Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,904 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I thanked that post but some of you guys are going way overboard imo.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

eagle eye wrote: »

Forgive him Dear Lord Tom, for he knows not what he posts.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

I thought this was pretty cool.

418624_10151086827257372_400760981_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

eagle eye wrote: »
    I agree. It tends to take some of the recognition off the fact he plays for probably the best Head Coach of all time, and one of the best run franchises in all of Sports, by one of the best owners.

Take nothing away from the guy, he's a QB genius, but all the "God" talk makes it seem like he's doing it all himself. Now, Peyton on the other hand... (joke, joke!) ;)

bruschi wrote: »
    cant beat a good training bust up to keep the intensity up!

its one of those things though that can be reported either way. Good intenst high pressured training, or trouble at camp and players not getting on and fighting. I'd go with option A here tho!

No harm. American Football is unique in that you have a natural rivalry within a team. The D want to out-do the Offense and vice Versa. No harm at all. Look at the Cromartie BS in New-York's B team.

• Advertisement

davyjose wrote: »
    I agree. It tends to take some of the recognition off the fact he plays for probably the best Head Coach of all time...

Ah come on, it was Brady's birthday yesterday not Belichick's. And who doubts Belichick's coaching greatness here? Christ, you would think it was safe to have a bit of craic in the Pats thread, without someone overanalysing a simple happy birthday post.
    and one of the best run franchises in all of Sports, by one of the best owners.

I would even say the best Franchise and it is the three pronged approach that makes it so. Most Pats fans know at this stage, that it is the three cogs of the Holy Trinity of Brady – Belichick – Kraft. This has made the Patriots the most copied franchise in the salary cap era. The disaster of the initial Parcells – Kraft relationship was a true blessing. Because it taught Bob a lot of lessons in how to run the franchise and he set the Pats on the road to becoming the ideal standard.

but all the "God" talk makes it seem like he's doing it all himself.

Then that's an obvious misinterpretation on the use of the term on your part. Because who said he is doing it himself?

But with all he has achieved in the game and all he has won. He stays back last after training and can be seen running sprint routes with a stop watch in his hand. He leads from the front, he leads by example, no standard ever exceeds his and he is always his own worst critic. You never have to look too far, Wes had this to say about Brady yesterday..
    “He’s his biggest critic. As much as Coach even stays on him and everything else, he’s his own worst enemy sometimes when it comes to that. It’s great to see. He cares, and he wants to be great, and he is great. That’s probably why.”
    “Brady, who celebrates his 35th birthday today, continues to seek and tweak. He continues to go out and gather any piece of information that may help him be a better quarterback and stay ahead of the curve.

Back in March this year, he visited the Rod Dedeaux Research Institute at USC and worked with Tom House.
    There’s not much we’ve done with Tom. But it’s that 1-2 percent that he’s looking to get better with that makes him special.”

Still trying to tweak and improve his throwing mechanics. Yet most observers find his throwing mechanics to be flawless, but not Brady of course.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?&articleid=1061150699&format=&page=1&listingType=pats#articleFull

His quest for perfection is as strong now than it was when he was 25. So perhaps many do see this continuing drive toward perfection, as almost god like in nature and who can blame them really.

Ah come on, it was Brady's birthday yesterday not Belichick's. And who doubts Belichick's coaching greatness here? Christ, you would think it was safe to have a bit of craic in the Pats thread, without someone overanalysing a simple happy birthday post.

I would even say the best Franchise and it is the three pronged approach that makes it so. Most Pats fans know at this stage, that it is the three cogs of the Holy Trinity of Brady – Belichick – Kraft. This has made the Patriots the most copied franchise in the salary cap era. The disaster of the initial Parcells – Kraft relationship was a true blessing. Because it taught Bob a lot of lessons in how to run the franchise and he set the Pats on the road to becoming the ideal standard.

Then that's an obvious misinterpretation on the use of the term on your part. Because who said he is doing it himself?

But with all he has achieved in the game and all he has won. He stays back last after training and can be seen running sprint routes with a stop watch in his hand. He leads from the front, he leads by example, no standard ever exceeds his and he is always his own worst critic. You never have to look too far, Wes had this to say about Brady yesterday..

Back in March this year, he visited the Rod Dedeaux Research Institute at USC and worked with Tom House.

Still trying to tweak and improve his throwing mechanics. Yet most observers find his throwing mechanics to be flawless, but not Brady of course.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?&articleid=1061150699&format=&page=1&listingType=pats#articleFull

His quest for perfection is as strong now than it was when he was 25. So perhaps many do see this continuing drive toward perfection, as almost god like in nature and who can blame them really.

Fair enough 'twas his birthday and I do get the adoration. I'm a broken-hearted Colts fan ;)

I've said before that Brady's (along with most other great's -- I don't mean very good's I mean the absolute .001%) are always striving to better themselves even if that seems ridiculous to the rest of us.

I will poke and jibe at Brady now and again -- especially when he loses, that's mainly because I am so damn aware of how good he is, and so jealous of it. And trust me, ten years from now I'll be the first to tell everyone about the Brady era.

Ehh.... the best run franchise in ALL of sports have got to be the Yankees. In football it's the Pats, but the Yankees have pretty much taken over half the planet. And keep winning. how many people walking around with NY hats have even seen 5 minutes of baseball? But Pats are up there.

Edit: P.S. I hate multiquoting. So I don't. Lol.

Ehh.... the best run franchise in ALL of sports have got to be the Yankees. In football it's the Pats, but the Yankees have pretty much taken over half the planet.

The Yankees always had it though, going back as far as Babe Ruth, through to the Joe DiMaggio era and onward. The Yankees always had that base, they were always in the mix and they always had the first team status in New York. I don't think they had anything like the obstacles to overcome in their path like the Pats did.

But for decades the Patriots were often viewed as a joke of a franchise. At times some teams showed great potential, but usually they ended up as a hard luck story. Known to some as the 'Nomads', because they had no real home ground until Schaefer Stadium opened in 1971. They were the poor relation to the success of Red Soxs and Celts in Boston.

So putting the Pats and the Yankees alongside each other, I'd still give it to the Patriots because of their total transformation in the last 18 years. But particularly the last 13 years. they have reached a point now were the Kraft and Belichick approach to franchise and team management, has even been studied in Harvard Business School.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

I guess it will be easier to judge after Kraft and Belichick are gone.

Tristram wrote: »
    I guess it will be easier to judge after Kraft and Belichick are gone.

Exactly Corvis, and I mean no disrespect, but we'll talk in a hundred years. I think, and I may be wrong but there is no single decade that the Yankees have not won a championship in. If I'm wrong, it's maybe 1 decade, but no other. I'm insanely impressed by what Kraft and BB are doing, but the Yankees have done it for over a century.

*Lack of salary cap is a factor, but still, the Red Sox, The Chicago Cubs etc are Richer than the Pats - Cubs haven't won in a hundred years; Sox went 80 or 90 years. In NFL terms, the Pats (followed by Green Bay) are seriously out alone, right now. But in all of sports, the Yankees are a phenomenon all of their own. A miracle.

In other words, doing it for decades upon decades doesn't make it less impressive. It makes it insanely more impressive. Like saying 50 years from now "Ah well, the Pats always had BB and Brady."

• Advertisement

In other words, doing it for decades upon decades doesn't make it less impressive. It makes it insanely more impressive. Like saying 50 years from now "Ah well, the Pats always had BB and Brady."

That is true, but what is most impressive about the transformation the Patriots have made. From a joke of a franchise, through some dark days in the Eighties to where we are now. Nobody would have believed it was possible. I'm not taking anything away from the Yankees, but I do think New York was just kinda sitting there, ripe for the plucking when they came along. In business terms, the market was already waiting for them so to speak. Yes they have delivered, but firm foundations are a big help.

Gob forbid what happens if the Kraft family relinquished control of the Patriots. But the difference is, unlike the O'Sullivan's family reign, they would be leaving behind a strong, successful winning franchise that is now deeply rooted in Foxborough. Johnathan Kraft is the heir apparent however and thankfully he's a devoted Patriot so there'll be no change for a long time yet.

As a fan of Man United (Yes, I know, a pansy sport) they are the world's biggest sports franchise, claiming a a global fan base of 650 million. Top of the Forbes list and valued at $3.3 billion on the New York exchange prior to listing. Like the Yankees, they are just a dominant machine in their sporting field. Still though, I put the Pats ahead them for their pure transformation. Going from a joke of a franchise, to the most loved franchise and even the equally most hated because of their success.

No team has done that, not United, not the Yankees. The Patriots now have a template in place that will stand the test of time. Providing no one in-future fúcks with it. Saying we will talk in a hundred years is irrelevant to me, because I'm talking about the dramatic transformation, about the rags to riches story, going from loser to winner. At the end of the day I'm not saying I'm right or wrong, it's a personal yardstick I use. Christ Jesus I'm exhausted, how did I go from birthday wishes to writing this. Next year someone else can wish Tom a happy birthday in thread. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Sure don't we all get carried away and go a little overboard at times.

I see Robert Kraft is being the perfect gent as usual...
    The first owner to call Jimmy Haslam regarding his purchase of the Browns is a man who has made the Super Bowl a second home for his franchise since 2002.

New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft not only offered congratulations but tendered a tantalizing invitation: Come learn the business of the NFL from us.

Haslam is headed to suburban Boston next week to meet with Kraft, whose team has won three Super Bowls and played in two others. The truck-stop magnate didn't think twice about whether to accept.

"I'd be crazy not to," Haslam said. "He said, 'I want you to come up here, and I'll show you everything.' I'd have to be the dumbest guy ever not to take him up on that."

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/08/jimmy_haslam_eager_to_learn_nf.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

Ehh.... the best run franchise in ALL of sports have got to be the Yankees. In football it's the Pats, but the Yankees have pretty much taken over half the planet. And keep winning. how many people walking around with NY hats have even seen 5 minutes of baseball? But Pats are up there.

There's a big difference between 'best run' and 'most successful'.
    The Yankees have been incredibly successful and becuase of this and their location they have made billions of dollars from it, and they use this money to outspend their opponents and continue their success.
    No way they are better run tha the Pats. They're not even close to the best run franchise in baseball, that would be the Rays who compete with the Yankees and have beaten them a few time in the last few years on a fifth of the payroll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I don't think you can say the Yankees are definitively not the best run team in pro sports. There's really not much more success you can ask for. I think it's suffice to say they are in this elite category of teams that is them, the Pittsburgh Steelers, Manchester United and the Patriots. I think the Steelers are run every bit as well as the Patriots are, they are a model of consistent excellence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

Seriously who gives a fook about baseball or any other team or sport. Pats thread this is. Last couple of days has seen this thread go mad with useless information and randomness.

I see Robert Gallery has retired, getting knocked on his ass a few time by the D-line in training probably speeded up his decision. Tony Fiamettta has been placed on the Exempt/Left Squad list. Fiammetta had been missing from the last three practice sessions, so I've no idea what's going on there.

Other roster changes include the signing of veteran DB Derrick Martin and veteran FB Kareem Huggins. Martin spent last season with the Giants and played against us in the SB. He played a total of 14 games for them last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Robert Gallery retired, only 32

I remember him being a hot FA last year, going to the Seawhawks, cut, now retired

How quickly can a career end

Gallery would have been cut anyway I'd say, was reportedly very unimpressive in training camp.

I laughed and had some hope when we signed him but I did have that gut feeling he wouldn't get through camp.

• Advertisement

Saw this pic earlier and it made me chuckle

sad-keanu-brady.jpg

CoachTO wrote: »
    Saw this pic earlier and it made me chuckle

sad-keanu-brady.jpg

down_with_this_sort_of_thing.jpg

Tony Fiamettta has been placed on the Exempt/Left Squad list. Fiammetta had been missing from the last three practice sessions, so I've no idea what's going on there.

Disappointed to hear that - I know we don't feature full backs a whole lot but I was hopeful he would be of some use to us and be a nice security blanket for Ridley and Vereen as he was for Murray in Dallas last year.

The reason for this is (apparently) a family issue that he left the team for. Hope it's nothing too serious.

The reason for this is (apparently) a family issue that he left the team for. Hope it's nothing too serious.

Nice one, I had no idea what the reason was. But as you already said, hopefully it's not too serious alright.

I think the defence will be seriously improved on last year. Yes it couldn't get any worse and we made some excellent draft picks. But that as we know guarantees nothing, importantly though, they are beginning to look like they might be able to deliver. Hightower, Jones and Wilson have had the most reps of any defensive player so far. Just thought I'd share some feedback on the defensive side of camp after week 2. Some positive patterns are emerging on defense.

Hightower and Jones have been impressive with the front 7, packing in the reps with senior members of the D-line and they look like they belong. At this stage they look like starters.

On Thursday, Belichick singled out Tavon Wilson for a special mention and some high praise. He had a quiet, steady start to camp, but now can be regularly seen breaking up plays and disrupting the receivers. Another player with a high football IQ, if he was giving a starting role I don't think it would phase him

Jake Bequette has been very solid throughout so far and similar to Hightower, the Pats seem to be prepping him for multiple roles.

Rookie free agent defensive end Justin Francis has been looking good and continues to make one or two nice plays every session he's been out on the field.

Steve Gregory seems to be forming a good chemistry with Chung and has been seen calling out plays and organising the secondary. Which is pretty impressive by anyone's standard. So if he's calling plays, he should ease into a starting role at this stage.

Dennard was going along nicely until he did his hamstring. Last time I checked he's still out with it.

Nate Ebner practiced for the first time on Friday after coming back from injury. He is behind in overall practice terms, but he was always earmarked to start his Pats career on special teams and I think he'll make it.

All this defensive competition from the young guns can only make the established players step up. The Offensive line is still worrying me though at this stage. I suppose we won't know until we start getting a look at them in the preseason games. But I'm still not fully convinced that Brady has the cover he needs in place right now. If so, we might see more of the running game coming into play more than we think.

The Pats released Kareem Huggins this morning, just a day after signing him. His signed yesterday at 5:49 p.m., and the announcement of his release came at 12:20 p.m. today. He was officially a Patriot for just 18 hours and 31 minutes. This has got to be a franchise record.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The Pats released Kareem Huggins this morning, just a day after signing him. His signed yesterday at 5:49 p.m., and the announcement of his release came at 12:20 p.m. today. He was officially a Patriot for just 18 hours and 31 minutes. This has got to be a franchise record.:D

What was the point of signing him for that length of time? :confused:

Paully D wrote: »
    What was the point of signing him for that length of time? :confused:
    Players find themselves surplus to requirements all the time. Patriots don't beat around the bush with it though and never have. Some suggestions seem to be that he was examined by doctors and his injury that has kept him out long term in the past was still an issue.

I'm sure somewhere, deep down, beneath the surface at some level, Belichick did this to fúck with the media :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

Bill Belichick kisses TE Aaron Hernandez's elbow after Hernandez appeared to injure it during a passing drill at the Patriots' training camp. It was the one time I saw Belichick smile during the entire practice, and Hernandez laughed after he realized what Belichick was doing.

grant_h_hernandez_cr_640.jpg&w=640&h=360

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement