets the more vulnerable he gets.

The trade would be crazy for anybody involved.

Mallett will probably be a career backup i reckon.

I read an article (pretty sure it was NFL.com) where they seemed to think that 1). Mallet is better than any of the qbs in this class and 2). That the Texans would be giving us their second round pick for him.

Sounds a bit far fetched though doesn't it? Would you trade him for a second round pick?

I read an article (pretty sure it was NFL.com) where they seemed to think that 1). Mallet is better than any of the qbs in this class and 2). That the Texans would be giving us their second round pick for him.

Sounds a bit far fetched though doesn't it? Would you trade him for a second round pick?

Seems like absolute BS to me.

Their 2nd round pick is the 33th pick of the draft, effectively a first.

Why trade for Mallett when you'll have to renegotiate his contract as its his final year when you can get a rookie on a cheap 4 year deal.

I agree with Hazys, if Brady goes down, Mallet knows the system real well and he would do a sound job. I reckon O'Brien and the Texans are probably more likely to go after Hoyer if anything. Long term, I think we getting close to the point where Brady's successor will have to be chosen. If not this year, then certainly next year I think. Now perhaps Bill thinks Mallet is the man and is confident he will step up when his times comes. But will Mallett be happy to become a starter at 29 and sit around until then?

But if Mallet is not the future, then the only QB developmental prospect in the draft that might interest Bill, is AJ McCarron. He comes from his good friend Nick Sabans stable and Bill likes ties like that. McCarron is even on the record as saying he'd love to go to the Patriots, sit behind Brady and learn from the best ever. The problem is, he'll be gone when our draft turn comes. I have no idea what next years draft class might be like QB wise and maybe those close to the college game might have an idea if they are better option potentially in the pipeline.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Kenny Britt.. has just said he's "Blessed" .. perhaps he's signed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Watched the recap of the saints game this season on nfl network, all the micd up and different camera points... class!

Kenny Britt.. has just said he's "Blessed" .. perhaps he's signed?

Saw that comment and I have found nothing concrete since. He visited yesterday but apparently he was still around today. The Redskins and Rams were his next visits scheduled. The comment could mean anything, it could even be a negotiating ploy to squeeze other suitors. But from a rebuilding and redeeming yourself point of view. Coming to the Pats and learning the gospel according to Bill would be the wisest move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Anyone any thoughts on Blount?

I like him, and would like to see him re-signed. He'd be cheap, and he gives us that goal line, power option.

He doesn't seem to be attracting any interest from other teams, have we even offered him a deal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I like Blount but I can see him leaving this off season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

kryogen wrote: »
    I like Blount but I can see him leaving this off season

I think like Edelman you guys don't want to overpay so let him find his value on the open market and then see if you can work out a deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

I thought he was a real power house last season, and to think back to key times, without him we certainly would not have made it as far as we did.

I would be in favour of keeping him on a short deal but definitely trying to hold on to him for next season.

Near the tail end of the season with Gronk, Dobson, KT and Boyce injured the only pass option was Edelman. Amendola was a non-factor because he had some bad drops, a few route mix ups and it seemed obvious Brady just had no trust in him. And that's when Blount became invaluable for us when he stepped up. I'd love to keep him but only at a fair price. I also have a feeling the interest might not be as great as he thinks, which can only be a good thing for us.

Looking at the LB situation, after losing Spikes and Fletcher we're getting a bit short in that department and they will need to address it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

As a starting 3, Mayo, Hightower and Collins is pretty decent, assuming Collins produces next year like he showed at the end of last, and the unit stays healthy....

We can build some depth in the draft, but I wouldn't mind seeing a value punt made on a player like Dan Connor like we've done with other players with an injury history.

I wouldn't be worried about Collins producing, once he found his NFL feet, he was excellent in the latter part of the season. I expect him to have a big year for us in 2014.

Just looking at the details of the LaFell signing and it'a an even better piece of business than I thought. Initial reports said it was an $11.8 milllion 3 year deal, but here are the actually details I came across from ESPN.......

Term: 3 years
    Signing bonus: $3 million
    Total value: $9 million

Base: $800,000
    Roster bonus: $200,000 (12,500 per game on the 46-man roster)
    Cap: $2 million

Base: $1.8 million
    Roster bonus: $400,000 (25,000 per game on the 46-man roster)
    Cap: $3.2 million

Base: $2.4 million
    Roster bonus: $400,000 (25,000 per game on the 46-man roster)
    Cap: $3.8 million

To put that value in context, the Broncos signed Sanders to a 3 year $15 million dollar deal. LaFell was more productive than Sanders despite playing in a run happy offense and he saved us $6 million dollars. A nice piece of work by Caserio and the front office team.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blured

To put that value in context, the Broncos signed Sanders to a 3 year $15 million dollar deal. LaFell was more productive than Sanders despite playing in a run happy offense and he saved us $6 million dollars. A nice piece of work by Caserio and the front office team.

Not sure you can say LaFell was more productive. Less catches, less yards, less TDs, lower catch percentage and more drops

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2013/

I think its a good deal for the Pats, but in my opinion Sanders is a much superior player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

We were never going to sign Sanders the cost was too high not matter how we swing it. I wouldn't even bother comparing the La Fell deal to Sanders either as too different players and the difference in talent is also evident. I do think La Fell will do well for us though I like his physicality.

Blount will most likely be back. The RB market is loaded right now and Backs not really getting big money. They really are a dime a dozen right now. We will probably get him back on a decent deal.

The Mallet trade in my eyes could still happen. It makes sense to get something for him given he has 1 year left on his contract. He wont sign a new contract if Brady is still healthy. Might as well make something on him.

I also think we will convince Vince to stick around. The fact he was away and we haven't heard anything since would suggest negotiations are on going. If they weren't he would have visited other teams which hasn't as yet or have had any plans to. I can see us reaching a deal with him.

Blured wrote: »
    Not sure you can say LaFell was more productive. Less catches, less yards, less TDs, lower catch percentage and more drops

LaFell was less productive? You're pretty much wrong on all those claims. First of all, did you not notice how I did not mention a specific year in my last post? Well that's because I was talking about both their careers. Generally I try to avoid making claims around here that I can't back up. So lets compare their NFL careers thus far...

6mGEif.jpg

67fkSx.jpg

LaFell has....
    More career Yards
    More career TD's,
    Superior Yards per catch.
    Superior Yards per game.
    Less Fumbles.
    More career 1st Down receptions.
    More career TD's over + 20Yards.
    More career TD's over + 40Yards.

The net result = LaFell has had a more productive career and all that despite playing for a run happy offense. LaFell was scheduled to visit the Broncos after us but thankfully that was nipped in the bud. Sanders was on our radar last year, but that boat sailed and he wasn't invited for a visit this year.

Edelman's deal is 4 years not 3.

"The deal has a base value of $17 million and includes $8 million in bonuses and guarantees ($6 million guaranteed for skill) and $2 million in incentives, a source confirmed to ESPN.com."

Averages out at $4.75m a year, which is probably not a realistic number as the contract is probably back loaded.

It does seem a little steep but i'm glad to have our most reliable WR and a stud on special teams back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Hazys wrote: »
    Edelman's deal is 4 years not 3.

"The deal has a base value of $17 million and includes $8 million in bonuses and guarantees ($6 million guaranteed for skill) and $2 million in incentives, a source confirmed to ESPN.com."

Averages out at $4.75m a year, which is probably not a realistic number as the contract is probably back loaded.

It does seem a little steep but i'm glad to have our most reliable WR and a stud on special teams back.

Apparently it makes him the 35th highest average wage WR in the league. Good for him, he certainly earned a pay day from last season!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement