Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Good article on Easley here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Well if it weren't for the injuries, Easley would have been a top 10 pick, even top 5, and word is that the Seahawks were planning on taking him at 32. We obviously were comfortable with his recovery, and he's obviously the guy we wanted or we would have traded down. And there was talk all week about how he was creeping into the end of the 1st, so that was obviously true.

People are comparing him to Dowling, which is ridiculous because discounting injuries, Dowling was never as elite a talent as Easley. I think people need to go and watch Easley play before judging the post - this isn't just a boom or bust pick, it's a potential franchise talent or bust pick and Bill and co obviously think it's worth the risk. I'm thrilled with the pick as Easley was one of my favourite prospects and I certainly think he's worth the risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

He's got talent, but 2 acl reconstructions in 3 years....

I'd agree he's worth some risk, but I don't think a 1st round pick is the right place to take that risk, especially for a team where injuries cause us a lot of issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Every source speaks of Easly's talent and ability and I don't think anyone doubts that. The fact that we picked him with 6 minutes left on the clock, which is not how we normally operate, indicates they were pretty hot for the guy. I heard about the Seahawks interest, but on draft day all sorts of rumours, feints and psychological warfare takes place so you have to question such reports.

But as someone that works in the business, his ACL injuries seriously concern me. One ACL would put a serious red flag over any player for me. And if I was asked to give a medical judgement. I ideally would be looking for 2 full solid seasons (or 18 months), where a player has returned from rehab and been restored to 100% playing ability.

But when I see Easly's history of two ACL injuries? My red flag bursts into flames. It demonstrates to me an obvious susceptibility to these injuries and that is the most important thing to assess for me, when considering drafting him. Not his ability, but his susceptibility to similar injuries. And for that reason and with that uncertainty, I could not justify making a 1st round pick on a guy with these health concerns.

I wanted us to address the DL as a priority and in typical Patriots fashion, we go and draft a guy with serious questions marks over his health and durability. Was having a gimped defense in 2013 not enough, without going and drafting a guy with a double ACL history? They better go now and weld two knee braces onto Easly's knees. And if I see him anywhere near a field without braces, I'll swim to Boston and and personally strangle our team doctor, Dr. Matt Provencher.

Lets not forget that this is Provencher's first draft though. I don't know how much of a role Gill had in evaluating prospects' injury history before, but he's gone now so we shouldn't hold Dowling, Tate etc. against the new guy. I'm sure we did thorough examinations of Easley, and word was that he was at 90% so he has another 3 months to rehab also.

Besides, we have a pretty good record when Bill decides to draft a defensive linemen in the first round. Easley joins Big Vince, Chandler Jones, Richard Seymour and Ty Warren in that club :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

True, "in Bill we trust"....

Still, injuries are becoming too big of a problem for us.

Lets not forget that this is Provencher's first draft though. I don't know how much of a role Gill had in evaluating prospects' injury history before, but he's gone now so we shouldn't hold Dowling, Tate etc. against the new guy. I'm sure we did thorough examinations of Easley, and word was that he was at 90% so he has another 3 months to rehab also.

Besides, we have a pretty good record when Bill decides to draft a defensive linemen in the first round. Easley joins Big Vince, Chandler Jones, Richard Seymour and Ty Warren in that club :)

I'm only focusing only the Easly move and I just can't overlook his two ACL's. The very least I would expect is him to come to us at 100%. The fact that he's not even there, only compounds the risk. I know I said I would like 2 seasons (or 18 months) playing time under his belt to assess him. Now I could reduce that to one season, but only if a guy had a serious beast mode season coming back from an ACL rehab. But with Easly, he doesn't even have that to go on. Now the lad might never injure himself again on a football field, but since that's only conjecture. The only solid evidence we have to look at is his injury history and it really worries me.

I will add one thing though and that is the nature of his two ACL injuries. I haven't see how they happened and how they happened is important. If they were for example - him taking a helmet hit to a knee. Then I would be less concerned because such an injury is outside the control of the injured player. But if the injury was purely bio-mechanical and related to his own playing style and technique.Then that is a greater worry because it shows a potential susceptibility to these injuries.

True, I know it's a risk, but I'd be very interested to see who we get over the next 2 days now.

There's loads of talent left in areas we could go with. There was a big run on defensive backs, and thankfully we're okay in that that regard. I'm giddy about the offensive line talent still left on the board, and the defensive line. I wouldn't be surprised if we double dip on the D-line actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,372 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

BizzyC wrote: »
    That was a poor pick imo.
    Typical BB going against the grain, but problem here is that no one else wanted the guy

Apparently the Seahawks were going to take him just a few picks later. That was the word going around the media guys on twitter afterwards.

The talent really isn't in doubt with Easley. Just the two ACL injuries. Only for his 2nd one last September he would probably have been a top 10 pick last night.

Not sure will he be a big contributor this coming season but by 2015 he should be. On the bright side for the Pats is that he looked just as good as ever after his first ACL. Hopefully he will be after his 2nd.

True, I know it's a risk, but I'd be very interested to see who we get over the next 2 days now.

There's loads of talent left in areas we could go with. There was a big run on defensive backs, and thankfully we're okay in that that regard. I'm giddy about the offensive line talent still left on the board, and the defensive line. I wouldn't be surprised if we double dip on the D-line actually.

There's no doubt about the riskiness of the Easly move, but if it works out and he stays healthy, then it will be a very high reward for us. I think you're right that we'll double dip on the D-line. I was hoping to see us pick up a DE and an interior lineman and hopefully now we might.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I understand why they drafted him but the injuries are very very scary, not one ACL but two!! Hence the Dowling reference, another player who was consider a top 15 pick based purely on talent but never saw enough of the field in the NFL to develop into the player he had to potential to be. Gronk another person taken in the late 1st/early 2nd who when healthy is a beast but the jury is still out on his career as a whole although i do feel they 100% pick Gronk again even with the hindsight.

The reason why they drafted him is its rare to have a pass rushing DT (rare as most DTs are 300lbs+) and we play the game more and more in the nickel.

I think its a move directly influenced by the Superbowl. The Seahawks have great interior pass and one of the main reasons they stopped Manning. Manning hadn't seen a pass rush like that all season and it absolutely rattled him (not to mention a great secondary too throw against with that pressure in your face).

We played something like 60% of our defensive snaps in the nickel last year so he'll get a lot of playing time.

High risk/high reward...fingers crossed for the latter.

Pro Football Talk seem to be backing up that the Seahawks wanted Easley badly.
    Seahawks bailed out after missing on Dominique Easley

While there was a pool of quarterbacks that many thought would lead to a rush of moves late in the first round, only the Seahawks bailed out to someone could take one.

And that move was apparently triggered as much by the Seahawks missing the target of their preference as much as the Vikings wanting Teddy Bridgewater.

Via the SeattlePI.com, the Seahawks were visibly deflated when the Patriots took Florida defensive tackle Dominique Easley 29th overall.

If well, Easley would be exactly the kind of inside rusher the Seahawks covet. But the Patriots did too, which left them willing to move out of the first round altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Pats only had 2 picks in the first 3 rounds but have 3 picks in the 4th today. Hopefully might come away with a hidden gem.

Pats only had 2 picks in the first 3 rounds but have 3 picks in the 4th today. Hopefully might come away with a hidden gem.

We have no fifth round picks today unless some trading takes place. But as of now, all our remaining picks are as follows....

Round 4, Pick 105

Round 4, Pick 130 (From the Jags)

Round 4, Pick 140 (Compensatory selection, can't be traded)

Round 6, Pick 179 (From the Jags)

Round 6, Pick 198 (via Philadelphia)

Round 6, Pick 206

Round 7, Pick 244

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

BIG fan of that James White pick. At a wedding today havent got a chance to digest the rest.

TO. wrote: »
    BIG fan of that James White pick. At a wedding today havent got a chance to digest the rest.

I didn't know much about him so was surprised. Just read that he has only fumbled twice in 700+ carries, so Ridley might start sweating. No idea what he's like as a pass catching option outta the backfield. Enjoy your wedding.

Texans have picked their QB, so unlikely that a Mallett trade will probably happen now. And if that happens, Mallett will probably stay until he becomes a FA next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,917 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Love both picks today, happy with all the picks besides the first one and thats because of injury concerns.

White is a really good runner but also an excellent catcher. He is likely to be used initially as a third down back but if he is as good as I think he is then you'll see him get a lot more carries as time goes by.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Love both picks today, happy with all the picks besides the first one and thats because of injury concerns.

White is a really good runner but also an excellent catcher. He is likely to be used initially as a third down back but if he is as good as I think he is then you'll see him get a lot more carries as time goes by.

Wasn't too sure about White initially but I'm now liking the move. Good to hear you like his catching ability because I didn't know much about it. All the sources are pretty much saying he has fantastic ball security, which makes a change and will be great to have.

I'm also really like the Cameron Fleming move. He is rated really highly by the Stanford Coaches, versatile, quick, explosive and very intelligent. Basically perfect for the Pats O line. Just found out the guy majored in Astronautics in college, which says it all really.

• Advertisement

Just reading some scouting reports about Halapio and they are saying he played most of last season through the pain of an 80% tear of his pectoral muscle. I like tough guys who can play through the pain and it will be interesting to see how this guy works out.

Only downside is we don't do well with Gators.

Zach Moore could be anything coming from a small school but this is a piece about how he ended up where he did.

Zach Moore will fulfill a dream this weekend. He also might get drafted.
    Moore, who once battled academic problems, will graduate Friday night from Concordia-St. Paul with a degree in criminal justice.
    "I'm pretty excited about graduating," he said. "It's been a long five years. I finally get to get my degree. It's a great experience."
    As for the other part, the defensive end could become the first player from his school taken in the NFL draft. It it happens, it likely would be during Saturday's final day of selections.
    Moore knows it's possible he might not hear his name called, but he still has been assured from NFL general managers he would be a "high-profile free agent." As he prepares to graduate, he's thinking back to when he showed up from his native Chicago to enroll at Division II Concordia after having not been academically eligible for Division I.
    "I came here to college undisciplined, immature, went through a lot of adversity and saw the silver lining in my dark cloud," said Moore, who was academically ineligible to play in 2011 before finishing his college career with two Division II All-America seasons. "The light bulb clicked in my head.
    "So I told myself I can't really afford to blow a free education and be separated from the sport that I love. So here I am, two or three years later, and I'll be graduating and hopefully be drafted."
    As for what happens this weekend, 1,200 miles away in New York, Moore said some general managers have speculated he will be taken between the fourth and seventh rounds.
    "It's a pretty exciting week," he said. "It would mean a lot to be the first player drafted from my school. It would definitely be history in the books."
    Moore said he took visits to 10 teams, and was willing to name Arizona, Oakland and San Diego. He said he had private workouts in the Twin Cities with Atlanta, Carolina, Miami and New England.
    Moore will have seven family members in for Friday's graduation. They all will stick around to watch on television what happens when the draft's late rounds are televised on Saturday.
    http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_25715343/zach-moore-nfl-dream-still-alive-concordia-st

Jemea Thomas is only 5'9" tall and for that reason was always going to be a late round pick. He has been a very good gunner on STs for Georgia Tech and has played at slot corner and safety. So its that versatility thing that the pretty obvious reason for him being selected. We all know BB likes his versatile players and who knows, he could turn out a good one. A nice gamble late in the draft imo.

I was hoping for a big, hard hitting SS enforcer type before the draft and this wee guy doen't tick the box for me. Still, if it means we can ship out Chung and Wilson that would be a good thing. Reported to have good football instincts, Thomas also claims he plays hard and aggressive so hopefully we'll see that.

Absolutely delighted with Jeremy Gallon!!

A few weeks ago I spoke of my medical concerns for Dobson's foot injury and how it was handled. Because of that, I was hoping we'd pick up a similar style WR in the draft. We need a back up to guarantee against injury. La Fell was a good move but we needed another, because I am concerned that Dobson's foot injury could be potentially prone to re-occurrence. So what do we do, we draft a 5'7" slot WR. We already had more than enough slot WR's before this draft. Brady must be sick to death of this bolloxology at this stage.

A few weeks ago I spoke of my medical concerns for Dobson's foot injury and how it was handled. Because of that, I was hoping we'd pick up a similar style WR in the draft. We need a back up to guarantee against injury. La Fell was a good move but we needed another, because I am concerned that Dobson's foot injury could be potentially prone to re-occurrence. So what do we do, we draft a 5'7" slot WR. We already had more than enough slot WR's before this draft. Brady must be sick to death of this bolloxology at this stage.

I'd say our number 1 UDFA target is Brandon Coleman. Tall WR from Rutgers.

i think ye have to do some trades or something before the season i cant see ye winning the sb.

gronk if healthy changes everything but it would be mad to rely on him bein healthy

amendola will get injured, as corv said above dobson has issues now

brady is a great qb but he needs help and he does not have it. and i dont think ye have a defense that can win a superbowl without help from the offense although with revis who knows.

I'd say our number 1 UDFA target is Brandon Coleman. Tall WR from Rutgers.

Dear God I hope so, I've also been hoping for an Amendola trade so if that was to happen (which is unlikely) then I could live with another slot WR on the roster.

• Advertisement

I don't think we are in bad shape at WR. We have proven talent in Edelman, La Fell and Amendola(even though he is injury prone). We have Dobson who looked better as the year went on and should improve again this year, then we have Thompkins who could be a surprise this year if he improves on his rookie year.

And then of course we have Gronk if he can stay healthy.

I think Brady has enough targets if they can stay healthy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement