Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Hazys wrote: »
    How tight was that spiral by Brady on the game winning pass?

67396_180246.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Work has me tired and just a browser these days. Don't know about you guys but I'm stoked for the summer and seeing how the team fairs out. Should find out this week if I scored tickets to a fair few games this season. Home opener against the Raiders hopefully to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I'm the same, cannot wait. The big splashes on defense have me truly excited. There's always the confidence that Brady can carry the offense to an extent. I got carried away a couple of years ago with the Brady/Welker/Gronk/Hernandez/Lloyd potential, but our defense was poor and the offense always needed to be on the top of their game. This year, our defense makes us a different monster. If the O have a bad day, the D can make up for it and vice versa. Just imagine (hopefully) - Wilfork and Tommy K making us inpenetrable to the run, taking up blockers, creating space for Jones, Nink and Easley to wreak havoc in the backfield. Hightower, Mayo and Collins making plays all over the D, with Revis shutting down one half of the field, with Browner laying the boom on the opposite side with Ryan, Dennard and Arrington coming in as cover and making picks. McCourty marshalling the top of the defense, with Harmon improving with more intelligent play. Best case scenario of course, but even if only some of them pan out, we'll be in good stead.

Same here, was hoping to give my own breakdown and opinions on the draft moves & current roster, but I just haven't had the time. Exciting summer ahead alright and it should be the most competitive camp for some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I love the look of the new D, but I think we're still in bad need of depth at LB.

Right now we only have 3 real options, and these guys wont be able to play every snap of every game over the entire season.
    There are still a few guys out there who could provide some insurance without a massive pay deal, hopefully we'll see BB go after one or two...

• Advertisement

Tom has such a habit of saying things that make me feel warm and happy. This is no different...
    Coach Belichick doesn’t care who the quarterback is here. He’s always going to play the guy who he thinks gives him the best chance to win. It’s not my role to choose players here, thankfully. And this is not the first time they’ve taken another quarterback either. There’s no entitlement in the NFL. I don’t expect to be given anything. I just hope I’m the one most entitled to play that position for a long time here.

BizzyC wrote: »
    I love the look of the new D, but I think we're still in bad need of depth at LB.

Right now we only have 3 real options, and these guys wont be able to play every snap of every game over the entire season.
    There are still a few guys out there who could provide some insurance without a massive pay deal, hopefully we'll see BB go after one or two...

It is a key area of depth need alright. We have landed a few UDFA LB's so hopefully some might pan out for us. And as you said, I think we will go after maybe another LB FA later this summer.

Home opener tickets sorted cant wait.

TO. wrote: »
    Home opener tickets sorted cant wait.

Nice one TO., delighted for ya.........

73040_man-jumps-out-window-o.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Hernandez in court today, pleads not guilty to all 7 charges. Hope the scumbag rots in prison and we get our money back.

• Advertisement

me89 wrote: »
    Hernandez in court today, pleads not guilty to all 7 charges. Hope the scumbag rots in prison and we get our money back.

The money will be coming back, but since he has two trials coming up. I'm not expecting it until 2016 at the earliest.

Love Minitron, he's a mad fecker...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,917 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The money will be coming back, but since he has two trials coming up. I'm not expecting it until 2016 at the earliest.
    We will get it back anyways with him being indicted on the July 2012 double murder but if he is charged we will get it all as soon as they do it. You can be sure the Patriots law team are ready to roll the second that happens. His grievance claim is causing issues that will go away if he is charged. The indictment alone is not enough for instant recovery of the cap money simply because it would take a lot of time to win it back legally.

I'm slowly beginning to believe that Revis is a Patriot. It's still surreal :o

Bo1ViWgCQAAymmY.png

I'm slowly beginning to believe that Revis is a Patriot. It's still surreal :o.

Even just reading that makes me...

73241_carlton_gif.gif

Its not just having Revis that is exciting, its also have Browner and Dennard with a year's experience behind him that has me excited. I also expect to see Duron Harmon take a big leap forward this season. And thats just the secondary, the guy I'm most excited about on D is Jamie Collins.

On the other side of the ball it will be exciting to see if my binkie from a year ago goes to another level. I picked Aaron Dobson as a binkie a year ago and I'm hoping to be more right about him than any other binkie I've ever picked.:)

eagle eye wrote: »
    Its not just having Revis that is exciting, its also have Browner and Dennard with a year's experience behind him that has me excited. I also expect to see Duron Harmon take a big leap forward this season. And thats just the secondary, the guy I'm most excited about on D is Jamie Collins.

On the other side of the ball it will be exciting to see if my binkie from a year ago goes to another level. I picked Aaron Dobson as a binkie a year ago and I'm hoping to be more right about him than any other binkie I've ever picked.:)

Like yourself, I'm expecting Harmon to make a big jump this year. I think we will give him more responsibility and starts in 2014. He's a talented kid and I think he's more than capable of delivering for us.

Jamie Collins is an athletic freak and I'm expecting him have a huge 2014 season. After a slow start, he was really finding his mojo in 2013 but then we ran out of games. So I think Collins could become the star of the D line in 2014.

Logan Ryan was another excellent draft pick last year. He had a very good season, unfortunately I think the arrival of Revis and Browner probably affects him more than any other players. But it wouldn't surprise me to see them try him out at Safety. For a rookie, he has shown the kind of instincts and ball hawking ability that shouldn't left on the sideline. Revis actually specifically mentioned Ryan when talking to the press last week. He said he was a very intelligent player and that coming from Revis is a serious compliment. The thought of Revis/Ryan/ Browner/Dennard sharing reps at CB is a mouthwatering prospect.

In 2013 we had 3 years worth of injuries in just one season. We were just decimated with injuries last year. So if there is anything to this karma business? Then we have paid 3-4 seasons worth of bad luck up front. So now we're due some good luck/karma. And without even looking at our offense, if our defense can stay healthy all season? Then I think they will be formidable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Apparently Jermichael Finley visited with the Pats today.

Finley is an interesting option if his medical issues are cleared.

I'd prefer not to have another injury problem TE next to Gronk, but if they can get him at good value and limit the financial risk it could be a good move.

I wouldn't touch Finley with a barge pole, because I've too many questions about his health and ability & durability to make it through a season. It's bad enough knowing we'll likely lose Gronk to some other injury before the playoffs. So the last we thing we need to be doing is signing a guy like Finley. Dustin Keller is also in the picture as a FA. So I think the questions the Pats need to ask is. Do they go for Finley and his more serious spinal issues? Or do they go with the lesser talented Keller? Personally, I think a move for Keller would be wiser and less risky from a medical perspective.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't mind as much if it were an Collie-esque deal whereby inability to play means no pay...

He will probably go to camp and the Pats will realise his shoulder/neck will never be the same. Lets face it a Tight End who has poor leverage with his arms due to a neck/shoulder injury is useless. Seems Pats giving him benefit of the doubt right now by bringing him in to test him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,378 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Anyone here know Sam Monson.

He was on Weei in Boston this morning after his less than flattering piece on Tom Brady.

The presenters and the goons that call in were not to impressed, very entertaining

http://m.weei.com/shows/dennis-callahan/home

Personally I think Brady has had that deer in the headlights look since the first Giants Superbowl loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

I can't believe how quickly Finley has recovered and am surprised he is in a position to try make a team at all. I hope he is genuinely healthy and would love to see him succeed.

Anyone here know Sam Monson.

He was on Weei in Boston this morning after his less than flattering piece on Tom Brady.

The presenters and the goons that call in were not to impressed, very I entertaining

http://m.weei.com/shows/dennis-callahan/home

Personally I think Brady has had that deer in the headlights look since the first Giants Superbowl loss.
    Personally I think you haven't a clue what you are talking about. And while I'm a Patriots fan I'm one of the first guys to ask questions about players if they are in any way warranted.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Personally I think you haven't a clue what you are talking about. And while I'm a Patriots fan I'm one of the first guys to ask questions about players if they are in any way warranted.

Dude, you shouldn't waste your time replying to that nonsense. The guy has never posted before in this thread and the latter part of the post, seems to sum up the level of football 'knowledge' we are talking about here.

Tristram wrote: »
    I can't believe how quickly Finley has recovered and am surprised he is in a position to try make a team at all. I hope he is genuinely healthy and would love to see him succeed.

It would be great to see him comeback and resurrect his career. And I would like to see him do it as a Patriot. Unfortunately though, I have serious concerns about his health and well being. Spinal fusion is serious surgery, but having vertebrae fused in the Cervical neck region, is as serious as it gets for spinal surgery. I believe both his C3 & C4 Cervical vertebrae (Neck) were fused together. And to put that in context. Any serious injury to the cervical spine/neck region from the level of C4 upwards (C3,C2,C1) can at best cause paralysis and at worst kill you. This is because C3 - C4 spinal nerves control the diaphragm (the sheet of muscle that stretches to the bottom of the rib cage) and the chest & intercostal muscles. All of which play a very important role in breathing function and respiration.

So a serious C-Spine injury from C4 upwards, is very, very likely to have you breathing via an artificial ventilator for the rest of your life. Now with all that in mind, I believe Finley has been very, very lucky not to have been paralysed for life. There was probably no more than a millimeter or two in it, that's how close it could have been for him. So imo, the guy is totally crazy to be even attempting to return to football. And here's what worries me, if he suffers a similar hit to the one he got last season, then he could possibly die on the football field.

Funny seeing all the hate Sam is getting over that article.
    It's worth taking a look at his twitter, his responses to the hate tweets are pretty good.

I like the analysis the PFF guys do, it's hard to argue against their stats.

Over the last couple of seasons Brady hasn't been a top 5 QB according to the numbers. That's not to say he isn't still a top 5 talent, he's just wasn't producing for a number of reasons.

I'm sure if you were to isolate the latter end of the season his stats would be much better, but looking at it objectively I'd have to agree.
    I'm hopeful this year will see him back to the top of the pile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

I like the analysis the PFF guys do, it's hard to argue against their stats.

If your talking about their grades, then it kind of is. The numbers come across as arbitrary.

Still better than nothing but definitely shouldn't be taken as gospel or even as statistics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Masked Man wrote: »
    If your talking about their grades, then it kind of is. The numbers come across as arbitrary.

Still better than nothing but definitely shouldn't be taken as gospel or even as statistics.

Completely agree! It is still analysis so therefore it's subjective! But it is far ahead of a lot of the "analysis" that's out there!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement